Picked up my Advanced I've got some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 12:57 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 44 Posts
Picked up my Advanced I've got some questions...

It's a nice car...it's like a spaceship compared to my 2006 4Runner (which I'm keeping BTW, great utility vehicle for adventures and bugging out). Anyways, I've got some specific questions so I thought I'd ask you all:

- I'm getting crackling in my speakers, it tends to go away over time. Is that normal during stereo break-in or something? It's build date is 11/19(year? I'm guessing). So everything still tight and snug?

- there seems to be a lot of speaker rattle. Especially in the passenger door, the silver mid range speaker seems to be creating a lot of rattle around that area. Again, normal break in? Cold morning to warmer day? Panels expanding?

- how easy is it to change oil on your own? I do my 4Runner's, was looking for a guide for the RDX.

- some times the HUD looks slight tilted to the right - as in not running parallel to the road or hood. Some times though, it does seem flat. Maybe my brain just...getting used to it? It's very strange because it's out there floating, but super convenient!

​​​​​​- the dealer installed mudflaps, but the rear mudflap on the passenger side has this super
​​​​​wide gap between the inner wheel well-wall and the actual mudflap. There are two holes that have no screws in them, but I see no holes that they line up with. They see awfully loose. What gives?

​​​​- I thought the Advanced had white ambient lighting? I see it in the door handles and barely, just barely, in the feet areas of the car. I test drove an Advanced at night before purchasing and the white lighting was much more apparent. I recall even in the back seat area there seems like white soft light was coming from some where.

- I need to replace those rims and the stock tires. I am not a fan. I'm considering 19x8.5 with some 255x50r19 wheels and tires, but I'm completely confused about what offset is. I simply want the tires to align with the fenders...I don't want them to stick out pat the fenders. What offset should I be considering given the tire size?

- has anyone thought of a more clever way to connecting your phone to the infotainment system? I'm use to the wireless Android Auto my aftermarket HU in my 4Runner, hooking it up to a cable kinda sucks so I was trying to think of some kind of new dock or something. What do you do?

- I recall seeing a thread about some plugs to make sure the dealer fills in to decrease the audible road noise, but can't find the thread now. Anyone recall it?

- does tinting the acoustic glass damage the functionality?

I'm sure I'll have more, but I'm still learning. It's an intimating piece of equipment...coming from a more basic 4th gen. 4runner.

Last edited by SpaceBot; 01-03-2020 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:04 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Speakers shouldn't be crackling or rattling.

Oil change is easy, but you have to remove a small aluminum panel to get access to the oil drain and oil filter. It will be a tighter squeeze to slide under than the 4-Runner.

Mudflap shouldn't have a gap. Installation instructions can be found on owners.acura.com in the "Acura Store". While you're there, download the Owner's Manual, which is more detailed than the Owner's Guide that came with the vehicle.

I believe ambient lighting adjusts along with the instrument panel lighting.

Tinting acoustic glass won't damage it; the acoustic layer is sandwiched between two panes of glass.

Body plugs:
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...-noise-973469/
Old 01-03-2020, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
See what different rims look like on ur spankin new Rdx--congrats....https://www.tirerack.com/content/tir.../homepage.html
Old 01-03-2020, 11:51 AM
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by SpaceBot
It's a nice car...it's like a spaceship compared to my 2006 4Runner (which I'm keeping BTW, great utility vehicle for adventures and bugging out). Anyways, I've got some specific questions so I thought I'd ask you all:

- I'm getting crackling in my speakers, it tends to go away over time. Is that normal during stereo break-in or something? It's build date is 11/19(year? I'm guessing). So everything still tight and snug?

- there seems to be a lot of speaker rattle. Especially in the passenger door, the silver mid range speaker seems to be creating a lot of rattle around that area. Again, normal break in? Cold morning to warmer day? Panels expanding?

- how easy is it to change oil on your own? I do my 4Runner's, was looking for a guide for the RDX.

- some times the HUD looks slight tilted to the right - as in not running parallel to the road or hood. Some times though, it does seem flat. Maybe my brain just...getting used to it? It's very strange because it's out there floating, but super convenient!

​​​​​​- the dealer installed mudflaps, but the rear mudflap on the passenger side has this super
​​​​​wide gap between the inner wheel well-wall and the actual mudflap. There are two holes that have no screws in them, but I see no holes that they line up with. They see awfully loose. What gives?

​​​​- I thought the Advanced had white ambient lighting? I see it in the door handles and barely, just barely, in the feet areas of the car. I test drove an Advanced at night before purchasing and the white lighting was much more apparent. I recall even in the back seat area there seems like white soft light was coming from some where.

- I need to replace those rims and the stock tires. I am not a fan. I'm considering 19x8.5 with some 255x50r19 wheels and tires, but I'm completely confused about what offset is. I simply want the tires to align with the fenders...I don't want them to stick out pat the fenders. What offset should I be considering given the tire size?

- has anyone thought of a more clever way to connecting your phone to the infotainment system? I'm use to the wireless Android Auto my aftermarket HU in my 4Runner, hooking it up to a cable kinda sucks so I was trying to think of some kind of new dock or something. What do you do?

- I recall seeing a thread about some plugs to make sure the dealer fills in to decrease the audible road noise, but can't find the thread now. Anyone recall it?

- does tinting the acoustic glass damage the functionality?

I'm sure I'll have more, but I'm still learning. It's an intimating piece of equipment...coming from a more basic 4th gen. 4runner.
i have some crackling in my speakers too that i just started noticing, initially i thought i was just running into dirt or sand on the road, but then i kept noticing it, i get it alot when i go WOT in the morning.

oh and i have my front windows tinted and the acoustic glass is not affected.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
RE: the speakers, not normal and take it back. My TSX had to have multiple speakers replaced within the first year or so of ownership.
Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Have the dealer fix the mudflaps
Old 01-03-2020, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
Have the dealer fix the mudflaps
Yeesh. OP already asked about DIY oil change. Show some respect.

If the darn thing has to go in to get the speakers and rattles fixed, maybe.

But I forgot about the links on the forum for accessory installation instructions:

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/BII07802-10.PDF
Old 01-04-2020, 07:54 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Speaker hiss, panel rattle... none of that seems normal; I have a Tech 2020 that hasn’t shown any of those signs.

i can’t speak to the other questions you raise but I did see that there’s an aftermarket wireless CarPlay module you can get for $160 that specifically lists compatibility with Acura; https://carplay2air.com/. Thinking about getting one myself. Similar looking devices can be found on Amazon for $60-$90, but with mixed reviews.

Last edited by Waetherman; 01-04-2020 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:23 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Edit: it looks like the ones on Amazon (CarLinkit) require the installation of an APK on the head unit. Version 2.0 of that is the same price as the Car2Play unit, and may not require the APK.