Next Gen of RDX!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 12:29 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
That gear selector is in a lot of supercars (e.g. Ferrari). Did those precede the NSX or follow it?
May be did but it was not a common practice in day-to-day cars. Also, all those cars have buttons and not a logical way Acura introduced it. I invite you to check 2024 Cayenne gear selector and let me know your thoughts
Old 05-17-2023, 12:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
May be did but it was not a common practice in day-to-day cars. Also, all those cars have buttons and not a logical way Acura introduced it. I invite you to check 2024 Cayenne gear selector and let me know your thoughts
Porsche interior design has never been to my taste and yeah the German auto makers have all being producing really weird gear selectors for a few years.
The following users liked this post:
Tony Pac (05-17-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 01:13 PM
AZ Community Team

Porsche interior design has never been to my taste and yeah the German auto makers have all being producing really weird gear selectors for a few years.
Not sure what happened. Just weird and really laughable. I used Genesis G80 and it's not bad but still kinda weird too. Two massive dials - one for the Infotainment and another the gear selector. I would say still better than Porsche and BMW.
Old 05-17-2023, 11:17 PM
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think adding an electric motor to the existing 2.0 Turbo is next up. That’s my speculation!
Old 05-17-2023, 11:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by reggieburris
I think adding an electric motor to the existing 2.0 Turbo is next up. That’s my speculation!
Unless they are backpedaling, there is zero chance that will happen.
https://insideevs.com/news/552714/ac...brids-for-evs/
Old 05-18-2023, 06:28 AM
mvl
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 160 Posts
2025 is enough time for Acura to have changed their mind from their EV only pipe dream.

It is hard to read many manufacturers: Toyota is one of the few brands with the guts to speak out publicly that EVs are only "compliance cars" outside of the few places where regulations and incentives are so persuasive that over 25% of the population prefers an EV. Outside of those geographic bubbles most car manufacturers know that infrastructure won't allow that situation to change for at least the rest of this decade.

Car manufacturers have to pretend to be all in on EVs to satisfy regulators and activist investors, but know that at the end of the day the sales aren't going to be there for at least 5 years. But activist investors get to choose the CEO, and it is hard to say whether Honda's new "all in on EV" CEO means what he says or is just pacifiing the audience.

On the other hand, hybrids have finally achieved the business case: savings from regen braking on gas and brake pads has finally outweighed the costs of low range batteries and electric motors. And the public is realizing it which is why it is still so hard to find supply of hybrid cars, while demand for ICE-only has dried up and there is a growing glut of unsold ICE-only vehicles.

The ZDX will cannabalize any EV-RDX sales, so the only option for Acura is to release a non-EV for the 4th gen RDX. Planning a car takes 3-5 years, and I don't know if the above facts were predictable enough to Honda designers when the 4G RDX planning cycle started. Knowing above it is obvious that a 4th Gen RDX would be a hybrid if they could plan it today, but with planning probably in 2020/2021 there is an unfortunate chance that it could be ICE-only. If I were Acura and I was stuck with the unfortunate timing of an ICE-only RDX for the 4th gen, I would cancel the product as it obviously wont sell, and just dedicate the parts and assembly line time to the ZDX and the CRV Hybrid.

The only thing for Acura to consider is the election. If republicans take the white house in 2024 then gas prices in 2025 will be cut in half, and ICE-only will again be viable for the RDX (although still a bit unfavorable to a hybrid as R&D would be ammortized by then). I think there will be a lag in public awareness so market demand probably wouldn't shift until 2026, similar to how Hybrid demand took until about 2022 to pick up after the last election.

Last edited by mvl; 05-18-2023 at 06:37 AM.
RDX10 (05-19-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 09:52 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by mvl
2025 is enough time for Acura to have changed their mind from their EV only pipe dream.

It is hard to read many manufacturers: Toyota is one of the few brands with the guts to speak out publicly that EVs are only "compliance cars" outside of the few places where regulations and incentives are so persuasive that over 25% of the population prefers an EV. Outside of those geographic bubbles most car manufacturers know that infrastructure won't allow that situation to change for at least the rest of this decade.

Car manufacturers have to pretend to be all in on EVs to satisfy regulators and activist investors, but know that at the end of the day the sales aren't going to be there for at least 5 years. But activist investors get to choose the CEO, and it is hard to say whether Honda's new "all in on EV" CEO means what he says or is just pacifiing the audience.

On the other hand, hybrids have finally achieved the business case: savings from regen braking on gas and brake pads has finally outweighed the costs of low range batteries and electric motors. And the public is realizing it which is why it is still so hard to find supply of hybrid cars, while demand for ICE-only has dried up and there is a growing glut of unsold ICE-only vehicles.

The ZDX will cannabalize any EV-RDX sales, so the only option for Acura is to release a non-EV for the 4th gen RDX. Planning a car takes 3-5 years, and I don't know if the above facts were predictable enough to Honda designers when the 4G RDX planning cycle started. Knowing above it is obvious that a 4th Gen RDX would be a hybrid if they could plan it today, but with planning probably in 2020/2021 there is an unfortunate chance that it could be ICE-only. If I were Acura and I was stuck with the unfortunate timing of an ICE-only RDX for the 4th gen, I would cancel the product as it obviously wont sell, and just dedicate the parts and assembly line time to the ZDX and the CRV Hybrid.

The only thing for Acura to consider is the election. If republicans take the white house in 2024 then gas prices in 2025 will be cut in half, and ICE-only will again be viable for the RDX (although still a bit unfavorable to a hybrid as R&D would be ammortized by then). I think there will be a lag in public awareness so market demand probably wouldn't shift until 2026, similar to how Hybrid demand took until about 2022 to pick up after the last election.
This is a well thought out, well presented and insightful post. Thank you!

As far as I know, none of have a crystal ball, so we will just have to wait and see. LOL
Old 05-19-2023, 04:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by mapleloaf
I am two months into my 2022 RDX PMC, and had over two years with my 2021 TLX ASpec, both with the True Touch Pad. Overall, I prefer the TTP to a touch screen, for the following reasons:
1. I hate fingerprints - TTP does away with that.
2. I prefer not to have to reach to touch a very specific spot on a touchscreen, which can be quite distracting.
3. When not in Apple Car Play mode, I find the menus easily accessible with the TTP, again without taking eyes completely off the road.
4. In Apple Car Play mode, the swipe motion is still second nature, but my use of the screens is limited to tunes for the most part.
5. Perhaps because I was born without an Ipad or equivalent attached to me, my ability to adapt, despite being in my senior years, is greater than many here.
6. I think clunky or awkward is a word that most reviewers use with very little time on the system. I mastered in 30 min or less, but then I'm not 30 something with a passion for German stuff.
7. I love different , especially when I find it safer and easier in many respects.

All of that being said, I suspect Acura will move to a touch screen, o perhaps add a rotary knob (remember the two screen - touch & rotary knob? I adapted just fine but that was a little confusing at first blush. If the move to a touch screen, ala the Integra, I suspect there would be a small bump in business.
This is exactly what I am expecting as well, with Lexus moving to a touch screen and doing away with their horrific mouse pad controller Acura would be stupid not to follow suit, at the minimum moving the screen forward a few inches and giving the option for both a touch screen and the TT. I personally think they should have just kept the old dial but moved it down near the cupholders.

Ok I thought you were kidding Tony. Normally you and I as fellow Canadians see eye to eye and I thought to myself he's exaggerating this time. Surely it isn't THAT BAD.....I was wrong. You are not exaggerating in the slightest, it is HORRENDOUS. What in the fresh hell were they thinking?

Also can we agree that this trend of putting a digital gauge cluster, 12+ inch navigation screen, AND another screen in front of the passenger is getting ridiculous? I'm just imagining the nightmare of trying to repair that passenger screen if shit hits the fan.

Last edited by RDX10; 05-19-2023 at 04:09 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
HotRodW (05-19-2023), Tony Pac (05-19-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 07:28 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
For my driving habits, EVs might be the long term future but are not ready for my prime time near term. The reasons are well documented. When I drive several hundred miles, I don't want to plan the trip around charging locations in open country and when I get there don't want to spend an inordinate time in a queue and then waiting for the battery to be charged. Been there and done that with the long gas lines of years ago. Those without a garage to park their vehicle can't start the day out with a fully charged vehicle and must find a charging station during the day Those with a garage may want to upgrade their electrical connection to reduce charge times. My 2019 RDX will probably be with me for quite a period of time. The odometer mileage is not that high which is a bonus for that strategy.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:17 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by RDX10
This is exactly what I am expecting as well, with Lexus moving to a touch screen and doing away with their horrific mouse pad controller Acura would be stupid not to follow suit, at the minimum moving the screen forward a few inches and giving the option for both a touch screen and the TT. I personally think they should have just kept the old dial but moved it down near the cupholders.

Ok I thought you were kidding Tony. Normally you and I as fellow Canadians see eye to eye and I thought to myself he's exaggerating this time. Surely it isn't THAT BAD.....I was wrong. You are not exaggerating in the slightest, it is HORRENDOUS. What in the fresh hell were they thinking?

Also can we agree that this trend of putting a digital gauge cluster, 12+ inch navigation screen, AND another screen in front of the passenger is getting ridiculous? I'm just imagining the nightmare of trying to repair that passenger screen if shit hits the fan.
Honestly, it's horrible! I know we are the minority but these digital gauges and all other gimmicks are taking away the real fun from cars. People are impressed by a large screen rather than actual car. It reminds me of Hollywood movies: There is no longer good content and story but all you will see VFX/green screen to excite the audience. Sad reality of today's world!
NBPDC505 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-19-2023, 03:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd like to see an EV maker break the trend and put in analog gauges, physical buttons and small screen for infotainment.
Old 05-19-2023, 04:19 PM
mvl
Pro

I'd like to see an EV maker break the trend and put in analog gauges, physical buttons and small screen for infotainment.
Acura has bucked the trend so far and really focused on in car usability, even at the expense of touch. More physical buttons than most in its class and that is awesome. I really hope the ZDX keeps some of that, but Apple is dashing my hope by saying that an Acura will be a nextgen carplay launch brand this fall, obvious home would be the ZDX. Nextgen carplay will allow apple to take over every screen in your car, under the assumption that everything is a screen.

Now there could be a play for the ZDX to be the screenlover's car on Ultium, and the 4thgen RDX could be the knob-lovers car on Honda eArchitecture, essentially letting a BEV RDX cannibalize ZDX sales. Honda should care less about Ultium ever since they went direct to LG and built their own Ohio battery plant that should be live just in time for the 4thgen RDX.

Then they could let the screelovers eventually abandon Ultim and start playing PS6 games on Afeela.

That would really suck as I like Acura service but live outside an EV regulatory bubble, so I may need to be forced to buy a Honda Touring Elite as my next car.

I'd rather they devote the Ohio batteries to making the 4th gen RDX a hybrid, but it may be too late for Acura to pivot at this point.

Last edited by mvl; 05-19-2023 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-20-2023, 12:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Honestly, it's horrible! I know we are the minority but these digital gauges and all other gimmicks are taking away the real fun from cars. People are impressed by a large screen rather than actual car. It reminds me of Hollywood movies: There is no longer good content and story but all you will see VFX/green screen to excite the audience. Sad reality of today's world!
They're great for people who only lease or trade up their vehicle ever couple years but I don't want to be stuck with some 5k repair down the line. Plus IMO the analog is safer, if that screen goes out I'm screwed.
Tony Pac (05-20-2023)
Old 05-20-2023, 10:39 AM
AZ Community Team

They're great for people who only lease or trade up their vehicle ever couple years but I don't want to be stuck with some 5k repair down the line. Plus IMO the analog is safer, if that screen goes out I'm screwed.
True and I don't usually lease. I buy and keep my cars.

Mazda CX5 is the only car that I have been leasing but now that the kids are growing, we won't need a MDX and CX-5. The TLX TYPE S is in the pipeline for me
RDX10 (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:40 AM
Suzuka Master

True and I don't usually lease. I buy and keep my cars.

Mazda CX5 is the only car that I have been leasing but now that the kids are growing, we won't need a MDX and CX-5. The TLX TYPE S is in the pipeline for me
Ooohhh make sure to post pics! I absolutely LOVE what they've done with the 2G TLX.
Tony Pac (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 08:07 AM
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Great Looking Car

Whenever I’m at the dealer, couple of times a year for oil change or state inspection and free car wash, I get approached by a salesperson wanting to show me the latest-and-greatest 2023 and how easy it would be to unload that hunkajunk 2020 with 25K miles on it. Uh, for basically the same car and that touchpad? Good belly laugh.

No touchpad for me. Yes I know how to use it and yes I hate it,

Other posters commented on the RDX’s enduring good looks. I concur. People laugh but another car with enduring good looks back in the day was the 1965+ Corvair. (I had a worked-on ‘66 Corsa.) GM had some really good designers back then but the accountants kept the engineers from doing what was needed. Sad.

So the RDX stays in the family. If a son needs a car (like the 2013 and 2017 RDXs) they can have it, with a Honda CRV Touring Hybrid in our sights. No warranty issues with the RDX.

Last edited by CanTex; 05-22-2023 at 08:10 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by CanTex
Whenever I’m at the dealer, couple of times a year for oil change or state inspection and free car wash, I get approached by a salesperson wanting to show me the latest-and-greatest 2023 and how easy it would be to unload that hunkajunk 2020 with 25K miles on it. Uh, for basically the same car and that touchpad? Good belly laugh.

No touchpad for me. Yes I know how to use it and yes I hate it,

Other posters commented on the RDX’s enduring good looks. I concur. People laugh but another car with enduring good looks back in the day was the 1965+ Corvair. (I had a worked-on ‘66 Corsa.) GM had some really good designers back then but the accountants kept the engineers from doing what was needed. Sad.

So the RDX stays in the family. If a son needs a car (like the 2013 and 2017 RDXs) they can have it, with a Honda CRV Touring Hybrid in our sights. No warranty issues with the RDX.
Totally agreed. In the looks department the RDX is top notch but that touch pad was the worst thing they could have done. They reinvented the wheel (literally though) for no reason.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
markAZ (05-23-2023), supafamous (05-22-2023)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Totally agreed. In the looks department the RDX is top notch but that touch pad was the worst thing they could have done. They reinvented the wheel (literally though) for no reason.
100%. Great looking car, good value but I'm 99% selling it once the CX-70 PHEV shows up and that touchpad is another of the list of reasons that I'm getting rid of it. It's just terrible - I don't like touchscreens much either but that would have been a better solution than the touchpad.
Old 05-22-2023, 07:02 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I might have to jump ship if Acura skips hybrid/plug-in hybrid powertrains for the 4th Gen RDX and 5th gen MDX. The Mazda CX-90 hybrid in 4-5 years would be a good replacement for my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid or 19 MDX Sport Hybrid starting in 2028. I just did a 1000 mile round-trip from ABQ to Denver over the weekend in my MDX Sport Hybrid. Took a bathroom break in Trinidad, CO, and there were quite a few Tesla's charging for 1-2 hours minimal. Can't imagine having to stop 2-36 hours to recharge Level 2/3 chargers compared to 15-30 minutes total time to refuel on a 1000 mile trip with my Sport Hybrid.
Old 06-13-2023, 02:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by supafamous
100%. Great looking car, good value but I'm 99% selling it once the CX-70 PHEV shows up and that touchpad is another of the list of reasons that I'm getting rid of it. It's just terrible - I don't like touchscreens much either but that would have been a better solution than the touchpad.
I'm not sure what possessed them to think something that requires fine motor coordination in a moving vehicle was a good idea. But I can bet money that it is going away soon.
EFR (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 06:59 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I might have to jump ship if Acura skips hybrid/plug-in hybrid powertrains for the 4th Gen RDX and 5th gen MDX. The Mazda CX-90 hybrid in 4-5 years would be a good replacement for my 18 RLX Sport Hybrid or 19 MDX Sport Hybrid starting in 2028. I just did a 1000 mile round-trip from ABQ to Denver over the weekend in my MDX Sport Hybrid. Took a bathroom break in Trinidad, CO, and there were quite a few Tesla's charging for 1-2 hours minimal. Can't imagine having to stop 2-36 hours to recharge Level 2/3 chargers compared to 15-30 minutes total time to refuel on a 1000 mile trip with my Sport Hybrid.
The local Las Vegas news did a piece on EV's a few days ago, focusing on people that had made the drive from Phoenix to Vegas. There were more complaints than anything, the amount of time it takes to charge, getting to a charging station and finding numerous chargers inoperative and a line waiting, getting to a charging station and finding some with low power output compared to what they are supposed to put out resulting in longer charge time, or however it was stated. On a related note, Toyota announced some news on EV's today with 750 plus mile range and 10 minute charge time. How much that is vaporware, or real expectations, I am not sure. I just heard a snippet on TV.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:14 PM
mvl
Pro

Toyoya said their researchers found a way to make solid state batteries viable. Solid state batterries were known for a 10 min charge for 500 miles (essentially meeting the convenience of gasoline), but no one had (previously) figured out how to make them last longer than a hundred recharges.

It was always assumed that this next gen battery tech was about 3-5 years out and Toyota is on that schedule.

The real problem is what the Phoenix drivers complained about: chargers unavailable, inoperable or used up. The labor it takes to deploy all the power grid capacity, coupled with a generation who was told to get a desk job and not get their hands dirty in construction, means the US has capacity to handle maybe 3-5% increase growth per year in EV market share. It will be decades before our power grid can catch up.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:27 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

I think, with what you wrote, that a problem is also......would you buy todays EV technology if this solid state tech was really 3-5 years out? Personally, I think I would just wait. Let the tech play out, let the grid play out. Interesting that you say 500 miles...I could swear I heard 750 but maybe I was not paying that close attention, or the news brief was wrong.
Old 06-13-2023, 07:33 PM
mvl
Pro

Maybe 750 in a Yaris....

Or maybe Toyota improved on the tech...
Old 06-13-2023, 07:41 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Either way, all pretty impressive numbers....for EV
Old 06-14-2023, 07:03 AM
mrgold35

I imagine the same conversations were happening +110 years ago when the Model T was about to hit the (dirt) roads. Same arguments around the kerosene oil lamps hunch over because of rickets complaining about the lack of infrastructure, energy demands, pollution/environmental concerns, maintenance issue, refueling issues, gas powered cars being rammed down our collective throats, nothing wrong with horse crap in the streets, WTF am I gonna do now about my horse & wagon, etc... I don't think the Model T was more than 25hp, top speed under 50 mph, and maybe 20-25 mpgs.

We figured it out back then sparked all kinds of service centers, refueling stations, infrastructure, aftermarket support, and vehicle innovations that resulted in personal freedom, access to jobs/services, housing opportunities, vacations, and sporting events (Indy 500, NASCAR, Formula, monster trucks, Drag racing, Baja 1000, etc...). BEVs, PHEV, and hybrids are for our kids, grandkids, and great-grandkids futures. I can see BEVs or hybrid EV going 1000 miles minimal on a single charge with or without some type of fuel (gas, hydrogen, induction re-charge system, solar, etc...). We gotta start somewhere slowly steering the ship away from the iceberg or we are just going to hand the wheel over to our grandkids as the last seconds before hitting.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:00 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
I expect the next gen Rdx to be evolutionary, not a significant change. Look at 2G. They upgrade to v6 but remove shawd, soften ride, tone down the styling. Then 3G was complete bold redesign
Tony Pac (06-27-2023)
Old 06-27-2023, 09:18 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by FlopMeister
I expect the next gen Rdx to be evolutionary, not a significant change. Look at 2G. They upgrade to v6 but remove shawd, soften ride, tone down the styling. Then 3G was complete bold redesign
I am very confused with 4th Gen RDX. No one knows anything....not a single spy shot. My dealer is very well informed and I get some serious updates from the sales director. He told me he has Zero news about the next gen RDX. Acura's focus is on the following cars until end of the year.

1. ITS (WIP)
2. ZDX/ZDX TYPES
3. TLX Refresh
4. MDX refresh

But no news about the RDX or RDX TYPE S. Let's wait and see However, he said, Acura may have a pleasant surprise for everyone next summer as 2025 model.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:40 PM
Suzuka Master

I am very confused with 4th Gen RDX. No one knows anything....not a single spy shot. My dealer is very well informed and I get some serious updates from the sales director. He told me he has Zero news about the next gen RDX. Acura's focus is on the following cars until end of the year.

1. ITS (WIP)
2. ZDX/ZDX TYPES
3. TLX Refresh
4. MDX refresh

But no news about the RDX or RDX TYPE S. Let's wait and see However, he said, Acura may have a pleasant surprise for everyone next summer as 2025 model.
How strange considering the RDX is in an extremely hot segment.
Old 06-27-2023, 04:43 PM
mvl
Pro

ITS/ZDX/TLX are all announced as my2024. Since the RDX MMR was 2022, it would be a MY2025 so quite far away.

MDX is weird: 4th gen was launched in 2020 and branded as a 2022, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to see its MMR labeled as MY2025 but sold late this year or early next, which is why spy shots are starting to leak..
Old 06-27-2023, 06:39 PM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mvl
ITS/ZDX/TLX are all announced as my2024. Since the RDX MMR was 2022, it would be a MY2025 so quite far away.

MDX is weird: 4th gen was launched in 2020 and branded as a 2022, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to see its MMR labeled as MY2025 but sold late this year or early next, which is why spy shots are starting to leak..
So you think the RDX will be out in 2025? That's far.
Old 06-28-2023, 07:43 PM
mvl
Pro

So you think the RDX will be out in 2025? That's far.
My25 on sale summer of 2024 would be the typical Acura schedule: 19 new gen, 22 mmr, 25 new gen.

If I were to guess at product launches:
2q23: 24 ITS
3q23: ADX (Acura HRV)
4Q23: 24 TLX MMR
1Q24: ZDX
2Q24: 25 MDX MMR
3Q24: 25 RDX 4th gen

Last edited by mvl; 06-28-2023 at 07:55 PM.
Tony Pac (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
What ever Acura does, skip the Plug In Hybrid. Just an expensive waste of time and resources. Do a dedicated Hybrid system that can recharge itself and almost double the MPG (especially city).
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
ESHBG (06-30-2023), MJ4RDX (06-29-2023)
Old 06-29-2023, 07:51 AM
AZ Community Team

Originally Posted by mvl
My25 on sale summer of 2024 would be the typical Acura schedule: 19 new gen, 22 mmr, 25 new gen.

If I were to guess at product launches:
2q23: 24 ITS
3q23: ADX (Acura HRV)
4Q23: 24 TLX MMR
1Q24: ZDX
2Q24: 25 MDX MMR
3Q24: 25 RDX 4th gen
You nailed this part....I am just not sure about ADX,
Old 06-29-2023, 10:53 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
What ever Acura does, skip the Plug In Hybrid. Just an expensive waste of time and resources. Do a dedicated Hybrid system that can recharge itself and almost double the MPG (especially city).
It might depend on if Acura leans towards a MDX/RLX/NSX Sport Hybrid version or Accord/CR-V MPG Hybrid system. Because of the higher starting price of an Acura, they might have to increase the battery size and have a plug-in option to qualify for the tax credit. My MDX and RLX Sport Hybrids don't qualify for any tax credits because of the small 1.3kWh battery size. My savings is my gas bill almost cut by 30%-40% range compared to my 11 MDX and 08 RDX. A future MDX/RDX Hybrid would need at least 5X-6X larger battery pack for a minimal of 7kWh to start to qualify with the new tax rebate requirements up to $7500.
Old 06-29-2023, 11:26 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
While more expensive (though it can be offset by federal and state credits), a plug-in hybrid is still able to recharge itself and has MPGs almost as good as a regular hybrid. The only efficiency difference is that it's carrying a much larger (and heavier) battery pack so naturally the MPGs will be a little lower than a regular hybrid with a smaller pack. Other than that the principle is exactly the same. If you have a commute less than 30 miles or so (or longer if you can charger at work) a PHEV is far superior to a regular hybrid in terms of overall efficiency and drivability.
Old 10-01-2023, 09:57 AM
Racer

Fishing around using DuckDuckGo and Google, the reports on the 2025 RDX are expectedly vague. Nice new all-electronic instrument panel, ICE with more power, a bit bigger. BUT the push button transmission controls and Touch Pad may survive. WRONG ANSWER! If this is indeed true, we need to move on to a CR-V Touring with an actual touch screen and stick. (We rented a GMC Acadia and they had the niftiest shifter: a horizontal row of pull buttons at the base of the center stack - I’d rather have the stick but this wasn’t bad.)

Re: CR-V: As age and infirmities increase, the extra features of an Acura just aren’t worth it. But we would miss the quieter ride, the handling and the grunt.
Old 10-01-2023, 11:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CanTex
Fishing around using DuckDuckGo and Google, the reports on the 2025 RDX are expectedly vague. Nice new all-electronic instrument panel, ICE with more power, a bit bigger. BUT the push button transmission controls and Touch Pad may survive. WRONG ANSWER! If this is indeed true, we need to move on to a CR-V Touring with an actual touch screen and stick. (We rented a GMC Acadia and they had the niftiest shifter: a horizontal row of pull buttons at the base of the center stack - I’d rather have the stick but this wasn’t bad.)

Re: CR-V: As age and infirmities increase, the extra features of an Acura just aren’t worth it. But we would miss the quieter ride, the handling and the grunt.
The last time I tried a CR-V the seats had the comfort of a bench.
Old 10-01-2023, 12:37 PM
Racer

Time for a butt test…
Old 10-01-2023, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
The All New 2023/2024 CRV Hybrid sport touring has great seats and interior + a touch screen. Super good looking design - IMO. Good friend of mine bought one, she loves it and averages 38mpg. My RDX may be faster, but averages 21mpg over 21k miles.

Toyota is focusing on the Hybrid route right now, which I wish Acura would.

Quick Reply: Next Gen of RDX!