New owner - Semi regretful

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2020, 11:09 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
the problems you originally listed seem minuscule. Not worthy enough to take a big financial loss returning your lease in early. Wish I was rich enough to be fickle minded.
I understand this is a forum of Acura loyalist & enthusiast so I do not take anyones replies personal when they don't agree with me. We all have opinions and our lives are different and require different needs.

I made an honest post about how I felt after getting my new car. It doesn't matter what I purchase, if there are issues with it I do not mind talking about them. I hold companies to higher standards and try not to have "fanboy'ism" to justify my purchases and let companies slide if quality is poor.

Last edited by murdermaschine; 02-08-2020 at 11:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (02-10-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 11:16 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I agree that the RDX is a decent car IF the problems that shouldn't have happened didn't. However, there are problems with it that shouldn't have been there in the first place. I've never had a car that had brake squeal which continued happening even after the latest TSB has been applied. I've never had a car where I had to take it in within a year to have the battery replaced and AIS stopped working because of a sunlight sensor failure. I've never had a car where I had to bring into the dealer because the interior trim pieces were misaligned. I've never had a car where the infotainment freaked out on me and the screen between my gauges and my infotainment system shut down in the middle of driving. I shouldn't have had the tailgate groan. I shouldn't have the audio popping noises at times and some breaks in my music when connected using Apple Carplay. Keep in mind this is a $50k+ car for me, the second most expensive vehicle I have ever bought. Even my cheaper cars never had these issues. The camera quality is even worse than my 2013 G37x which I traded in, and about on par with the 2007 Lexus ES I currently own. The camera is pretty unusable at night. I have to admit, the QC on the RDX is pretty abysmal, judging by my own experiences and experiences of many others on this thread. Maybe some owners aren't as OCD about it, but if you look closely, I guarantee you'll find more QC problems than other manufacturers.

Acura advertised all these features for the car, but some of them feels half baked to me and that Acura threw it in there just to list it as a feature.

Most of the negative comments I see here are pretty legit. There are only a couple threads here and there that are kind of dumb to complain about.
My audio started doing the popping thing on Spotify today on my music that is downloaded to the phone. Brakes make noise now, I have the un-even seal on the moonroof. The stuff just keeps adding up
Old 02-09-2020, 07:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
The massive problems you describe do not happen to everyone
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
but if they happen to you then they are real and they suck. That was my only point. I want to hear about every problem so I can make an informed decision about which ones matter to me and which don't. I have owned ONLY Acura since 1988 so I am very brand loyal, but I still want to hear what other say. If someone says that the seats are too hard, then when I do a test drive I pay attention to that. I usually do at least 3 or 4 full day test drives on any car that I drive since I spend about 2 hours a day with my commute.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:30 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
The massive problems you describe do not happen to everyone
Nobody said they happened to everyone. The problems happen to quite a few people that there was a class action lawsuit for the infotainment system and TSBs for brake squeal. That is not a good sign Judging by the forum AND on Facebook group threads, people do have the tailgate issue and QC issues.

I'm starting to see a suspension creaking/squeaking issue and sunroof seal issue that some people are experiencing. It's good to be informed and look out for these. I can tell you that if it weren't for this forum, I would have probably overlooked some of these issues.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-09-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:00 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses from the different perspectives. It’s still towards the top of my list, my current lease is up in July but starting the search now.
As many have mentioned it’s all about tolerances on what issues you want to deal with. No matter the brand I have learned it is basically a car lottery on whether you get a great, good, fair or a lemon. My current vehicle which is a Durango in theory should be a disaster because of its rated reliability. In fact it has been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned. I would easily get another one but looking to downsize and want something more agile and athletic with a fun to drive experience. If I went this route it would be my first Acura.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Nobody said they happened to everyone. The problems happen to quite a few people that there was a class action lawsuit for the infotainment system and TSBs for brake squeal. That is not a good sign Judging by the forum AND on Facebook group threads, people do have the tailgate issue and QC issues.

I'm starting to see a suspension creaking/squeaking issue and sunroof seal issue that some people are experiencing. It's good to be informed and look out for these. I can tell you that if it weren't for this forum, I would have probably overlooked some of these issues.
None of us have real statistics for 60K units sold, but judging from these forums these are the problem areas that affect many people:
- squeaky suspension - dealer will install updated lower control arms, which resolve issue for most of the people.
- infotainment - mostly minimized with latest software update. I suspect there will be more updates coming as they are planning to use the same system in 2021 TLX.
- squeaky brakes - go to the dealer and they will install new ones. Mine used to squal, but stopped on their own. Whats your sensitivity to occasional brake noise?
- popping noise for rear gate - competent dealer can fix it for you
- sunroof gasket not flush - same, go to the dealer.

There are other problems of course (like limp mode) that impact smaller set of people, but these are the main ones. I dont find the above list "critical", you can still drive your car and there is no safety hazard. At your convenience, you drop car to dealer, and they can take care of it. Is this ideal for new car? No. Lexus for example is very good at initial quality, you most likely won't need to go to the dealer. But as some people mentioned, there is no equivalent CUV you can buy from Lexus.
I've owned 3 Acura, they all needed a little help from dealer when they were new, but after that initial phase of working out through issues, they gave me no more troubles. I am hoping that most issues will be resolved while RDX is still under warranty, and it will be just like previous Acura.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
None of us have real statistics for 60K units sold, but judging from these forums these are the problem areas that affect many people:
- squeaky suspension - dealer will install updated lower control arms, which resolve issue for most of the people.
- infotainment - mostly minimized with latest software update. I suspect there will be more updates coming as they are planning to use the same system in 2021 TLX.
- squeaky brakes - go to the dealer and they will install new ones. Mine used to squal, but stopped on their own. Whats your sensitivity to occasional brake noise?
- popping noise for rear gate - competent dealer can fix it for you
- sunroof gasket not flush - same, go to the dealer.

There are other problems of course (like limp mode) that impact smaller set of people, but these are the main ones. I dont find the above list "critical", you can still drive your car and there is no safety hazard. At your convenience, you drop car to dealer, and they can take care of it. Is this ideal for new car? No. Lexus for example is very good at initial quality, you most likely won't need to go to the dealer. But as some people mentioned, there is no equivalent CUV you can buy from Lexus.
I've owned 3 Acura, they all needed a little help from dealer when they were new, but after that initial phase of working out through issues, they gave me no more troubles. I am hoping that most issues will be resolved while RDX is still under warranty, and it will be just like previous Acura.
Re-read your post to see how ridiculous it sounds.

Great car, you just need updated control arms, new brakes and major work on sunroof and hatch. Your infotainment system will mostly work.

I've owned two Acuras and my sister has owned 4. None of them had any issues even as "minor" as these.

To say that these are all minor insignificant issues is absurd. You can say "I don't care", but you can't make that determination for others.

The RDX was released to mostly accolades - now, every reviewer is a lot less enthusiastic.

Is it an awful car? Of course not, but to deny that it has some annoying issues that affect a great number of cars is absurd.
The following users liked this post:
acuraada (02-10-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ceb
Re-read your post to see how ridiculous it sounds.

Great car, you just need updated control arms, new brakes and major work on sunroof and hatch. Your infotainment system will mostly work.

I've owned two Acuras and my sister has owned 4. None of them had any issues even as "minor" as these.

To say that these are all minor insignificant issues is absurd. You can say "I don't care", but you can't make that determination for others.

The RDX was released to mostly accolades - now, every reviewer is a lot less enthusiastic.

Is it an awful car? Of course not, but to deny that it has some annoying issues that affect a great number of cars is absurd.
Hey, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, these problems are not serious problems in my book if they can be resolved at the dealer. If someone can't handle it, then I agree, do not buy RDX.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:17 AM
Pro

Hey, everyone is entitled to his own opinion, these problems are not serious problems in my book if they can be resolved at the dealer. If someone can't handle it, then I agree, do not buy RDX.
Maybe for you, time isn’t money but for most of us it is. Some Acura dealers for some people are an hour away.

They are serious problems if other brands don’t have frivolous issues like these. These issues are simple and should not have been there at delivery.

Having to bring a car to a dealer for frivolous issues does impact its reliability. To me, reliability means not having to bring it to a dealer.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-09-2020 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:19 AM
Suzuka Master

maybe I am lucky, my Acura dealer is 5min from my house, and I just get a loaner every time to go to work while they are fixing stuff. So not that much time is wasted.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:24 AM
Pro

maybe I am lucky, my Acura dealer is 5min from my house, and I just get a loaner every time to go to work while they are fixing stuff. So not that much time is wasted.
But to tell others that these aren’t serious issues doesn’t make sense. For most people they are definitely annoying and even my SO says my car sucks because I have to bring it to the dealer many times. She prefers her cheap RAV4 because it is just super reliable and has no QC issues. She asks me why I spent so much money on it and yet needs to be taken in.

I have to defend my purchase to my own SO and even my friends when they hear I have to bring my car to the dealer for yet another frivolous issue.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Suzuka Master

But to tell others that these aren’t serious issues doesn’t make sense. For most people they are definitely annoying and even my SO says my car sucks because I have to bring it to the dealer many times. She prefers her cheap RAV4 because it is just super reliable and has no QC issues. She asks me why I spent so much money on it and yet needs to be taken in.

I have to defend my purchase to my own SO and even my friends when they hear I have to bring my car to the dealer for yet another frivolous issue.
Serious issue is when you can't drive your car or it has safety issue. These issues are annoying, but not serious. If prospective buyer is reading this thread, they have to be prepared to deal with these issues or consider buying different car
Old 02-09-2020, 11:44 AM
Pro

Serious issue is when you can't drive your car or it has safety issue. These issues are annoying, but not serious. If prospective buyer is reading this thread, they have to be prepared to deal with these issues or consider buying different car
I had the TSB applied for the brake squeal and it is still going on.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:52 AM
Suzuka Master

I had the TSB applied for the brake squeal and it is still going on.
And I had a brake squeal that went away by itself, go figure.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:11 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

You must have very low expectations. I had a Lada once with fewer issues.
Old 02-09-2020, 06:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Realistic expectations, I like the way RDX drives and I could not find anything equivalent in this price range, so if its few annoyances, I can deal with them. Its just me, please, dont buy this car or sell it if you cant sleep at night because of “issues”

Last edited by russianDude; 02-09-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:13 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Realistic expectations, I like the way RDX drives and I could not find anything equivalent in this price range, so if its few annoyances, I can deal with them. Its just me, please, dont buy this car or sell it if you cant sleep at night because of “issues”
In your attempts at making this car sound good, you've done a great job at highlighting issues that most people would find more than annoyances - leaky roofs, squeaky brakes, iffy infotainment, new suspension bits etc.
The following 2 users liked this post by ceb:
acuraada (02-10-2020), mathnerd88 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-09-2020, 08:10 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by ceb
In your attempts at making this car sound good, you've done a great job at highlighting issues that most people would find more than annoyances - leaky roofs, squeaky brakes, iffy infotainment, new suspension bits etc.
Lol the reason why I traded my G37x in for the RDX was because of a leaky roof that I didn’t want to deal with fixing. Welp.

In fact that G37x was a very solid car and had no other issues besides the leaks in the passenger compartment from the roof drains.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:11 PM
Suzuka Master

never knew leaky roof was a problem, only saw that gasket was not siting flush, and one person complained about the leak. I had no attempts to do anything, I like my car, and that is it. Please keep complaining here, no one is stoping you.
Old 02-10-2020, 12:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
never knew leaky roof was a problem, only saw that gasket was not siting flush, and one person complained about the leak. I had no attempts to do anything, I like my car, and that is it. Please keep complaining here, no one is stoping you.
er, no one is telling you that you shouldn't like your car.

It's ironic, you are the ones telling people here that their problems are really not problems.

We are just baffled at your lack of empathy and quite frankly, logic. We all want to be supportive here on this forum. Folks come here for both advice and support. All your posts have been dismissive and defensive (which I'm not sure why because we are not discussing YOUR vehicle.) Unless you work for Acura, I don't quite get your attitude here.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:32 PM
Suzuka Master

I am not dismissive of anyone problems, they are real problems. However, I do not agree with a general assessment that RDX is overall bad quality.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:29 PM
Pro

I am not dismissive of anyone problems, they are real problems. However, I do not agree with a general assessment that RDX is overall bad quality.
It’s funny because you’re just basing it off your own vehicle. Who knows? Maybe you have those issues and you’re just choosing to ignore them. Ignorance is bliss. I could choose to ignore the issues in my car and it would still drive, but it would be annoying.

Put me in your car and I’ll probably find issues with it. I may be more meticulous than you. For a $50k car I should be meticulous about it.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-10-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:48 PM
Suzuka Master

It’s funny because you’re just basing it off your own vehicle. Who knows? Maybe you have those issues and you’re just choosing to ignore them. Ignorance is bliss. I could choose to ignore the issues in my car and it would still drive, but it would be annoying.

Put me in your car and I’ll probably find issues with it. I may be more meticulous than you. For a $50k car I should be meticulous about it.
no, I had issue like many people with lower control arms in suspension that got fixed at the dealer.
And btw, this car starts at mid 30s, but with all the bells it can be around 50k. But you not getting more quality if you add options, its still basic 30k+ car.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:59 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

My wife drives a Civic. Her major requirement was mpgs (and not being a hybrid - been there, done that). I drive a TSX wagon.

When I drive her car, I get frustrated that I can't do anything with the navigation while moving. She is annoyed with the lack of traffic info on my nav. She has what I think is an annoying rattle, she says "oh, yeah, I don't hear that anymore" but she's bothered by a rattle in my car that I don't hear.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:11 PM
Pro

no, I had issue like many people with lower control arms in suspension that got fixed at the dealer.
And btw, this car starts at mid 30s, but with all the bells it can be around 50k. But you not getting more quality if you add options, its still basic 30k+ car.
Mine is Advance SH AWD so yeah it was $50k+ with the accessories. If you needed suspension work that early in the game you don’t find that a big issue? Any other brand new car you’ve owned needed suspension work within a year of ownership? I’m concerned that there might be premature failure with the lower control arms which would cost $$$ to repair once out of warranty.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-10-2020 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Mine is Advance SH AWD so yeah it was $50k+ with the accessories. If you needed suspension work that early in the game you don’t find that a big issue? Any other brand new car you’ve owned needed suspension work within a year of ownership?
they screwed up, they took steps and updated parts. They gave me loaner, so overall it was not negative experience, maybe because my dealer is pretty good, I know there are some bad dealers that play games. You still have to understand that there is no difference in quality between your advanced car for 50k, and basic FWD that is 35K.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
50k doesnt make you special. Every car has problems and QC issues from entry level to exotics.

My expectations for the RDX are tempered witnessing first hand Teslas huge panel gaps, Bentleys mix matching color from bumper to body and Lamborghini with polishing scratches and dirt nibs in the paint job.

I too have minor issues with the RDX but you guys with magnify glasses are blowing it out of proportion.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM
Suzuka Master

50k doesnt make you special. Every car has problems and QC issues from entry level to exotics.

My expectations for the RDX are tempered witnessing first hand Teslas huge panel gaps, Bentleys mix matching color from bumper to body and Lamborghini with polishing scratches and dirt nibs in the paint job.

I too have minor issues with the RDX but you guys with magnify glasses are blowing it out of proportion.
Since the starting MSRP for RDX is 37K ( plus 3-4k discount you can get), it’s not really a 50k car. When they make advance or aspec out of it, it’s built with the same quality as their base model, it just has more stuff. It’s also interesting, cars that are expensive in 70-80k+ are getting all the latest and greatest innovations, which have their own risks being first to market hence reliability might be in question.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:18 PM
Burning Brakes

So is this the expectation for any cars? Multiple visits to dealership to solve problems in first year of ownership? I should consider myself lucky then with my MB or my friend who's onto 3rd year of Volvo XC90 and zero trip to dealership....

so all of the Initial ownership and reliability ratings are just crap, all cars are equal.

Then the CEO of Honda shouldn't really apologize then, Honda/Acura is on par with all other car manufacturer when it comes to quality, high end or not... right?

https://www.designnews.com/electroni...58171123260385
https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...simple-stupid/
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/4389232002/
Old 02-10-2020, 09:02 PM
Pro

Lol...really? Seriously? That’s your argument? Because this happens in Tesla’s which is a newish car company and Bentley and Lamborghinis, which sell very limited amount of vehicles per year? They aren’t excused either. In fact, I would be even more furious if I got a car with the problems you described from one of those brands.

Come on man. We’re talking about Acura, which is technically an old car company with many years of experience and wants to tout itself as a luxury performance vehicle.

Why can’t we compare Acura to the actual competitors they are actually aiming to compete with? Infiniti? Lexus? MB? BMW? Volvo? If Acura can’t even get simple things right such as putting a car together without misaligning some parts like trim pieces, moonroof, and tailgate, how can I expect them to get more complicated things right? Their QC team really don’t care about this car and it should be their job and expertise. If simple people like us can already see these issues, what more would their QC team miss?

You should see my CarFax. Lots of Acura dealer trips and lots of things replaced. Any prospective future buyer of my car would be alarmed. This car was the most trouble for me of any car I’ve ever owned, even if it was for ‘minor things.’

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-10-2020 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:06 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
not me, I'd read your carfax and be like MAN, dealer maintained, this guy really took care of his car.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:08 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockstar143
not me, I'd read your carfax and be like MAN, dealer maintained, this guy really took care of his car.
Haha not if you keep seeing things being checked/replaced and not maintenance items. You wouldn’t see maintenance items on the CarFax by Acura. I tend to find local mechanics to do that for me so they won’t pop up on CarFax.

If I were buying used cars, seeing that many trips to the dealer for replacement of things in the first year of ownership is a huge negative. I’d be thinking that the owner had a lot of issues with the car that needed to be brought in.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-10-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:13 PM

I know but even recall shit and things being replaced screams that the previous owner was on top of their shit.
Maybe I'm just an optimist. Whoops!
Old 02-10-2020, 10:15 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I know but even recall shit and things being replaced screams that the previous owner was on top of their shit.
Maybe I'm just an optimist. Whoops!
I’m also pretty meticulous with my car. I don’t like seeing things out of place. I bring my car in whenever I find something out of place or not 100% working.

Just a couple of weeks ago I had to get the sunlight sensor and battery replaced because my AIS stopped working. Most people probably would have chalked that up to the winter time being cold and leave it alone.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:24 PM

I used to be that way...
I still fix things but I've lessened the sense of urgency as a lot of times
I ended up chasing my tail on things that won't matter to me later or
that solve themselves.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Burning Brakes

There is difference between dealer “maintained” than warranty claim fixes.

But then again, I would probably care about more recent fixes than anything else.

If I am buying a 3 yr old car, I would see if there were things done in past 6 months. Also I would care if there seem to be fixes every year of your ownership, no matter how small or big because I don’t have time to waste at the dealers, covered or not.

Old 02-11-2020, 06:14 AM

I don't keep cars long enough to scrutinize too much.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada
There is difference between dealer “maintained” than warranty claim fixes.

But then again, I would probably care about more recent fixes than anything else.

If I am buying a 3 yr old car, I would see if there were things done in past 6 months. Also I would care if there seem to be fixes every year of your ownership, no matter how small or big because I don’t have time to waste at the dealers, covered or not.

I dont see how repairs on one car of the same make and model make a difference vs the same car that had no repairs. Its one car, its all probability, previous history will not predict the future. I agree, dealer visits mean you are on top of shit, vs someone who does not care

Last edited by russianDude; 02-11-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 02-11-2020, 07:41 AM
Burning Brakes

I dont see how repairs on one car of the same make and model make a difference vs the same car that had no repairs. Its one car, its all probability, previous history will not predict the future. I agree, dealer visits mean you are on top of shit, vs someone who does not care
cars are complex products, I am sure you are aware. Despite robotic automation, manual assemblies are still required by human which means variance to a certain degree. Process also improves over time. That’s why 1st year of any new model usually suffers from reliability issues.

Parts also are provided by third party suppliers which means batches may suffer quality issues if unchecked.

Problems usually comes in batches. Tesla Model 3 is a great example of that. You will be hard press to find a panel gap in a model 3 now.

Quick Reply: New owner - Semi regretful