New owner - Semi regretful

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 07:05 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Originally Posted by murdermaschine
Funny world we live in. I would never believe it because all the places I have been at nobody cares. (I see everything from both sides after my lady talks about it)

My lady comes home and talks about if there's ever a new car in parking lot they all try and figure out who owns it. There was a young gal who bought a model 3 (cheapest model) she lived at home, no kids and no bills... All the women there that had multiple kids and couldn't afford the car were all pissed at her... Haters gonna hate I guess

p.s. I'm in management and LOVE to see my employees being able to afford nice things
Ditto. I drive a cheap little Fiat, but some of my direct reports drive Cayennes, M5s, M4s, RS5s, and Range Rovers. Nobody on our immediate teams really care, because we're all in roughly the same situation. However, I know for a fact that some of the folks who aren't compensated as well (e.g. customer service, community managers, etc.) aren't too pleased given the snide and passive aggressive remarks in some of our anonymous discussion channels. When everyone has enough, then it's all fine and dandy, but when you mix the haves and have nots, then things like this can lead to resentment, envy, and toxicity to fester.

For anyone who hasn't experienced these types of behaviors before, that's great, I'm happy for you. But just because YOU haven't seen these types of things does not mean that it doesn't exist and that these concerns are unfounded.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by fiatlux
For anyone who hasn't experienced these types of behaviors before, that's great, I'm happy for you. But just because YOU haven't seen these types of things does not mean that it doesn't exist and that these concerns are unfounded.
Oh those things exist, but I just dont give a crap about it. I go to my work to do my job well, I could care less who and what thinks what. They need me to get the job done. Those people that 'talk' can go all f.... themselves

Last edited by russianDude; 01-24-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:22 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by russianDude
Oh those things exist, but I just dont give a crap about it. I go to my work to do my job well, I could care less who and what thinks what. They need to me to get the job done.
Good for you, but not everyone is in a such a meritocratic situation, so frankly what you say has absolutely no relevance to other people's situations. I might as well be telling some gay guy in Alabama not worry about being discriminated against because I've never seen it happen here in San Francisco.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Good for you, but not everyone is in a such a meritocratic situation, so frankly what you say has absolutely no relevance to other people's situations. I might as well be telling some gay guy in Alabama not worry about being discriminated against because I've never seen it happen here in San Francisco.
In a professional environment, if you are good worker, your expensive or cheap car will make zero difference if they fire you or not.
I think some people are way paranoid about perception by others. If you are a valuable employee, all of it makes no difference. Have some self respect.

Old 01-24-2020, 07:37 PM
Safety Car

In a professional environment, if you are good worker, your expensive or cheap car will make zero difference if they fire you or not.
I think some people are way paranoid about perception by others. If you are a valuable employee, all of it makes no difference. Have some self respect.
That's funny, one of first things we're taught in business school is that perception and image shouldn't matter, but it absolutely matters. One of the sad facts of life, but unless you want to take the high road and eschew convention and put career advancement on the line, those are the rules you have to play by. And you know what? I've played by those rules, and I've done quite well for myself, so I'd say I've come out ahead. Say what you will about "self-respect", but to each their own. Instead of lecturing other people and being all high-and-mighty about it, why not just accept that not everyone has the same set of priorities and beliefs as you..

I guess kudos to you for figuring out how to stop caring what other people think, and I mean that sincerely: https://acurazine.com/forums/first-g...people-408996/

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-24-2020 at 07:48 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:48 PM
Suzuka Master

sorry, I disagree. My principles have not prevented my career progression because my car was more expensive than the one driven by my boss.
Old 01-24-2020, 07:51 PM
Safety Car

sorry, I disagree. My principles have not prevented my career progression because my car was more expensive than the one driven by my boss.
Again, this isn't about YOU. Stop trying to generalize YOUR situation and YOUR experience and projecting it onto everyone else.
Old 01-24-2020, 08:07 PM
Suzuka Master

Again, this isn't about YOU. Stop trying to generalize YOUR situation and YOUR experience and projecting it onto everyone else.
Are you saying that your experience is reflection of how corporate world works for most of the people, and I am the outlier in the statistics? And I can repeat myself, that in corporate world it does not matter what car you drive, its not about me. We heard a lot about you doing well, and being able to buy Bentley. Well, guess what, I am not going to get into dick measuring contest.

The following users liked this post:
hand-filer (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 08:17 PM
Safety Car

Are you saying that your experience is reflection of how corporate world works for most of the people, and I am the outlier in the statistics? And I can repeat myself, that in corporate world it does not matter what car you drive, its not about me. We heard a lot about you doing well, and being able to buy Bentley. Well, guess what, I am not going to get into dick measuring contest.
Wow, you really aren't helping to quell the stereotype of Eastern Europeans having an arrogant "I'm always right, I know everything" outlook. Bravo.

I'm not sure how I can say this any clearer: just because YOUR experience isn't consistent with this doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Clearly other people have experienced this, so I'm not sure why you're so adamant about it not being a thing.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Wow, you really aren't helping to quell the stereotype of Eastern Europeans having an arrogant "I'm always right, I know everything" outlook. Bravo.

I'm not sure how I can say this any clearer: just because YOUR experience isn't consistent with this doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. Clearly other people have experienced this, so I'm not sure why you're so adamant about it not being a thing.
It's only a thing if you drive a cheap Fiat.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:43 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
I have friend in Germany who owns several apartment buildings. Many are a couple of hours away. He normally drives a Mercedes S class, but when he goes to some of the "lower rent" houses, he drives his son's VW Passat because he doesn't want to come across like a slumlord - so yes, it is a thing, although I never thought twice about what my boss thinks about what I drive.

How did we get here from "I'm not sure I'm happy with my car?"
I think that's more him being socially sensitive...
like, hey, I'm not rich either, paisan!
And please no brick through the window!
Old 01-25-2020, 06:42 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
LS is always the answer...
that was a joke about how the old 300 used to be confused for a Benley
Oh, ha. That's probably true. Still I love the GT. It's the only vehicle I covet other than a 911.
Old 01-25-2020, 07:09 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
My experience is that when you work with professionals, you get a very wide range. One person might be raising a family on that 6 figure salary with a wife with a part time job, while the one next to him may be a single mom on the same salary. At the next dest is a woman, at the same salary, married to an attorney. Across from her is a single person paying off student loans.

And this is just the professional staff. There can be resentment, yes, but in my experience, the people have merely recognized the difference in circumstance. (TBH, the one who got the most resentment was the one married to an attorney, and she didn’t do anything to garner that. Her car was always a new model, low level Merc C, and she didn’t brag, but she took better vacations, always saw the latest plays, and lived the life you would expect from a family pulling down almost half a mil a year. But she was damn good at her job, and helpful to others.)

Last edited by Madd Dog; 01-25-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My experience is that when you work with professionals, you get a very wide range. One person might be raising a family on that 6 figure salary with a wife with a part time job, while the one next to him may be a single mom on the same salary. At the next dest is a woman, at the same salary, married to an attorney. Across from her is a single person paying off student loans.

And this is just the professional staff. There can be resentment, yes, but in my experience, the people have merely recognized the difference in circumstance. (TBH, the one who got the most resentment was the one married to an attorney, and she didn’t do anything to garner that. Her car was always a new model, low level Merc C, and she didn’t brag, but she took better vacations, always saw the latest plays, and lived the life you would expect from a family pulling down almost half a mil a year. But she was damn good at her job, and helpful to others.)

Agree, people generally dont like when you brag about things. But if you drive your car to work(professional environment), park it, and never talk about it -- you will be fine. Any half decent management is going evaluate you based on your performance rather than the car you get into parking lot. People with brains know that car means nothing, some people are single with no kids, others have kids and wife with no jobs, others dont care about car at all and just need something to get them from point A to point B, others are stupid and spend every last penny they have on a car they can't afford, so over all, any of those things mean nothing. Resentment, sure, maybe from some misearable people, but who cares?
Old 01-25-2020, 08:24 AM

I like nice things but I don't think I'm awesome because of them. At car meats I usually just park far away and don't like to sweat my rides even if people say they are nice.
I think that has a lot more to do with the person than the car though.
sdarryl64 (01-25-2020)
Old 01-30-2020, 04:39 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
....Not smooth transition into reverse....
This is probably my biggest gripe with the RDX. Starting the engine in the morning and putting it into reverse always results in a herky-jerky lurch backwards that forces you to modulate the brake pedal in an attempt to smooth it out. I've never owned a vehicle that did this. It's super annoying.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:05 AM

Luckily you're in reverse like 1% of the time.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

this is nitpicking on non important things. I read all these posts about complaints, and majority of them are complains about stupid crap.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:00 AM

LMAO, just being a smartass...
but yes, I agree...
we are 1st world problems in here.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, a lot of whining
Old 01-31-2020, 09:04 AM

Life is good!
Old 01-31-2020, 09:39 PM
sdarryl

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
this is nitpicking on non important things. I read all these posts about complaints, and majority of them are complains about stupid crap.
WHO CARES ABOUT THE REVERSE :0)
...well I have to agree... I guess it’s just me but I like the reverse..shift.. lurch.. feature.

Each morning coming out of the garage I put it in reverse take my foot off the break and wait… then the car goes through it’s unique TWO-second ritual and smoothly rolls into reverse as if on hydraulics…

Not a problem for me
Old 02-01-2020, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Under 500 miles on it and now the brakes make noise.

This is going to be a long 3 years I think.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:05 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Under 500 miles on it and now the brakes make noise.

This is going to be a long 3 years I think.
I had that brake noise once in awhile under certain conditions, but only when cold. Funny thing, I took it to my dealer, they replaced the front rotors and its never made a peep since. And I must add, Damn this car has great brakes!
Old 02-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hans471
I had that brake noise once in awhile under certain conditions, but only when cold. Funny thing, I took it to my dealer, they replaced the front rotors and its never made a peep since. And I must add, Damn this car has great brakes!
I was gonna bring mine in, but after some time it mostly went away by itself. Sort of strange
Old 02-02-2020, 07:55 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
The problem often is that a bunch of little annoyances add up to an unpleasant ownership experience.

My mom has a 2002 RX300. You can't kill that car and it still looks like new (garaged when not driven. I don't think it has ever spent a night outdoors). My mom (at 95) doesn't drive much so I drive it periodically to put some miles on it. I hate that car and mostly for little things. The things I hated when she bought it in 2002 are the things I still hate.

Only one thing is of any importance - the supertanker like turning radius (44 feet although it was initially advertised at 41). The other minor things are that my knee touches the center console just at the bone that pokes out a bit unless I set the seat just so. Finally, and this is actually my biggest gripe (but in the big scheme of things very minor) is that the cup holders are so shallow that everything falls over. Oddly enough, they put a lot of engineering in them with adjustable arms and whatnot, but they are useless - and there are 4 of them in the front. Actually, the amount of engineering that went into that center console is quite incredible with two sliding drawers and those stupid cupholders that look as if they were designed for 6 ounce cups.

I hate the thing because of the turning radius around town and I hate it on longer trips because of the cupholders. I can usually shift around in the seat to keep my knee away from the center console.

Anybody want to buy a near new 2002 Lexus RX300?
Old 02-03-2020, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ceb
The problem often is that a bunch of little annoyances add up to an unpleasant ownership experience.

Anybody want to buy a near new 2002 Lexus RX300?
Yup. Today I started noticing a rattle from the passenger door and then while driving using carplay the Voice of Siri went from being able to perfectly hear it to not being able to hear her (really faint) so I almost missed my exit. Fumbling with the trackpad+carplay on this stupid thing while driving is a deathwish in this car on top of that. Never thought I would miss a touch screen, guess I was wrong again.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:53 AM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Yup. Today I started noticing a rattle from the passenger door and then while driving using carplay the Voice of Siri went from being able to perfectly hear it to not being able to hear her (really faint) so I almost missed my exit. Fumbling with the trackpad+carplay on this stupid thing while driving is a deathwish in this car on top of that. Never thought I would miss a touch screen, guess I was wrong again.
Reading your posts cause a couple of thoughts to come to mind:
1) One should 'review' their route before beginning a trip. As a pilot using GPS for decades I long ago learned that GPS is just an aid, no more. Never depend on it to guide you.
2) Touch screens really draw ones attention away from the road. Many cars, especially higher end ones, get away from touch screens for a reason. They use track balls, joy sticks, etc.
AND:
3) Why did you buy such a "terrible" car? Clearly you hate this thing.
Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
2) Touch screens really draw ones attention away from the road. Many cars, especially higher end ones, get away from touch screens for a reason. They use track balls, joy sticks, etc.
Not sure I agree with this. Many that used to be controlled via external devices have also recently made their screen touch capable (e.g. BMW & MB). Volvo, JLR, Tesla are all high end too and all use touchscreen. I think a touchscreen is much less distracting than Acura's touchpad because I find myself hunting for the right place to click, whereas with a touchscreen there would be no such problem.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
Not sure I agree with this. Many that used to be controlled via external devices have also recently made their screen touch capable (e.g. BMW & MB). Volvo, JLR, Tesla are all high end too and all use touchscreen. I think a touchscreen is much less distracting than Acura's touchpad because I find myself hunting for the right place to click, whereas with a touchscreen there would be no such problem.
I agree. The argument that not having a touchscreen is less distracting is a sales tactic. The touchscreen if positioned properly is far less distracting. The tendency is to look longer at the screen to see where the selection is from touchpad. I'm not sure why so many higher priced cars still don't embrace the touchscreen as much. At least the Acura touchpad isn't as bad as the Lexus 'trackpad-like' interface.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wmkim
At least the Acura touchpad isn't as bad as the Lexus 'trackpad-like' interface.
Agree 100%.
Old 02-03-2020, 04:10 PM

or the Cadillac CUE
Old 02-03-2020, 08:38 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
or the Cadillac CUE
Cadillac Unintuitive Excrement
Old 02-03-2020, 09:43 PM
Unregistered Member

Like most people, reverse is how you start your day. You know, reversing out of the garage. It's just annoying and something that I'd never get used to. Lucky for me, my two main vehicles are an Audi and a Jeep, so I guess I can't complain too much about a car I don't actually drive every day. But I do drive it enough to be annoyed because it's something that shouldn't happen in the first place. There's no good reason for it.
murdermaschine (02-04-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 09:49 PM
Unregistered Member

Admittedly, it isn't a major problem and I never claimed it to be. I said it was an annoyance. The little things like that matter, but no, it's not the end of the world. I also find the engine sound mostly annoying when accelerating anything more than about 25% pedal. It just sounds so unrefined. The ride is also a bit too stiff for a small SUV that doesn't really handle particularly well. See? Those are nitpicks. If I were going to complain about more serious things, I'd mention the noisy and pulsating brake issues. Or I'd mention the crappy infotainment system with the world's worst navigation. No address book? Are you kidding me? That's unforgivable.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tom2
Like most people, reverse is how you start your day. You know, reversing out of the garage. It's just annoying and something that I'd never get used to. Lucky for me, my two main vehicles are an Audi and a Jeep, so I guess I can't complain too much about a car I don't actually drive every day. But I do drive it enough to be annoyed because it's something that shouldn't happen in the first place. There's no good reason for it.
You could back in to your garage that way your day will start right.

(That’s what I do, although it’s just a preference, not to get around the transmission issue.)
Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 AM

I was so glad the Caddy was a 13 and didn't have CUE in it when I bought it. @ceb
Old 02-04-2020, 06:19 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
I'm planning on buying the Rav4 Prime this summer with my SO and keeping my RDX Advance SH-AWD. I'll do a comparison once we get the Rav4.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 02-04-2020 at 06:31 AM.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:20 AM

That thing is a real boxer dropper!
I approve but only if you get the teal with white roof one.
Old 02-04-2020, 06:32 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
That thing is a real boxer dropper!
I approve but only if you get the teal with white roof one.
She likes the blueprint with the black roof. Personally I like the red with the black roof.

Quick Reply: New owner - Semi regretful