New owner - Semi regretful

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 11:25 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
They didn't buy it yet.

I like the handling, but I would hesitate to praise its performance on down slopes in the mountains. It definitely has the nose-heavy weight of a FWD car and the SH-AWD does nothing to help. Whatever little I experienced of it wasn't confidence-inspiring. (It does great in wet weather and/or when going up a slope.)

That said, I came to this with my eyes fully open so I would say it performs as expected.
45 years in the auto industry I drove a LOT of cars. They all had their own personality. I am fine with the handling of this car and the value it delivers for the price. End of story. As I said, YMMV
Old 01-13-2020, 11:34 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by hans471
45 years in the auto industry I drove a LOT of cars. They all had their own personality. I am fine with the handling of this car and the value it delivers for the price. End of story. As I said, YMMV
Fair enough.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
finally someone said something positive, all I see is people constantly complaining about everything.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:24 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I like how this car drives. I like how this car hauls stuff. I don’t like the fuel economy, I don’t like the programming shortcomings.
The following 2 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
markm929 (01-15-2020), wmkim (01-14-2020)
Old 01-15-2020, 12:12 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I love the looks of this car, inside and outside (got the A-pec gray), love the ELS audio, driving-its okay I think handling its close to CRV feel, Im beginning to hate the transmission-too much gear changing especially on city driving. I Hate that the struts or front suspension creates a squeaky noise everytime I hit a bump and a squeaky brakes and an Infotaiment that sometimes suddenly decide NOT to work! What the H Acura?!

So, am I semi-regretful? H-Yes!
Old 01-15-2020, 09:09 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
finally someone said something positive, all I see is people constantly complaining about everything.
You have to hold some standards when you are buying a 40k+ that labeled as semi-luxurious. I would be more understanding on a 20k KIA.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by murdermaschine
You have to hold some standards when you are buying a 40k+ that labeled as semi-luxurious. I would be more understanding on a 20k KIA.
40k is not all that expensive for the car in 2020. Honda Accord that is loaded is selling in mid 30s. If you looking for perfection, I am afraid it’s more like 60k+ with today’s inflation of $.
The following users liked this post:
sinain (01-16-2020)
Old 01-16-2020, 06:22 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
40k is not all that expensive for the car in 2020. Honda Accord that is loaded is selling in mid 30s. If you looking for perfection, I am afraid it’s more like 60k+ with today’s inflation of $.
No such thing as the perfect car, they all their own issues....now a days whats more important is a good service center that will take care of you, address the issue and take care of it and not give you the run around.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RCJD
I love the looks of this car, inside and outside (got the A-pec gray), love the ELS audio, driving-its okay I think handling its close to CRV feel, Im beginning to hate the transmission-too much gear changing especially on city driving. I Hate that the struts or front suspension creates a squeaky noise everytime I hit a bump and a squeaky brakes and an Infotaiment that sometimes suddenly decide NOT to work! What the H Acura?!

suspension squeaks and brake noise can be taken care of by your dealer.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:28 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by flames9
No such thing as the perfect car, they all their own issues....now a days whats more important is a good service center that will take care of you, address the issue and take care of it and not give you the run around.
Exactly my thoughts. Any issues I had were so slight and the pro's greatly over shadowed them. I had the little brake squeak and my dealer happily took care of it. Also, my local dealer, a branch of a large dealer group, is a smaller operation compared to some. Its Acura only and the service there is first class all the way. They treat their customers like a special guest, have a beautiful waiting area with drinks and snacks, WiFi, TV, etc. They are all super polite, helpful and honest. One day I watched them talk a lady out of a service she asked for but didn't need. The manager even sat down with her and reviewed the owner's manual with her to point out what she did and did not need. I priced some service work and they quoted the job at half what my old Honda dealer wanted for the same type work.

I love my dealer and they seem to love us back. This is priceless to me and vastly outweigh the very few small nags I have ever had with the car. (Which were quickly taken care of BTW). When I shop for a car I am price conscience but I also look at the service offered by the deal and how they treat their customers. I will buy another Acura from this dealer when the time comes. .
GW208 (01-16-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by RCJD

I have the suspension noise as well over bumps. Do you find this is weather related and happens more when its colder?
Old 01-18-2020, 07:21 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by flames9
I don't disagree but visiting dealerships less than one year of ownership for non-maintenance issue is ridiculous.
Old 01-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Burning Brakes

What are we talking about? Perfection as in reliable with no issues or perfection that you love everything about the car? If you think spending more money = more reliability, then you haven't seen a BMW 740i :-)

Old 01-19-2020, 12:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by acuraada
I don't disagree but visiting dealerships less than one year of ownership for non-maintenance issue is ridiculous.
No one wants to have to go back and have a problem fixed, everyone agrees on that. But in the real world it can and does happen at times, even on the most expensive vehicles. I worked as a technical advisor on Lemon Law cases in the state where I use to live. Part of our legal training made one simple fact very clear: A warranty does NOT say you will never have a problem. A warranty states that if there is a defect the manufacturer will repair it.

Sorry for those who have had multiple problems. I can only hope you had a good dealer that took care of you.
Marino Moutafis (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 07:11 AM
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 86 Posts
Exactly my thoughts. Any issues I had were so slight and the pro's greatly over shadowed them. I had the little brake squeak and my dealer happily took care of it. Also, my local dealer, a branch of a large dealer group, is a smaller operation compared to some. Its Acura only and the service there is first class all the way. They treat their customers like a special guest, have a beautiful waiting area with drinks and snacks, WiFi, TV, etc. They are all super polite, helpful and honest. One day I watched them talk a lady out of a service she asked for but didn't need. The manager even sat down with her and reviewed the owner's manual with her to point out what she did and did not need. I priced some service work and they quoted the job at half what my old Honda dealer wanted for the same type work.

I love my dealer and they seem to love us back. This is priceless to me and vastly outweigh the very few small nags I have ever had with the car. (Which were quickly taken care of BTW). When I shop for a car I am price conscience but I also look at the service offered by the deal and how they treat their customers. I will buy another Acura from this dealer when the time comes. .
Your post sounds like a description of our Dealer Service Department: Leith Acura, Cary, NC, which was a significant factor in choosing the RDX. They've been taking good care of me and my 2001 CL-S for 20 years. They have folks that have worked there for decades, including the shop foreman, who's been there 30 years.
Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 AM
Suzuka Master

I like my dealer also, and with all my previous Acuras that I had to make 2-3 visits to the dealer in the first year to take care of some small issues. After that initial phase things get stable usually for many years. Did not keep me away from buying another Acura. Even my 5AT was replaced on 2001CL after 100k miles, and I only paid 50%. It was out of warranty, but they did goodwill.

Last edited by russianDude; 01-19-2020 at 07:46 AM.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anoop
At 1.25 years and with 14,500 miles, I can hear rattles from everywhere in my car, several from the front dash. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm quite disappointed with the build quality. I feel like I'm driving a car with 100,000 miles.
I’ve had mine for 1.5 years 20,000 miles and have no rattles. My previous car was an Audi Q5, the panoramic sunroof rattled constantly and it was very loud for first 2 years, I had the dealer rip it out and replace it twice before the problem was resolved. Since the dealer's position was "its only a rattle" I had to really escalate with Audi to get it fixed. I suggest similar approach with your Acura dealer to get the problem fixed.
Old 01-19-2020, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Most comments on car forums are negative simply because forums are where owners go to help resolve issues. However there are many positive comments here including my review here https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...arison-984967/
Old 01-19-2020, 10:32 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by waahu
Most comments on car forums are negative simply because forums are where owners go to help resolve issues. However there are many positive comments here including my review here https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...arison-984967/
There are many positives posts on this forum as @waahu pointed out. You chose a topic that says “New owner - Semi regretful”, what do you expect to see?
The following 3 users liked this post by acuraada:
hand-filer (01-22-2020), murdermaschine (01-19-2020), RDX10 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:41 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
I like Volvo as well...
The newer stuff seems to lack soul.
On paper it's all there but something is missing.
Old 01-20-2020, 08:02 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
My gas mileage has improved considerably since it was brand new. Dunno why ( my foot isn't an ounce lighter... ). But I do run premium fuel, and the formulation varies a bit with the season.

But there is a sweet spot for speed on the highway, and 80 mph is a bit over it in my experience.

Don't neglect the value of supportive seats. I have significant lower back issues, and that pretty much rules out most domestics. It's tough to be happy in any car if your back is screaming at you!

Same with feeling packed in like a sardine. If I wanted that I'd get a low-slung sports car, not an SUV. Some so-called SUVs are tiny on the inside. RDX is relatively roomy.
My gas milage is getting better over time as well. In the beginning it looked like it was going to be under 20 but I am averaging higher now. Honestly a few miles per gallon doesn't make a big difference to me. In the scope of things the cost is negligible.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by murdermaschine
I can't speak for 20K KIAs, however the Sorento that replaced my RDX was a quiet, solid high content CUV that never gave me a problem in 4 years of ownership. The RDX on the other hand was plagued with issues from day 1.
Old 01-21-2020, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by hand-filer
I can't speak for 20K KIAs, however the Sorento that replaced my RDX was a quiet, solid high content CUV that never gave me a problem in 4 years of ownership. The RDX on the other hand was plagued with issues from day 1.
Maybe I have been lucky, but none of the cars I had prior to this were really loud/creaky/weird body panel alignment/bad fit n finish. Those cars ranged from Acura Cl, VW TDI, Lexus LS, and a Lincoln...
Old 01-21-2020, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I called Acura Client Relations and detailed my concerns today. The quality is so poor, I feel scammed by Acura. I am coming from a 18’ Lexus IS 300 FSPORT and I was excited to get the RDX with all the upgraded interior entertainment. Quite frankly all the issues have cheapened my experience. 385 miles on the car as of today and here are the list of problems since delivery:

1. Tailgate popping noise (since fixed by dealer) Small dent remains in the top of the plastic spoiler. Ive been advised the only way to fix this is to replace the entire lift gate and have it repainted by a 3rd party body shop. Needless to say I opted not to have the dent fixed as no car should be repainted with 385 miles.

2. Steering wheel leather at the base behind the A Spec badge bubbled (dealership replaced the steering wheel).

3. Suspension has creaking/squeaking noise from front left. Car sounds 30 years old driving down the road. Sound is most similar to the creaking of an old bed.

4. Moonroof is raised up on the rear left corner. It’s not the seals. It’s the physical moonroof glass/frame that is out of position.

5. Brakes squeal similar to a car hitting the wear indicator in need of a brake job.

6. Auto high beams are not responsive at all. Lexus has this feature nailed down to perfection. I had to disable the feature because on multiple occasions I found myself driving behind another vehicle high beams directly in their rear view waiting for the RDX to register the situation and switch to low beams. To have them enabled is a road hazard, not a convenience/luxury.

7. Car remained firm for the first 350 miles, and tonight the interior rattles have begun. Heard one coming from somewhere in the roof and cargo area.

Sad to say...looks are deceiving with the 2020 RDX A Spec. This is a $25,000 quality car marked up double. I am pushing for a full return.

Last edited by Gregory Kozlowski; 01-21-2020 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2020, 11:55 PM
sdarryl

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Ping ponging happens more at the lowest allowable speeds...my experience is that is it reduced at higher speeds.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Acura != quality.

nor am I sure it’s performance oriented. its parent Honda already admit to quality issue, I hope Acura doesn’t rebel like a teenage.... “I don’t have a problem”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/4389232002/
The following 2 users liked this post by acuraada:
Leaf 68 (01-22-2020), sdarryl64 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by acuraada
Acura != quality.

nor am I sure it’s performance oriented. its parent Honda already admit to quality issue, I hope Acura doesn’t rebel like a teenage.... “I don’t have a problem”

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/4389232002/
go on market, see what you can buy for same money and get same features and performance.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:28 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
go on market, see what you can buy for same money and get same features and performance.
A Hyundai + $15,000 still in your pocket. My previous Tucson Limited (a roughly $30k vehicle) had features that rival the RDX Advanced. Granted that generation wasn't built very well and it lacked performance, it was still ~30% cheaper than my A-Spec...and had a nearly flawless infotainment system.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Mustachio
A Hyundai + $15,000 still in your pocket. My previous Tucson Limited (a roughly $30k vehicle) had features that rival the RDX Advanced. Granted that generation wasn't built very well and it lacked performance, it was still ~30% cheaper than my A-Spec...and had a nearly flawless infotainment system.

which Hyunday in particular that is similar to RDX?
Old 01-22-2020, 10:06 AM
sdarryl

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
which Hyunday in particular that is similar to RDX?

I think you are right russianDUDE, not sure any of us are convinced although Hyundai is a good brand. Wayyyyyy more than price and infotainment involved here.

Last edited by sdarryl64; 01-22-2020 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:47 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
While the RDX may be the best bang for the buck, that doesn't excuse them from any and all criticism, especially when Honda cut their teeth on things like dependability, build quality, and reliability.

BTW, you may want to revisit those words once the Genesis GV70 comes out. Genesis plays in the same value-luxury market as Acura, but their cars are aimed squarely at Mercedes/BMW/Audi in terms of features and luxury amenities. I suspect it'll give the RDX a serious run for its money when it comes to performance, and blow it out of the water when it comes to luxury.

Last edited by fiatlux; 01-22-2020 at 11:52 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by fiatlux:
hand-filer (01-22-2020), quantum7 (01-22-2020), sdarryl64 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 11:59 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
When the Toyota RAV4 Prime comes out this summer, that would be cheaper than the RDX with more performance at 302 hp and has all the features of the RDX with better safety features and much more fuel efficient. The only knock might be the AWD system but honestly I don’t drive the RDX hard enough to appreciate the benefits of super handling and torque vectoring. I also assume that most buyers of the RDX do either.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-22-2020 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 12:54 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Surprised

I know I just picked up my RDX this past Saturday but I love it. I loved it when I first sat in it. I went with the base because I didn't need anything more than that and it really was the best value imo. I don't get why so many people complain about the infotainment system. I think it is super simple to use. At the moment, I have no complaints and I don't suspect that I will have many. I looked at a ton of different SUVS in this class and glad I chose the RDX.
sdarryl64 (01-23-2020)
Old 01-22-2020, 12:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
When the Toyota RAV4 Prime comes out this summer, that would be cheaper than the RDX with more performance at 302 hp and has all the features of the RDX with better safety features and much more fuel efficient. The only knock might be the AWD system but honestly I don’t drive the RDX hard enough to appreciate the benefits of super handling and torque vectoring. I also assume that most buyers of the RDX do either.
given past history of RAV4, it could never compete with RDX 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen in terms of performance, luxury and features. Highly doubt that next rav4 will be a game changer.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:48 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
given past history of RAV4, it could never compete with RDX 1st, 2nd or 3rd gen in terms of performance, luxury and features. Highly doubt that next rav4 will be a game changer.
Its a plug in chargeable isnt it? with an approx 40 mile range......many will find that desirable
Old 01-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 160 Posts
The RDX is no doubt a great SUV and the best bang for the buck.....provided that you have the ones that don't have some serious problems. The infotainment seems to be better, although still some glitches for some....one took a year and a half to get it right. My biggest concerns are with Limp Mode and the general lack of attention to fit and finish for some. Seems like lots of squeaks, rattle, etc for some owners with some mixed results with resolution from Acura. In my area dealers are not willing to deal. Looking at ASpec and can only get a minimal discount from MSRP. Starting to look at other brands, or hold out for the Type S TLX Prototype....just hope that they don't cut the balls off of that one.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:15 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
I would quite disagree with you on that point, as Toyota claims the Rav4 Prime can go from 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. That's quicker than the RDX. It also has an estimated 90 mpg-e, which is far superior than what the RDX can offer.

Given the customer complaints of wanting a sport hybrid version of the RDX, I would say the Rav4 Prime IS a game changer. What 'features' does the RDX have that the Rav4 Prime lack? They're all pretty much similar. The only difference between the two is that the regular Rav4 (not Prime) has a lack of power, and it drives more like a Lexus. However, an upgraded Rav4 with leather interior, upgraded JBL sound has pretty much all the same features that the RDX has with the exception of maybe a slightly smaller screen (9" on the Rav4 vs 10.2" on the RDX) and saving you probably thousands in the process. (Rav4 Prime is expected to have the $7500 federal tax credit) and while getting 40 mpg just on gas alone on its hybrid drivetrain in the city, make this SUV honestly very enticing. It even has the HUD and panoramic sun roof, similar to that of the Advance RDX. The Toyota Safety Sense 2.0 has a lot more features than that on the RDX, including road sign assist, lane trace assist, etc.

I for one, am very interested and might consider trading in my '19 Advance for one of the Rav4 Prime XSE models this summer. I would bet you that Rav4 Prime won't have as many kinks as the RDX had. Not only that, I can save so much more on gasoline (recommend is regular for Toyota and not Premium like on RDX) and also be more environmentally friendly by allowing me to charge the vehicle at home, if I wish.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 01-22-2020 at 03:26 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:17 PM

self respect factor of owning a Rav4 must be taken into account. -100 points, at least.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:18 PM

although that teal with white roof new one they have is sexy as shit.
you know.
for a rav4.
well, a friend said he thought it looked cool.
I got a new friend.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:26 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I would quite disagree with you on that point, as Toyota claims the Rav4 Prime can go from 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. That's quicker than the RDX. It also has an estimated 90 mpg-e, which is far superior than what the RDX can offer.

Given the customer complaints of wanting a sport hybrid version of the RDX, I would say the Rav4 Prime IS a game changer. What 'features' does the RDX have that the Rav4 Prime lack? They're all pretty much similar. The only difference between the two is that the regular Rav4 (not Prime) has a lack of power, and it drives more like a Lexus. However, an upgraded Rav4 with leather interior, upgraded JBL sound has pretty much all the same features that the RDX has with the exception of maybe a slightly smaller screen and saving you probably thousands in the process. (Rav4 Prime is expected to have the $7500 federal tax credit) and while getting 40 mpg just on gas alone on its hybrid drivetrain in the city, make this SUV honestly very enticing. It even has the HUD and panoramic sun roof, similar to that of the Advance RDX.

I for one, am very interested and might consider trading in my '19 Advance for one of the Rav4 Prime XSE models this summer. I would bet you that Rav4 Prime won't have as many kinks as the RDX had. Not only that, I can save so much more on gasoline and also be more environmentally friendly by allowing me to charge the vehicle at home.
I cross-shopped the RDX against the RAV-4 Hybrid and it was a world apart. The interior in the RAV feels much more cramped, and the materials are cheap. It's never going to be a luxury car. Some may argue that the RDX isn't either, but I would disagree. As for the potential performance of the Rav4 Prime XSE, that remains to be seen. 0-60 isn't the only way to measure a car. I too would like the instant torque of a sport hybrid, but I don't think I'd trade my RDX for the RAV4. I'm happy with what I've got, and if I were looking to get better performance I'd look to a luxury brand first, or wait for RDX hybrid.

Quick Reply: New owner - Semi regretful