New owner - Semi regretful

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 03:51 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Cool New owner - Semi regretful

Intro:
I don't know what it is but this is one of the first cars I have owned that I have not been in love with. I think I should have tried to rent one on Turo for a weekend before making my decision.
Cars that were contenders - Volvo XC60, Volvo XC40, Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5, Tesla Model 3
My Previous car - 2017 Lincoln MKC

Why Did I choose the Acura?
Under 500 with Tax on a lease fully loaded
I'm a big dude, I needed something with room and comfortable seats - 6'2 240 and big ass shoulders
Price & features - At the time I thought I must have a HUD, 360 CAM, Ventilated seats and premium Audio
In order to get these packages on the other cars it would end up costing 5-10k more
I thought the Acura seating was the most comfortable

Model:
2020 RDX Advanced Platinum White with Ebony interior

Dislikes:
  1. Lane keep assist is not very good. It does ping pong between lines
  2. Auto high beams, I turned them off because they end up blinding cars in front of me
  3. Heated seats, I can barely even feel them when they are on (The Lincoln would get hot)
  4. Interior noise, this is louder than my Lincoln and it almost has a low frequency thud noise over bumps
  5. I don't notice much difference in ride softness with the different modes
  6. Under 20MPG so far (admittedly I have not done a long trip yet so I hope this improves)
  7. Waze does not work for me
  8. The 360 Camera Quality is horrible, if I would have paid more attention during my time at dealer this might have been a deal breaker on how bad these cameras are
  9. No power folding mirrors on US version. I hate that I can't turn around and see that the car is locked and also have to squeeze into tight spaces
  10. Not smooth transition into reverse
  11. HUD Quality is meh, it does the job but I do not like some of the UI (The white bar next to volume slider for instance)
  12. Using carplay with the touch pad is distracting being it doesn't act the same as Acura's navigation (1 to 1 touch)
  13. Damn thing flashes BRAKE in my HUD for no reason about 3 times now
  2. Drives well on freeway
  3. Seating and leather are comfortable
  4. ELS Audio is very detailed (I also added my own SUB for better low end)
  5. For the most part it is peppy
  6. Heated Steering wheel (never thought I would care about this)
  7. Under floor storage in the back, this is so under-rated! (I have put all kinds of stinky food in there for the holidays and it kept the smell out of car)
  8. Parking sensors (must use these to make up for bad cameras)
What did I learn from all this?
  1. I can live without a HUD
  2. 360 Cam is only as good as the quality of cameras
  3. I need to drive a car more than 30min-hour before making a decision on them (Watching 100 hours of Youtube reviews is not enough)
  4. Ventilated Seats are not a deal breaker for me any more
  5. Well heated seats ARE a deal breaker going forward
Outro:
Sorry for the longish rant. I hope maybe it will be helpful to someone looking to purchase an RDX. I hope this car will grow on me the more I drive it. My saving grace is that it is a lease so I'm not totally stuck with it. If worse comes to worse and in next year I don't love it I will look at trying to put it on swapalease or something.
The following users liked this post:
SeanPittacora (01-21-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
I mean, there are things I don't love about the RDX but I'm mostly happy with it.
  • LKAS works pretty well for me, it doesn't ping pong me between the lane, mine keeps me pretty centered.
  • Auto high beams likewise works fine for me and it cuts out as soon as it sees headlights in the other direction. I haven't had issue.
  • My heated seats on high get noticeably hot, maybe have dealer check yours?
  • Interior noise - I came from a Ford Edge, my interior noise is (to me) very low and not an issue. If you are having a lot of interior noise check with the dealer.
  • Modes - snow is definitely different than the others, so let's focus on Comfort, Sport and Sport+. I am harder pressed to tell difference between Comfort and Sport but it's noticeable if I focus on it. I can most definitely tell the difference with Sport+ FWIW but I'm sure it's subjective.
  • Gas Mileage - I get low 20's and I'm not terribly gentle on the driving, if you're getting like 19 or something and you're pushing the engine a lot, maybe that's why? I know some threads on here have said gas mileage they see is kind of bad. For me it's low 20's in city (like 21, 22) and mid 20's on highway.
  • I can use Waze just fine via CarPlay.. not sure what you mean by "it doesn't work", can you elaborate?
  • 360 degree camera is less sharp than I'd hoped but it's reasonably close to what I saw in other cars that had it (at same or less price level as RDX, I'm sure if you go to 60k car it gets better). It's certainly usable for me though.
  • Yes the power folding mirrors and lack of windshield heater on US model is a little irritating, but only a tiny bit. This forum seems to be an echo chamber of dissent about that point. My other car has them (a minivan) and they aren't used that much. Certainly not when just regular parking in my case. Again this is subjective.
  • Reverse - transition works fine for me? Maybe check with the dealer. I don't get any jolts or anything of the like.
  • HUD - this one again is very subjective. For me having a HUD was key and I use it every time I drive. It works well enough that I'm happy with it, though I think it could be improved.
  • Acura's 1-to-1 navigation is very unique to them. Apple and Android Auto both I think, use the trackpad like a trackpad. That isn't anything to do with Acura I think, directly. It's with how those systems have chosen to interpret touchpad. What I think I've learned from my car journey is no one like touchpads. On Lexus the touchpad works like a regular touchpad (like Carplay/AA in the Acura) and no one likes that either. Yes I wish it was standardized but until they give you an option for 1-to-1 vs standard touchpad input in the respective systems, I'm not sure Acura has any sway at all. They are the ones who did nonstandard touchpad interface.
  • The BRAKE thing - either your sensitivity is up too high, there is something blocking the sensor (on the Acura logo on grille) or you have a malfunction. Have dealer check that out because it shouldn't do that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ender519:
hockeyaddict (12-28-2019), Ludepower (12-30-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 05:33 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by Ender519
I mean, there are things I don't love about the RDX but I'm mostly happy with it.

• Reverse - transition works fine for me? Maybe check with the dealer. I don't get any jolts or anything of the like.
When mine is stone cold and I select Reverse, I feel three distinctive mechanical transitions that take about 2 seconds. Doesn't do it once the car is warm.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ender519
  • Auto high beams likewise works fine for me and it cuts out as soon as it sees headlights in the other direction. I haven't had issue.
  • My heated seats on high get noticeably hot, maybe have dealer check yours?
  • Gas Mileage - I get low 20's and I'm not terribly gentle on the driving, if you're getting like 19 or something and you're pushing the engine a lot, maybe that's why? I know some threads on here have said gas mileage they see is kind of bad. For me it's low 20's in city (like 21, 22) and mid 20's on highway.
  • I can use Waze just fine via CarPlay.. not sure what you mean by "it doesn't work", can you elaborate?
Auto High beam - My problem was coming up behind a car and they would keep turning off and then on
I'll have to ask dealer about seats
I drive like a grandma in this car and get 19mpg
Waze screen loads up, but the map does not move, it doesn't show traffic, doesn't show anything. It's like it loads up and doesn't do anything. I'll try re-installing waze come to think of it (EDIT) Tried reinstalling waze and it still doesn't work. Doesn't even show me on the map, it does show the map zoom in and out randomly but I'm nowhere to be seen ugh

Last edited by murdermaschine; 12-28-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:03 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I used the folding mirrors in my last car every time I parked in the garage, I miss them.

The seat heaters and auto headlights and Waze work fine. I have only had carplay crap out on me a couple of times. Both times I was playing Amazon Music and it went into pause mode. Did pause mode cause the crap out, or did the crap out cause pause mode? I dunno. But with native nav, and Google Maps, Apple Maps and Waze, and sirius and Amazon music and USB, plus the radio, I have multiple choices about what to use to navigate and to listen to music. The little annoyances that come with that are tolerable for me.

I still get a kick out if having a text read to me, and dictating the answer. Oddly, the car can read it, but I have to use Siri to respond.
Old 12-28-2019, 07:12 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
If these are the only complains, I guess RDX is doing well.
The following 3 users liked this post by russianDude:
Ludepower (12-30-2019), Mark-RDX (01-20-2020), waahu (01-10-2020)
Old 12-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by murdermaschine
Auto High beam - My problem was coming up behind a car and they would keep turning off and then on
I'll have to ask dealer about seats
I drive like a grandma in this car and get 19mpg
Waze screen loads up, but the map does not move, it doesn't show traffic, doesn't show anything. It's like it loads up and doesn't do anything. I'll try re-installing waze come to think of it (EDIT) Tried reinstalling waze and it still doesn't work. Doesn't even show me on the map, it does show the map zoom in and out randomly but I'm nowhere to be seen ugh
My auto high beams work well for my purposes. When in light traffic it does sometimes turn on and off frequently as it sees lights. My Toyota van has same feature and it works nearly the same so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

As for fuel mileage yeah ask dealer. That is a bit lower than I'd expect.

As for Waze, that has to be something with Waze or the phone. CarPlay runs off your phone after all, mirroring information. Waze works great for me, no issues at all. Maybe reset both Infotainment and your phone to factory defaults and try it again? That's a heavy hand approach but unsure what else will give you results.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:07 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I was getting terrible mileage in the city but after a long trip this weekend (and just crossing the 600 mile total) I was getting 25.3 on the highway going 80, even with some traffic jams and and stop-and-go traffic. So my mileage concerns have been resolved. I do wish there was an eco mode that was fwd and could squeeze a few more mpg in the city.

LKAS is useless to me. I might take it to the dealer to have it checked out. This week on my road trip I tried to use it a couple of times and it would ping-pong even to the point where I would get a LDM warning and I’m thinking “yeah well you’re supposed to be the one staying in the lane!”

Road noise is good for me, though I think there’s a low-frequency rumble coming from the rear. I’m not sure if this is the piped engine noise or something else going on. Again, something for the dealer to check out.

My heated seats are toasty at max, but it takes some time to get up to temp. No real complaints here.

Overall I’m happy with the car; it’s just the right mix of lux and performance at the right price. And it’s roomier than most of its competitors which was my main concern. This Christmas I was a little worried that it wouldn’t fit all the stuff I needed for the family trip, but it worked just fine with room to spare. I did use the underfloor storage which I also like; I use the forward compartment for emergency equipment, and the rear storage for just extra space. I found out that my sons suitcase and inflatable mattress fit in that cubby perfectly, leaving the rest of the cargo area for adult gear. I have not yet used it to hold stinky food, though I am considering having a custom cooler insert made for camping.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:54 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
My SH-AWD Advance was $5-$10k cheaper than any other alternative except the Mazda CX-5. And every one of those alternatives have just as many problems/issues as the RDX. I just turned 3,000 miles on mine and still think it was the best value out there for what I got. I really like driving it.

waahu (01-10-2020)
Old 12-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
My gas mileage has improved considerably since it was brand new. Dunno why ( my foot isn't an ounce lighter... ). But I do run premium fuel, and the formulation varies a bit with the season.

But there is a sweet spot for speed on the highway, and 80 mph is a bit over it in my experience.

Don't neglect the value of supportive seats. I have significant lower back issues, and that pretty much rules out most domestics. It's tough to be happy in any car if your back is screaming at you!

Same with feeling packed in like a sardine. If I wanted that I'd get a low-slung sports car, not an SUV. Some so-called SUVs are tiny on the inside. RDX is relatively roomy.
Mark-RDX (01-20-2020)
Old 12-30-2019, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
I was getting terrible mileage in the city but after a long trip this weekend (and just crossing the 600 mile total) I was getting 25.3 on the highway going 80, even with some traffic jams and and stop-and-go traffic. So my mileage concerns have been resolved. I do wish there was an eco mode that was fwd and could squeeze a few more mpg in the city.

LKAS is useless to me. I might take it to the dealer to have it checked out. This week on my road trip I tried to use it a couple of times and it would ping-pong even to the point where I would get a LDM warning and I’m thinking “yeah well you’re supposed to be the one staying in the lane!”

Road noise is good for me, though I think there’s a low-frequency rumble coming from the rear. I’m not sure if this is the piped engine noise or something else going on. Again, something for the dealer to check out.

My heated seats are toasty at max, but it takes some time to get up to temp. No real complaints here.

Overall I’m happy with the car; it’s just the right mix of lux and performance at the right price. And it’s roomier than most of its competitors which was my main concern. This Christmas I was a little worried that it wouldn’t fit all the stuff I needed for the family trip, but it worked just fine with room to spare. I did use the underfloor storage which I also like; I use the forward compartment for emergency equipment, and the rear storage for just extra space. I found out that my sons suitcase and inflatable mattress fit in that cubby perfectly, leaving the rest of the cargo area for adult gear. I have not yet used it to hold stinky food, though I am considering having a custom cooler insert made for camping.
I do not have that ping pong issue with LKAS. I used it mostly on a 1,000 mile trip and it kept me in the center of the lines. As long as the lines are well marked and the camera isn't obstructed it should work fine. If not, take it to the dealer.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
The tech in this car isn't up to snuff whether it's the infotainment or the driver assist features. In my experience after a year of ownership, built quality in terms of rattles leaves a lot to be desired. And then there are the transmission programming weirdnesses that make it not so fun when pushed hard. But all of that is reflected in the price (both initial cost and subsequent maintenance costs) and it works OK when used gently. Based on my experience with the RDX (my first Acura), I don't think my next car will be an Acura. I'd like to give something else a try.

Last edited by anoop; 12-30-2019 at 01:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by anoop:
acuraada (12-31-2019), Kiran Chalapathy (08-24-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 10:47 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
My SH-AWD Advance was $5-$10k cheaper than any other alternative except the Mazda CX-5. And every one of those alternatives have just as many problems/issues as the RDX. I just turned 3,000 miles on mine and still think it was the best value out there for what I got. I really like driving it.
This is what I think also. I spent my working career in the automotive industry (3 different major car manufactures) and drove hundreds of models from basic transportation to very high end plush super expensive models. I learned a lot about cars but a few basics come to mind: There are no perfect cars. Some cars are better than others. All cars (even high end models) are compromises; price vrs. features and quality. In the end the most important decision point should be which car suits your needs and wants best. Does the car "feel right"? Does it meet your needs as far as space, seating, whatever? Does it have features that are most important to you while staying within your budget? I drove some high end models when the company was paying for them but when I have to buy mine own car I am more picky. But I am also more tolerant of small items that I don't feel are high priority. I don't run Android Auto much or Waze or whatever so that is not a big consideration to me. As for interior sound levels I am less sensitive than some I suppose having driven a lot of noisy vehicles over the years. Plus our other car is a Fit so as I switch back and forth the differences are so clear.
I drove CR-V's for some years and enjoyed them but also knew their limitations. They are great cars for the money and our kids and my brother and sister enjoy theirs. I picked the RDX based on its performance-price ratio and its resale value compared to other options like the BMW X3. My sister-in-law likes her X-3's but my RDX has an edge in a few areas, especially when it comes to ownership costs and resale.
The RDX is not perfect but when it comes to the areas that are important to me, things like cost, performance, handling and overall feel, its a winner. I could list a lot of comparisons between it and the competition but that info is all over the web and most here have read all of that. In the end all that matters is what you think of the car, love it or hate it.
BTW: I have had no warranty issues. I do have a bit of brake squeak but I am confident it will be taken care of. As for fuel economy I have seen anything from 22MPG to 32 MPG on the highway. Speed and how you drive really matter. With reasonable driving and keeping top speeds 70 and less its not an issue getting 26-28 MPG. Drive with a heavy foot and run it up to 80 or more and you will not see numbers that high. The car is what it is and it either suits you or you dislike it. My advice to anyone over the decades has always been: research, test drive, etc. before buying. If you do buy and you don't like it then trade it off and get what you enjoy.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
acuraada (01-01-2020), kerste (02-12-2020), Madd Dog (01-01-2020)
Old 12-31-2019, 11:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,940 Likes on 14,056 Posts
Yikes, reading "semi-regretful" is not exactly the heading/title you want to see regarding a guy who just bought a new vehicle. Sorry about that.

That being said, perhaps some of the things you like will grow on you in time. The biggest take-away is well, take your time next time on your purchase but I think you recognized that.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:20 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Most of the things I find the most disappointing about the car, I knew about before I bought it. For example, the mirrors that don't fold automatically. But none of those things were deal breakers and the things I've discovered since are so minor I have no regrets.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Yumcha
Yikes, reading "semi-regretful" is not exactly the heading/title you want to see regarding a guy who just bought a new vehicle. Sorry about that.

That being said, perhaps some of the things you like will grow on you in time. The biggest take-away is well, take your time next time on your purchase but I think you recognized that.
I'm hoping I will like it the more I drive it. I have found that if I treat is more like a sports car then it feels better. If I treat it like a plush / silent luxury car I get disappointed. This really beat out some contenders and rides much more comfortable than a top of line CX5 and Rav4. I think the only cars I would have been happy with were the piugin XC60 with Napa Massage seats *way out of price range" or a Tesla Model "I would have expected louder and bumpier ride from it, but it's cost was too much on lease"
Old 01-01-2020, 07:26 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
I came from a luxury sports sedan that would have cost ~$70K to set up. Could not justify that. A similarly set up X3 that was available when I got this was >10 K more. Could not justify that for a car that is only slightly better in some respects but not others, and more costly to maintain.

There are no perfect cars, and this car works for me. If it is annoying to sometimes have Carplay disconnect and reconnect, I can live with that.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm hoping I will like it the more I drive it. I have found that if I treat is more like a sports car then it feels better. If I treat it like a plush / silent luxury car I get disappointed. This really beat out some contenders and rides much more comfortable than a top of line CX5 and Rav4. I think the only cars I would have been happy with were the piugin XC60 with Napa Massage seats *way out of price range" or a Tesla Model "I would have expected louder and bumpier ride from it, but it's cost was too much on lease"
Well, FWIW, Volvo cars have spotty reliability these days per J.D. Power and other industry metrics. I'm probably biased but I would also suggest you give Audi a really long look next time...the Q3 has gotten a bit bigger in size and so, that may fit your budget and driving requirements next time.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:12 PM
Advanced

Well, FWIW, Volvo cars have spotty reliability these days per J.D. Power and other industry metrics. I'm probably biased but I would also suggest you give Audi a really long look next time...the Q3 has gotten a bit bigger in size and so, that may fit your budget and driving requirements next time.
I checked the Q5 and found the RDX seats more comfortable, I really like the look of the new Q3. I'm hoping in a few years I can snag a model Y and it makes sense, but who knows really, 3 years is a loooong time for me.
Yumcha (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 05:47 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Quite happy with my Volvo XC 60 T8....I think the most important issue with these modern, technological vehicles.....a knowledgeable & trustworthy service center! Being so "computerized" I think issues can be a bit more plentiful than years ago! I know my desktops and laptops always seem to have a few bugs, so not surprising these cars can be as well.
Yumcha (01-01-2020)
Old 01-01-2020, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

I checked the Q5 and found the RDX seats more comfortable, I really like the look of the new Q3. I'm hoping in a few years I can snag a model Y and it makes sense, but who knows really, 3 years is a loooong time for me.
Well, the market is evolving and electric vehicles will be even more prominent in a couple of years, IMO. The Audi e-tron line is also something I'd consider when it's time to replace my FX if I want to try non-gas.
Old 01-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Well, the market is evolving and electric vehicles will be even more prominent in a couple of years, IMO. The Audi e-tron line is also something I'd consider when it's time to replace my FX if I want to try non-gas.
Yeah, e-tron looks interesting, but those must be platinum plated electrons. I hope economies of scale kick in or it's gonna get really expensive to travel by car.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flames9
Quite happy with my Volvo XC 60 T8....I think the most important issue with these modern, technological vehicles.....a knowledgeable & trustworthy service center! Being so "computerized" I think issues can be a bit more plentiful than years ago! I know my desktops and laptops always seem to have a few bugs, so not surprising these cars can be as well.
I really wanted the T8 with air suspension, B&W and massage Napa seats - It just ended up being way out of price range with the way my year ended. Beautiful ride!
Old 01-01-2020, 07:19 PM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I really wanted the T8 with air suspension, B&W and massage Napa seats - It just ended up being way out of price range with the way my year ended. Beautiful ride!
Enjoy the RDX, it has a lot to offer, no vehicle is perfect.
murdermaschine (01-01-2020)
Old 01-05-2020, 10:30 PM
'20 RDX Adv, built 11/19

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Intro:
I don't know what it is but this is one of the first cars I have owned that I have not been in love with. I think I should have tried to rent one on Turo for a weekend before making my decision.
Cars that were contenders - Volvo XC60, Volvo XC40, Mercedes GLC, Audi Q5, Tesla Model 3
My Previous car - 2017 Lincoln MKC

Why Did I choose the Acura?
Under 500 with Tax on a lease fully loaded
I'm a big dude, I needed something with room and comfortable seats - 6'2 240 and big ass shoulders
Price & features - At the time I thought I must have a HUD, 360 CAM, Ventilated seats and premium Audio
In order to get these packages on the other cars it would end up costing 5-10k more
I thought the Acura seating was the most comfortable

Model:
2020 RDX Advanced Platinum White with Ebony interior

Dislikes:
  1. Lane keep assist is not very good. It does ping pong between lines
  2. Auto high beams, I turned them off because they end up blinding cars in front of me
  3. Heated seats, I can barely even feel them when they are on (The Lincoln would get hot)
  4. Interior noise, this is louder than my Lincoln and it almost has a low frequency thud noise over bumps
  5. I don't notice much difference in ride softness with the different modes
  6. Under 20MPG so far (admittedly I have not done a long trip yet so I hope this improves)
  7. Waze does not work for me
  8. The 360 Camera Quality is horrible, if I would have paid more attention during my time at dealer this might have been a deal breaker on how bad these cameras are
  9. No power folding mirrors on US version. I hate that I can't turn around and see that the car is locked and also have to squeeze into tight spaces
  10. Not smooth transition into reverse
  11. HUD Quality is meh, it does the job but I do not like some of the UI (The white bar next to volume slider for instance)
  12. Using carplay with the touch pad is distracting being it doesn't act the same as Acura's navigation (1 to 1 touch)
  13. Damn thing flashes BRAKE in my HUD for no reason about 3 times now
  2. Drives well on freeway
  3. Seating and leather are comfortable
  4. ELS Audio is very detailed (I also added my own SUB for better low end)
  5. For the most part it is peppy
  6. Heated Steering wheel (never thought I would care about this)
  7. Under floor storage in the back, this is so under-rated! (I have put all kinds of stinky food in there for the holidays and it kept the smell out of car)
  8. Parking sensors (must use these to make up for bad cameras)
What did I learn from all this?
  1. I can live without a HUD
  2. 360 Cam is only as good as the quality of cameras
  3. I need to drive a car more than 30min-hour before making a decision on them (Watching 100 hours of Youtube reviews is not enough)
  4. Ventilated Seats are not a deal breaker for me any more
  5. Well heated seats ARE a deal breaker going forward
Outro:
Sorry for the longish rant. I hope maybe it will be helpful to someone looking to purchase an RDX. I hope this car will grow on me the more I drive it. My saving grace is that it is a lease so I'm not totally stuck with it. If worse comes to worse and in next year I don't love it I will look at trying to put it on swapalease or something.
What size sub did you get? Any pics of location of your sub?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:09 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrmissmyTLX
What size sub did you get? Any pics of location of your sub?
It's this - https://www.jlaudio.com/acs112lg-tw1...-systems-93335

I have it installed behind rear passenger seat on drivers side. It has a quick disconnect so I can unhook it if I ever need to load anything with seats folded down.
Bass knob is installed under dash by my right knee

I'll have to snag some pics - nothing too exciting
Old 01-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I really wanted to like the RDX but after months of back and forth and doing a ton of research, numerous test drives, I can handle the infotainment issues but unacceptable Interior noise levels, fit and finish and the thrashy 10 speed - I'm out.

Will move to something else.
The following 2 users liked this post by blexann:
JacPac (01-07-2020), samiam_68 (01-07-2020)
Old 01-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blexann
I really wanted to like the RDX but after months of back and forth and doing a ton of research, numerous test drives, I can handle the infotainment issues but unacceptable Interior noise levels, fit and finish and the thrashy 10 speed - I'm out.

The only infotainment issue I have, after latest update, is USB drive not being recognized 10% of the time (for music listening). Other than that car is very comfortable, quiet and drives way better than 2013 Honda Accord V6, I had before. Try to think positive - How many cars do you know that have adjustable headrest (important to me)? How many SUVs do you know that have flat floor at the back seats? How many have "dual clutch" type transmission that can drop up to 4 gears down instantly, instead of sequential shifting. How many cars have max torque at 1600rpm? Yes, transmission had a little abrupt shifting at lower gears at first, but after first 5K miles it was gone and now it is smooth. Do not give up - it is a good car. I made 14k miles and intend to keep this car for 10 years.
wmkim (01-08-2020)
Old 01-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of these comments just go to show the diversity of drivers and opinions. We are about 6 weeks into ownership of the 2020 RDX Tech and I just love this car. It is an absolute joy to drive, and I cannot say enough positive about it.
For me, it pushes all the right buttons.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GrayBear
All of these comments just go to show the diversity of drivers and opinions. We are about 6 weeks into ownership of the 2020 RDX Tech and I just love this car. It is an absolute joy to drive, and I cannot say enough positive about it.
For me, it pushes all the right buttons.
What did you have before this?
Old 01-10-2020, 04:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jerzy
The only infotainment issue I have, after latest update, is USB drive not being recognized 10% of the time (for music listening). Other than that car is very comfortable, quiet and drives way better than 2013 Honda Accord V6, I had before. Try to think positive - How many cars do you know that have adjustable headrest (important to me)? How many SUVs do you know that have flat floor at the back seats? How many have "dual clutch" type transmission that can drop up to 4 gears down instantly, instead of sequential shifting. How many cars have max torque at 1600rpm? Yes, transmission had a little abrupt shifting at lower gears at first, but after first 5K miles it was gone and now it is smooth. Do not give up - it is a good car. I made 14k miles and intend to keep this car for 10 years.
the transmission experience seems to be consistent. My trans was choppy at low speeds in traffic initially but no issues now.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by waahu
the transmission experience seems to be consistent. My trans was choppy at low speeds in traffic initially but no issues now.
this orbital gear has a bit of initial break-in period, its even described in some one pack videos, over time the shifts do get smoother, I noticed it too. Very happy with how it shifts now.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We owned the 2017 RDX Tech AWD. Should also mention that our new 2020 is the SH-AWD.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:44 PM
Racer

I was dropping off my RDX for the brake thing on Wednesday evening. There was a lady also dropping her blue RDX off for some little something. As we stood at the service desk we chatted and then she looked at me and said, "I LOVE this car!". Her and her hubby then went on about how well it drove and such and how they were in love with it....even with a few little items that needed checked out. ( I think her real problem was she hadn't read the owners manual!). I told her I loved mine also and couldn't think of another car in that price range I would have bought.

It appears that there are many of us who, even with a few minor (and very minor in the bigger scheme of life) issues, love this car. Its all about if a car does the things you like, things like good handling, comfortable seating, whatever.
Old 01-13-2020, 12:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by russianDude
this orbital gear has a bit of initial break-in period, its even described in some one pack videos, over time the shifts do get smoother, I noticed it too. Very happy with how it shifts now.
Hmm good to know. I'm hoping everything gets better after this car breaks in
Old 01-13-2020, 12:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

At 1.25 years and with 14,500 miles, I can hear rattles from everywhere in my car, several from the front dash. Anyone else experiencing this? I'm quite disappointed with the build quality. I feel like I'm driving a car with 100,000 miles.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This is normal, by design.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:05 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by blexann

Good, you should move on! You should never keep a car you dislike. Sell it, trade it off and go find something that suits you better!

After a year with my RDX I love it more now than ever. Lots of trips through the mountains where it handles with great confidence and lots of power. The best sound system I have ever had and a LOVELY transmission that performs perfectly. The fit and finish is lovely and everyone who gets in it falls in love with the interior and the performance. I had the cold weather brake squeak but my dealer took care of it, no problems. Love this car! But.....YMMV as they say.
Old 01-13-2020, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JacPac
This is normal, by design.
The rattles?
Old 01-13-2020, 10:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hans471
Good, you should move on! You should never keep a car you dislike. Sell it, trade it off and go find something that suits you better!
They didn't buy it yet.

Originally Posted by hans471
After a year with my RDX I love it more now than ever. Lots of trips through the mountains where it handles with great confidence and lots of power. The best sound system I have ever had and a LOVELY transmission that performs perfectly. The fit and finish is lovely and everyone who gets in it falls in love with the interior and the performance. I had the cold weather brake squeak but my dealer took care of it, no problems. Love this car! But.....YMMV as they say.
I like the handling, but I would hesitate to praise its performance on down slopes in the mountains. It definitely has the nose-heavy weight of a FWD car and the SH-AWD does nothing to help. Whatever little I experienced of it wasn't confidence-inspiring. (It does great in wet weather and/or when going up a slope.)

That said, I came to this with my eyes fully open so I would say it performs as expected.
russianDude (01-13-2020)

Quick Reply: New owner - Semi regretful