New Owner One Week Review (long)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 6 Posts
New Owner One Week Review (long)

There were several requests for an owner's perspective as opposed to a non-owner reviews, but I wanted to take a week to give some time for some of the newness of my recent purchase to settle in and for me to work out issues and details. Hopefully I address some questions others have had and over the last couple of weeks with more time behind the wheel. I won't focus on what is covered in the numerous reviews online, but more of the details, and living with things over the last week.

First, my choice. It was between the Advance and the A-Spec for me, and after two hours of driving each model back to back, I ended up with an Apex Blue Pearl A-Spec SH-AWD with Ebony interior opting for several accessories including splash guards, wheel locks, all-season floor mats, and a cargo tray.

There are several options that are Advanced only or only available on the A-Spec, and here's my take on each I compared:

Adaptive Damper System on Advanced: In Comfort mode this was too soft for me and seemed to float too much. On Sport and Sport+ mode things like aggressive shifting and increased noise in the cabin bugged me although I would probably get used to the noise down the road.

16 Way vs 14 Way seats: The Advanced adds a thigh extension and bolsters to the sides. After a week the thigh extension would have been nice as I find myself using the adaptive cruise control A LOT and a little more comfort would have been nice. The bolster aren't really needed until you plan on doing some racing in a two ton SUV as the A-Spec seats hold you in place well with the suede in the middle, while the Milano leather in the Advanced does allow for more sliding back and forth.

Heated rear seats: These would have been nice the very few times they would have been used.

Heated steering wheel: Would have been nice, but with remote start via app I'll live.

Surround view camera system: The resolution on the surround camera is awful, and the regular cameras actually have a couple of different views available on the screen. Side views would have been nice for parallel parking.

A-Spec specific: (Red gauge color, suede, sport pedals, exclusive colors, dark grill color, brushed black versus chrome trim, various badges, wood trim versus metal. 20" wheels) I really liked the look of the A-Spec interior where I will spend most of my time with the car. The suede is a nice touch that is functional in the seats. Only time will tell on how well it ages and wears. I prefer the red gauges also. The metal over the wood adds to the overall sportiness.

Heads Up Display: I would have preferred the HUD, but couldn't see it with either set of polarized sunglasses.

Rain Sensing Wipers: First car I've purchased without them in 10+ years. The car can drive itself, but can run the wipers automatically unless you buy the Advance.

Now the good, the bad, and ridiculous...

I came from an older 07 Lexus GS350 as my daily commuter car, and I was looking for updated technology that could last for several years, so CarPlay and Android Auto was a must. The Lexus touchscreen was fast and consistent and I only had two minor issues over the 12 years I owned the car from new. The Acura infotainment center is far from reliable and needs major fixes otherwise owners will not be pleased. Some selections take a second or two to switch, and some things take ridiculous amounts of time like the startup time. I can startup, back out of the garage, and be down the driveway before Bluetooth audio is available.

As others have said, the True TouchPad Interface (TTI) has a slight learning curve, and the overall system takes some time to sit down and configure to your liking. I'm very technical, but my girlfriend is not, and she had no problem getting used to the interface. The system is built on Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) which is concerning given that it was released in 2014 and security updates are going to be difficult to come by from Google if at all. The two drawbacks I've found are both poor design decisions in the user interface in that several screens have extra "Menu" buttons in the corners that you inadvertently select and you can't just hit a corner area to select that section, you have to hit slightly lower on the touchpad. The other drawback is that the back button is inconsistent when it goes back versus to the home screen.

The sound quality of ELS sound system is very good on the Advance and A-Spec (it’s the same system on both) with the proper multi-channel sound source in iOS or USB Audio as Bluetooth and Sirius do not support native, high quality, multi-channel audio. Unfortunately if you have a good size audio collection, the only real option is CarPlay until Android Auto comes out or Acura addresses the horrendous implementation of USB storage support. I bought a new low profile 128GB thumb drive to leave in the car as my latest generation iPod touch locked up several times connected as an audio device which was frustrating in itself.

USB audio support is an absolute mess with more than about 50 folders on the drive as the player must read through all folders first and then it will slowly make them available as content via folder, song, artist, and album. I've had the process take in upwards of 25 minutes with numerous songs per folder. I originally just grabbed about 200 folders of music organized by group and albums in a separate sub folder and the audio would never allow me to search or select anything but will usually start to play the first sub folder in order written to the drive. After over an hour trying to load this originally, I gave up and went with something smaller with 10 folders. This worked after about two minutes of reading the drive, but things like track number and song names are ignored and only the order of writing to the drive is followed for playback by folder, artist, or album. I then tried to put 47 folders of 100 songs each with Billboard's Top 100 from 1970 to 2017, and after a 30 minute drive to work, it never came back. I've started using playlists and the experience is better as it at least plays in some sort of order. Most other platforms addressed the write first play first issue 10 years ago.

Two other poorly implemented audio features are that the Bluetooth audio function only show the artist on the smaller righthand card on the display or quickly on song change on the drivers display on some sources. There is no way to see the artist on the large center screen which is bizarre. Another oddity is the status bar on the side card has several icons of device connections and often a +2 icon when there is plenty of additional room to display those icons. They should have put the outdoor temperature there as the only place with the outdoor temp is the small display on drivers cluster and others can't see it.

CarPlay support has been very good, but it reverts to a traditional touchpad interface without the TTI zone support which had been covered everywhere.

I've been using the Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) a lot during commutes and it is very good. My only complaint is the breaking is very hard at times. Gas mileage is horrible when using ACC. I still can't tell if Comfort, Sport, or Sport+ make any difference in ACC other than ride quality.

Many settings you can adjust like turning off the auto engine off settings, and adjusting the drivers display, are not retained per driver or are reset every time you start the car which is frustrating. Another oddity is that you cannot change the driver's cluster brightness settings while in motion.

Other items of interest for all models, the rear, floor based storage compartments are somewhat leak proof for smells as I put leftover Chinese food in one of them (not my choice), and left it enclosed in it while at the mall for over an hour. Two hours later when we got home and opened the compartment you could smell the leftovers, but not before it was opened.

The remote start via AcuraLink is nice, but seems to only lasts six months before you have to pay a subscription. I skipped the FOB based accessory.

Overall I am really enjoying my new SUV, contrary to the above lack of polish issues. This is my first Acura, but had two Hondas in the late 80s and early 90s which were great cars, and it's amusing that the air conditioner controls are very similar 20 years later. Coming from Lexus, the dealer experience is so much better with Lexus that I am not looking forward to my services at Acura if the customer experience continues down the same path.
The following 18 users liked this post by DanFun:
billyt1963 (06-09-2018), Boltface (06-09-2018), catbert430 (06-09-2018), jcardona1 (06-11-2018), Keith-OH (06-09-2018), losiglow (06-11-2018), mattski (06-10-2018), MrJames (06-10-2018), Notte (06-10-2018), OA5599 (06-10-2018), oblio98 (06-10-2018), Outfitter (06-10-2018), Pluton (06-10-2018), r1ckster (06-10-2018), superblast (06-12-2018), TLX17 (06-10-2018), Tony Pac (06-11-2018), warrenj3139 (06-10-2018) and 13 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-10-2018, 12:53 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Is there still a ~3 second delay with bluetooth audio? For example, if you play a video on your phone while connected with bluetooth audio, the sound on the video will be delayed/out of sync 3 seconds coming out of the speakers.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:39 AM
16’ RLX SH-AWD

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DanFun

Heated steering wheel: Would have been nice, but with remote start via app I'll live.
Very informative. Bummer on the mileage with ACC.

Looking in the installation times, there are part numbers listed for A-Spec heated steering wheel options. Much like you could add heated to the base/tech, looks like there is matching version for A-Spec as well. One for each color of stitching.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ctions-969946/
The following users liked this post:
DanFun (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 08:39 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
gas mileage is horrible. Could you elaborate current running total or any specifics.

You would be amazed that there are no accurate mpg reports on the new VC Infiniti engine other than good and it has been out a while now.

thanks!
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by K.Rock

Very informative. Bummer on the mileage with ACC.

Looking in the installation times, there are part numbers listed for A-Spec heated steering wheel options. Much like you could add heated to the base/tech, looks like there is matching version for A-Spec as well. One for each color of stitching.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ctions-969946/
Yeah, I'll probably do this towards the end of summer as my dealer didn't have any for the A-Spec in stock yet.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:38 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by idgystinks
gas mileage is horrible. Could you elaborate current running total or any specifics.

You would be amazed that there are no accurate mpg reports on the new VC Infiniti engine other than good and it has been out a while now.

thanks!
I just refueled for the first time yesterday, and given I've been more aggressive with acceleration than I normally would, specifics are going to be difficult for a little while. I've also spent time in the garage at idle with the AC on trying to figure out a better way to deal with the USB audio as my garage is 110+ in the summer. I probably won't have solid, numbers for a month, and was going off the numbers given on the drivers display.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:56 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by skarface
Is there still a ~3 second delay with bluetooth audio? For example, if you play a video on your phone while connected with bluetooth audio, the sound on the video will be delayed/out of sync 3 seconds coming out of the speakers.
Sorry. I need to clarify, changing tracks isn't delayed, it's switching sources or displays on the 10" screen that is delayed. Track changes are mostly instantaneous. I have had the playlist on Amazon Music lock completely up at the end of a playlist, but this might be related to the fact that repeat seems stuck on (white bar underlining repeat all) and I hit next track not knowing its the last track. I would have thought it would have restarted the playlist as it does on my other cars.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:14 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
The USB music is disappointing to say the least since that was what I planned to use.

After the long reading of the USB takes place does the entertainment system remember the data the next time the car is turned on? I can probably guess the answer.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 77 Posts
I just refueled for the first time yesterday, and given I've been more aggressive with acceleration than I normally would, specifics are going to be difficult for a little while. I've also spent time in the garage at idle with the AC on trying to figure out a better way to deal with the USB audio as my garage is 110+ in the summer. I probably won't have solid, numbers for a month, and was going off the numbers given on the drivers display.
please back out of the garage if you’re going to sit at idle!!!!!!
DanFun (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Boltface
The USB music is disappointing to say the least since that was what I planned to use.

After the long reading of the USB takes place does the entertainment system remember the data the next time the car is turned on? I can probably guess the answer.
I agree, very disappointing given I planned to use it until Android Auto support worked. The next start up times are better after short stops, which I would guess is because it is reading an index. Overnight seem to take longer again (but not as long as the first), but I've not tried many different scenarios in the week. Removing the USB drive, even without changes, causes the indexing to start over. Switching USB devices also causes the auto (random) play to take longer as it probably has to wipe out the indexes. I have five or six USB drives I'll switch between over the next few days and see the differences.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Sorry. I need to clarify, changing tracks isn't delayed, it's switching sources or displays on the 10" screen that is delayed. Track changes are mostly instantaneous. I have had the playlist on Amazon Music lock completely up at the end of a playlist, but this might be related to the fact that repeat seems stuck on (white bar underlining repeat all) and I hit next track not knowing its the last track. I would have thought it would have restarted the playlist as it does on my other cars.
My question is different. On the other Acuras I've tried, when connecting through bluetooth audio and I go to watch a video, there will be a 3 second delay from when the video starts playing until the sound catches up. So the video is over and there is still 3 seconds of sound playing. It is kind of annoying so I'm wondering if they fixed it in this new infotainment system. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2018, 11:42 AM
Pro

When I test drove, I didn’t notice much lag in switching the sources and such, but maybe I was just in a mode of too much excitement and ADHD. I’ll look at that in more detail when I go next time to hopefully lock in the color and get one under my ass.

The good news is that updates can be done easily so if this is a common complaint and they work out the bugs it’s just an update from you garage.

with my car now I use my iPod Touch as a dotage device basically and it’s hooked up and left in the car. I will probably do the same thing with the rdx depending on what Apple CarPlay looks like with it. The iPod itself is slow because of the latest iOS update and sometimes it doesn’t work at all with the car so if I get more of that then I’ll just use my iPhone and connect it when I get in the car.

Out of curiosity what kind of usb flash drive are you using for stage and what phone do you have? I know some flash drives can read slower than others so maybe that’s the issue? I wonder is acura has tested and has recommendations on what typenof drives work best? I would also make sure you’re on the latest iOS software so that CarPlay is as up to date as possible. That could have an impact on the speed of the system.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:43 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dizzyg12

please back out of the garage if you’re going to sit at idle!!!!!!
Thanks Dizzy, I actually back the rear end of the car out and kick on the front fan of the garage so it blows any stray exhaust out. I lived in North Carolina for six years and was amazed at all the medical emergencies during the winter with people running cars, barbecue grilles and stoves in their garage with the door closed.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
The system is built on Android 5.1.1 (Lollipop) which is concerning given that it was released in 2014 and security updates are going to be difficult to come by from Google if at all.
It is curious that Honda picked Lollipop instead of Marshmallow for RDX, considering that when Odyssey and Pilot received their Android-based head units in 2017 and 2015, respectively, they came with Lollipop and Jellybean. Google has supported each Android release by not more than three years. Hardly anyone uses a 10-year-old phone, but there are plenty of 10-year-old cars on the road.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Intermediate

My question is different. On the other Acuras I've tried, when connecting through bluetooth audio and I go to watch a video, there will be a 3 second delay from when the video starts playing until the sound catches up. So the video is over and there is still 3 seconds of sound playing. It is kind of annoying so I'm wondering if they fixed it in this new infotainment system. Thanks!
I hadn't thought of doing that (no kids so no video needs), but it still does the same delay although maybe a little shorter than three seconds. I tried it from Android and iOS with VLC, Plex, and the built in players with the same results, so I'm guessing it's a buffer on their playback maybe to prevent audio cut out.
skarface (06-10-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 03:15 PM
Intermediate

When I test drove, I didn’t notice much lag in switching the sources and such, but maybe I was just in a mode of too much excitement and ADHD. I’ll look at that in more detail when I go next time to hopefully lock in the color and get one under my ass.

The good news is that updates can be done easily so if this is a common complaint and they work out the bugs it’s just an update from you garage.

with my car now I use my iPod Touch as a dotage device basically and it’s hooked up and left in the car. I will probably do the same thing with the rdx depending on what Apple CarPlay looks like with it. The iPod itself is slow because of the latest iOS update and sometimes it doesn’t work at all with the car so if I get more of that then I’ll just use my iPhone and connect it when I get in the car.

Out of curiosity what kind of usb flash drive are you using for stage and what phone do you have? I know some flash drives can read slower than others so maybe that’s the issue? I wonder is acura has tested and has recommendations on what typenof drives work best? I would also make sure you’re on the latest iOS software so that CarPlay is as up to date as possible. That could have an impact on the speed of the system.
I hadn't noticed it driving either with just Bluetooth audio, but as soon as I started using USB audio it's obvious. I tried several types of drives and media with the same results. The drive I purchased was a Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT (https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-muf-128bb-am/) as it was the largest low profile drive I could find locally that was temperature rated. I tried a couple of older 2.0 Sandisk drives, a 1.1 Kingston, and a Lexar pro rated drive. For phones, my girlfriend has an iPhone 8 Plus which works great in CarPlay, its as soon as you do Bluetooth when you drop artist names and tracks. My daily driver Android phone is a Pixel XL 2 which is also current. For the heck of it, my Samsung S3 Classic watch also has the same issue, but does play fine via Bluetooth.
Old 06-10-2018, 04:53 PM
Pro

I hadn't noticed it driving either with just Bluetooth audio, but as soon as I started using USB audio it's obvious. I tried several types of drives and media with the same results. The drive I purchased was a Samsung 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive FIT (https://www.samsung.com/us/computing...-muf-128bb-am/) as it was the largest low profile drive I could find locally that was temperature rated. I tried a couple of older 2.0 Sandisk drives, a 1.1 Kingston, and a Lexar pro rated drive. For phones, my girlfriend has an iPhone 8 Plus which works great in CarPlay, its as soon as you do Bluetooth when you drop artist names and tracks. My daily driver Android phone is a Pixel XL 2 which is also current. For the heck of it, my Samsung S3 Classic watch also has the same issue, but does play fine via Bluetooth.
good to know the iPhone 8 works well that’s what I have anyway. I have to say that Bluetooth tech in general is not great these days. Conceptually it’s awesome but I have connection issues with everything at some point. Even my sound bar at home for my tv connects to the SW with Bluetooth and at least once a week I’m resetting things. My wife’s crv is garbage with Bluetooth as well. It’s not something I would ever depend on.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:03 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review. The USB stuff is quite demoralizing. We can only hope that things can be improved over time with updates. Nothing like living with something for a while, even if it's only a week, as opposed to a minute or two in the car for a test drive.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
Re: horrible fuel economy

keep in mind this is a brand new engine. Fuel economy is always bad for the first few hundred miles, until the engine is broken in. It can take as long as 800 miles for proper break in. you'll notice your fuel economy improve in a couple weeks time.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by TacoBello
Re: horrible fuel economy

keep in mind this is a brand new engine. Fuel economy is always bad for the first few hundred miles, until the engine is broken in. It can take as long as 800 miles for proper break in. you'll notice your fuel economy improve in a couple weeks time.
mans also use the correct fuel. Putting an 87 octane on this won’t bode well for the economy. 91 or better
Old 06-10-2018, 06:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by Accord07
It is curious that Honda picked Lollipop instead of Marshmallow for RDX, considering that when Odyssey and Pilot received their Android-based head units in 2017 and 2015, respectively, they came with Lollipop and Jellybean. Google has supported each Android release by not more than three years. Hardly anyone uses a 10-year-old phone, but there are plenty of 10-year-old cars on the road.
What in the heck is all this talk about lolipops and jelly beans and gum drops
You guys are making me hungry hahah.

Great write up OP, kind of surprising to see Acura software (hardware?) that dates to 2014 on a system that came out in 2018 but I suppose that is when development started. So now I’m wondering if in 2-3 years it’s going to be obsolete or will they be able to upgrade it in newer model years, can they change out that component for a more modern one?

I also read that the surround view system quality is horrible and honestly I had it on the 2018 Q5 Loaner and it was amazing quality but I did not care for it. Like I could also live without it. The more I look at it the more I think A-Spec is the best bargain in the model range (especially in Canada where we get heated steering wheel and rear seats as well as power folding mirrors).
Old 06-10-2018, 07:07 PM
Instructor

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts
Acura using an old version of Android is not weird, and in fact it's quite common when OEM's use Android as the base OS. At work we have a bunch of room organizers outside conference rooms that allow you to book them on a touch screen, and that runs on an old version of Android as well. Its not something I'd be discouraged about.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:02 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Yes, but unless there can be operating system upgrades, which I somehow doubt, the cars software can get obsolete very quickly, it seems to me.
Old 06-10-2018, 09:25 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Yes, but unless there can be operating system upgrades, which I somehow doubt, the cars software can get obsolete very quickly, it seems to me.
Oh I can almost guarantee the base OS will never be updated. So if it's on Lollipop now it will never get Marshmallow. It can get updates to improve functionality and speed, but not the base. Android phone manufacturers have enough trouble updating to the newest Android version never mind a car company.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Thanks for the detailed review. The USB stuff is quite demoralizing. We can only hope that things can be improved over time with updates. Nothing like living with something for a while, even if it's only a week, as opposed to a minute or two in the car for a test drive.
The support for USB audio in the 2nd gen has been awful too and still is to this day so my hopes are not high on receiving improvements. I ended up buying an iPod and it's been great. I guess the iPod does the indexing and sorting so the head unit has very little work to do and everything is silky smooth.
Old 06-11-2018, 08:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mcrompton
Oh I can almost guarantee the base OS will never be updated. So if it's on Lollipop now it will never get Marshmallow. It can get updates to improve functionality and speed, but not the base. Android phone manufacturers have enough trouble updating to the newest Android version never mind a car company.

That’s what I think too. What happens in 4 or 5 years when the car is still good, but the software is so old that it might no longer keep up with the phones? Will Apple’s IOS 15 really still work with a 10 year old Android system?

They no longer make the Nav DVD on my BMW, so the Nav is almost useless now.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Pro

That’s what I think too. What happens in 4 or 5 years when the car is still good, but the software is so old that it might no longer keep up with the phones? Will Apple’s IOS 15 really still work with a 10 year old Android system?

you buy a cassette tape connected to a 3.5mm jack to a lightning adapter converter and plug in your Apple iPhone XXIX
Old 06-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Pro

you buy a cassette tape connected to a 3.5mm jack to a lightning adapter converter and plug in your Apple iPhone XXIX
In all seriousness, acura will tell you they have planned to allow future updates. The thing you have to remember is that acura is just taking the android software code and tweeting it to work as they need to on the car. Android is not making the software specific to each car manufacturer. So in 5-7 years android may have a new version of whatever that acura can tweak again as needed for the car, provided the hardware supports it. Much would depend on the processors and such being used for the system.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Instructor

CarPlay is basically all on your phone, so yes iOS 15 shouldn't be a problem on an older head unit. That's why CarPlay/Android Audo (if you have an Android phone that gets regular updates) is so great. You can "update" your infotainment center via your phone, rather than waiting on a car company to do it, which of course rarely happens.
Curious3GTL (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
i had that lag issue on my 2nd Gen RDX, but it completely gone on 3rd Gen.
skarface (06-11-2018)
Old 06-11-2018, 11:36 AM
Drifting

CarPlay is basically all on your phone, so yes iOS 15 shouldn't be a problem on an older head unit. That's why CarPlay/Android Auto (if you have an Android phone that gets regular updates) is so great. You can "update" your infotainment center via your phone, rather than waiting on a car company to do it, which of course rarely happens.
I have been through many upgrade cycles. Look back 5 years, and see if you could have accurately predicted the current state of the art of phones and automobile software. Even if you think you can, do you think you can really predict what 5 years hence will bring?

I am concerned whether Acura will support the 2019 software much past the Gen 4 RDX, or even the mid-cycle upgrade if a new head unit and software control package is included.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor

I have been through many upgrade cycles. Look back 5 years, and see if you could have accurately predicted the current state of the art of phones and automobile software. Even if you think you can, do you think you can really predict what 5 years hence will bring?

I am concerned whether Acura will support the 2019 software much past the Gen 4 RDX, or even the mid-cycle upgrade if a new head unit and software control package is included.
As far as I know, as long as the car supports CarPlay, it will always support CarPlay. Doesn't matter which version of iOS is running it. I've never heard of a car that said "does not support CarPlay beyond iOS 10." I could be wrong, just saying it would be a big surprise for me.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:41 PM
Drifting

As far as I know, as long as the car supports CarPlay, it will always support CarPlay. Doesn't matter which version of iOS is running it. I've never heard of a car that said "does not support CarPlay beyond iOS 10." I could be wrong, just saying it would be a big surprise for me.
I understand that. But 5 years ago, there was no car play.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

FWIW this is not a Honda/Acura specific issue. The bluetooth delay is just as bad in my dad's 5 series and my friend's Murano. The only vehicle I've been in that didn't experience this lag was a 2016 Ford Explorer.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:03 AM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks for the detailed review.

You didn't talk about the PUSH-BUTTON-SHIFTER-FROM-HELL.

Can you please share your thoughts about that?
Old 06-12-2018, 07:56 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apple used the 30 pin dock for 10 years before switching to Lightening...that caused many devices to stop working w/ older cars that had iphone support for the 30 pin connector. We are about 5 years in to Lightening so who's to say they won't change connectors 5 years from now?
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ultramart
Thanks for the detailed review.

You didn't talk about the PUSH-BUTTON-SHIFTER-FROM-HELL.

Can you please share your thoughts about that?
I'm not a fan, but you get used to it after awhile. The first few days was not pretty, and I would blindly hit the D/S button to start the car, or hit D/S to put it in park. I still have to sometimes consciously think which button to use, but it's getting better. Between it and the GIANT mode selector it eats up a ton of space which would have been nice to move the AC controls, volume, within easy arms reach. Also if they could have made the center air vent so it could directly hit the driver, and to be able to be fully turned off when you don't want it.

On a related note, the auto parking brake has been REALLY annoying the last two days as it has kicked on badging in to work. I may have bumped it, but it gets your attention by beeping, blinking, and nearly yelling "release brake."
Old 06-12-2018, 08:51 AM
Intermediate

I'm not a fan, but you get used to it after awhile. The first few days was not pretty, and I would blindly hit the D/S button to start the car, or hit D/S to put it in park. I still have to sometimes consciously think which button to use, but it's getting better. Between it and the GIANT mode selector it eats up a ton of space which would have been nice to move the AC controls, volume, within easy arms reach. Also if they could have made the center air vent so it could directly hit the driver, and to be able to be fully turned off when you don't want it.

On a related note, the auto parking brake has been REALLY annoying the last two days as it has kicked on badging in to work. I may have bumped it, but it gets your attention by beeping, blinking, and nearly yelling "release brake."
i agree that AC control buttons are far away from your seat position.

You can deactivate automatic parking brake. It is in the manual.
DanFun (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 09:07 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joe424242

You can deactivate automatic parking brake. It is in the manual.
Yeah I saw that, but I'd like to keep it on, as it's an old habit from driving a stick for years. I was just surprised it came on while in drive...so hopefully it was just me bumping it.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:21 AM
Intermediate

Yeah I saw that, but I'd like to keep it on, as it's an old habit from driving a stick for years. I was just surprised it came on while in drive...so hopefully it was just me bumping it.
i have been driving automatic transmission cars all the time. It is good habit to always apply parking brake. It protects your gears.

I hope you might have been bumping it. Otherwise, it would be a huge safety issue if it turns on automatically. Try to adjust your seat position though.

Btw, I wanted to activate auto parking brake. I followed the manual but it did not work. How did it take you to set this up? I pressed and held the button and heard beeping but when I pulled it up and held I did not hear any beeping.

Quick Reply: New Owner One Week Review (long)