Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 11:31 PM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
I think the RDX will likely hold up mechanically, but tech wise is a different story.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 891 Likes on 681 Posts
Originally Posted by Midnight Mystery
I think the RDX will likely hold up mechanically, but tech wise is a different story.
I wouldn't be so sure, there have been reports of gas getting into the oil and that 10AT is yet undetermined. I don't look at forums as true indicators of reliability but that initial reliability thread is sitting at 50:50 right now. Would have never happened in a Honda or Acura a decade ago.

@kurtatx How is your A4 holding up?
Old 01-16-2019, 12:47 AM
Null and proud of it

I am a little worried about the gas/oil thing. That's freaky.

10AT is now being used in conjunction with the V6 in the Odyssey Touring, so I'm assuming that Honda is beginning to get the feel for what that transmission is capable of handling.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:48 AM
Null and proud of it

If Audi can get their reliability straight that would be awesome! That 2.0T is nothing to sneeze at!
Old 01-16-2019, 01:12 AM
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
If Audi can get their reliability straight that would be awesome! That 2.0T is nothing to sneeze at!
Well, this is awkward lol
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...reliable-cars/
Old 01-16-2019, 01:38 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by skarface
Pretty much validates everyones complaints on this forum.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:47 AM
Null and proud of it

What does it say? I'm locked out.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:54 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Acura: The past few years have seen Acura—Honda’s luxury brand—add new automatic transmissions and infotainment systems, and they caused reliability headaches. These problems have been worked out on most models, although the MDX is still below average in these two areas.

​​​​​​
Honda: Honda’s reliability is bogged down by some of its new and redesigned models. The Odyssey minivan had much-worse-than-average reliability, with problems including the infotainment system, and door locking and unlocking. The CR-V SUV and the new Accord dropped to average, with problems including the infotainment system and interior rattles. Honda’s Clarity line of alternative-fuel cars had much-worse-than-average reliability. Reported problems included electronic glitches.

The reliability ratings table shows Acura at 13th, while Honda is 15th. Toyota and Lexus leads the pack. German and Korean cars are rated above Acura.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:10 AM
Racer

What does it say? I'm locked out.
Audi is ranked 7th with the Q5 being listed as their most reliable model.
Acura is ranked 13th with the ILX being the most reliable model.

You can take it with a grain of salt but it's just funny that Acura has a history of reliability but the complaints on this forum kind of align with what Consumer Reports is saying as well. Maybe the glory days are over, maybe not?

Still not sure I'm convinced that I would choose a Q5 over a RDX if I was planning on keeping the car for 10 years or so.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:15 AM
Racer

Here's Consumer Report's take on Audi and BMW while we are at it to close the loop on the Q5 and X3 since those seem to be the RDXs main competitors.

Audi: All the Audi models that we have sufficient reliability data for rated average or better, although the scores were not as high as they’ve been in previous years. This includes the 2018 Q5 SUV, and the A5 coupe and convertible. A number of Audi sedans and SUV are being redesigned for 2019.

BMW: The redesigned X3 was below average, with climate system problems, including coolant leaks, and seat controls that required the seatback to be replaced. The X1 dropped to below average, with suspension problems, premature brake wear, and steering-wheel vibrations.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:48 AM
Null and proud of it

A little off topic, but...

Regarding Honda, other than the LED accent lights that burn out partially or fully for no reason, the 9G Accord MMC is beginning to seem like such a solid car in restrospect!
Old 01-16-2019, 04:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by skarface
Audi is ranked 7th with the Q5 being listed as their most reliable model.
Acura is ranked 13th with the ILX being the most reliable model.

You can take it with a grain of salt but it's just funny that Acura has a history of reliability but the complaints on this forum kind of align with what Consumer Reports is saying as well. Maybe the glory days are over, maybe not?

Still not sure I'm convinced that I would choose a Q5 over a RDX if I was planning on keeping the car for 10 years or so.
The glory days have BEEN over. Honda and Acura just aren't what they used to be. It all went downhill since they started using the ZF9 in the TLX back in 2015 and arguably with the introduction of the 2014 MDX. It used to be that you'd buy an Acura and know you were in for a solid ride for many years. Now it's scary. Honda especially has a horrible track record with transmissions and this 10AT is the most complex transmission they've ever made I'd think.

I'm glad I'm not buying right now. We'll see in the next 2-3 years how it goes. I personally wouldn't be shocked to see the 2000 5AT debacle play out again with the 10AT.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:54 AM
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The glory days have BEEN over. Honda and Acura just aren't what they used to be. It all went downhill since they started using the ZF9 in the TLX back in 2015 and arguably with the introduction of the 2014 MDX. It used to be that you'd buy an Acura and know you were in for a solid ride for many years. Now it's scary. Honda especially has a horrible track record with transmissions and this 10AT is the most complex transmission they've ever made I'd think.

I'm glad I'm not buying right now. We'll see in the next 2-3 years how it goes. I personally wouldn't be shocked to see the 2000 5AT debacle play out again with the 10AT.
Sort of why Im in a holding pattern on buying a new car..I really want the Volvo XC60 T6......but my 2016 Outback has had zero issues and running as new and only 27000 miles on it....do I really want to risk buying a new vehicle that may have issues
Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by flames9
Sort of why Im in a holding pattern on buying a new car..I really want the Volvo XC60 T6......but my 2016 Outback has had zero issues and running as new and only 27000 miles on it....do I really want to risk buying a new vehicle that may have issues
Since your vehicle is still pretty darn new, I'd personally wait another year or two and see how it goes. It is a super poor financial decision to switch out of a perfectly fine car to one that is very questionable. With that being said, life is too short to be driving something you don't like.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
If your concern is reliability/longevity I wouldn’t buy the first year of a redesign.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:16 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
If your concern is reliability/longevity I wouldn’t buy the first year of a redesign.
This has been a known factor for many years. Yet we buy them and then complain about issues.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:33 AM
Racer

Since your vehicle is still pretty darn new, I'd personally wait another year or two and see how it goes. It is a super poor financial decision to switch out of a perfectly fine car to one that is very questionable. With that being said, life is too short to be driving something you don't like.
I didn't know my wife had an account here!! lol Its def a poor financial decision, no way about it. I'm guessing most on here really do not need a new vehicle......its a total "want" If 1 was wise, one would keep the vehicle until it starts to have issues. My wife will keep her 2016 Forester forever....a car means nothing to her....if its comfortable....safe..no mechanical issues she is good to go for a long time, as in well over 10 years or so. Her 3 yr old Forester I think has 11,000 miles as it just goes to work and back and the odd errand.....we take my vehicle when we travel. if I do buy, I plan to keep it for 10 yrs....My volvo came in last Friday....I didnt special order it or anything, was just coming into their lot....decisions decisions.....
Old 01-16-2019, 06:42 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
This has been a known factor for many years. Yet we buy them and then complain about issues.
I am a huge Acura/Honda fan......I think many of us put more trust into this brand, so willing to take the risk on a 1st yr Acura....but yes 1 is wise to wait......waiting always seems to be the right answer...lol
Old 01-16-2019, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Dave Ramsey's advice:
I never advise buying a brand new car unless you have a net worth of at least $1 million. At that point, you’ve got enough assets in place to where you won’t even feel the massive hit in depreciation that comes with buying a new vehicle.But until then, drive good used cars. That’s what the typical millionaire did, and I want you to model your financial behavior after people who are in the position you want to be in some day!

Old 01-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
I wouldn't be so sure, there have been reports of gas getting into the oil and that 10AT is yet undetermined. I don't look at forums as true indicators of reliability but that initial reliability thread is sitting at 50:50 right now. Would have never happened in a Honda or Acura a decade ago.

@kurtatx How is your A4 holding up?
Traded it in for a preowned S4 that was like 20k below MSRP. So it's good.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by JB in AZ

Lincoln Nautilus: Still haven't driven this, but have an appointment to do so this Thursday.

So there it is, I haven't made up my mind or even got my "top two" yet. I think the RDX is one of them, but undecided on the other, or their ranking.

To use a famous quote: "I'LL BE BAAAAACKK"

All replies,counter points and other suggestions welcomed and appreciated. Trying to keep the total to no more than $50,000-$53,000. Also considering my first lease.
Got to the Lincoln dealer today, and drove a 19 Nautilus Reserve 2.0L T FWD. Very quiet, very plush, definitely a luxury vehicle (I know there is currently a discussion going on in another thread about what Luxury vehicles are). I'd really like to drive the RDX and the Nautilus back to back, but the dealers are quite a bit apart from each other. Perhaps I can at least get to drive them on the same day? Anyway, now I am even more conflicted. I feel the RDX is more sporty/luxury, and the Nautilus more quiet/Luxury. The MSRP on the Lincoln is about $7,000 more, roughly similarly equipped. It DOES have Android Auto, and it is a touch screen infotainment system, I don't believe Heads Up display is available. The Lincoln feels like a bigger vehicle, but it is only about 3 inches longer, if I have my specs correct.

To throw another wrinkle into my decision making here. LOL. On the recommendation of the sales rep (I have bought a few vehicles from him before, and he is a good guy) I also drove a Ford Edge Titanium with Elite package. Same chassis as the Nautilus, same engine, drive line, but just a bit less plush inside. Over $7,000 less money. Less warranty, and lower quality leather, but it is also very quiet and nice riding. Same safety features and tech, as far as I can tell. I don't think it has adjustable drive modes...But no question if it a Luxury vehicle, it is a Ford, after all. It's not that I haven't bought Fords in the past.

Decisions decisions.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 279 Likes on 183 Posts
Got to the Lincoln dealer today, and drove a 19 Nautilus Reserve 2.0L T FWD. Very quiet, very plush, definitely a luxury vehicle (I know there is currently a discussion going on in another thread about what Luxury vehicles are). I'd really like to drive the RDX and the Nautilus back to back, but the dealers are quite a bit apart from each other. Perhaps I can at least get to drive them on the same day? Anyway, now I am even more conflicted. I feel the RDX is more sporty/luxury, and the Nautilus more quiet/Luxury. The MSRP on the Lincoln is about $7,000 more, roughly similarly equipped. It DOES have Android Auto, and it is a touch screen infotainment system, I don't believe Heads Up display is available. The Lincoln feels like a bigger vehicle, but it is only about 3 inches longer, if I have my specs correct.

To throw another wrinkle into my decision making here. LOL. On the recommendation of the sales rep (I have bought a few vehicles from him before, and he is a good guy) I also drove a Ford Edge Titanium with Elite package. Same chassis as the Nautilus, same engine, drive line, but just a bit less plush inside. Over $7,000 less money. Less warranty, and lower quality leather, but it is also very quiet and nice riding. Same safety features and tech, as far as I can tell. I don't think it has adjustable drive modes...But no question if it a Luxury vehicle, it is a Ford, after all. It's not that I haven't bought Fords in the past.

Decisions decisions.
Ask your Lincoln dealership if you can get a 24-hour test drive. It's a great way to get a feel for it. Plus you can take it on a nice, long road trip to test drive the Acura. It doesn't get more back-to-back than that.

I sampled the MKC with the more potent 2.3T a couple times, and found it to be quite punchy (maybe too punchy), but I've never driven the 4-cylinder MKX/Nautilus. The Edge 2.0T is one of my favorite rental cars, however.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:07 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by HotRodW
Ask your Lincoln dealership if you can get a 24-hour test drive. It's a great way to get a feel for it. Plus you can take it on a nice, long road trip to test drive the Acura. It doesn't get more back-to-back than that.

I sampled the MKC with the more potent 2.3T a couple times, and found it to be quite punchy (maybe too punchy), but I've never driven the 4-cylinder MKX/Nautilus. The Edge 2.0T is one of my favorite rental cars, however.
OH... That's a GREAT idea! Thanks!

A close friend bought an 18 MKC with the 2.3T. He is very happy with it, but it doesn't have much rear seat leg room.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:49 PM
Suzuka Master

Decisions decisions.
Lol sorry it seems I've thrown a wrench into your plans hahah. You should definitely do a back to back drive and decide if you want sport luxury or luxury. It goes both ways in that you may get tired or the sporty side of the RDX or the extra comfort of the Nautilus. I personally would have a hard time choosing.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:34 AM
Racer

I liked the inside look of the Nautilus....looks sharp....but for me its just a bit too big...parking spots are small where I work, so every inch matters,lol Surprised it doesnt have heads up display....My wife hates that feature though, found it very annoying on test drives. Lot of great choices out there.....If 1 has a good dealer that takes good care of you...would sway my decision...could save a lot of head aches in case a problem arises
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Suzuka Master

I liked the inside look of the Nautilus....looks sharp....but for me its just a bit too big...parking spots are small where I work, so every inch matters,lol Surprised it doesnt have heads up display....My wife hates that feature though, found it very annoying on test drives. Lot of great choices out there.....If 1 has a good dealer that takes good care of you...would sway my decision...could save a lot of head aches in case a problem arises
Did you look at the baby sister to the Nautilus, the MKC?

I am surprised that your wife doesn't like HUD.. I think it can be disabled or at least the brightness turned way down.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:34 AM
Racer

Did you look at the baby sister to the Nautilus, the MKC?

I am surprised that your wife doesn't like HUD.. I think it can be disabled or at least the brightness turned way down.
I looked online @ it....and didnt really fall in love with it,lol but thats just me.....get some nice perks with the black label model!!
Old 01-17-2019, 07:38 AM
Suzuka Master

I looked online @ it....and didnt really fall in love with it,lol but thats just me.....get some nice perks with the black label model!!
At least you can rule that one out.. most of us truly believe the best bang for the buck is the '19 RDX. I enjoy getting into mine every day, FWIW
Old 01-17-2019, 07:54 AM
Racer

At least you can rule that one out.. most of us truly believe the best bang for the buck is the '19 RDX. I enjoy getting into mine every day, FWIW
No, I agree the RDX is a bang for ones buck, but my wife was not a fan of it..even though it would be my vehicle..she still has to like it.....She disliked (to put it nicely) the touch pads..as a passenger she found it very annoying to operate.....She found the cabin a bit loud....not sure why Acura felt the need to artificially input the engine noise.....And I always have said never buy the 1st yr of a major model chg....she was quick to bring that up,lol In my case..best to keep my 2016 Outback....I emailed my insurance broker....adding the Volvo XC60 T6 up my insurance by 500 a year....He stated when u add a new vehicle it breaks the lock on any other vehicle on ur plan....so my wife Forester jumps up as well....
Old 01-17-2019, 08:38 AM
Pro

Received 235 Likes on 141 Posts
No, I agree the RDX is a bang for ones buck, but my wife was not a fan of it..even though it would be my vehicle..she still has to like it.....She disliked (to put it nicely) the touch pads..as a passenger she found it very annoying to operate.....She found the cabin a bit loud....not sure why Acura felt the need to artificially input the engine noise.....And I always have said never buy the 1st yr of a major model chg....she was quick to bring that up,lol In my case..best to keep my 2016 Outback....I emailed my insurance broker....adding the Volvo XC60 T6 up my insurance by 500 a year....He stated when u add a new vehicle it breaks the lock on any other vehicle on ur plan....so my wife Forester jumps up as well....
My wife also hated the interior noise level and brought up the first year redesign issue. She felt that for a vehicle at this price point the interior should be much quieter. Fake engine noise should have a switch to turn it off.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:35 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
She disliked (to put it nicely) the touch pads..as a passenger she found it very annoying to operate...
My wife would hate the touchpad in the RDX. Since she would only drive it occasionally or be a passenger when I'd be driving, she wouldn't use it enough to get comfortable with it. I can only imagine the comments she would make when trying to do something (anything!) with the touchpad. She would feel much more at home with a regular touch screen device.

Old 01-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Drifting

I've narrowed my search down to 3 vehicles:

RDX Advance FWD
Cadillac XT4 Premium Luxury FWD
Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription FWD

Final decision will likely be made this weekend.

Anyone care to share additional comments or thoughts?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:13 PM
Null and proud of it

You likely have the highest posed in new member thread on this forum. I'm a Hondacura guy, so I'd say RDX, but really, I'm not really qualified to answer.my RDX is a 2007, so.......
Old 01-18-2019, 06:18 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

RDX Advance FWD
I have an Advance. It’s actually my wife’s car, and I see several comments above about concern that their wife wouldn’t like the touchpad. I was concerned about that, too — my wife really hates tech and change. But to my surprise, she took to the touchpad very quickly. She mastered the left-right swipe faster than I did. Plus, with the Advance and the HUD, we just use the left thumb wheel to scroll through and select our XM stations. The voice recognition for the nav is also excellent. You really don’t have to use the touchpad that often once everything is set up, and it is fairly intuitive after a day or two. My only negative is it doesn’t work exactly the same way with CarPlay, your have to drag your finger a big more, but it’s not a big difference.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:19 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Have you checked out the Q5, or are there no dealers close to you?
Old 01-18-2019, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1,025 Likes on 715 Posts

RDX Advance FWD
Cadillac XT4 Premium Luxury FWD
Volvo XC60 T5 Inscription FWD

Final decision will likely be made this weekend.

How long you gonna keep it? Similarly, lease or buy?

With FWD, Acura loses a big advantage.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

My thoughts exactly, it's almost not worth buying the RDX if you aren't getting AWD....
Old 01-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Have you checked out the Q5, or are there no dealers close to you?
As it turns out, the Audi dealer is right next to the Acura dealer, and have the same ownership. I have yet not looked at the Audis.

And just when I thought i was narrowing it down! LOL Guess Ill be stopping by Audi this weekend.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Madd Dog

My thoughts exactly, it's almost not worth buying the RDX if you aren't getting AWD....
Probably keep it 3 years, and leaning toward a lease.

FWD vs SH-AWD. Yeah. I get it. I'm not a canyon carver. What can I say?

But I DID ask for comments, and appreciate them!
Old 01-18-2019, 06:50 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
As it turns out, the Audi dealer is right next to the Acura dealer, and have the same ownership. I have yet not looked at the Audis.

And just when I thought i was narrowing it down! LOL Guess Ill be stopping by Audi this weekend.
Be sure to check out a Prestige model. The low end trims are not worth looking at, unless you just want the badge.

Quick Reply: New member