Multiple Warnings and Erratic Performance - Suggestions Appreciated??

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 05:26 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re-posting on main page. Searched and found so many others have similar issues with the 3rd Gen RDX, but not many post solutions/outcomes. So hoping for some assistance.

This 2019 RDX with Tech Package and ~53K miles, goes into limp mode occasionally or runs rough and has the following 10 (yes 10) warnings upon start up (link to video below):
  1. Emissions System Problem - Power May be Reduced
  2. Brake System - Performance May Be Reduced
  3. Brake System - Brake Hold System Problem
  4. Vehicle Stability Assist System Problem
  5. Hill Start Assist Problem
  6. Electric Power Steering System Problem
  7. Hill Start Assist Problem (again)
  8. ACC Adaptive Cruise Control System Problem
  9. Collision Mitigation Braking System Problem
  10. Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
Things tried, brake fluid level checked - its full, fresh AGM battery fully charged, checked all wiring to brake booster and nothing obvious. One Dealer changed a $1,400 board, but problem returned and so the board was removed and refunded, dealer now wants nothing to do with the car. This car is dangerous. What has happened to Acura/Honda?!

Suggestions welcomed - TIA,
Galco

Old 12-07-2023, 05:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
I suggest trying another Acura dealer. That’s a host of problems, probably hard to DIY diagnostic to find the root problem.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Sorry to hear about this. This is the first time I'm seeing someone post about multiple faults. Aside from trying another dealer, you could also contact Acura customer service and let them know your experience with the dealer since the dealer shouldn't be turning you away like this. They should be contacting Acura if they can't figure out the problem themselves.
Old 12-07-2023, 06:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,744 Likes on 6,746 Posts
do you have a multimeter? can you check the car's voltage off and running? Might be the alternator not charging the battery up enough and making the computer throw a bunch of unrelated codes.
Old 12-07-2023, 07:37 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thoiboi
do you have a multimeter? can you check the car's voltage off and running? Might be the alternator not charging the battery up enough and making the computer throw a bunch of unrelated codes.
Yes I am confident I've ruled out a voltage issue, not running the battery is 12.8v (new battery) and when running its 13.8+v at the terminals.
Old 12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
My first guess would be that your battery voltage is low.

I know that you installed a new BATTERY, but that won't help if your alternator is not charging the battery properly, and maintaining at least 13.8 volts.

You should also check for the same voltage at the 12v plug in the interior to make sure you don't have a loose or corroded connection between the battery and the other parts of the car.

After ruling out a low voltage issue, you need to have someone scan your car for error codes with an advanced bi-directional code scanner.

Don't confuse this with the simple OBDII scanner that you or your neighbour may already own. These DIY scanners will only scan for codes in the Engine Control Module (ECM). These error codes will cause the Check Engine Light (CEL) to come on.

Our RDX's have perhaps 20 additional computers/modules (guessing). These include the Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS), the Body Control Module (BCM), the HVAC module, etc, etc.

After scanning your RDX with one of these code readers, the mechanic will hopefully discover that all the errors originate in a single module, making the repair much easier.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:01 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Was there a certain error that preceded all these other ones? I had seen a video where a vehicle had displayed multiple errors, and the cause ended up being a blind spot sensor that corroded from water intrusion causing a communication issue on the CAN network.