Loose Change

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019 | 08:47 PM
6th Gear

Loose Change

Anyone found a good solution to storage of change? Not being a millenial, I do like to have actual cash money on hand to purchase things and end up with change. Is there a good tray insert or something that may go into the armrest storage or standup change sorter or something.

Dang millenials. Get off my lawn and respect the nickels and quarters.
Old 08-27-2019 | 09:11 PM
Advanced

I just put it in the armrest hole in the door.
Old 08-27-2019 | 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by livi19
Anyone found a good solution to storage of change? Not being a millenial, I do like to have actual cash money on hand to purchase things and end up with change. Is there a good tray insert or something that may go into the armrest storage or standup change sorter or something.

Lol I was just going to comment that I never ever carry cash with me, then read the post and go figure I'm a millennial and I feel attacked by this post because it's accurate. We really don't carry cash money anymore 😂😂 hahahaha.
Old 08-27-2019 | 11:35 PM
Drifting

Poppin Softie This and That Tray. ( Credit to a previous post on this forum ). Fits perfectly in the "under console" tray.

It's a soft, pliable rubber feel and it comes in multiple colors.

Embrace change, but don't let it jangle in your pocket.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Wander; 08-27-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-28-2019 | 12:02 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by RDX10
Lol I was just going to comment that I never ever carry cash with me, then read the post and go figure I'm a millennial and I feel attacked by this post because it's accurate. We really don't carry cash money anymore ���� hahahaha.
I'm not a millennial, and I don't really carry much cash on me. I do this because my credit cards offer a lot of cashback and I save more going cashless. Also, I don't have to worry if they get stolen. I also prefer credit cards at restaurants because it prevents them from tax evasion. Credit cards also offer benefits and protection cash can't, like extended warranties, primary rental car insurance, price protection, theft insurance, etc. Also, if you're not satisfied with the service provided to you, you can always dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Using cards instead of cash is really just a smarter way of paying for items. I don't really see much negative using them.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 08-28-2019 at 12:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JB in AZ (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 12:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
Using cards instead of cash is really just a smarter way of paying for items. I don't really see much negative using them.
Maybe because you look like a dork when you whip out the card to pay for a $1.25 soda or coffee at a convenience store?
Old 08-28-2019 | 01:33 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm not a millennial, and I don't really carry much cash on me. I do this because my credit cards offer a lot of cashback and I save more going cashless. Also, I don't have to worry if they get stolen. I also prefer credit cards at restaurants because it prevents them from tax evasion. Credit cards also offer benefits and protection cash can't, like extended warranties, primary rental car insurance, price protection, theft insurance, etc. Also, if you're not satisfied with the service provided to you, you can always dispute the transaction with your credit card company.

Those are all reasons I use plastic over paper. It's SO much less stressful than walking around with high volumes of money. I literally get nervous walking around with more than $150 in my wallet.

Originally Posted by Wander
Maybe because you look like a dork when you whip out the card to pay for a $1.25 soda or coffee at a convenience store?
Lol this is probably the ONLY thing I really hate about using cards. I feel like a total idiot paying debit for a $3.00 item. Butttt I'm getting some air miles even then and I'm happy.
Old 08-28-2019 | 05:52 AM
Pro

I use my credit card for 50 cents sometimes. No shame here. I’ll use plastic as an excuse I can’t give beggars money sometimes.
Old 08-28-2019 | 06:18 AM
mrgold35

I use a coin holder and a Rubbermaid caddy to hold my spare change. I even hide a few dollar under the coin holder if needed:

WinPlus coin holder, Amazon, $12, holds about $10 in change:
Amazon Amazon

Rubber Maid Caddy, Amazon, $6.50:
Amazon Amazon

Old 08-28-2019 | 06:23 AM
Advanced

With cash, identity theft chance is way less
no wonder consumer debt is out of control........don’t have the money, just whip out a credit card. Just saying.
Old 08-28-2019 | 07:39 AM
Instructor

I found this thing on eBay that could be good for loose change if there's a good surface to stick it. Possibly stick it to the wall inside your center console.

Old 08-28-2019 | 09:26 AM
Drifting

Agree 100%. I'm a baby boomer, and I use credit cards for almost everything. All the things you mentioned and ease of purchase are the reasons. I pay my credit card bills in full every month. In fact, for more than the last year, I have used Samsung Pay almost exclusively. I rarely have more than a $20 dollar bill in my wallet, and even then it is usually there for a very long time. When I travel, I add several $1 bills for tips.

And I have no shame when using a cc for a small purchase either. As was mentioned, miles, points, price protection, extended warranties, return protection, security, why use cash? And with Samsung Pay, (usable anywhere there is "swipe" capability) I don't even need to carry my credit cards in my wallet, they are all safely stored on my phone, with unique card numbers. No dig against Apple Pay, but I often get the "Oh, Apple Pay doesn't work here" when I hold my Samsung phone against the credit card terminal, and the look of surprise and "OH! it worked" LOL
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:39 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by livi19

Meto (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 10:12 AM
mrgold35

My 06 TSX and 08 RDX had built-in change holders. My 11 & 19 MDXs don't have the built-in change slots. Change slots are going the way of cigarette lighters and ash trays just like tape decks, steering column key slots, auto/manual trans stick shifts, and CD slots. What is going to be the next item to disappear from cars?
Old 08-28-2019 | 10:14 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by mrgold35
My 06 TSX and 08 RDX had built-in change holders. My 11 & 19 MDXs don't have the built-in change slots. Change slots are going the way of cigarette lighters and ash trays just like tape decks, steering column key slots, auto/manual trans stick shifts, and CD slots. What is going to be the next item to disappear from cars?
Drivers?
samiam_68 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 03:33 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Poppin Softie This and That Tray. ( Credit to a previous post on this forum ). Fits perfectly in the "under console" tray.

It's a soft, pliable rubber feel and it comes in multiple colors.

Embrace change, but don't let it jangle in your pocket.

https://www.amazon.com/Softie-This-T...s%2C166&sr=8-4
That was me!

And it's been in use over a year and works great, except when it gets close to the top you might lose a quarter or two if you corner too fast!

Old 08-28-2019 | 04:16 PM
The inconvenient truth

Theres a big negative especially for small businesses. Processing fees can really eat into their bottom line.

google will tell you "the average cost of processing payments for U.S. businesses that do between $10,000 and $250,000 in annual payments volume is between 2.87 percent and 4.35 percent per transaction"

Try to not use them for small businesses.
Old 08-28-2019 | 04:25 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Agree 100%. I'm a baby boomer, and I use credit cards for almost everything. All the things you mentioned and ease of purchase are the reasons. I pay my credit card bills in full every month. In fact, for more than the last year, I have used Samsung Pay almost exclusively. I rarely have more than a $20 dollar bill in my wallet, and even then it is usually there for a very long time. When I travel, I add several $1 bills for tips.

And I have no shame when using a cc for a small purchase either. As was mentioned, miles, points, price protection, extended warranties, return protection, security, why use cash? And with Samsung Pay, (usable anywhere there is "swipe" capability) I don't even need to carry my credit cards in my wallet, they are all safely stored on my phone, with unique card numbers. No dig against Apple Pay, but I often get the "Oh, Apple Pay doesn't work here" when I hold my Samsung phone against the credit card terminal, and the look of surprise and "OH! it worked" LOL

Me too. Just leave a change purse in the car for parking meters and toll machines, more and more meters now take credit cards, and EZ Pass and toll-by-plate cover most everything.
Old 08-28-2019 | 05:23 PM
Instructor

I use a coin holder that was equipped with the first gen Honda Ridgeline. Don’t ask me why but they have a slot for dollar coins.

oblio98 (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 07:56 PM
Skeptic

Back in my day, we had to stop at tolls to throw change into a basket. If we missed the basket, we had to get out of the car to pick up the change, but if we were too close to the booth, we couldn't get out and people behind us would blow their horns and a cop would have to come over and beat the shit out of us for being a dumb-ass.

And we liked it.
The following 4 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
Madd Dog (08-29-2019), oblio98 (08-28-2019), RDX10 (08-29-2019), Wander (08-28-2019)
Old 08-28-2019 | 08:35 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
Back in my day, we had to stop at tolls to throw change into a basket. If we missed the basket, we had to get out of the car to pick up the change, but if we were too close to the booth, we couldn't get out and people behind us would blow their horns and a cop would have to come over and beat the shit out of us for being a dumb-ass.

And we liked it.
I don't understand this "...stop at tolls to throw change into a basket..."
Old 08-28-2019 | 09:52 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I don't understand this "...stop at tolls to throw change into a basket..."
Like this.
Old 08-28-2019 | 11:38 PM
Drifting

Kinda looks like a urinal doesn't it? Think of it as pissing away money.

Sadly, there were some horrible crashes at those toll gates. So EZ Pass is actually a good thing from a safety standpoint, as well as convenience, traffic flow, and fuel economy considerations.

But it was always good sport to see if you could anticipate the exact instant the gate would go up, so you could get a good launch.
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:40 AM
Racer

This used to be true, but with the new fast chip readers, Apple Pay, and not having to sign any longer, people searching for pennies in their pocket or purse are the ones who get the stares these days.
Old 08-29-2019 | 08:10 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

And we liked it.
Boy was I PO’d when the Henry Hudson bridge went from a dime to a quarter.
Old 08-29-2019 | 10:02 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DrWoo
This used to be true, but with the new fast chip readers, Apple Pay, and not having to sign any longer, people searching for pennies in their pocket or purse are the ones who get the stares these days.
And then there are the caffeine junkies who have the correct change in hand when they scoot into the convenience store... ( ahem ).

As for the penny problem, in the midwest it's common to have "penny bins" next to the checkouts at convenience stores, for convenient recycling.