Looking for some input from those who've come from the previous gen

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 06:04 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looking for some input from those who've come from the previous gen

I'm deciding between a 2018 (last year of the previous generation) or a 2019 (first year of the latest gen)

I kind of prefer the simpler, cleaner looker of the previous gen, maybe with a grill replacement. The front of the new gen is 🔥🔥🔥 but I hate how the rear looks, especially the tail lights.

Interior wise, the newer tech is always a bonus but I'm fine with either. Any input on quality and craftsmanship?

In terms of performance and reliability, I don't have much experience with either of them, which is why I've come to you guys for opinions.

I would assume the 2018 being the final year of a generation generally means all the kinks are worked out and it's well refined compared to the first year of a gen.

Am I right to assume this? Would a 2018 be a better buy in terms of reliability?

What about performance? I assume the 2019 would be better overall? I'm mostly city driving (with or without traffic). Max 50-55 mph, average 40 mph.

Last edited by DonDizzurp; 02-14-2024 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
If the 2019 style isn't your thing, I would go the 2018. 2019 had a lot of bugs as with any first year of a new generation. 2020 which I owned until last week was better the '19, but still had it's issues too, but not quite as bad. I now have a '24 and it's night and day compared to my '20.

Also take a look of the TSB's that are listed on this great forum. As you go through them you will see less TSB's as the car gets newer in year.

My stepdad always bought his cars in the last year of that gen.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 02-14-2024 at 06:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Originally Posted by DonDizzurp
I'm deciding between a 2018 (last year of the previous generation) or a 2019 (first year of the latest gen)

I kind of prefer the simpler, cleaner looker of the previous gen, maybe with a grill replacement. The front of the new gen is 🔥🔥🔥 but I hate how the rear looks, especially the tail lights.

Interior wise, the newer tech is always a bonus but I'm fine with either. Any input on quality and craftsmanship?

In terms of performance and reliability, I don't have much experience with either of them, which is why I've come to you guys for opinions.

I would assume the 2018 being the final year of a generation generally means all the kinks are worked out and it's well refined compared to the first year of a gen.

Am I right to assume this? Would a 2018 be a better buy in terms of reliability?

What about performance? I assume the 2019 would be better overall? I'm mostly city driving (with or without traffic). Max 50-55 mph, average 40 mph.
The 2nd generation and 3rd generation RDX's really are night and day with respect to driving character, build quality, powertrains, features...etc.

Pros of the 2nd gen:
1 Solid and dependable V6 engine with many many years of work perfecting it (will need timing belt)
2 Slightly better performance (0-60 of ~6 seconds vs 3rd gens ~6.5 seconds).
3 2018 being the last year of gen 2 is likelyto be the most dependable RDX ever built.
3 Tried and true 6 speed automatic
4 Straightforward and simple controls, touch screen and not silly button shifter or true touch pad

Pros of 3rd gen:
1 Can tune the 2.0T easily for more Hp and TQ
2 SH-AWD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the shitty slip and grip AWD system of the 2nd generation + helps wifh cornering, not only a bad weather aid
3 Much better seats, much better driving position, much better driving feel and the steering wheel is substantially more improved vs the flimsy cheap 2nd gen steering wheel (this is a big one for me, it also comes heated on most trims, or can be added after the fact whereas no 2nd gens had a heated steering wheel).
4 Depending on trim you go with, many features not even available on the 2nd gen like ELS 3D, 16 way seats, HUD, Heated windshield (In Canada), panoramic sunroof, adaptive suspension, 360 cams with rear cam washer...etc (Again this depends entirely on what trim you go with, Tech and base have almost the same features as the 2nd gen).

Quality and craftsmanship: EASILY goes to the third gen. They used an extensive anount if soft high quality materials, real aluminum or wood...etc. 2nd gen was more like a CRV level vehicle.

Reliability: Definitely the 2018 just by virtue of being the last year, also because the electronics and powertrain are much much simpler (no turbo to go bad for example, not that it has been a common issue at all).

Performance: They both get similar fuel economy but the 3rd gen can be tuned for more speed and will run circles around the 2nd gen thanks to the world class SH-AWD system. So my nod is to the 3rd gen.

Originally Posted by Oil Stain
If the 2019 style isn't your thing, I would go the 2018. 2019 had a lot of bugs as with any first year of a new generation. 2020 which I owned until last week was better the '19, but still had it's issues too, but not quite as bad. I now have a '24 and it's night and day compared to my '20.

Also take a look of the TSB's that are listed on this great forum. As you go through them you will see less TSB's as the car gets newer in year.

My stepdad always bought his cars in the last year of that gen.
In what ways do you feel your 24 is superior? Congratulations btw! What color combo/trim did you go with?
The following 2 users liked this post by RDX10:
Baldeagle (02-15-2024), RDX-Rick (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 06:49 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I came from first gen into 3rd. Big difference
Old 02-15-2024, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
The 2nd generation and 3rd generation RDX's really are night and day with respect to driving character, build quality, powertrains, features...etc.

Pros of the 2nd gen:
1 Solid and dependable V6 engine with many many years of work perfecting it (will need timing belt)
2 Slightly better performance (0-60 of ~6 seconds vs 3rd gens ~6.5 seconds).
3 2018 being the last year of gen 2 is likelyto be the most dependable RDX ever built.
3 Tried and true 6 speed automatic
4 Straightforward and simple controls, touch screen and not silly button shifter or true touch pad

Pros of 3rd gen:
1 Can tune the 2.0T easily for more Hp and TQ
2 SH-AWD >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>the shitty slip and grip AWD system of the 2nd generation + helps wifh cornering, not only a bad weather aid
3 Much better seats, much better driving position, much better driving feel and the steering wheel is substantially more improved vs the flimsy cheap 2nd gen steering wheel (this is a big one for me, it also comes heated on most trims, or can be added after the fact whereas no 2nd gens had a heated steering wheel).
4 Depending on trim you go with, many features not even available on the 2nd gen like ELS 3D, 16 way seats, HUD, Heated windshield (In Canada), panoramic sunroof, adaptive suspension, 360 cams with rear cam washer...etc (Again this depends entirely on what trim you go with, Tech and base have almost the same features as the 2nd gen).

Quality and craftsmanship: EASILY goes to the third gen. They used an extensive anount if soft high quality materials, real aluminum or wood...etc. 2nd gen was more like a CRV level vehicle.

Reliability: Definitely the 2018 just by virtue of being the last year, also because the electronics and powertrain are much much simpler (no turbo to go bad for example, not that it has been a common issue at all).

Performance: They both get similar fuel economy but the 3rd gen can be tuned for more speed and will run circles around the 2nd gen thanks to the world class SH-AWD system. So my nod is to the 3rd gen.

In what ways do you feel your 24 is superior? Congratulations btw! What color combo/trim did you go with?
I'm going to do a little writeup on my experience of the 2 cars. Got the Apex Blue and black interior with red stitching. A-Spec Advance!

Last edited by Oil Stain; 02-15-2024 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RDX10 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:49 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
There was a thread about this a few months ago. You could probably find it with a search.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:52 PM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
I can from a 2 gen to a 3rd gen and it's a world of difference! I enjoy driving the 2022 MUCH more.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:37 AM
Pro

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolaur
I can from a 2 gen to a 3rd gen and it's a world of difference! I enjoy driving the 2022 MUCH more.
We did too and I agree. However, I miss the V6 engine and the better gas mileage.
The following users liked this post:
Techgirl (02-18-2024)