Lift Kit and 22s on a 2020 rdx

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2020, 12:06 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lift Kit and 22s on a 2020 rdx

Hi all,

Wanted to see what all the fuss is about lift kits on the rdx. I went through the forums and saw that the idea of lift kits on the previous gen rdx was taboo bc it’s a crossover and isn’t intended to be lifted. Will that be any different for the 2019-20 models or the same opinion?

Asking because I finally traded the 05 TSX for a 20 RDX FWD Advanced package and I love everything about it but the ground clearance. Ideally I’d like to lift it 3 inches and add 22s but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem doable or safe. What are your thoughts on this?
Old 05-23-2020, 12:37 AM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Acura engineers went to a lot of trouble to make the 3rd-gen RDX handle like a sports car. If you want to screw that up, lifting it would certainly do the trick. If you could even figure out a way to do it. It's not like this thing has leaf springs and solid axles.

Get a Wrangler and knock yourself out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wander:
Burger Steak & Eggs (05-24-2020), SpaceBot (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 12:52 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
Old 05-23-2020, 08:31 AM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a Wrangler and knock yourself out.

This same indignant canned response is in every thread where someone has a simple inquiry that goes beyond what this community perceives as added value. It’s not helpful and exemplifies the arrogance of the community.

regardless I have since looked further into it and see others are adding larger tires for additional ground clearance.
The following users liked this post:
801acuraeul (03-04-2023)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:01 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
White I don't represent the community, I am sorry for your initial poor welcome.

The folks here are honest, and often speak their minds, but are extremely helpful. They (we) do seem to have a sense of humor once you get to know them (us).

WELCOME to the forum.
The following users liked this post:
DontTouchTheWatch (05-23-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:18 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm not judging. I've got 22's on my RDX and also received a lot of flack for doing it. A 3 inch lift kit? It's your RDX, I want pics when you're done.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by DontTouchTheWatch
Hi all,

Wanted to see what all the fuss is about lift kits on the rdx. I went through the forums and saw that the idea of lift kits on the previous gen rdx was taboo bc it’s a crossover and isn’t intended to be lifted. Will that be any different for the 2019-20 models or the same opinion?

Asking because I finally traded the 05 TSX for a 20 RDX FWD Advanced package and I love everything about it but the ground clearance. Ideally I’d like to lift it 3 inches and add 22s but from what I’ve read it doesn’t seem doable or safe. What are your thoughts on this?
I do understand that I'm not obligated to reply to something I know nothing about and have no interest in, but I'll respond sincerely.

I'm personally not aware of any fuss related to this topic, but that's because this is the first time I've seen this question in connection to the 3G RDX. You surely realize that this is not a common mod to this type of vehicle. There may be some who've gone down this path, but most here will not have useful experience to share. Nonetheless, it's a valid question. Just don't expect a lot of useful information since you're paving a mostly new road here..

Good luck.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:07 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I think it really depends on what your goal is; add 22”s for looks? Performance? Lift kit for ground clearance for off road? Or looks?

Lift kits are antithetical to on road performance; they worsen aerodynamics and handling. And they’re potentially dangerous because they increase tip over risk. Bigger wheels can go either way; if you’re talking sports tires, that’s more rubber on the road and better stance. If you’re talking chunky rally tires, better grip on dirt roads but worse on asphalt and more road noise.

This is why generally lift kits are “taboo” in something like this RDX forum; they are seen mostly as appearance modifications that actually worsen performance, potentially dangerously. The RDX isn’t usually considered an off-road vehicle, where lift kits can actually be useful. But I’m a fan of the “rally all the cars” philosophy, so I’m not against mods if they make sense and bring joy to the owner. Personally I’d love to see an RDX kitted out for rally.

If you’re looking for performance mods, look at what Acura did with their SEMA RDX; bigger wheels but lower suspension. That’s the way to go.

Last edited by Waetherman; 05-23-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by DontTouchTheWatch
This same indignant canned response is in every thread where someone has a simple inquiry that goes beyond what this community perceives as added value. It’s not helpful and exemplifies the arrogance of the community.

regardless I have since looked further into it and see others are adding larger tires for additional ground clearance.
Nothing canned about it. It comes from a base of knowledge. Have you investigated how lift kits are installed, and the types of suspensions they are compatible with? Unless you are set up for custom fabrication of coil springs, shock absorbers, driveshafts, and damn near every moving component of the RDX suspension, about all you could do is get some increased ride height at the expense of suspension travel. For true off-roading, there is never enough suspension travel. If you just put bigger rubber on the thing, you run the risk of jamming that rubber into the wheel wells when you try to use the suspension travel. Or get the wheel wells packed up with mud and come to a grinding halt.

As for my somewhat terse suggestion ( it was late at night, you know... ), maybe get a beater Wrangler and do whatever the hell you want with it. It's hard to make one of those handle any worse. They are designed for off-road, and they are relatively easy to lift because of the primitive suspension design.

That makes far more sense than wrecking the performance of a car that is not intended for off-roading. It so happens I will be facing this dilemma myself in the near future because I will be moving to a place where a more off-road capable vehicle would be useful for pursuing my preferred outdoor activities. I have even considered trading in my RDX for a Grand Cherokee.

OTOH my RDX was pretty sweet carving up the paved mountain canyon roads. Choices.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Received 124 Likes on 58 Posts
Might I suggest looking into an air suspension kit (Bags), this has already been done to a RDX although to lower it. I am sure a airlift suspension kit could be made to lift as well, plus you can adjust it for various conditions so it is only lifted when needed.

My Volvo XC90 has factory air suspension which includes a dynamic mode for lowering (sport) and Offroad mode. I also added a custom air lift suspension to my 2010 Touareg TDI that worked well for 5+ years when I sold it.

By they way, if you wanted offroad capability why did you get a FWD? The SH-AWD is highly capable and would certainly help for offroad driving.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:23 PM
Unregistered Member

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Acura engineers went to a lot of trouble to make the 3rd-gen RDX handle like a sports car..
You're kidding, right?
Old 06-04-2020, 11:40 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom2
You're kidding, right?
I don't know....I find my RDX to handle quite well. Its very reassuring when I am driving through the mountains on those roads where a straight away is more a casual thought than anything.
Yes, the RDX handles well in many eyes. Not was well as a "real" sports cars but then its tall and heavy so cut it some slack.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
markm929 (06-05-2020), Wander (06-07-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 01:43 AM
Drifting

I've owned some sporty little cars that couldn't keep all four tires on the road because the chassis would twist like a Gumby. Fun to drive, yes, but not very reassuring when you tried to push it. RDX is solid and predictable.

And the adaptive suspension on the Advance takes it to the next level, IMO. But that magic wouldn't work as well without a solid platform.