Leather Repair Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 09:55 AM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
Leather Repair Question

Hi all,

This doesn't actually pertain to my RDX, but rather my wife's 17' Subaru Legacy with leather interior. On the driver's side seat bolster, there is a tear (about 3 inches long). I made an appointment with an auto upholstery repair place. They did whatever they do and resealed the tear. Honestly, I didn't think it looked the greatest after it was done, but I don't have anything to compare it to. The adhesive lasted for 3 months, and it is now sticking up. When the upholstery guy originally fixed it, he must have made the tear a little bit bigger to get a patch in there to secure it to since the tear is now about an inch longer than it previously was.

So, here is my question. What are my options at this point? I called the guy back, and he stated that he only provides a 60 day warranty. I am at 91 right now. So, he won't fix it for free. Do I pay another $140 to have him "reseal" it, or do I look into a replacement bottom seat cover? I priced them at Subaru, and they want $360 for the cover, and then $300 to install it. I'm not sure which way to go here. Do these repairs normally hold-up better? The guy told me that tears in high stress areas don't usually hold (Of course told me this AFTER he did the repair and my warranty is up).

If anyone has ever had any experience with this type of issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts/recommendations.

Thank you!
Old 03-24-2022, 01:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Hi all,

This doesn't actually pertain to my RDX, but rather my wife's 17' Subaru Legacy with leather interior. On the driver's side seat bolster, there is a tear (about 3 inches long). I made an appointment with an auto upholstery repair place. They did whatever they do and resealed the tear. Honestly, I didn't think it looked the greatest after it was done, but I don't have anything to compare it to. The adhesive lasted for 3 months, and it is now sticking up. When the upholstery guy originally fixed it, he must have made the tear a little bit bigger to get a patch in there to secure it to since the tear is now about an inch longer than it previously was.

So, here is my question. What are my options at this point? I called the guy back, and he stated that he only provides a 60 day warranty. I am at 91 right now. So, he won't fix it for free. Do I pay another $140 to have him "reseal" it, or do I look into a replacement bottom seat cover? I priced them at Subaru, and they want $360 for the cover, and then $300 to install it. I'm not sure which way to go here. Do these repairs normally hold-up better? The guy told me that tears in high stress areas don't usually hold (Of course told me this AFTER he did the repair and my warranty is up).

If anyone has ever had any experience with this type of issue, I'd love to hear your thoughts/recommendations.

Thank you!
I had that issue on a Mini and Jeep years back. Much better to buy a new seat bottom than repair it IMO. It will cost more upfront, but look better and last a lot longer. Otherwise you'll be repairing the 'fix' constantly.
Old 03-24-2022, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I had this on my older Lexus, took it to Auto Upholster shop, they stitched up new leather cushion cover, looks like original. Was around $500, Lexus dealer
was $2000 to put a OEM cover.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
I would also suggest getting new leather covers, it solves the issue once and for all. You will be amazed at how the new cover brighten up the interior. Stick with oem if you don't want surprise. Go custom-made if you want higher quality leather and perhaps lower total cost. Be cautious with readily-made covers, avoid Lseat.com at all cost for various issues (from my personal experience).
Old 03-25-2022, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
Buy the OEM cover and depending on your skill level DIY install. It’s not all that complex.
The following users liked this post:
hans471 (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
It is possible to repair some problems with leather seats. Many are fixed at the factory before the car gets shipped out, but these are done by people with the proper materials, skills and have lots of practice. They also have guidelines as to just what sort of damages they can reasonably repair. I have seen their repairs and they can do a perfect job that is difficult or nearly impossible to notice. That said, during my days as a deal tech I put on new seat covers. They are not as difficult as one may think, if one works at it. The advantage is you get OEM quality in materials and matching. Still anyone attempting to replace a cover should know it does require patience and some tools. (Many use 'hog rings" to hold on the cover).
The following users liked this post:
Showkey (03-26-2022)
Old 03-26-2022, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
This is a typical seat bottom cover on HONDA product……..other manufacturers are very very similar.
I recently did a Sprinter bottom cover. Aftermarket upholstery shop estimated $500 for a leather panel replacement with no guarantee on color match.
Cover was OEM cover was $400 two hour start to finish DIY repair.

Plastic clips often attached to the cover.

Old 03-26-2022, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Originally Posted by Showkey
This is a typical seat bottom cover on HONDA product……..other manufacturers are very very similar.
I recently did a Sprinter bottom cover. Aftermarket upholstery shop estimated $500 for a leather panel replacement with no guarantee on color match.
Cover was OEM cover was $400 two hour start to finish DIY repair.

Plastic clips often attached to the cover.

maybe depends on upholstery shop. One near mean is auto upholstery and leather button was 100% match and of high quality. I can’t tell the difference. People bring there expensive Mercedes and even saw one antique RR. $500 was well worth it.