Inches from pulling the trigger

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 03:27 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Inches from pulling the trigger

Hi All! love this forum - I don’t own an RDX and we’ve been shopping to replace my wife’s ‘15 CRV Touring with something a class higher. I’ve browsed several threads and have an idea of what we are in for as far as potential issues. Looked at Q5 since I drive an A4, but the RDX Is just stunning. We’ve located a few 2019 RDX with Aspec with blue exterior and are ready to pull the trigger on a CPO one.
Is there anything we should be on the lookout for? Are there things that don’t surface during test drive? With the wealth of knowledge from all of you, I’m hoping to avoid any “hidden issues”. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-19-2020, 04:15 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Unless it is the AWD, it is not more special than anything of its class.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Since its CPO 2019, it might have a long list of TSBs that need to be addressed, such as brake noise and Squeaky suspension. They can fix it, but you will need to visit a dealer. Things that others complained about currently have no fix:
1. Hesitation during acceleration
2. limp mode, its a serious issue that can happen. Does not seem to be wide spread, but we dont know all the statistics

read posts, you will see patterns on common issues and if dealer could fix it. Check if you are happy with body panel fitting and alignment. You dont want to go home and look closer and find some gap to be bigger than other and be upset

Last edited by russianDude; 07-19-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Unless it is the AWD, it is not more special than anything of its class.
Definitely with the Sh-awd
Old 07-19-2020, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by russianDude
Since its CPO 2019, it might have a long list of TSBs that need to be addressed, such as brake noise and Squeaky suspension. They can fix it, but you will need to visit a dealer. Things that others complained about currently have no fix:
1. Hesitation during acceleration
2. limp mode, its a serious issue that can happen. Does not seem to be wide spread, but we dont know all the statistics

read posts, you will see patterns on common issues and if dealer could fix it. Check if you are happy with body panel fitting and alignment. You dont want to go home and look closer and find some gap to be bigger than other and be upset
thanks! - great feedback! I’ve read about the limp mode - sounds scary, but seems like a sporadic issue - fingers crossed. This is probably my biggest worry.
the hesitation on acceleration I’m not too worried about as it seems to hunt many turbo cars.
Old 07-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Being over 6 feet tall, I can't fit in any of the Audi cars. The RDX interior overall feels much roomier compared to the Q5.

Though Acura has come a long way, I still feel that the German brands have superior infotainment systems and better grasp of luxury details. Granted, the latter is usually a list of expensive optional extras a mile long. I have the RDX advance package and every gadget you expect or could want is included.

If you intend to buy, the Acura's longevity and resale value is hard to beat. You can only lease European luxury cars; by the time you pay one off it is basically worthless, plus the servicing is exorbitantly expensive. In some states, Audi will offer you the option of buying "lease protection", whereby you can exit the lease within 30 days if you are dissatisfied (if only BMW offered that...).

With Acura, I would probably advise you to insist that the dealer give you an actual spare tire set, and make sure that they do all the infotainment software updates before you leave. Some of them require the tech to hard-reset the system by pulling the audio system fuse for 10 minutes.

Last edited by dblwishbone; 07-19-2020 at 04:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dblwishbone:
fogdoctor (07-24-2020), Ludepower (07-21-2020)
Old 07-19-2020, 05:50 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Have you gotten a quote for a new one? There are a lot of incentives right now for the rdx. Also used car wholesale prices have gone up in the recent months due to a lack of inventory. A new rdx may not be much more than a cpo... Either way welcome to the forum and the rdx is a great choice!
Old 07-19-2020, 07:25 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Received 147 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura
Have you gotten a quote for a new one? There are a lot of incentives right now for the rdx. Also used car wholesale prices have gone up in the recent months due to a lack of inventory. A new rdx may not be much more than a cpo... Either way welcome to the forum and the rdx is a great choice!
I like this advice. It's worth looking into.
Old 07-19-2020, 08:30 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I will say that though I own a 2020, the problems seem to be the same (unsurprisingly). Make sure the Nav/Infotainment is updated and working properly before buying, since some users have complained that updating causes problems. Also, make sure that that particular VIN isn’t on the recall list. Make sure the rear hatch clearance is good (this is an issue in cold weather) and that overall fit/finish is good all around. Other than that, I can’t recall any consistent issues to be aware of.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I went from a 2012 CR-V to the 2017 CR-V (a major upgrade) but still wanted a RDX. When they brought out the 2019 RDX I waited and got one the end of March 2019 after they had been out for awhile. Its been a very good car which after sixteen months and trips all over the country from oceans to mountains to the desert I love it as much as ever. No real problems other than a very occasional brake squeak which Acura took care of with a smile.
Some her complain about all these issues but honestly I have not see them. I talk to other owners and they feel the same I do...its a nice car. Cars are a person item and you have to find the one that suits what you like and want. Only you can decide if the RDX is right for you. I have no issues with mine. Its got the best sound system I have ever had in a car, the brakes have a great feel and stop the vehicle with authority. The ten speed is loads of fun and it sounds like a race car when you nail it and let her run. As for hesitation, I can make it happen if I want to or prevent it from happening if I want.Its never been an issue to me as I just "drive around it".
Disclaimer: I spent my 40+ year working career in the auto industry both as a young technician and then as a technical expert for then largest auto make in the world. I have literally driven many thousands of cars in my life and have a pretty clear sense of what I like and want in a car. My RDX works fine for me. Others will like different cars. Heck, I have heard people brag their Kia was the best car in the world! (all because they like the radio or something)> Whatever floats your boat! But I would say I would not avoid an RDX out of fear of it being some big lemon, it is not.
The following 3 users liked this post by hans471:
EXCALIBUR1 (07-20-2020), JB in AZ (07-20-2020), Ludepower (07-21-2020)
Old 07-20-2020, 08:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by hans471
I went from a 2012 CR-V to the 2017 CR-V (a major upgrade) but still wanted a RDX. When they brought out the 2019 RDX I waited and got one the end of March 2019 after they had been out for awhile. Its been a very good car which after sixteen months and trips all over the country from oceans to mountains to the desert I love it as much as ever. No real problems other than a very occasional brake squeak which Acura took care of with a smile.
Some her complain about all these issues but honestly I have not see them. I talk to other owners and they feel the same I do...its a nice car. Cars are a person item and you have to find the one that suits what you like and want. Only you can decide if the RDX is right for you. I have no issues with mine. Its got the best sound system I have ever had in a car, the brakes have a great feel and stop the vehicle with authority. The ten speed is loads of fun and it sounds like a race car when you nail it and let her run. As for hesitation, I can make it happen if I want to or prevent it from happening if I want.Its never been an issue to me as I just "drive around it".
Disclaimer: I spent my 40+ year working career in the auto industry both as a young technician and then as a technical expert for then largest auto make in the world. I have literally driven many thousands of cars in my life and have a pretty clear sense of what I like and want in a car. My RDX works fine for me. Others will like different cars. Heck, I have heard people brag their Kia was the best car in the world! (all because they like the radio or something)> Whatever floats your boat! But I would say I would not avoid an RDX out of fear of it being some big lemon, it is not.
We love our CRV and big fans of Honda products in general. Were thinking about getting another one, but at this point my other half deserves an upgrade She is an emotional shopper and mostly decides based on the looks and availability of a few comfort features. The RDX A Spec certainly checks off the "looks" box and more than checks the features boxes. I am glad to hear from someone with as much hands on driving experience as you because neither my wife nor I have a ton of experience with traditional automatics. I've driven manuals my entire life and the CRV has a CVT transmission. Prior to that it was a SUbaru XV - also with CVT. I enjoyed how the RDX shifted and drove during the test drive.

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I will say that though I own a 2020, the problems seem to be the same (unsurprisingly). Make sure the Nav/Infotainment is updated and working properly before buying, since some users have complained that updating causes problems. Also, make sure that that particular VIN isn’t on the recall list. Make sure the rear hatch clearance is good (this is an issue in cold weather) and that overall fit/finish is good all around. Other than that, I can’t recall any consistent issues to be aware of.
I ran the VIN of the RDX we are looking and was surprised there were no recalls listed. I am guessing thats a good sign, considering I've seen several on Autotrader that have an Open Recall indicator in their CarFax.

Originally Posted by 007Acura
Thank you - I will definitely inquire about a quote on a new one just to see what the numbers are like. The only thing that turns me off from New at this point is that my wife drives about 32K miles a year (once we stop working remotely due to covid). This is where longer warranty is nice. Plus, with her miles, the car will be going through the depreciation curve much faster.

Originally Posted by dblwishbone
Being over 6 feet tall, I can't fit in any of the Audi cars. The RDX interior overall feels much roomier compared to the Q5.

Though Acura has come a long way, I still feel that the German brands have superior infotainment systems and better grasp of luxury details. Granted, the latter is usually a list of expensive optional extras a mile long. I have the RDX advance package and every gadget you expect or could want is included.

If you intend to buy, the Acura's longevity and resale value is hard to beat. You can only lease European luxury cars; by the time you pay one off it is basically worthless, plus the servicing is exorbitantly expensive. In some states, Audi will offer you the option of buying "lease protection", whereby you can exit the lease within 30 days if you are dissatisfied (if only BMW offered that...).

With Acura, I would probably advise you to insist that the dealer give you an actual spare tire set, and make sure that they do all the infotainment software updates before you leave. Some of them require the tech to hard-reset the system by pulling the audio system fuse for 10 minutes.
I hear you on the "luxury details" and the infotainment system. Everytime I use the infotainment in the A4, I know it's not gonna let me down and simply works. The interior finishes are amazing in my A4 and i also love how every panel inside and out just lines up perfectly everywhere. But I will say that I thought the RDX was very very nice inside and competes well on the luxury side, although I don't understand why the A Spec package doesn't come with rain sensing wipers. Great recommendation on the software updates - thank you. I've read the earlier versions very rather glitchy. What's the latest version that the infotainment should be on now?
Old 07-20-2020, 09:08 PM
Suzuka Master

After all the latest updates and TSBs, I am satisfied with Infotainment. Its not top of the line, but I think its pretty decent for my needs.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:32 AM
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
My last three cars were V6, so I was a little worrying about 4 cylinder engine. They often vibrate al low revolutions and have to get to higher rev for required torque, not to mention lower engine longevity. I was wrong on all accounts - engine doesn't vibrate at all while full torque appears at 1600rpm. Engine longevity is not an issue either, since 10 speed transmission keeps it all the time around (often below) 2000 rpm. Six cylinder honda engine has to get above 4500rpm for max torque. I don't have any issues, other than car not recognizing USB drive from time to time (not playing music). SH-AWD is cool and works fantastic in deep snow or deep sand. I really like touchpad and pushbutton transmission - it is the future. I don't see anything more intuitive in traditional lever that you have to move backwards to go forward and forward to go reverse. Touch pad is a perfect solution and it is intuitive. Perhaps touch display would be faster, but for that display has to be closer, resulting in driver looking away from the road. I also like adjustable headrest and flat floor in the second row, both very rare. Blind zone sensors are positioned inside. I can see them in the corner of my eye without turning head. I admire steering agility. My first impression was that it turns instantly, while other cars I had, do this a small fraction of a second later. It also keeps straight on the highway without need for small corrections - even without lane assist. It is my first "luxury" vehicle, so I cannot really compare to others, but my last three vehicles were not too bad (Two Toyota Avalons and Honda Accord V6). I hope it helps.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:08 PM
Instructor

The latest TTI system version is D1.2.2; you should be able to check it under the Settings->System->About menu.

All versions before D1.2.1 lacked AndroidAuto support and had USB bugs serious enough to render CarPlay unusable. Granted, both CarPlay and AndroidAuto are a bit of a let-down because they want you to do most things through voice command for safety reasons. They are also very oriented around a touch screen, which the Japanese luxury auto makers in general also avoid due to safety.

I too was used to a V6 throttle response, and I definitely agree the engine is more impressive than I expected (that's VTEC for you).

Last edited by dblwishbone; 07-21-2020 at 01:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vkamnyev (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:48 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

I too was used to a V6 throttle response, and I definitely agree the engine is more impressive than I expected (that's VTEC for you).
I'm probably a little less enamored with this engine than most. I honestly didn't want a four this time, but I trusted Honda and liked the output and general owner reaction. I certainly am not displeased; it moves two tons very capably. But I do notice the lag and surging and it's often not seamless to me. Plus, mileage is nothing to write home about. This will [almost] definitely be my last four, if I get another straight ICE vehicle. YMMV; Accurate at time of printing.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:53 PM
Instructor

Maybe there will be a (ridiculous) Type-S version with the new TLX V6 eventually.
vkamnyev (07-21-2020)
Old 07-23-2020, 01:43 PM
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback everyone- truly great info. Wife and I had an appointment to look at a CPO A Spec last Saturday but the car wasn’t ready yet... almost a week has gone by and the car is still at the “Prep Center” and therefore hasn’t made its way out for pictures. It’s a 2019 with about 10K miles on the clock. The certification report has been issued a week ago. Something seems sketchy about this “prep center”... had to reschedule for this upcoming Saturday.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
Thanks for the feedback everyone- truly great info. Wife and I had an appointment to look at a CPO A Spec last Saturday but the car wasn’t ready yet... almost a week has gone by and the car is still at the “Prep Center” and therefore hasn’t made its way out for pictures. It’s a 2019 with about 10K miles on the clock. The certification report has been issued a week ago. Something seems sketchy about this “prep center”... had to reschedule for this upcoming Saturday.
new 2020 will cost you maybe 5k more, they are deeply discounted. Used car sales are their biggest profit
Old 07-23-2020, 02:02 PM
Advanced

new 2020 will cost you maybe 5k more, they are deeply discounted. Used car sales are their biggest profit
100%. Based on the trade in info online, they gave someone around 32-33K for that A spec and turning around to sell it for 40.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Drifting

I could never get past wondering why someone would get rid of a new car if there weren't severe problems with it.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:15 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

I could never get past wondering why someone would get rid of a new car if there weren't severe problems with it.
It's normal to wonder. I'd like to know the breakdown of reasons for quick trade-ins.

Mechanical problems
Family problems
Life changes
Can't afford
Money is spent without concern
Simple buyer remorse
???

Old 07-23-2020, 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DJA123
It's normal to wonder. I'd like to know the breakdown of reasons for quick trade-ins.

Mechanical problems
Family problems
Life changes
Can't afford
Money is spent without concern
Simple buyer remorse
???
with RDX we had number of people on this forum that got fed up with mechanical issues, brake noise, limp mode, suspension squeak, so they sold it after a year.
I’d be very cautious buying used 2019, it could be one of the lemon cars that had tons of issues and somebody just said enough is enough.

Old 07-23-2020, 02:21 PM
Advanced

the sales person said that the folks that traded it in got the same car but a 2020 due to the better financing options that actually lowered their monthly payment (apparently they even took their WeatherTech floor mats with them). While I don’t know who would just decide to lose all that equity they were building just to save on a monthly payment, I suppose some people shop that way. 2 things could be happening here - the sales person is straight up feeding me a bunch of BS and something is wrong with the car, or they are stating the truth and it’s just taking them awhile to “detail” the car, because you know, Covid?(just trying to give them benefit of a doubt)
Old 07-23-2020, 02:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Lol, Car salesman is telling the truth, thats new.
If you assume that they always lie, you will be much better off.
Old 07-23-2020, 02:30 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

with RDX we had number of people on this forum that got fed up with mechanical issues, brake noise, limp mode, suspension squeak, so they sold it after a year.
I’d be very cautious buying used 2019, it could be one of the lemon cars that had tons of issues and somebody just said enough is enough.
Honestly, this was the exact scenario I considered when agreeing with the suggestion to look at cost for a 2020.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DJA123
Honestly, this was the exact scenario I considered when agreeing with the suggestion to look at cost for a 2020.

when I bought my car, I told them I want new car, period. But they kept asking at least 2 times “if I want to consider used 2019”, until I got angry and told them to stop asking me the same question over again. This show you that their real profits are in used cars, they are less excited to sell a new car because its less profit.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:20 PM
Advanced

So I’m totally going to explore the New option further. A quick call to another dealership that has what we are looking for and after 5 minutes we could already qualify for 2 rebates or 3K off msrp. I know the wife didn’t want to spend more than 40, but I’m growing more and more skeptical of the CPO we are going to look at... the time it’s spending at the “prep-center” and seeing things like this on Autocheck report.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I got the CPO 2019 Aspec with 10k miles for $35k and it has a better warranty than brand new car. OF course I checked the service records before I got it and it already had all TBS done and car looks like new. Dealer also included all weather floor mats
Old 07-24-2020, 11:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by scyzoryk_nyc
I got the CPO 2019 Aspec with 10k miles for $35k and it has a better warranty than brand new car. OF course I checked the service records before I got it and it already had all TBS done and car looks like new. Dealer also included all weather floor mats
you can get new aspec sh-awd 2020 now for almost 40k. If you think that it was worth saving 5k, than you made a right choice
Old 07-24-2020, 12:13 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't qualify for most incentives and nobody here in NYC wanted to go anywhere near 40k for apex blue awd aspec..saving 5k and getting longer warranty was a no brainer in my book. Some people have to have brand new car I dont...I spend that saved up $5k on some stocks and already made nice profit
you can get new aspec sh-awd 2020 now for almost 40k. If you think that it was worth saving 5k, than you made a right choice
Old 07-25-2020, 09:45 PM
Advanced

She’s home!

After much contemplation, the wife and I decided to take the plunge to the New instead of the CPO. The new RDX A specs are flying off the lots here in Columbus OH and 2 we had our eye on got sold before we got there (less than 24 hours). We are fortunate to have 2 high volume Acura dealers here within 25 minutes of each other, so we drove over to another and they had a 2020 Performance Red sh-awd with Black interior(the dealer that had that CPO we originally were set on buying). So we pulled the trigger and the wifey is ecstatic! Thanks for all the feedback that was shared and helped us form our decision! Looking forward to being part of this forum.
We also bought the roof rails and racks and have to take the car back to get them installed next week.

The following 4 users liked this post by vkamnyev:
GW208 (07-25-2020), JB in AZ (07-26-2020), Pens Fan (07-27-2020), russianDude (07-26-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by vkamnyev
After much contemplation, the wife and I decided to take the plunge to the New instead of the CPO. The new RDX A specs are flying off the lots here in Columbus OH and 2 we had our eye on got sold before we got there (less than 24 hours). We are fortunate to have 2 high volume Acura dealers here within 25 minutes of each other, so we drove over to another and they had a 2020 Performance Red sh-awd with Black interior(the dealer that had that CPO we originally were set on buying). So we pulled the trigger and the wifey is ecstatic! Thanks for all the feedback that was shared and helped us form our decision! Looking forward to being part of this forum.
We also bought the roof rails and racks and have to take the car back to get them installed next week.
A beauty. Many safe and happy miles.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:45 PM
Instructor

Pretty; congratulations. I almost wish that color scheme was available in the Advance.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:41 PM
Drifting

Take the time to read the manual.

There is a lot going on in this car.
DJA123 (07-27-2020)
Old 07-26-2020, 08:56 PM
Instructor

The one thing I keep having to look up is how to put the windshield wipers in maintenance position:1. Set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF.
2. While holding the wiper switch in the MIST position, set the power mode to ON, then to VEHICLE OFF.
The hands free tailgate can also be a problem when loading big things in the back; many times I've had it close on me. You have to either disable it or leave your key fob in the cargo area to prevent it from closing.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:05 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
The one thing I keep having to look up is how to put the windshield wipers in maintenance position:1. Set the power mode to VEHICLE OFF.
2. While holding the wiper switch in the MIST position, set the power mode to ON, then to VEHICLE OFF.
The hands free tailgate can also be a problem when loading big things in the back; many times I've had it close on me. You have to either disable it or leave your key fob in the cargo area to prevent it from closing.
The windshield wiper maintenance position thing is the dumbest thing about this car. WHY IS IT DESIGNED this way?
I have absolutely NO problem with the hands free tailgate, and I use it multiple times a week, loading and unloading multiple items form the cargo area.

Thank you for posting the wiper maintenance mode instructions, dbl, but I have decided just to never use it. Very stupid, Acura! There must be an engineering reason, but it escapes my feeble mind.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 PM
Instructor

All the Bosch flat-blade style wiper systems are like that.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
All the Bosch flat-blade style wiper systems are like that.
I don't know what brand or style the blades are on our new '20 CR-V, but they don't have this maintenance mode. I just pulled them up so I could clean the windshield.

As I think about it. we did have a 2001 Toyota Solara (or was it the 2003 Highlander?) that the wipers partly "hid" just under the hood edge, like these, but all it took, IIRC was a gentle tug upwards, and they easily slipped into a "notch" position so you could pull them away from the glass. And, I could be remembering it all wrong. I just don't get the reasoning for designing them this way.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Welcome to the club. You chose the best looking trim
vkamnyev (07-27-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 10:46 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
The windshield wiper maintenance position thing is the dumbest thing about this car. WHY IS IT DESIGNED this way?
I keep thinking about a missed opportunity for automakers to build a deeper trust relationship with owners: An owner-only Q&A forum, moderated by an engineering contact. Owners would be able to post questions about functionality and design and get answers from the mouth of the horse. This would resolve some questions about design features that appear arbitrary, or stupid, to owners, but could have a sound basis in engineering. Which I think happens a lot.

Does any brand do this currently? If not, I'll wager, if anyone, the Koreans will be first to make this a thing.

Last edited by DJA123; 07-27-2020 at 10:49 AM.
JB in AZ (07-27-2020)

Quick Reply: Inches from pulling the trigger