If they bring those 2G TLX improvements to the MMC RDX...boy

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 03:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
If they bring those 2G TLX improvements to the MMC RDX...boy

Had my RDX in for an oil change this morning and was able to take a 35 min spin in two TLXs - one A-Spec, and one Platinum Elite (Advance for those of you in the US). The A-Spec drive was just for a few mins as the car was basically out of gas so they swapped me to the Platinum Elite right after.

First of all, I think Acura did a great job with the TLX, it's their best sedan since the 1G TSX/3G TL by a mile - I have a 2007 TSX and this TLX is the first sedan since that I would consider getting from Acura. It's not perfect (too big for one thing) but I think they will sell a lot of them (relative to the shrinking sedan market).

Second, there are a number of improvements I noticed in the TLX that I sure hope make its way to the RDX (maybe for the refresh)

- FIRM BRAKE PEDAL! FIRM BRAKE PEDAL! Oh man, if the RDX had this pedal I'd have so little to complain about. The mushy RDX pedal is my number one reason I can't truly love the RDX while the TLX has a short, firm pedal that works with progressive pressure. The TLX uses the NSX's system so fingers crossed this can be transplanted to the RDX.
- Sport mode is a real mode. The TLX comes with Comfort, Normal, and Sport and Sport is quite usable in the city and it's what I'd use - it's sharper than on the RDX but not as rowdy as Sport+. Normal and Comfort were quite distinct from Sport as well. Steering weight increases appropriately across all 3 drive modes on the TLX as well though I found Comfort to be a pretty lazy mode.
- Transmission tuning. I was caught out less often in the TLX than I would be in the RDX. Less hesitation especially in Sport mode and despite weighing about the same as the RDX the car felt faster while rolling (most tests should them being about the same).
- Suspension tuning. The TLX rides more gently than the RDX - maybe it's the lighter wheels or the double wishbone suspension but it's less stiff than the RDX (I find the A-Spec with it's heavy wheels clops over small bumps too much).
- Improved seats. I thought the seats were the same as the RDX but they seem to have made some very small improvements which I noticed - the side bolsters hugged more tightly which I liked.

There's probably a few other things to note but it was a short drive. I hope Acura is thinking about these changes for the MMC as it would really dial up the RDX to being a real class leader.

Anyone else driven the new TLX and have thoughts on what should come over from the TLX?
Old 10-16-2020, 05:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I agree with the brake pedal feel. I'll admit going in I thought it was just a bunch of marketing speak, but the electroservo brakes are really as good as advertised.
Old 10-17-2020, 01:31 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
The TLX priced jumped and cost as much as an RDX and both with 2.0t SW-AWD.

Which one do you choose?
Old 10-17-2020, 08:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludepower
The TLX priced jumped and cost as much as an RDX and both with 2.0t SW-AWD.

Which one do you choose?
If you don't need a big trunk or want to ride high up the TLX is the easy winner - it's more luxurious and it drives great (the tires are shit as reported by many). If the 4G RDX gets all these improvements (and more) I'd expect Acura to move pricing even higher up.

For myself, I'd prefer something smaller though - while the TLX didn't feel big while I was driving it (sightlines are quite good) I prefer my cars as small as needed (eg. TSX over TL) so I'm looking forward to the next ILX with the same powertrain. Americans, with their big roads and big houses should have little trouble dealing with the TLX's size relative to its competition.
Old 10-17-2020, 09:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
I agree about the transmission and suspension tuning. The transmission mapping in Sport+ can be more relaxed - D can target 2k minimum rpm, and S can take over the current D setting (2.5-3kinimum rpm). Even if Acura does not re-tune the modes, having the individual mode would be useful. Suspension I am not sure it is entirely the damper. Maybe the bushing also needs finer tuning to cut the high frequency vibration that easily pass through the stiff chassis. There is probably zero chance of switching to brake-by-wire, unless MMC comes with a surprise - hybrid variant.

AcuraWatch will be updated to the latest spec, infotainment I don't think the MMC will bring the new-gen MDX system. So probably a no to digital dash.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:38 PM
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 89 Posts
The MMC has been spied testing with the MDX type-s, so the refreshed RDX might be revealed after the MDX goes on sale in early 2021.