Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6 years before powertrain warranty expires
Old 11-01-2020, 06:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
It seems that people keep new cars shorter time than they used to. If I remember correctly on average it's 5 years with under 100K miles. All comes down to priorities in life and how much money you have.
Old 11-01-2020, 02:26 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
At least 10 years.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:57 PM
Racer

Received 470 Likes on 225 Posts
I just had this discussion with the wife. As I told her: "I have no idea how long I will keep this car but I guess I will keep it until something comes along that I like better". I kept one car, my 2001 NissanXterra, for eleven (very trouble free) years. Spent less than $100 total on repairs for all those years. But, after the first few years it didn't really get driven a lot, it was more of a "second car" as we run around in our Honda Fit most of the time (just local driving). Mostly I keep my cars around five years, sometimes less if something really great comes out or I perceive there might be a looming problem with the vehicle. . Like I traded in my fine '17 CR-V for my 2019 Advanced. When the next generation RDX comes out I will give it a serious look. I have considered an MDX but they seem bigger than what we want.
I don't buy extended warranties. If a car is so poorly designed or constructed it requires one...I will look elsewhere.
FYI: Our 1999 Accord Honda is still being passed through the family. Its well over 225,000 miles on it now and its still running on original power train.
The following 2 users liked this post by hans471:
JB in AZ (11-02-2020), Ludepower (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 09:32 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
My average has been 10 to 14 years and expect the RDX will be the same, assuming there is no reason to have to get rid of it. The only car in the last 30 years that gave me a reason to dispose quickly of it was a Dodge Intrepid. After about 2 or 3 years, it felt in every way that it was about 25 years old. A real piece of junk (that was Motor Trends car of the year as I recall)
Old 11-04-2020, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
I plan to keep our RDX at least 10 years and probably give it to our son or daughter once they get older. Our Honda Accord is 7+ years old now purchased brand new. Prior we kept our Civic coupe for 15 years. I babied all my vehicles and doing more than routine maintenance. It will last us for a long time.

In 3 years we plan to upgrade to the MDX. If you haven’t noticed we kept upgrading to a bigger vehicle (civic, Accord, RDX..).
Old 11-05-2020, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Three years. I have a 3 year lease on a 2019 Tech which expires in December 2021. One of my options is purchasing at the end of the lease, but the residual purchase price is so high it wouldn't make much sense. I do have some issues with my current RDX. Infotainment system: real time traffic takes a long time to come up and is often inaccurate. Nav scale defaults back to 500 ft instead of the point where I shut the car off. I have to adjust every time I start up. Heat and heated seats take longer to warm up than previous cars I've owned including an older RDX. Would like digital speedometer. So.....My options are purchasing (no), considering a 2022 RDX if they made improvements over the 2019 for the issues I mentioned, or consider a different vehicle from another manufacturer. Time will tell.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:38 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
I too have 3 year lease on a 2019 Aspec that expires 9/2021. Have 13k miles on it and can sell in NOW for more than I owe on the lease by about 5k. I might just trade it in now for a new 2021 lease although I might sell it before then but perhaps the dealer will give me a really sweet deal on another lease.

Last edited by tecwerks; 11-12-2020 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by tecwerks
I too have 3 year lease on a 2019 Aspec that expires 9/2021. Have 13k miles on it and can sell in NOW for more than I owe on the lease by about 5k. I might just trade it in now for a new 2021 lease although I might sell it before then but perhaps the dealer will give me a really sweet deal on another lease.
I checked the KBB for private party value and it's about $3K more than my payoff amount. I'll try to wait for the 2022's to see if there's any substantial mid model improvements. I doubt any Acura dealers around here will be offering sweet deals on the RDX but I wish you luck.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by beancount1
I checked the KBB for private party value and it's about $3K more than my payoff amount. I'll try to wait for the 2022's to see if there's any substantial mid model improvements. I doubt any Acura dealers around here will be offering sweet deals on the RDX but I wish you luck.
I should have mentioned in my previous post that I am seriously thinking of leasing a Macan S. I am 70 now, retired and don't want to be one of those "older" people that buys a fast sporty vehicle that barely goes the speed limit and sits at the light when it changes green for 5 seconds.....:-)
The following 2 users liked this post by tecwerks:
boyce89976 (11-12-2020), RENARELLO (11-24-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 10:46 AM
Instructor

I should have mentioned in my previous post that I am seriously thinking of leasing a Macan S. I am 70 now, retired and don't want to be one of those "older" people that buys a fast sporty vehicle that barely goes the speed limit and sits at the light when it changes green for 5 seconds.....:-)
Welcome to the septuagenarian club. As a Porsche lover I looked at the Macan before leasing the RDX, but couldn't justify the nearly double price difference (including packages I would have wanted). But I certainly get it. I ride a harley to satisfy my wild side.
The following users liked this post:
RENARELLO (11-24-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
I know nothing about the Macan S, but going strictly on "looks" from their website, that thing is hideous. And not just the weird aqua color that they chose to show on the website as default for some reason, but the exterior styling. It looks like a "bubble" car. I'm sure it outperforms the RDX (which, if it starts at a base price of over $60,000, it better), but it still looks ugly.
Old 11-12-2020, 01:17 PM
Pro

My wild side wants more power....LOL
Old 11-12-2020, 01:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
My wild side wants more power....LOL
more power to you
JB in AZ (11-12-2020)
Old 11-12-2020, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
more power to you
Wouldn't it nice if that was all it took?
Old 11-12-2020, 09:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I'm hoping to keep our two (a '19 Advance CPO and a 20 A-spec CPO) until both my kids get through college which will be 7 years or so. We own the '19 Advance, and I financed about $11k on the '20 A-spec.

Last edited by boyce89976; 11-12-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-13-2020, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Hopefully, as long as I kept my TL, 15 years. TL never game me any serious problems. Hopefully, this one doesn't. If it does it will be gone sooner.
Old 11-14-2020, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I normally keep my cars 2 years, maybe 2.5 max. Going on 2.5 with my 2019 RDX and came out of a 2017 RDX. Bought a boat and need to tow it so just began shopping. I prefer my RDX to everything I’ve driven so far. Really struggling to find something I like as much. I love this car and would keep it for years to come if it towed enough. Thinking I may need to wait for 2022 MDX...
Jfkmk (11-22-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
After 10 months I'm ready to move on. My RDX has been mechanically Flawless but I kind of made a mistake buying it. I simply need more room and I am not happy with the ride and road noise. It does everything else very well. As crazy as it sounds I have done a couple trips with my brother in his 2013 Equinox and it is just as quiet going down the road at 60 miles an hour as my RDX as verified by the decibel meter in my cell phone and it rides just as well also. Yes it doesn't have any power and it doesn't handle anything like my RDX nor does it have the interior or name brand satisfaction but it's aggravating. I have been trying to find somebody who will let me trade this in on a Telluride and they are so hot right now I can't even get people to call me back.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by DKraky
After 10 months I'm ready to move on. My RDX has been mechanically Flawless but I kind of made a mistake buying it. I simply need more room and I am not happy with the ride and road noise. It does everything else very well. As crazy as it sounds I have done a couple trips with my brother in his 2013 Equinox and it is just as quiet going down the road at 60 miles an hour as my RDX as verified by the decibel meter in my cell phone and it rides just as well also. Yes it doesn't have any power and it doesn't handle anything like my RDX nor does it have the interior or name brand satisfaction but it's aggravating. I have been trying to find somebody who will let me trade this in on a Telluride and they are so hot right now I can't even get people to call me back.
The Tellurides are going over MSRP in my area.... A friend couldn't even negotiate any basis point and had to wait months for inventory. He went to BMW and got himself a X7 for invoice....
Old 11-18-2020, 01:25 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Hoping for at least a decade. It gets driven less than 10,000 miles a year so it should still be in great condition then.
Old 11-18-2020, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
If my Tesla stock keeps going up like this, I will take my ‘free’ Tesla sooner rather than later.
acuraada (11-21-2020)
Old 11-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Yes Madd... we discussed Tesla extensively on another thread. If you bought at that time, you are well ahead.

and yes, I am almost there to order a model Y. I stick to my motto, never buy the first model first year of any car.... Looks like waiting is the right choice (except for the FSD...argh) The quality is improving, new features already added.... ontrack to mimic model 3's success.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:18 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
Yes Madd... we discussed Tesla extensively on another thread. If you bought at that time, you are well ahead.

and yes, I am almost there to order a model Y. I stick to my motto, never buy the first model first year of any car.... Looks like waiting is the right choice (except for the FSD...argh) The quality is improving, new features already added.... ontrack to mimic model 3's success.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. The next car is my wife’s car. She likes Accords. Nothing wrong with that. But I expect she will not like the Tesla as it is very techy and too unusual for her. And I am trapped in my own frugality, and won’t want to get rid of a perfectly good and modern car just because. Getting one for ‘free’ is arguably a different matter.
Old 11-22-2020, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I am in a bit of a dilemma. The next car is my wife’s car. She likes Accords. Nothing wrong with that. But I expect she will not like the Tesla as it is very techy and too unusual for her. And I am trapped in my own frugality, and won’t want to get rid of a perfectly good and modern car just because. Getting one for ‘free’ is arguably a different matter.
Not sure where you are but arranging a test drive with Tesla is as simple as shopping online. It has COVID prevention procedures and they don’t sit with you, just walk you through the operations and hand you the key card. No sales pitch or pressure to buy anything. I suggest taking your wife for a test drive.

I hear you about frugality. I normally keep my cars for a long time too. I justify it for safety, comfort and absolutely the best sound system in this class (Ppl don’t talk much about it but it’s freaking amazing)

did I mention the side mirrors folds too?

Old 11-22-2020, 11:41 AM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
I looked very seriously at the Macan S prior to purchasing my RDX. The Macan is a great little car and a blast to drive. The only problem for me was the closest Porsche dealer is an hour away.

I hung out in Macan forum for a while and became concerned about some of the maintenance schedules, which seemed to be on par with cars from the 1970s, and the cost of the maintenance. I can easily afford it, but I don’t want to throw money away.
Old 11-30-2020, 01:42 PM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I normally keep my cars 2 years, maybe 2.5 max. Going on 2.5 with my 2019 RDX and came out of a 2017 RDX. Bought a boat and need to tow it so just began shopping. I prefer my RDX to everything I’ve driven so far. Really struggling to find something I like as much. I love this car and would keep it for years to come if it towed enough. Thinking I may need to wait for 2022 MDX...
I have a 2013 RDX and been towing my boat with it since i bought it back in 2013. No mods, just a stock vehicle. My tow load is just over 2000lbs and never had any trouble with towing. My RDX has never seen any repairs, just regular maintenance items like brake pads, fluids, new battery, tires etc..
Old 12-01-2020, 10:47 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
I normally keep my cars 10-12 years, so the wife’s 2014 Accord would normally be the next to go.

However, a lot of little things bug me about the RDX, as much as I like how the car drives and the quality of the music it plays. So, if electric is where I hope it will be in two or three years, I might get rid of the RDX for a Tesla and keep the Accord running. It is still running great, we put few miles on it , my wife is comfortable driving it, so we might choose not to replace it.

What got on my list yesterday? Why do I have to set up the infotainment every time I drive? Why can’t it retain the last setting: Nav scaled to 1/4 mile, clock on the right. Instead, it always scales to 500 fet, and the right screen tells me no music is playing. How hard could it have been to retain the last setting?

Too, why is the steering wheel setting manual and not electric? If it were electric, the setting could be retained in the driver profile, and the steering wheel would adjust as well. I had these things in the BMW I bought in 2007, and Acura could have done it, but chose to save, what a few dozen dollars?

These irritations are certainly not enough to cause me to take a bath and get rid of the car, but it does not make me want to hold on to it either.
I agree about the clock, I wish it was there every time I use the car, and Acura where is my nice analog clock I had in my 2013 RDX. Also, manual steering wheel should not be available in any Acura, that's what luxury vehicles do.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:38 AM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk
I looked very seriously at the Macan S prior to purchasing my RDX. The Macan is a great little car and a blast to drive. The only problem for me was the closest Porsche dealer is an hour away.

I hung out in Macan forum for a while and became concerned about some of the maintenance schedules, which seemed to be on par with cars from the 1970s, and the cost of the maintenance. I can easily afford it, but I don’t want to throw money away.
Yeah, I considered a used Cayenne--which can be had for under $20k--just because I've always wanted to own a Porsche. I tried to justify it by thinking I'd saved enough money vs. a used car to cover the expenses. But then I watched some YouTube videos of people who tried it out, and you can easily spend $5-6k a year keeping an old Cayenne in top shape. Really only a good idea if you or a mechanic buddy can do the upkeep. One of these days maybe I'll lease a Macan or Cayman for a year just for thrills.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 403 Likes on 305 Posts
Originally Posted by Jfkmk

You are paying for having a blast via higher maintenance costs and cost of acquisition/depreciation. IMO, that's not throwing money away, but you have to make the call on whether it's worth it to you. I used to love driving, but now with health issues, the pleasure is no longer there. In some sense, I regret not buying more fun cars when I was younger and in good health.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:08 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
I want to keep mine for 205k miles. The Outback it replaced had 204k so I want to beat it.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:31 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I'm too excited about new and upcoming features/changes to keep any car much beyond the factory warranty. The RDX has the longest factory warranty (except for one VERY misguided Hyundai purchase) so I will likely keep this one for 4 years.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by beancount1
Welcome to the septuagenarian club. As a Porsche lover I looked at the Macan before leasing the RDX, but couldn't justify the nearly double price difference (including packages I would have wanted). But I certainly get it. I ride a harley to satisfy my wild side.
I'm 67 and also have a Harley Davidson Streetglide. I'm still a kid and hope to never grow up.
Vince D (12-02-2020)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:37 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by SG103
I'm 67 and also have a Harley Davidson Streetglide. I'm still a kid and hope to never grow up.

I'm looking at Harley three-wheelers for next Spring. I figure the more comfortable I can make my wife the more I can convince her that we absolutely NEED to upgrade to the CVO. Besides, she is known for making comments that men are perennial 16-year-olds and - I can't argue with that