Hope buying RDX isn’t a mistake

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 01:35 AM
Racer

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Temp is 30s-40. I reset the computer st the end of my driveway, as I wanted to record once warmed up, and I had idled for about 2 minutes as I unloaded some trash at the dumpster. After this, I drove and traveled my typical path to the gym. 30mi. Mostly backwoods highway at 55-65, and then interstate for 2mi at 75-80. Then city for 3mi or so at 45-50. I arrived at 24.5mpg. My cx5 turbo would have been about 5mpg more. I am not happy, but also not mad. My exs ford edge 4cyl turbo would have been at 21-23. The cx5 was exceptional, this rdx is average, regarding mpg.

As to mirrors tilting...the cameras cover your rear rims, even zooming in on them if you select, and tilting mirrors wont hit the front anyway. Total non issue.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:21 AM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by ShouldIBuyNew
Thank you rbbcpa. Even though I liked my 2020 Audi Q3 I wanted more cargo space, memory seats, and remote start. But on the ride home I noticed that I saw more out of the outside mirrors than on my audi which is really nice. And then when I was trying to decide where to put my sun glasses, I realized that the RDX had a sun glass holder which my audi didn’t have. I’m sure I will find more things that I like. Oh yeh, tire pressure shows as opposed to just blasting a loud beep when tire pressure is a lot less than recommended. All in all, I’m very happy! And I didn’t pay over invoice.
Whoops - I meant I didn’t pay over MSRP.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:22 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Unobtanium
you got good trade value AND paid under or at invoice? What is invoice on these, anyways?
My mistake. I meant I didn’t pay over MSRP.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:37 AM
Racer

My mistake. I meant I didn’t pay over MSRP.
I was about to say, man, I took a bath
I got $4K over MSRP for my tradein that I put 12K miles on, and paid sticker + $999 for an interior warranty (basically if the dog eats a seat, I get a new seat...there's value here.), A-Spec all weather mats, and mud-guards. All things I'd have wanted, anyways. I did take a bath on the warranty, and am still trying to see how I feel about that, because it's idenitcal to what I paid for my Toyota and Mazda products, so I don't feel too bad, but still.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:12 PM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts
you got good trade value AND paid under or at invoice? What is invoice on these, anyways?
It's not hard to get under invoice unless you're being shafted by the dealer and you know where to look. I was able to get my 2022 MDX under invoice easily ($4500 under MSRP), and this was back in October 2021, with more severe shortages than current market. I had to drive 2.5 hours away for that dealer. They also offered me 1.9% financing for 60 months with that deal. All it takes is a couple of days of good research and forum searching like this one for ideas.

This was also without trade. If I traded in my car to CarFax, I was offered less than $1000 difference than I paid 1.5 years ago with my 2020 Rav4 which I bought with 0% 60 months financing during the beginning of the pandemic.(I didn't trade it in at the time, wanted to keep a more fuel efficient SUV in case)

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-01-2022 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
Good to hear. I’m anxious to use the touchpad. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. Hopefully I will end up liking it!
I too had my doubts on the touchpad but discovered I like it much, much better than a touchscreen. It take a whole 10 minutes to get used to if you're a slower learner.
Along with it being safer and easier to use while driving, you'll no longer have to look at a filthy touchscreen. People are creatures of habit and a touchscreen is all they have known.
Old 03-05-2022, 05:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ColoRDX
I too had my doubts on the touchpad but discovered I like it much, much better than a touchscreen. It take a whole 10 minutes to get used to if you're a slower learner.
Along with it being safer and easier to use while driving, you'll no longer have to look at a filthy touchscreen. People are creatures of habit and a touchscreen is all they have known.
I was amazed that I liked the touchpad. I thought that it was going to be something that I would just have to deal with. After the sales guy showed me how to use it before I left the lot with my new RDX, I felt very comfortable using it.
Old 03-05-2022, 06:36 PM
Pro

I was amazed that I liked the touchpad. I thought that it was going to be something that I would just have to deal with. After the sales guy showed me how to use it before I left the lot with my new RDX, I felt very comfortable using it.
I thought I would like the touchpad, but after using it for several years, and knowing how bad it is to use with CarPlay or Android Auto (you have to change the way to use it like a normal laptop trackpad), a touchscreen is much better. Plenty of reviewers also prefer a touchscreen now. It's easier to get to things with a touchscreen than a touchpad. If you have to answer a call, you have to keep swiping, or changing to maps on CarPlay.

Like you guys, I thought it would be nice to use the touchpad, and actually thought it was great at first and better than touchscreen, but after using touchscreen on the Rav4 and the Mach E, I realized that touch screen is way easier to navigate. I didn't have complaints about it when I used it back in 2018 when I bought the RDX, but after a while, saw its limitations and annoyances.

It's a pretty annoying thing to have to switch the style when you're using CarPlay.

It's kind of weird because Acura copied Lexus, in the touchpad regard, but people complained about Lexus's touchpad and switched over to touchscreens in the new generation. Acura kind of went backwards in that aspect.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-05-2022 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ESHBG (03-06-2022)
Old 03-05-2022, 06:58 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by mathnerd88
I thought I would like the touchpad, but after using it for several years, and knowing how bad it is to use with CarPlay or Android Auto (you have to change the way to use it like a normal laptop trackpad), a touchscreen is much better. Plenty of reviewers also prefer a touchscreen now. It's easier to get to things with a touchscreen than a touchpad. If you have to answer a call, you have to keep swiping, or changing to maps on CarPlay.

Like you guys, I thought it would be nice to use the touchpad, and actually thought it was great at first and better than touchscreen, but after using touchscreen on the Rav4 and the Mach E, I realized that touch screen is way easier to navigate. I didn't have complaints about it when I used it back in 2018 when I bought the RDX, but after a while, saw its limitations and annoyances.

It's a pretty annoying thing to have to switch the style when you're using CarPlay.

It's kind of weird because Acura copied Lexus, in the touchpad regard, but people complained about Lexus's touchpad and switched over to touchscreens in the new generation. Acura kind of went backwards in that aspect.
I can understand your need if you feel you have to be attached to a cell phone all the time.
From what I understand the Acura touchpad is light years ahead of what Lexus has. There must be some support for touchscreens being a safety issue in vehicles with both Mazda and Acura doing away with them. Toyota/Lexus for the most part seem to lag behind the industry in their infotainment technology.
Old 03-05-2022, 07:23 PM
Pro

I can understand your need if you feel you have to be attached to a cell phone all the time.
From what I understand the Acura touchpad is light years ahead of what Lexus has. There must be some support for touchscreens being a safety issue in vehicles with both Mazda and Acura doing away with them. Toyota/Lexus for the most part seem to lag behind the industry in their infotainment technology.
I dunno, because almost all cars are going away from touchpads and moving towards touchscreens.

Tesla, Mustang Mach E, BMWs, etc. If anything, I find the touchpad more distracting as you need to look at the screen and use your hand to scroll and get to the right icon.

With touchscreen you just look at the icon and touch what you want. Using a touchpad is a little more time consuming and those milliseconds do count when it comes to driving.

While Acura’s touchpad is slightly better than Lexus, most people use android auto and apple CarPlay in their cars, which makes it act exactly like a Lexus touchpad so your point is kind of negated. There’s no one touch pinpoint feature that is used in that case. Even on Google maps it is very difficult to rotate or navigate around the map if you’re looking for certain things ahead of you.

I’ve had to use the Acura’s touchpad in two different cars, the MDX and RDX and in my experience, the touchpad is definitely worse and is less intuitive than the other vehicles I’ve had.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-05-2022 at 07:29 PM.
ESHBG (03-06-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:51 AM
Racer

I dunno, because almost all cars are going away from touchpads and moving towards touchscreens.

Tesla, Mustang Mach E, BMWs, etc. If anything, I find the touchpad more distracting as you need to look at the screen and use your hand to scroll and get to the right icon.

With touchscreen you just look at the icon and touch what you want. Using a touchpad is a little more time consuming and those milliseconds do count when it comes to driving.

While Acura’s touchpad is slightly better than Lexus, most people use android auto and apple CarPlay in their cars, which makes it act exactly like a Lexus touchpad so your point is kind of negated. There’s no one touch pinpoint feature that is used in that case. Even on Google maps it is very difficult to rotate or navigate around the map if you’re looking for certain things ahead of you.

I’ve had to use the Acura’s touchpad in two different cars, the MDX and RDX and in my experience, the touchpad is definitely worse and is less intuitive than the other vehicles I’ve had.
Touchscreens are what people know and what they're used. Mazda's research proved the touchscreen was a serious distraction to the driver and dumped it. I'd imagine Acura had similar findings when they redesigned the RDX. I don't live with a cell phone attached to my person so I can't comprehend the phone in the car thing.
Old 03-06-2022, 01:22 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
I assume the idea was the higher mounted screen helps to keep your eyes on the road vs touchscreens which are lower because they have to be in reach?

At any rate I don’t find myself using the touchpad much as the steering wheel or voice control so pretty much everything I need. My wife’s QX60 is a touchscreen and is barely used.

Depends on how you use it. My wife just has it set to her favorite FM station and that’s it. She doesn’t use Nav or anything else requiring the touchscreen.

In my 2022 RDX my phone connects to CarPlay automatically and has my usual route already selected for me. I hit ok and go. I tell Siri what playlist or Apple Music station I want to listen to. Not much interaction with the touchpad. I don’t even use the Acura interface. It’s CarPlay 99% of the time.

So for me, the infotainment isn’t that high on the list.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:52 PM
Pro

Touchscreens are what people know and what they're used. Mazda's research proved the touchscreen was a serious distraction to the driver and dumped it. I'd imagine Acura had similar findings when they redesigned the RDX. I don't live with a cell phone attached to my person so I can't comprehend the phone in the car thing.
Haha if it was true, then NHSTA would’ve not allowed it. It’s not the about the touchscreen vs no touchscreen. It’s really about how intuitive the system is and when implemented correctly, touchscreen or not, will not cause much difference.

You can make a crappy nontouch infotainment system to be distracting as well. I believe Mazda’s research is pretty limited as it is really impossible to tell and there are so many confounding factors. There are so many factors to make an infotainment system.

In reality, for me, it’s easier to use touchscreen to get what I want than a touchpad. I’ve noticed that I was distracted more in a touchpad than a touchscreen. This may be person dependent. The most frustrating part with the Acura is the way the touchpad works when you are using Apple CarPlay.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-06-2022 at 02:54 PM.
ESHBG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:03 PM
Pro

For me, it is much easier to use a touchscreen in this case as the screen is placed more forward. I can access all the controls pretty quickly.
ESHBG (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 05:17 PM
Racer

Haha if it was true, then NHSTA would’ve not allowed it. It’s not the about the touchscreen vs no touchscreen. It’s really about how intuitive the system is and when implemented correctly, touchscreen or not, will not cause much difference.

You can make a crappy nontouch infotainment system to be distracting as well. I believe Mazda’s research is pretty limited as it is really impossible to tell and there are so many confounding factors. There are so many factors to make an infotainment system.

In reality, for me, it’s easier to use touchscreen to get what I want than a touchpad. I’ve noticed that I was distracted more in a touchpad than a touchscreen. This may be person dependent. The most frustrating part with the Acura is the way the touchpad works when you are using Apple CarPlay.
Perhaps you know better than the manufacturers studies.
If touchpads were the standard, you probably would not accept the touchscreen if it was introduced to you. Humans........creatures of habit.
I'm an old guy who is rather new to both touchpads and touchscreens and I just find Acura's True Touch Pad to be more sophisticated than pressing on a screen.
You're a youngster in your 30's and most likely have been using a touchscreen since high school. You're locked in and that is all you know and like.
In regards to your apple phone issue. I plead ignorant. I don't use a cell phone in my vehicle except for urgent or emergency out going calls.
Have you owned an Acura with True Touch Pad or have you just tried it for a bit and determined you didn't like it?

Do you or have you owned an RDX with the True Touchpad Interface or did you just try it for a bit and decided you didn't like it?
You're a youngster in your 30's.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:10 PM
Pro

Perhaps you know better than the manufacturers studies.
If touchpads were the standard, you probably would not accept the touchscreen if it was introduced to you. Humans........creatures of habit.
I'm an old guy who is rather new to both touchpads and touchscreens and I just find Acura's True Touch Pad to be more sophisticated than pressing on a screen.
You're a youngster in your 30's and most likely have been using a touchscreen since high school. You're locked in and that is all you know and like.
In regards to your apple phone issue. I plead ignorant. I don't use a cell phone in my vehicle except for urgent or emergency out going calls.
Have you owned an Acura with True Touch Pad or have you just tried it for a bit and determined you didn't like it?

Do you or have you owned an RDX with the True Touchpad Interface or did you just try it for a bit and decided you didn't like it?
You're a youngster in your 30's.
Did you see my signature? I've owned a 2019 Acura RDX for over 3 years before I traded in for a Mach E GT yesterday, and I also currently own a 2022 Acura MDX Advance since Oct 2021. I've been using the True Touchpad Interface longer than you've been using it and I've been using it since Acura introduced it back in 2018 on the 2019 Acura RDX. This means I've been using the True Touchpad interface for nearly 3.5 years.

The True Touchpad interface is not new to me. I've used it even through the Acura infotainment lawsuits. In my experience of using it on TWO different Acura products, it's not as good as touchscreen. Unlike you, I have to constantly use my phone while driving to switch around songs or my playlists on Spotify because of that crappy touchpad interface using Apple CarPlay which distracts me more on the road than actually using my phone. In my case, as well as my gf who uses the car also, all complain how terrible the touchpad is. She prefers the Toyota Rav4 touchscreen interface better, and I definitely find the Mach E touchscreen superior to RDX/MDX True Touchpad Interface. It's easy to switch between Google Maps and Spotify using a touchscreen that way. You can't do it quickly with the RDX and it is more distracting to do so.

As for your comments about 30's or younger people used to touchscreen phones, that's not true. I've had my dinosaur cell phone since the nokia days in the late 90s where we used T9 keyboard for messaging. In fact, I gladly accepted the touchscreen over the T9 keyboard I used for 8 years before getting a touchscreen smartphone. You either get stuck in the past or move forward. There's a reason why people continue to use touchscreens and how in general, technology is moving forward to touchscreens. People in their 30's did use 'dumbphones' for a long time before they started using smartphones.

Hell, even the new Honda's use touchscreen. Funny how the touchpad is only on Acuras. Just about every other luxury automaker has a touchscreen interface. Acura is the only one that I can think of who doesn't have a touchscreen. (Except for Lexus, but they're now moving towards touchscreen.)

You can always find research to support your claim. There are TONS of junk data out there. Hell, you can find research that ivermectin works against COVID if you really wanted to search. Mazda might have some incentive not to use touchscreens (it may be more expensive to implement.) You have to see where the money goes. I generally would trust government research as they seem to have less bias than manufacturer research. If NHSTA published a paper on this, then I would tend to agree with you.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-06-2022 at 07:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mathnerd88:
ELIN (03-06-2022), pilozm (03-08-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 07:40 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
. Acura is the only one that I can think of who doesn't have a touchscreen. (Except for Lexus, but they're now moving towards touchscreen.)
Lexus is moving back to touchscreen. I had no problem using the controller in my old 2013 ES350, but there were a ton of complaints from old Lexus owners. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, as they say. I loved how the screen was set back far enough to never have any sun glare issue. It was way too far back to be used as a touch screen. I guess people whined enough and now it's coming back, along with the glare and finger smudges.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:01 PM
Racer

For me, it is much easier to use a touchscreen in this case as the screen is placed more forward. I can access all the controls pretty quickly.
I am glad you like this. It reminds me of my rav4 prime. $20k interior in a $50k car. Then again, my old activities director was horned up big for screens. Even his refrigerator has a TV. Some people will overlook a lot to get screens.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:45 PM
Pro

I am glad you like this. It reminds me of my rav4 prime. $20k interior in a $50k car. Then again, my old activities director was horned up big for screens. Even his refrigerator has a TV. Some people will overlook a lot to get screens.
Most of the cost was built into the battery. A luxury EV? Look at the EQS, which costs over $100k.

Look at Tesla. The interior is even cheaper looking and costs more than the Mach E. Different strokes for different folks.

Either way, the Mach E serves a different purpose than the RDX. I wanted an EV with tons of power (480hp and 600 pound feet of torque) compared to RDX's 270ish hp with 280 pound feet of torque. The Mach E GT's purpose was not to have a luxury-esque interior, but a minimalistic interior with tons of power similar to the Tesla Performance Models. If you even look at Corvettes, Porsches, etc, they're all similar. In terms of the feature set, the Mach E has much more than what the RDX offers, and does have a lot more 'smart features.' If I decided that I wanted a more busy looking interior but lose out on quite a bit of features, I would just drive my MDX around town.

To me, having an RDX and MDX was quite redundant, and I decided to get rid of the more problematic and less feature rich car of the two. At least the MDX does have a digital cockpit not available on the RDX.

Many people, me included, love a more minimalistic interior than one with too many buttons and chrome with piano black plastic. I barely drive the MDX now as it just sits on my garage collecting dust. I've only put 800 miles on it since October. With the gas prices going up, it'll have even less usage.

Also, the Mach E is quite a head turner, especially with its sequential turn signals. I see an RDX on the road everywhere and nobody bats an eye toward them. The Mach E GT gets tons of onlookers and I've got people coming up to me asking about the vehicle.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-06-2022 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 08:49 PM
Racer

Just like a mattress, the purchaser can legally remove that tag.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:17 PM
Racer

Most of the cost was built into the battery. A luxury EV? Look at the EQS, which costs over $100k.

Look at Tesla. The interior is even cheaper looking and costs more than the Mach E. Different strokes for different folks.

Either way, the Mach E serves a different purpose than the RDX. I wanted an EV with tons of power (480hp and 600 pound feet of torque) compared to RDX's 270ish hp with 280 pound feet of torque. The Mach E GT's purpose was not to have a luxury-esque interior, but a minimalistic interior with tons of power similar to the Tesla Performance Models. If you even look at Corvettes, Porsches, etc, they're all similar. In terms of the feature set, the Mach E has much more than what the RDX offers, and does have a lot more 'smart features.' If I decided that I wanted a more busy looking interior but lose out on quite a bit of features, I would just drive my MDX around town.

To me, having an RDX and MDX was quite redundant, and I decided to get rid of the more problematic and less feature rich car of the two. At least the MDX does have a digital cockpit not available on the RDX.

Many people, me included, love a more minimalistic interior than one with too many buttons and chrome with piano black plastic. I barely drive the MDX now as it just sits on my garage collecting dust. I've only put 800 miles on it since October. With the gas prices going up, it'll have even less usage.

Also, the Mach E is quite a head turner, especially with its sequential turn signals. I see an RDX on the road everywhere and nobody bats an eye toward them. The Mach E GT gets tons of onlookers and I've got people coming up to me asking about the vehicle.
that's my issue with the Mach E. Its far slower than its Tesla counterparts. Ford hasn't figured it out, yet. Model 3 dual motor skull drags it.

The Mach E does look good outside though, I agree.

Gas prices are annoying, but it is what it is. Im averaging 23mpg now, as its settled in. This is 4 less than my cx5 turbo, which I find odd, but it is faster, so yay, and wayyyy more fun to drive, etc. I only drive 20k miles a year or so, nowadays, so its just a rounding error. Im sure prices will come down at some point, but they don't dictate what I drive.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:41 PM
Pro

that's my issue with the Mach E. Its far slower than its Tesla counterparts. Ford hasn't figured it out, yet. Model 3 dual motor skull drags it.

The Mach E does look good outside though, I agree.

Gas prices are annoying, but it is what it is. Im averaging 23mpg now, as its settled in. This is 4 less than my cx5 turbo, which I find odd, but it is faster, so yay, and wayyyy more fun to drive, etc. I only drive 20k miles a year or so, nowadays, so its just a rounding error. Im sure prices will come down at some point, but they don't dictate what I drive.
You're right. In terms of raw performance, the Tesla does outclass the Mach E at least in the performance series. However, the build quality of the Tesla is pretty subpar, with uneven panel gaps, etc, and I hate how there is no gauge in front of the steering wheel. For me, do I really need to be the fastest EV on the block? Not really, but I do want really good performance. Otherwise, I would've gotten the MME GTPE.

Driving the MME GT has been very dangerous, as it is super easy to accelerate past the speed limit. Also, because it's so quiet and there's no noise or even and NVH whatsoever, it kind of encourages you to drive even faster.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-06-2022 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Just like a mattress, the purchaser can legally remove that tag.
Haha, yeah I don't know what it is about me, but I never remove tags. I removed the tag from my 2019 RDX 2 years after I bought it.
Old 03-06-2022, 10:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
You're right. In terms of raw performance, the Tesla does outclass the Mach E at least in the performance series. However, the build quality of the Tesla is pretty subpar, with uneven panel gaps, etc, and I hate how there is no gauge in front of the steering wheel. For me, do I really need to be the fastest EV on the block? Not really, but I do want really good performance. Otherwise, I would've gotten the MME GTPE.

Driving the MME GT has been very dangerous, as it is super easy to accelerate past the speed limit. Also, because it's so quiet and there's no noise or even and NVH whatsoever, it kind of encourages you to drive even faster.
All these performance EVs are so fast honestly that the delta between something like a Model 3 Performance and a Mach E GT, Polestar 2, etc. is much less important than things like build quality and refinement. And this is coming from a speed junkie. A lot of my friends have Model 3 and Model Ys, and I can confidently say that their initial build quality has been all over the place, but to make matters worse they're all unanimously aging fairly poorly. Rattles, squeaks, creaks, and the car just doesn't have that luxury feel in the way it rides.
mathnerd88 (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 10:32 PM
Racer

im neutral on EV. I drove EV in my Prime a lot a d the low end torque is intoxicating, but it falls off at higher speeds. Tesla doesn't. That said, Ford has bad build issues , too. Tesla is just horrible is all by any metric. Im going to wait for more range before I get an EV. They don't make any suitable at present for me, so debating them is moot.
Old 03-07-2022, 04:08 AM
Pro

im neutral on EV. I drove EV in my Prime a lot a d the low end torque is intoxicating, but it falls off at higher speeds. Tesla doesn't. That said, Ford has bad build issues , too. Tesla is just horrible is all by any metric. Im going to wait for more range before I get an EV. They don't make any suitable at present for me, so debating them is moot.
Debating might be moot for you, but not for others on this forum.

Every car manufacturer has bad build issues. Look at the 2019 Acura RDX and look at how many TSBs and recalls and compare them to the Mach E in its first model year and you’ll see that Acura RDX was worse in its beta testing for customers.

If the low end torque was intoxicating for you in the Prime, then I don’t know how it’ll feel for you in the Mach E GT because it’ll be crazy.

For your viewing pleasure

… and yes, I kept the sticker on the MDX trunk. I’ll peel it off eventually.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-07-2022 at 04:15 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mathnerd88:
pilozm (03-08-2022), Unobtanium (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 04:35 AM
Pro

Here’s another pic of my cars next to a 2022 Acura RDX a-spec advance. Don’t miss it one bit. Doesn’t have sequential LED turn signals that even cheaper brands like Ford has. The only thing that I found better with the RDX over the MME was the sound system, HUD, and the interior ambient lighting on the dash as well as the ability to open the sunroof/moonroof which I rarely use. Otherwise, in all other aspects, is worse.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-07-2022 at 04:48 AM.
Unobtanium (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:20 AM
Racer

Debating might be moot for you, but not for others on this forum.

Every car manufacturer has bad build issues. Look at the 2019 Acura RDX and look at how many TSBs and recalls and compare them to the Mach E in its first model year and you’ll see that Acura RDX was worse in its beta testing for customers.

If the low end torque was intoxicating for you in the Prime, then I don’t know how it’ll feel for you in the Mach E GT because it’ll be crazy.

For your viewing pleasure

… and yes, I kept the sticker on the MDX trunk. I’ll peel it off eventually.
oh, Id love the low end torque for sure, and the awd seems very good in the Mach, but I need a car with more range if I can't stop and fill it up.
pilozm (03-08-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 05:33 AM
Pro

oh, Id love the low end torque for sure, and the awd seems very good in the Mach, but I need a car with more range if I can't stop and fill it up.
Yeah, probably in a few more years the range will be much longer. I hope that Acura/Lexus comes out with a nice EV by then with range around 400-500 miles. I'm not optimistic about the price though. The Model X is already over $100k and it has a crappier build quality.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:35 AM
Racer

Yeah, probably in a few more years the range will be much longer. I hope that Acura/Lexus comes out with a nice EV by then with range around 400-500 miles. I'm not optimistic about the price though. The Model X is already over $100k and it has a crappier build quality.
I quite enjoy ICE vehicles, too, so I'm not really stressing.
Old 03-07-2022, 06:45 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
30mpg on my aspec on HW.

Unobtanium (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:05 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Lexus is moving back to touchscreen. I had no problem using the controller in my old 2013 ES350, but there were a ton of complaints from old Lexus owners. It's hard to teach an old dog new tricks, as they say. I loved how the screen was set back far enough to never have any sun glare issue. It was way too far back to be used as a touch screen. I guess people whined enough and now it's coming back, along with the glare and finger smudges.
Well, well. Another touchpad fan? You're right regarding the finger smudges on the touchscreen. At the end of the day it looks like a car full of toddlers had there way with it.
I hang a cleaning towel on the touchscreen in my Passport to control the crud that accumulates daily.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:19 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I do PREFER (by a small margin) a touchscreen, at least I DID, before my car accident in Nov. that left my right arm not able to reach a touchscreen, without feeling excruciating pain. In my '19 RDX, I set up the screen so my favorites were in the corners so I could touch the touchpad's corners and get what I wanted, without looking at either. That, combined with the steering wheel controls and voice controls, the touch pad works well for me.

I am looking forward to the '22 Advance that is due to arrive next week. (except the rash of broken tailgate windows is a bit concerning, especially with Acura USA not stepping up and the back orders)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:53 AM
Racer

Well, well. Another touchpad fan? ...
Yes, I much prefer not having to stretch my arm to the screen. Especially, since I'm tall and need the seat all the way back. I understand it takes a little more hand-to-eye coordination, but after a while you get accustom to it and it feels like 2nd nature.
JB in AZ (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 09:55 AM
Pro

I quite enjoy ICE vehicles, too, so I'm not really stressing.
Speaking of which, I'm now searching for dealers with Rav4 Prime in which I can trade the regular 2020 Rav4 Limited for. How do you like the Prime? Would you get it again?
Old 03-07-2022, 10:22 AM
Racer

Speaking of which, I'm now searching for dealers with Rav4 Prime in which I can trade the regular 2020 Rav4 Limited for. How do you like the Prime? Would you get it again?
The interior was pitiful for the price. It's not something I really cared about initially, but as time wore on, it grated on me. Nothing lights up but 1 button on the driver's door. No overhead map light buttons. No other door buttons. Can't find the lock vs. the window vs. the sunroof vs. the map light. It's absolutely unforgivable, but in 2022 I think they fixed it. The seats are excellent.

The build quality is way lower than my RDX or my CX5, with rattles and squeaks from day one. The materials feel cheap inside.

The integration of the ICE and 2 EV motors is excellent and seamless. The CVT is very direct feeling, being all gears and no belt/chain.

The suspension is very firm. It does great in sweepers where you maintain a steady speed. It does horrible with hard acceleration out of a corner as the front tires blow off easy. I've spun the tires at 50mph before in the rain, and that was with Michelin CC2's. The AWD crawls well, but if you accelerate, well, only 16% of the horsepower goes to the rear tires...you do the math.

All in all, It was a great way to make a buck and travel around for cheap without range anxiety of a PEV, but the actual owning it experience only had 1 delight: Killing stuff that thought it was "Just a rav4". It would dead hang with SRT8 Jeeps on the highway, and killed WRX's like a boss. Loved that about it.

I checked up on my RAV4 Prime that I traded in. It's being sold for $11K over sticker. Used. No tax credit possible. Good luck finding one for MSRP in stock, but they can be had!

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-07-2022 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:06 AM
Pro

The interior was pitiful for the price. It's not something I really cared about initially, but as time wore on, it grated on me. Nothing lights up but 1 button on the driver's door. No overhead map light buttons. No other door buttons. Can't find the lock vs. the window vs. the sunroof vs. the map light. It's absolutely unforgivable, but in 2022 I think they fixed it. The seats are excellent.

The build quality is way lower than my RDX or my CX5, with rattles and squeaks from day one. The materials feel cheap inside.

The integration of the ICE and 2 EV motors is excellent and seamless. The CVT is very direct feeling, being all gears and no belt/chain.

The suspension is very firm. It does great in sweepers where you maintain a steady speed. It does horrible with hard acceleration out of a corner as the front tires blow off easy. I've spun the tires at 50mph before in the rain, and that was with Michelin CC2's. The AWD crawls well, but if you accelerate, well, only 16% of the horsepower goes to the rear tires...you do the math.

All in all, It was a great way to make a buck and travel around for cheap without range anxiety of a PEV, but the actual owning it experience only had 1 delight: Killing stuff that thought it was "Just a rav4". It would dead hang with SRT8 Jeeps on the highway, and killed WRX's like a boss. Loved that about it.

I checked up on my RAV4 Prime that I traded in. It's being sold for $11K over sticker. Used. No tax credit possible. Good luck finding one for MSRP in stock, but they can be had!
I found a couple dealers near me based on other forums who are letting the Prime go at MSRP, but I would just have to wait a month. Whoever bought your Rav4 Prime is an idiot.

I do own a 2020 Rav4 Limited, so I know exactly what you mean by 'cheap materials,' but I do have a Limited which does upgrade the interior quite a bit. It did have the rearview mirror camera feature as well as wiper de-icer that the RDX did not have and I wished it was brought over during the refresh of the RDX.

RDX is still suffering from same issues from 2019 MY, like the rear glass shattering and the roof popping which it seems to me is kind of concerning for ANY branded car, let alone an Acura branded product.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 03-07-2022 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:38 AM
Racer

I found a couple dealers near me based on other forums who are letting the Prime go at MSRP, but I would just have to wait a month. Whoever bought your Rav4 Prime is an idiot.

I do own a 2020 Rav4 Limited, so I know exactly what you mean by 'cheap materials,' but I do have a Limited which does upgrade the interior quite a bit. It did have the rearview mirror camera feature as well as wiper de-icer that the RDX did not have and I wished it was brought over during the refresh of the RDX.

RDX is still suffering from same issues from 2019 MY, like the rear glass shattering and the roof popping which it seems to me is kind of concerning for ANY branded car, let alone an Acura branded product.
The rear window thing is overblown, IMO. I Googled it and found plenty of complaints of all brands. Like the Mustang Mach E, for example. Some guy on here bought a Mach E to get away from Acura troubles, imagine his dismay when he clicks this link :P
https://www.macheforum.com/site/thre...breaking.5503/
It just isn't an actual issue with a brand, it's the glass itself. Tempered glass is just wonky sometimes, and if the heat treat is a bit off, this can happen.
As to the popping pano roof, I have not had an issue yet, nor did the one I test drove, but I guess it could develop later. It's been 20*F out and I've taken some inclines and so forth, so I had hoped if it were, I'd hear it by now.
The Acura dealer bought my Prime. They are selling it for $10K over MSRP, now.

Last edited by Unobtanium; 03-07-2022 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts

Glad to hear a Acura owners opinion on alternative choices, especially coming from a current MDX and previous RDX owner. Gas prices in the current govt climate will only RISE. Sure electric cost will rise too - but its far easier on the wallet right now. Add in fed rebate, charging credits with some EV mfg's and zippo oil changes and ROI is more appealing. Honda and Sony just announced a joint venture to build electric vehicles in 2025 - to me that is missing the mark. Honda/Acura needs hybrids in their current fleet, best of both worlds (performance + economy) till they start mfg EV's.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 03-07-2022 at 12:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
mathnerd88 (03-07-2022), Unobtanium (03-07-2022)
Old 03-07-2022, 01:16 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts

Wiper de-icer? I assume you are referring to the heated windshield where the wipers rest? My 2022 ASpec/Advance has that. Haven’t heard of sunroof issues on the 2022.

Quick Reply: Hope buying RDX isn’t a mistake