Frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Frustrated

Hello, it's been more than 6 mo since I've had my 2020 rdx and I'm frustrated with the car. A few months into my lease, my brakes began to squeal. I thought this was strange since it's a new car. Took it to the dealership, and they said it was because Acura used crappy brakes and my front ones need to be replaced. The problem seemed to resolve at first, but recurred with a vengeance a week later. All four of my brakes began to squeal. Took it back to the dealership, and was told that the brakes that were recently installed were actually recalled by Acura because they also suck (but no one cared to tell me after they were installed?), and they would need to replace all 4 brake pads now. Apparently Acura got a lot of heat for using these crappy brakes (so much for a luxury car). Okay, more time wasted, whatever, so they replaced the brakes and that issue is resolved. A few days later, I was driving on the highway around 65 mph and all of a sudden my car makes a jerking motion and rapidly decelerates down to 20, refuses to accelerate. Almost got rear ended by the car behind me. I was in the left most lane, tried to change lanes to get off the highway but it was incredibly difficult because I could not accelerate!!! I almost crashed into other cars just to get off the highway. I seriously thought I was going to die. Took my car to the dealership, they kept it for a day, told me it was internal failure with counter shaft speed sensor (code P0723) causing the vehicle to go into fail safe mode. How many problems can a new car have? Did I receive a lemon? I no longer feel safe driving this car and am very disappointed with my first (and likely only) Acura.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Acurafangrl
Hello, it's been more than 6 mo since I've had my 2020 rdx and I'm frustrated with the car. A few months into my lease, my brakes began to squeal. I thought this was strange since it's a new car. Took it to the dealership, and they said it was because Acura used crappy brakes and my front ones need to be replaced. The problem seemed to resolve at first, but recurred with a vengeance a week later. All four of my brakes began to squeal. Took it back to the dealership, and was told that the brakes that were recently installed were actually recalled by Acura because they also suck (but no one cared to tell me after they were installed?), and they would need to replace all 4 brake pads now. Apparently Acura got a lot of heat for using these crappy brakes (so much for a luxury car). Okay, more time wasted, whatever, so they replaced the brakes and that issue is resolved. A few days later, I was driving on the highway around 65 mph and all of a sudden my car makes a jerking motion and rapidly decelerates down to 20, refuses to accelerate. Almost got rear ended by the car behind me. I was in the left most lane, tried to change lanes to get off the highway but it was incredibly difficult because I could not accelerate!!! I almost crashed into other cars just to get off the highway. I seriously thought I was going to die. Took my car to the dealership, they kept it for a day, told me it was internal failure with counter shaft speed sensor (code P0723) causing the vehicle to go into fail safe mode. How many problems can a new car have? Did I receive a lemon? I no longer feel safe driving this car and am very disappointed with my first (and likely only) Acura.
you didn’t get a lemon. Go drive a new Audi and see how much noise they make as well, the brakes don’t suck, they make noise because of the material they picked, I’m not a fan myself of the noise but it’s inherit with a lot of higher end brake pads, Acura seems to have not figured out how to actually fix this yet, not sure why, they have released several TSBs

Having one sensor that is bad doesn’t make your car a lemon. These cars have hundreds of computer modules and circuits, thousands of parts, yea it’s new, but sometimes you get a bad part, that’s why you have a warranty. All manufacturers have flaws and problems, overall I’ve been super happy with my RDX, is it perfect no, was it designed and built by humans, yes. Get it fixed and move on

you could try another brand, how about Tesla:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnb...lt-issues.html

or GM
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.new...549545%3famp=1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...l-leak-recall/

or Ford
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.car...ncoln-aviator/

Lexus or Toyota?
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...tall-abruptly/

volkswagon
https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...for-fire-risk/

my point is every car brand has issues, even high end known reliable brands. At least the roof of the car isn’t detaching or the car isn’t starting on fire, airbags arn’t going to kill you.

I don’t think people realize how crazily complex cars are today, they are insane

glad you didn’t get into an accident, overall the car is safe, hope you don’t have future problems.

Last edited by Dereileak; 11-25-2020 at 10:57 AM.
The following 9 users liked this post by Dereileak:
DarkNinja75 (11-25-2020), GW208 (11-25-2020), JB in AZ (11-26-2020), jmhumr (11-25-2020), Ludepower (11-25-2020), RDX-Rick (11-25-2020), rdx_to (11-25-2020), savvich (11-26-2020), ToniRDX19 (11-25-2020) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Two problems on a brand new car and one of which is...noise. Not really the end of the world. My 2019 also had squeaky brakes. They replaced the front rotors and pads and rear pads. Squeak is gone.
Old 11-25-2020, 04:58 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
The sudden deceleration on the highway is unacceptable. Even if that were the only problem, my confidence in the vehicle would be shaken. Yes, the brake noise is superficial. But, having a brand new vehicle go into limp mode, which has been reported here and other places, is very disconcerting. I've had this happen on a GM product, and it is incredibly stressful trying to get off the highway when you have the pedal slammed to the floor but all you're doing is decelerating. Hopefully this is a one time thing, OP. As for Lemon, technically, your vehicle would not qualify for the Lemon Law. Brake squeal would not be cause to open a Lemon Law case. If this "limp mode" becomes a recurrent theme, you would absolutely would have a case. Honestly, on a brand new car, if it happened again, I'd open up a case. Knowing what you've been through, that is absolutely not something I would want to deal with and would completely dash any confidence I had while driving the car ... which is why I've pretty much sworn off GM. Best of luck.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:04 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Time to change your user name.

the shining light is that you can keep the abbreviation.

AFG

AcuraFrustratedGrl
Old 11-25-2020, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Wait, so they fixed the brake squeal?
Old 11-25-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by DriverOne
Wait, so they fixed the brake squeal?
yeah, I think they just used different compounds for the pad to make it less race car and more daily driver friendly.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:53 PM
Banned

Have other people gotten it permanently fixed? I just kept reading that everyone tried and then it kept coming back.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
No it’s not completely fixed. On a cold or early morning the brakes still squeals. Dealer replaced both rotors and pads front and rear. This is a new part from the updated TSB. It is better but not fixed 100% yet. I will live with it and maybe when the brakes worn out I will replace it with better aftermarket parts.
Old 11-25-2020, 06:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
My Mercedes didn’t have any issue with brakes or sudden deceleration. My neighbors x7 and Audi s6 has zero problems, 7 months into ownership right now. Incidentally he was so happy to get rid of his MDX. A friends Volvo XC90, zero issues

my personal experiences actually reflects CR’s reliability ratings and Acura, remains bottom tier. Especially considering they produce so little cars. There is no excuse
Old 11-25-2020, 07:51 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I have had that happen (limp mode kicks in on the interstate), and it's definitely not fun! Glad you're okay.

Brakes are a funny thing... too hard, they don't stop well but last a long time... too soft, they stop great but you get dirty wheels and you have to replace pads/rotors every 35k miles.

My 2020 A-spec has a slight squeal under light braking under 10 miles per hour or so. I don't see that as a big deal though.

The counter shaft speed sensor problem is a bigger problem. If it was the sensor then no big deal... you'll likely never have that issue again. If it was software related where some random condition caused the ECU to read the sensor as "out of limits" I'd be more concerned.

Only two problems though... not a lemon. Good luck!
Old 11-25-2020, 07:57 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
My Mercedes didn’t have any issue with brakes or sudden deceleration. My neighbors x7 and Audi s6 has zero problems, 7 months into ownership right now. Incidentally he was so happy to get rid of his MDX. A friends Volvo XC90, zero issues

my personal experiences actually reflects CR’s reliability ratings and Acura, remains bottom tier. Especially considering they produce so little cars. There is no excuse
I've had Audi's and BMW's and have had major issues with both (transmission failures requiring replacement out of warranty - the Audi's failure happened 7k miles out of warranty). Also had a 2012 MDX that never had a problem that the dealer or Acura didn't cover (power steering pump was covered at 96k miles). Have a friend who has had several Acura's and his TL had the torque converter replaced under full warranty at 90k+ miles.

Audi has all but fixed their reliability issues, but I wouldn't own another BMW right now (I've owned 8 over the last 20 years).
Old 11-25-2020, 08:38 PM

I think we've covered this before but new and expensive doesnt mean reliable.
buyers wanting the latest and greatest will have the shiniest toy at the expense of reliability.
The following users liked this post:
boyce89976 (11-25-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 10:12 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
So, why do some cars have the brake squeal and some don't? I still have the original pads and rotors and I've never had brake squeal.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:44 AM
Banned

If you had the answer to that question, Acura would be interested to know, too.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (11-26-2020)
Old 11-26-2020, 12:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
So, why do some cars have the brake squeal and some don't? I still have the original pads and rotors and I've never had brake squeal.
I hope that’s a rhetorical question
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Acurafangrl

lol I’m pretty much in the same boat but many more issues..

Purchased February 2019 Brand New...

once spring hit the front suspension started making a crunchy/creaking sound over bumps... took it to dealer immediately and they took a cpl kknths to finally fix the issue.. once the fall hit and the colder weather started the same issue came again..

brakes have been squeaky since I purchased it and took it to fewer multiple times for the updates and counter measures... all that BS... was told by dealer a cpl weeks ago there is a new update which they’ll have to replace brakes waiting on that...

sunroof seal has been replaced twice, due to creaking sound ..

drivers seat back cushion had to be replaced due to creaking sounds when driving over any uneven pavement...

currently the biggest issues is the mutliple snapping sounds when out in reverse and going backwards slowly, happens every time.. was first told it’s the brakes but now it sounds like a suspension issue..

Ive lost all confidence with this vehicle, I’ve been on phone to Honda Canada multiple times .. they said their in the business in fixing not replacing and I understand that, they gave me a $700 credit due to the inconvenience of having to go to dealer 15+ Times since purchasing...

deaer told me they would get a field engineer to have a test drive and check things out but covid is hindering that..

hope the issues don’t continue it’s frustrating man, you buy this vehicle thinking it’s luxury and it’s performing worse then a GM vehicle.