AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Front License Plate Bracket (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/front-license-plate-bracket-972177/)

NSXFTW 08-05-2018 04:51 PM

Front License Plate Bracket

I’m working on a deal on an RDX from a Texas Acura dealer, but I live in New Mexico. In New Mexico, there is no front license plate requirement, but there is in Texas. Looks like the dealer installs the front license plate bracket on their new vehicles. My question is—Can I remove the bracket without leaving visible holes? I’m hoping the bracket screws in behind the face of the bumper. Can someone confirm or deny for me? I appreciate it!

billyt1963 08-05-2018 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by NSXFTW (Post 16275743)
I’m working on a deal on an RDX from a Texas Acura dealer, but I live in New Mexico. In New Mexico, there is no front license plate requirement, but there is in Texas. Looks like the dealer installs the front license plate bracket on their new vehicles. My question is—Can I remove the bracket without leaving visible holes? I’m hoping the bracket screws in behind the face of the bumper. Can someone confirm or deny for me? I appreciate it!

I noticed on my car that there are "dimples" on the front bumper for, I assume, a tag holder. I am guessing it is visible. There was another thread here that someone was selling plugs for the holes that were near perfect in color.

Billy

Found it after a search for "front bumper":

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-...-holes-971390/

NSXFTW 08-05-2018 05:14 PM

Thanks for finding that Billy! I didn’t do a broad enough search. The bumper plugs blend in nicely!

catbert430 08-05-2018 05:22 PM

If you ask them not to install the license plate bracket, there will be two tiny dimples.
If, however, they install the bracket, there will be two very visible screw holes.

My father bought a Honda in Pennsylvania where they haven't used a front plate since 1956 and the dealer mounted the plate bracket and a promotional plate with the dealer name on it.
I was horrified and immediately removed it and plugged the holes with silver painted plugs.

NSXFTW 08-05-2018 05:25 PM

If the photos on the dealer’s website are accurate, they’ve already drilled the holes and mounted the bracket

oblio98 08-05-2018 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by catbert430 (Post 16275759)
If you ask them not to install the license plate bracket, there will be two tiny dimples.
If, however, they install the bracket, there will be two very visible screw holes.

My father bought a Honda in Pennsylvania where they haven't used a front plate since 1956 and the dealer mounted the plate bracket and a promotional plate with the dealer name on it.
I was horrified and immediately removed it and plugged the holes with silver painted plugs.

How nice of them to turn his car into an moving advertisement for the dealership.

I remember a long time ago I was ready to pick up a new car, a Saab actually, and the dealer had drilled holes in the trunk to put their metal logo on the car. It was something dealers did in the past, before the double stick tape. However, I had expressly informed the salesman that they "better not drill holes in my trunk for that stupid metal logo". They did, and I cancelled the sale. They got another car with a different VIN. I checked! :)

Rocket_man 08-05-2018 08:37 PM

In Texas it is a requirement to install the front license plate so dealers do it automatically. But when my wife bought her Mini Cooper we asked them not to drill the bumper and they didn't. We installed a tow hook license plate holder ourselves. But we were sure to pre-coordinate this and the car was a custom order. Technically the dealers don't have to install the front plate but I think it is an inspection requirement. So from their perspective they are doing you a favor. I think the car has to have an inspection stick before you can drive it off. I can't remember how we got away with that.

If you told them you are taking the car out of state and registering it in NM maybe they would have left it off for you. It might be pretty common in border areas.

birdonamission 08-07-2018 12:22 PM

How about this: the guy who drilled and mounted the license plate bracket couldn't give a rat's tail worth of care about how centered or level the thing is and now you're driving around with lopsided plates. Happened to me before. Grrrrr...

Semi-along the same thought - why do people use Dealership license plate holders for the back plates? They're usually very obnoxious or ugly and some even obscure the plate itself (like the state name or motto on the bottom) (especially when they pay extra for specialty plates). It annoys me to no end, even though it's totally none of my business what other people do with their own cars...HA HA!

I also dislike dealership logos adhered to my car. I always tell them NOT to slap it on my new car when I come to pick it up. This is especially true if it was the dealership owner's 2-year-old toddler who designed it while on art time at daycare. LOL

xraytedjim 08-07-2018 05:40 PM

In California front plates are mandatory. Took that bad boy off and filled in the holes with bumperplugs. Not cheap, but the color match is perfect and worth it!

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=181_182&product_id=70

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...3f080e8767.jpg

KeithL 08-08-2018 06:32 PM

When we bought her 16 RDX they got it from North Carolina which had front bracket, dealer did me a solid and swapped bumpers with one on the lot. Most dealers would never do that and never on a 19 since they have so few in stock anyway.

Madd Dog 08-08-2018 06:40 PM

That is a real solid. They would get my business even if they were only in the ballpark, and not the cheapest.

(Georgia? The ‘do me a solid’ phrase is very Northeast ‘60s. Has it migrated South, too?)

KeithL 08-09-2018 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Madd Dog (Post 16277683)
That is a real solid. They would get my business even if they were only in the ballpark, and not the cheapest.

(Georgia? The ‘do me a solid’ phrase is very Northeast ‘60s. Has it migrated South, too?)

Thier sales department is top tier, but their service department is a joke. That causes a delimia as I do like to service where I buy. They also tend to give me their best price up front. The other dealer I deal with is the flip, great service, but marginal sales.