View Poll Results: What's your favorite mode?
Snow
0%
Comfort
44.44%
Normal
44.44%
Sport
16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Drive Modes on the 2022 (with adaptive suspension)

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 04:35 PM
9th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Drive Modes on the 2022 (with adaptive suspension)

I just wanted to share my experience with the 4 different drive modes in the 2022 (Advance A-Spec). I can't attest to the pre-refresh, but I thought I'd help some others out considering the '22.

TLDR: Normal mode is a happy medium, Comfort mode makes the vehicle feel slow and sluggish, and Sport mode feels like you should be on the track.

I'm a sports sedan kinda guy, and that's all I've ever owned for the most part. But I wanted something bigger, safer (AWD, cameras, etc), but still sporty looking and fun to drive as we now have a 2 year old. The real winner was the Honda reliability, as I was considering Volvo, Audi, etc. but didn't want to deal with the German issues as I have in the past. On to the drive modes;

The drive modes are insanely unique, especially between Comfort, Normal, and Sport.
I'm pretty sure Snow mode is the same as Comfort as I can't tell much difference, even driving it in snow as I did on the day I picked it up.
I've been trying them all out here and there over the last 100 miles, and I have come to love Normal mode the best personally. I'll try to explain why, and the differences.

Comfort Mode is by it's own name, very comfortable. A bit TOO comfortable, especially in the throttle response and gear changes. I love how it rides, which if I had to guess would be 10% or so softer than Normal mode, but it's honestly hard to tell much difference. The throttle takes more input to get it to respond, meaning the pedal has to be down quite a bit more to get moving. The gear changes in the transmission shift VERY early. This is mainly what turned me off of this mode, as the vehicle just didn't pick up quick enough even in casual driving, and I felt like I was driving an underpowered SUV around. Not winding out the gears underpowered, just slow overall. The engine noise seems best in this mode if you like things quiet. The synthetic noise seems to be nonexistent. Steering response is disconnected and a bit floaty, but I liked it.

Normal Mode is a great balance overall. The vehicle is VERY quick to respond as it gets up and moves quickly. Gear changes happen a little late for my taste (revs a bit higher), but I get that it's a 4-cyl turbo and not a V6 (as I'm used to my wife's 2019 V6 Sorento, I still prefer the smoothness of her car over mine, but the RDX is more fun to drive). Suspension seems to be closer to Comfort than Sport mode which I like. It's a tad harsher, but nothing crazy. Engine noise is ok, as it growls a bit if you get on it.

Sport Mode should literally be called Race mode, I'm guessing this was the Sport+ mode of the pre-model refresh. Throttle response is INSANE, Steering is nothing like I've experienced before, Suspension feels like I'm back driving my MK6 Jetta GLI all over again (without all the clunking going on), and the engine noise is pumped in like a horny high schooler's wet dream. It sounds cool and all, but it's not for me. The worst part about this drive mode is that the transmission revs out the gears, and doesn't downshift, so I can't see how anybody would leave it in this mode all the time? MPGs would be in the toilet.

So why no Individual mode Acura? I would love the Comfort suspension and engine silence, Normal mode throttle and steering feel. Basically something between Comfort and Normal. But I'm in my late 30's now, so I've relaxed a bit. I think the younger audience may enjoy Normal mode or even Sport mode, probably switching between them, and the older or more relaxed audience would keep it in Comfort or Normal.

That's my review, what do you guys think?
The following 6 users liked this post by cfdp:
GW208 (01-13-2022), Newport, Ohio (01-14-2022), oblio98 (01-13-2022), RDXADVASPEC (01-15-2022), sonyfever (01-16-2022), Too2ilent (01-15-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-13-2022, 05:39 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
Good write up.

I've had my car for about 500 miles and mostly because I've just been driving because I have to and not because I want to (work, store, etc) I haven't really been active in switching modes. I did go to snow mode when we got a foot of snow earlier in the week and the car did fine on my 'rough plowed' street (before they came around for the finish plow). Most of my 500 have been in normal mode, but I did try comfort and agree with you in that the car 'floats' more, is softer on bumps and stuff and I really didn't notice too much of a lag in driving, although I admit I was on an interstate.

As for Sport more, well, wow. It's really a sport mode. I put 65K miles on my 2019 RDX A-Spec and for the few times I tried sport mode I was not impressed. To me it really didn't make that much of a difference. However, on this 22, it sorta grabs you by the straps! The minute you hit the gas and grab the wheel the car feels totally different (to me). It's a ton of fun to drive and I can't wait for better weather (might be a while) to really give it a test on some nice back roads. But you're right, it's so aggressive that the MPH must really go down the tubes, but on occasion, who cares?

All in all, the car defaults to normal and that's where mine stays right now. As I get more used to it and the weather gets better, I'll check it out more, but to me there is quite a difference between the modes on my 19 and the modes on this 22
The following users liked this post:
tecwerks (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 08:41 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by oblio98
Good write up.

I've had my car for about 500 miles and mostly because I've just been driving because I have to and not because I want to (work, store, etc) I haven't really been active in switching modes. I did go to snow mode when we got a foot of snow earlier in the week and the car did fine on my 'rough plowed' street (before they came around for the finish plow). Most of my 500 have been in normal mode, but I did try comfort and agree with you in that the car 'floats' more, is softer on bumps and stuff and I really didn't notice too much of a lag in driving, although I admit I was on an interstate.

As for Sport more, well, wow. It's really a sport mode. I put 65K miles on my 2019 RDX A-Spec and for the few times I tried sport mode I was not impressed. To me it really didn't make that much of a difference. However, on this 22, it sorta grabs you by the straps! The minute you hit the gas and grab the wheel the car feels totally different (to me). It's a ton of fun to drive and I can't wait for better weather (might be a while) to really give it a test on some nice back roads. But you're right, it's so aggressive that the MPH must really go down the tubes, but on occasion, who cares?

All in all, the car defaults to normal and that's where mine stays right now. As I get more used to it and the weather gets better, I'll check it out more, but to me there is quite a difference between the modes on my 19 and the modes on this 22
I never reset my trip computer ever in 19k miles, my average mpg was 16.7…but of course most all of the time I was driving Sport+ and it was a blast. Looking forward to my 22, and your right, who cares? Not me :-)
Old 01-14-2022, 06:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
You are spot on in your review/description of the drive modes. I'm in a '22 A-Spec (coming from a '20 RDX/Tech) and the way you describe the feel and handling mirrors my experience - even though mine doesn't have the adaptive dampers. I haven't needed Snow mode, love Sport (the former Sport+) for occasional bursts of adrenaline, and happily cruise day to day in Normal (the old Sport mode, which is where I kept my '20). Comfort, while comfortable, robs the life from the RDX, IMHO.
Old 01-14-2022, 12:28 PM
Automotive Enthusiast

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
I echo most of your post.

I live in South Florida so the snow mode, yeah on that I got nothing.

Comfort is to fluffy and disconnected, like your pivoting arounds.
Sport is exhilarating and more spirited.
Normal is a great balance, its default and I like it.

No real reason to repeat what you had said, its pretty spot on. I do agree also on having a User mode. I'd like a sport - mode, trans from normal, suspension and steering and engine from sport.
Old 01-15-2022, 08:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only have a few 100 miles on our Advance but have yo agree with your summary so far.
I have used the snow mode on our '16 Pilot and felt the difference in a positive way... less likely to spin so power distribution got adjusted. Just haven't had enough snow here so far to test the RDX... maybe this wkend.
Does anyone know what the components are that are " adjusted" in the various modes?
I know tranny shift points are an obvious one and assume aspects of the SH-AWD are another.
What components are adjustable for soft/firmness of ride?
Any others?
Old 01-15-2022, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Drive modes: 2022 Advance Aspec

You summed up the 4 modes perfectly.

I’d like to add that in snow and sport modes, the Start/Stop is disabled by default.

Comfort:
The suspension dampening is the reason why I leave it in comfort mode 90% of the time. I live on Long Island and our rides are terrible. I’m impressed with how the suspension soaks up the potholes, uneven roads and expansion joints.

Snow:
I’ve only used it once and I noticed it started off in a higher gear and turned off auto start/ stop.

Normal:
this mode is still softer than the 2021 A Spec I test drove without the adaptive dampers. It is also the best balance between all 4 modes. (Shifts, sound, steering weight, and ride quality)

Sport:
The 2021 A Spec that I test drove had Sport + and trust me when I say, they have definitely tweaked the Sport mode on the 2022 Advance A Spec to feel more responsive than the sport + on the 2021 model.

I 100% agree with the original poster, an individual mode would been the sprinkles on the cake. I test drove a TLX advance FWD with individual mode and I wish it was offered on the RDX. I’m not too bummed out because I learned that the car does not start back up in individual, snow, or sport modes.

sonyfever (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022, 11:39 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXADVASPEC
You summed up the 4 modes perfectly.

I’d like to add that in snow and sport modes, the Start/Stop is disabled by default.
Also, in Sport+, the transmission will never shift beyond 8th. I assume that's true for Sport in the '22.

Are the '22 modes exactly the same in the '19-'21 MYs, except for the names? That is,
Snow = Snow
Comfort = Comfort
'19-'21 Sport = '22 Normal
'19-'21 Sport+ = '22 Sport

In my '19, I notice only a slight difference in ride and transmission operation between Comfort and Sport (Normal). But a HUGE difference between Sport (Normal) and Sport+ (Sport). I would prefer the ride be a little softer in Comfort mode. Even in Comfort mode the ride is biased a little more toward firm performance rather than luxury. Maybe the active dampers don't have any more latitude for that.

Anyways, I go between Comfort and Sport (Normal) routinely. Sport (Normal) most of the time but I switch to Comfort when just cruising on the highway. Actually, in bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'll usually switch to Sport+ (Sport). It just works better.

Last edited by NooYawkuh; 01-16-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-17-2022, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts
snow mode dampens the throttle heavily. I probably had it at 60% to go 40mph. Worked great though!
tecwerks (01-17-2022)