Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch with Acura OEM Cover

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 09:21 PM
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
Draw-Tite Trailer Hitch with Acura OEM Cover

I’m looking to add a trailer hitch to my A-Spec. I want a stronger hitch than Acura’s OEM, that is 2”, not 1 1/4. Does anyone know if I can use the Draw-Tite Hitch and use the OEM Hitch Cover from Acura? The Draw-Tite is a Class III, not Class I. It looks like it sticks out quite a bit more and it does not look as good as the OEM option.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:15 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
The aftermarket hitch is designed to drop down below the bumper, so an OEM bumper panel insert won't make any difference. It would be above the hitch.

The OEM hitch is designed to extend through an opening in the replacement bumper panel insert. It's a few inches higher than the aftermarket version.
Old 12-20-2019, 05:46 PM
Be the Best Be Great

Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by Packagingpro
I’m looking to add a trailer hitch to my A-Spec. I want a stronger hitch than Acura’s OEM, that is 2”, not 1 1/4. Does anyone know if I can use the Draw-Tite Hitch and use the OEM Hitch Cover from Acura? The Draw-Tite is a Class III, not Class I. It looks like it sticks out quite a bit more and it does not look as good as the OEM option.

OK to do (from 1 1/4" to 2").. Just so you realize that there is a reason for using different sizes of hitches. THe 2019/2020 RDX has a TOWING CAPACITY of 1500 lbs for both AWD and FWD versions.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...30.3r30BTiDMeU

Last edited by Acure4RDX; 12-20-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Acure4RDX
OK to do (from 1 1/4" to 2").. Just so you realize that there is a reason for using different sizes of hitches. THe 2019/2020 RDX has a TOWING CAPACITY of 1500 lbs for both AWD and FWD versions.
Correct, but the 1-1/4" hitch is quite limiting for attaching bike racks or hitch platforms. A 2" hitch would have benefits for those uses even though towing would still be limited to 1500 lbs.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:34 AM
Racer

Should I get the Factory Wiring Harness?

[QUOTE=Wander;16519587]Correct, but the 1-1/4" hitch is quite limiting for attaching bike racks or hitch platforms. A 2" hitch would have benefits for those uses even though towing would still be limited to 1500.

I have made up my mind and decided to go with the OEM Hitch. I am doing this mainly for a bike rack so I will be fine with the weight limit and towing capacity. Regarding the wiring harness, why do most people need this due to the limitations? I am debating whether I should get this added. Can you give me examples of what applications would use this? Not sure if it would benefit me in the future.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:48 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
I’ve considered getting a tow hitch, and I think if I were to do it I’d get a 2” instead of the OEM because there are just a lot more accessories for 2”. But either way the RDX just doesn’t have a lot of pulling capability or carrying capacity - I think the tongue weight limit is something like 150 lbs.

Why is the RDX tow capacity so low? Did they just cheap out on the frame strength or something? Competitors have at least in the 4000-5000 lbs range.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:37 AM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
[QUOTE=Packagingpro;16521227]
Originally Posted by Wander
Correct, but the 1-1/4" hitch is quite limiting for attaching bike racks or hitch platforms. A 2" hitch would have benefits for those uses even though towing would still be limited to 1500.

I have made up my mind and decided to go with the OEM Hitch. I am doing this mainly for a bike rack so I will be fine with the weight limit and towing capacity. Regarding the wiring harness, why do most people need this due to the limitations? I am debating whether I should get this added. Can you give me examples of what applications would use this? Not sure if it would benefit me in the future.
The wiring harness has only one job and that is to provide power to lights and turn signals on a trailer. That’s it. If you think you might pull a small trailer one day get. If your only carrying a bike rack don’t get it. Pretty easy decision. My hitch is only for my bike rack for now but I will add the harness to have just in case.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:45 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I’ve considered getting a tow hitch, and I think if I were to do it I’d get a 2” instead of the OEM because there are just a lot more accessories for 2”. But either way the RDX just doesn’t have a lot of pulling capability or carrying capacity - I think the tongue weight limit is something like 150 lbs.

Why is the RDX tow capacity so low? Did they just cheap out on the frame strength or something? Competitors have at least in the 4000-5000 lbs range.

Engine size, brakes, vehicle frame, transmission, and that’s just the way it was designed. It you need more capacity should have gotten a truck or one of the RDX’s competitors with a higher tow rating.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:00 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by kboo74656
Engine size, brakes, vehicle frame, transmission, and that’s just the way it was designed. It you need more capacity should have gotten a truck or one of the RDX’s competitors with a higher tow rating.
Considering every other competitor has a 4c turbo, and most with less HP, I don't think that's the problem. And I doubt the brakes are any worse than the competitors either. I don't need more towing capacity at this point, but in the next 10 years that I own the car, I might and it would be nice if it had a rating that allowed for a motorcycle rack, or to tow something like an Airstream Basecamp or Nest.

I know 90% of small SUV owners don't tow ever, but it would be nice to have that as an option.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:55 PM
Drifting

Unknown why the tow capacity is so low, but FWIW Honda/Acura does validate towing capacity with a standardized suite of road tests, unlike some manufacturers. And as noted, the weak link could be any one of many vehicle systems. It's not necessarily the "frame" or hitch attachments. But having said that, I wouldn't go crazy with loading up a 2" hitch with accessories, because it will use exactly the same attachment points.

I did some crazy things in my youth, like towing a lightweight ski boat behind a tiny "hot hatch" ( but on the upside, the colors matched perfectly... white and red! ).

But for recreational towing it's prudent not to push the limits, especially at high speeds. And some loads are harder to tow than others, even if they are the same weight. ( I'm looking at you, camper trailers! ) If towing is a priority, there are lots of other vehicles that are more capable.

BTW, I said nothing about wiring harness, that was Packagingpro ( failed quotation ). But the wiring can be added at a later date, if it is required for towing. Some accessories have tail lights, but it is rare.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:03 PM
Racer

Can someone post a pic of the OEM Trailer Hitch with no attachments, from the back of the vehicle?
Old 03-11-2020, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Honda's attitude towards Towing is pretty stupid. I remember buying a pilot back in 2004 and if you wanted to add a trailer hitch Honda said I was also supposed to put an auxilary cooler on there...wtf? I put an aftermarket hitch on there and occasionally pulled my lawn tractor on a trailer with no problem and no cooler. Fast forward to today and it's just about as big of a joke.... if you go with all the bits and pieces and Honda wiring harness it's about $700 list or a hair more. My dealer wanted $1,100 installed. I picked up the draw Tite hitch and Aftermarket Wiring Harness I think for around $230 and everything is way easier to install than the Honda stuff except I can't use my 19" spare tire. I only keep my vehicle's two to three years so I'm getting pretty sick of the Honda crazy expensive routes and then I will get nothing for that stuff when I trade it in. I see the new Hyundai Palisades and telluride's have a hitch package installed from the factory for four hundred bucks and most dealers order it. For me having a nice little utility trailer around the house is like having a free pickup truck... wake up Honda and think about people like me and the bicycle people!
The following users liked this post:
thetrev68 (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 05:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Packagingpro
Can someone post a pic of the OEM Trailer Hitch with no attachments, from the back of the vehicle?
Here you go.

ChrisBac1 (04-20-2023)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:36 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
OEM Hitch on 2020 RDX Tech

2020 RDX OEM Hitch -

I wanted to post this because I just have this installed about three weeks ago and I noticed the factory bumper cover is a little different than the one posted on the red RDX. Could it possibly be a difference between the bumper cover for a technology package RDX versus an a spec?
ChrisBac1 (04-20-2023)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:07 PM
Pro

I have a 19 A-Spec with Tech Pkg. You would think they would have the same bumper cover for the hitch. Did you check with the parts dept to see if they ordered the correct cover? That just doesn’t look right at all.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:38 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

The difference between the two is that @TheDatanator seems to have the bumper insert installed (not the correct name) while @kboo74656 does not. That makes @TheDatanator’s hitch flush with the bumper and yours not. The other difference is that one plug (insert) has the Acura symbol, the other not.

AFAIK there’s no reason the two should be different for tech or a-spec. I mean, a-spec doesn’t have the spare (wtf?) but that doesn’t make a difference in tow package.
Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Pro

The difference between the two is that @TheDatanator seems to have the bumper insert installed (not the correct name) while @kboo74656 does not. That makes @TheDatanator’s hitch flush with the bumper and yours not. The other difference is that one plug (insert) has the Acura symbol, the other not.

AFAIK there’s no reason the two should be different for tech or a-spec. I mean, a-spec doesn’t have the spare (wtf?) but that doesn’t make a difference in tow package.

When I bought my hitch from Acura it also came with the replacement bumper insert to accommodate the hitch. I took off the old one and replaced it with the new one. His insert looks like it doesn’t belong there. Other pics I’ve seen on this site look just like mine not his. Something is definitely up with his when you compare the pics. Also if you zoom in on his pic his hitch sticks out the same amount as mine. Bolt hole locations are the same no matter the trim level.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:47 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by kboo74656
I have a 19 A-Spec with Tech Pkg. You would think they would have the same bumper cover for the hitch. Did you check with the parts dept to see if they ordered the correct cover? That just doesn’t look right at all.
Yes it is correct and fits quite nicely. It seems there are two different bumper covers. See the install guide - two part numbers specified. Mine is 08L92-TJB-200B. Yours appears to be 08L92-TJB-200C. I don’t know why the difference unless it is due to handsfree tailgate opener or aspec.

https://acura.bernardiparts.com/Imag...II07802-09.pdf

Old 03-11-2020, 11:16 PM
Drifting

There are different bumper panels for different trims, because of the hands-free tailgate on Advance. The hands-free kit is available as an accessory for any trim, and that also needs the panel that will accommodate a hitch-compatible hands-free sensor.

The stock hands-free sensor on Advance needs to be replaced with a different one if you want the feature to work with the hitch, so yeah, this gets gosh darn expensive just to pull a tiny kayak trailer or mount a bike rack.

FWIW, 2nd-gen Pilot had a 2" Class III hitch integrated into the bumper, and all you had to do was remove a small "modesty panel" to expose the opening. The Touring trim even came prewired with trailer wiring.

But then Honda decided no-one really tows anyway, so they went back to building minivans.

As for ATF coolers, same deal; IIRC 2nd-gen Pilot had an auxiliary ATF cooler pre-installed. But adding ATF coolers for towing isn't unique to Honda/Acura. And less expensive aftermarket ATF cooler kits are available, but Honda/Acura's kits are well engineered to mount securely in an optimal location on their intended vehicle. Recent Honda/Acura vehicles specify to add the ATF cooler for maximal towing capacity, but light towing is OK without it.

Last edited by Wander; 03-11-2020 at 11:23 PM.