Difference between Tech and A-Spec package

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 02:25 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Question Difference between Tech and A-Spec package

Hey all,

I'm planning to switch from my 2018 CR-V EX to a 2022 A-Spec RDX when it comes out. Besides the information listed on the Acura website is there a difference between the 2 packages in terms of like different suspensions or anything of that sort?

Thanks!
Old 05-20-2021, 02:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I believe it is only the 20" tires and the A-Spec trim for major changes. I am also waiting for the 2020 specs to be released and with then make my decision on whether to buy a 2021 or 2022 A-Spec.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:41 PM
Advanced

Some of my friends have told me that the A-Spec has tighter or harder suspensions? I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking if anyone knows. I too am waiting to see how the refresh looks before i make a decision. From the pictures that have been released i know the exhaust pipes are now square instead of circular and front and rear bumpers will be changed as well. I hope they give the same all electronic display as the MDX for the spedometer
Old 05-21-2021, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe the engine and suspension components are the same across the board. However, the A-Spec trim offers cosmetic differences from the Tech package. I believe that and the 20' wheels are the only difference.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:33 AM
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 67 Posts
The stereo is a big upgrade on the A-spec trim, and the red seat option is A-spec also as well in addition to the red gauges. The last two points are cosmetic, but I believe worth noting.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wuffy
I believe it is only the 20" tires and the A-Spec trim for major changes. I am also waiting for the 2020 specs to be released and with then make my decision on whether to buy a 2021 or 2022 A-Spec.
you mean you're waiting on the 2022 mmc for possible spec changes right?
Old 05-21-2021, 10:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Aspec has better stereo and interior than tech
Old 05-21-2021, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Yes. I figure it is close enough to release date for the 2022, that I might as well wait and see if anything worthwhile is changed. Still annoyed that a heated steering wheel isn't standard but at least it is an option on the A-Spec.
Old 05-21-2021, 12:03 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Yes. I figure it is close enough to release date for the 2022, that I might as well wait and see if anything worthwhile is changed. Still annoyed that a heated steering wheel isn't standard but at least it is an option on the A-Spec.
Agree on the heated wheel should have been standard, and as others have noted from time to time, the ASpec package should have been an option for the tech and advanced packages instead of on its own ....I had the heated wheel added to my ASpec, I don't recall the cost but when we lived in Reno it was well worth it to me. Now that we live back in Vegas....not so much! Personally I like the looks of the ASpec quite a bit better than the non ASpec. I don't remember what other (non-appearance based) things it included, but it seems it was the heated/cooled front seats, the 'suede' seat inserts, the red gauges (which I don't care for as they, on the silver dial color get kind of washed out in day driving), the stereo upgrade. Ultimately I had (as noted) the heated wheel added, as well as mud flaps and the running bars.
The following users liked this post:
wuffy (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Thanks everyone who has replied so far. I'm still leaning on the A-Spec package as i will prob be keeping this car for a while. Just wanted to see if there were any other differences besides the cosmetic things.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:33 PM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
Wink

You can also get the sweet Apex Blue color in the A-Spec trim. I highly recommend it!
Old 05-21-2021, 04:35 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by swttsx007
You can also get the sweet Apex Blue color in the A-Spec trim. I highly recommend it!
I am between the apex blue and white. Once the 22 comes out i will go in person to see both and decide from there
Old 05-21-2021, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

I am leaning towards the Red A-Spec as I have a blue 2018 RDX right now and want it to be a little different. The blue A-Spec is definitely my 2nd choice.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:50 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
As far as color is concerned, some of 5he colors really pop. I suggest you get one of them. When you go to the parkinglot, another white, black, or gray car just blends in.

Ours is almost the only Bronze car we see, but that blue is a gem, and so is the red. They just glow.
wuffy (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:52 PM
Advanced

There is a post where someone posted the apex blue and from his pictures its a really bright blue. However where he is located, was really bright. when i go in person if its not like the pictures being super bright and a tone lower, i will for sure get the apex blue. I am 100% in agreeance with you on wanting to stand out. This is why i always try to throw my own little cosmetic touch to the car to be different haha
Old 05-21-2021, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
There are more than cosmetic differences. See list below. I have a 2021 PMC which comes with all three packages: Tech, A-Spec, and Advance. Here are the differences between the A-Spec and Advanced packages I had to have things like the A-Spec's looks, the Advance heated steering wheel and temporary spare tire (plus the tire sealant kit), the Heads-Up Display, which I had in my Jaguar so I wasn't giving it up for an Acura. That and the 360 surround camera system and heated steering wheel. Too many differences, so I bought the only RDX with everything plus the badass flaming orange metallic color. The PMC actually left out one thing that surprised me: the spare tire. I have purchased a car without a factory spare tire. I thought every new passenger car came with a spare tire. So, I told the dealer I wanted it added at no extra charge and he agreed. I got everything from all of the packages.

1. Amplitude Reactive Dampers: Tech and A-Spec
2. Adaptive Damper System: Advance package only
3. 20-inch wheels: A-Spec only. Tech and Advanced: Tires are 235/55 R19; A-Spec: Tires are 255/45 R20
4. Rain sensing wipers: Advance only
5. LED Fog Lights: A-Spec and Advance only
6. Ordinary Dual Exhaust Outlets: All packages except A-Spec
7. Exclusive Dual Exhaust Outlets: A-Spec only
8. Exclusive Front and Rear Bumpers: A-Spec only
9. Acoustic Front Side Glass: Advance package only
10. Ultra-suede trimmed interior (seats and doors); A-Spec only
11. 16-way Power Seats with power thigh extension and power side bolsters: Advance package only
12. Heated AND Ventilated Front seats: A-Spec and Advance
13. Heated rear seats: Advance package only
14. Heated steering wheel: Advance package only
15. Red ambient cabin lighting: A-Spec only
16. Sport pedals: A-Spec only
17. Premium 3D Audio system: A-Spec and Advance
18. Sixteen speakers: A-Spec and Advance (Tech has 12 speakers, Standard only 9 speakers)
19. Head-Up Display (HUD): Advance only
20. 360 degree Surround View Camera System: Advance only
21. Head-Up Warning System: Advance only
22. Temporary Spare Tire: Tech and Advance
23. Tire Sealant and Repair Kit: A-Spec only

Last edited by Trek; 05-21-2021 at 06:17 PM.
wuffy (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 06:29 PM
Intermediate

Yeah, still confused on the lack of spare tire. I may try to push for either the spare tire or a heated steering wheel when I buy. It will be interesting if I can get them to move or throw in anything. Nice thing is that I don't have to buy right now and last month I paid off my 2018.
Old 05-21-2021, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Yeah, still confused on the lack of spare tire. I may try to push for either the spare tire or a heated steering wheel when I buy. It will be interesting if I can get them to move or throw in anything. Nice thing is that I don't have to buy right now and last month I paid off my 2018.
After you negotiate the price of the car, tell them you won't do the deal without the spare tire AND the tire sealant kit also thrown in.
wuffy (05-21-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 12:31 AM
Advanced

I'm in the same boat as you. Will pay off my 2018 next month and im planning in Nov to get the 22 if the refresh details come out and i still love everything about it!
Old 05-22-2021, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Trek
There are more than cosmetic differences. See list below. I have a 2021 PMC which comes with all three packages: Tech, A-Spec, and Advance. Here are the differences between the A-Spec and Advanced packages I had to have things like the A-Spec's looks, the Advance heated steering wheel and temporary spare tire (plus the tire sealant kit), the Heads-Up Display, which I had in my Jaguar so I wasn't giving it up for an Acura. That and the 360 surround camera system and heated steering wheel. Too many differences, so I bought the only RDX with everything plus the badass flaming orange metallic color. The PMC actually left out one thing that surprised me: the spare tire. I have purchased a car without a factory spare tire. I thought every new passenger car came with a spare tire. So, I told the dealer I wanted it added at no extra charge and he agreed. I got everything from all of the packages.

1. Amplitude Reactive Dampers: Tech and A-Spec
2. Adaptive Damper System: Advance package only
3. 20-inch wheels: A-Spec only. Tech and Advanced: Tires are 235/55 R19; A-Spec: Tires are 255/45 R20
4. Rain sensing wipers: Advance only
5. LED Fog Lights: A-Spec and Advance only
6. Ordinary Dual Exhaust Outlets: All packages except A-Spec
7. Exclusive Dual Exhaust Outlets: A-Spec only
8. Exclusive Front and Rear Bumpers: A-Spec only
9. Acoustic Front Side Glass: Advance package only
10. Ultra-suede trimmed interior (seats and doors); A-Spec only
11. 16-way Power Seats with power thigh extension and power side bolsters: Advance package only
12. Heated AND Ventilated Front seats: A-Spec and Advance
13. Heated rear seats: Advance package only
14. Heated steering wheel: Advance package only
15. Red ambient cabin lighting: A-Spec only
16. Sport pedals: A-Spec only
17. Premium 3D Audio system: A-Spec and Advance
18. Sixteen speakers: A-Spec and Advance (Tech has 12 speakers, Standard only 9 speakers)
19. Head-Up Display (HUD): Advance only
20. 360 degree Surround View Camera System: Advance only
21. Head-Up Warning System: Advance only
22. Temporary Spare Tire: Tech and Advance
23. Tire Sealant and Repair Kit: A-Spec only
Thank you for the info! Appreciate it!
Old 05-22-2021, 07:15 AM
Advanced

One correction to my statement. I meant to say that I have NEVER purchased a new car that did not come with a spare tire. You just never know. None of the RDX models come with run flats. The tire repair kit with sealant is not a substitute for a 50 mph spare. It is not effective if the hole or tear in your tire is in the sidewall. It is a pretty good kit, and comes automatically with the A-Spec, but I take long-distance drives. I didn't want to risk not having a spare. When I first went to look at RDX models, I was shocked to learn that the A-Spec (and the PMC) does not come with a spare. That is why once I negotiated the sale price of the car and was ready to sign, I insisted that the dealer add the spare tire AND let me keep the tire repair kit and sealant that normally comes with the A-Spec. I'm sure the spare tire is smaller than the normal A-Spec level tires, but it should be okay should I ever need it for a short distance drive to a repair shop. I believe the reason the A-Spec (and PMC) does not come with a spare tire is that the size of the A-Spec tire (diameter and width) can't be accommodated in the space underneath and in front of the diffuser. That's what I believe unless someone has other information. The normal A-Spec tire is both taller and wider than the tires on other RDX variants (see the tire specs in my post above). So, the spare tire won't match the other A-Spec tires, but it is just for an emergency. A mini-spare also would not match.

Last edited by Trek; 05-22-2021 at 07:23 AM.
wuffy (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 07:31 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Tech and Advance 235/55 R19 tire Circumference 91.22" diameter 29.18"
A-Spec 255/45 R20 tire Circumference 91.2" diameter 29.0"

Pretty darn close....

From a quick Google search, different brands may may vary just a bit.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Its a new trend in auto industry, they are eliminating spare tires, Acura is not the only one. It helps to keep costs down and also better MPG advertisement. Its really stupid IMHO.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:21 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by russianDude
Its a new trend in auto industry, they are eliminating spare tires, Acura is not the only one. It helps to keep costs down and also better MPG advertisement. Its really stupid IMHO.
YUP! Stupid, but understandable, considering they look for any way to reduce weight to meet increasingly difficult fuel efficiency standards. The spare was an option on my Corsair! It mounts inside under the cargo floor, where it is impossible to get to if you have a bunch of stuff there! I didn't have a spare on my RDX, probably would have added to the repair estimate.

Speaking of efficiency, I wonder if Teslas come with spares, (they may not allow an owner to change their own flat tire!) or the Mustang Mach-e, or any EVs for that matter.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:35 AM
Intermediate

Does anyone know, would the spare tire from a 2018 RDX fit on a 2021 RDX A-Spec? One thought I have is that if they don't want to throw in the spare tire option, then I will keep my jack and spare from my 2018 on trade in if they want to be jerks.

Call me old-fashioned but I would prefer to take the 10-15 minutes to change my own tire if I ever got a flat instead of relying on a phone call and hoping/waiting for someone to come out and assist me.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Tech and Advance 235/55 R19 tire Circumference 91.22" diameter 29.18"
A-Spec 255/45 R20 tire Circumference 91.2" diameter 29.0"

Pretty darn close....

From a quick Google search, different brands may may vary just a bit.
Yes, close but not the same. I admit my original goal was to get a RDX Tech. I took one look at the tires on the A-Spec and the tires on the other variants and I had to go higher. The A-Spec tires are noticeably wider and are lower profile. That may not mean a whole lot in the end, but a wider tire has a wider footprint planted on the road. Then again, I admit to being somewhat biased. I came from a Jaguar with stock 22-inch, low-profile, summer performance tires (I swapped them with all-seasons every six months) and loved the way they planted the SUV on the road especially at high speeds. So the tires on the RDX variants other than the A-Spec looked anemic to me. Personal preference. I picked the PMC variant because it had all of the packages, everything I liked about the A-Spec and Advance packages. I wasn't willing to leave anything out because I was used to having everything in my previous vehicle. I was willing to accept the lack of power side-folding mirrors and the modestly powered engine (this car is slow compared to my last vehicle). But I got a beautiful car with every other available option and tech function at a price significantly cheaper than the car I traded in for it. The bonus: I still have my Gen 1 2008 RDX Tech, 151,000 miles. I have two RDXs now!

Last edited by Trek; 05-22-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trek
Yes, close but not the same. ..
Yes, I agree, also, they tires will wear down more than the differences. However, my point is not to argue.

I agree, you got the best of them all. Like others, I don't understand why Acura choose to limit the A-Spec to a specific trim, It should be an appearance option. Why should an A-spec buyer not get the Advance features, HUD, etc? But they do what they want to do. We either buy, compromise, or modify after purchase.
Trek (05-23-2021)