Dealer vs non dealer service

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2023, 01:31 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer vs non dealer service

I need to take my 2021 RDX for the B16 service (oil change, tire rotation and replacing rear differential fluid) The dealer quoted me $75 more than a local shop.

Is the price difference for this type of service worth going to the local shop instead of the dealer? I know the dealer uses genuine parts and specializes in the car and sometimes that peace of mind is worth the money. But is it really worth it for this type of service?
Old 02-07-2023, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 210 Likes on 114 Posts
It is so ironic that I just came across this post. I was just at the Acura dealership yesterday for an A-1 service with 19k miles. I was VERY unimpressed with the dealership as a whole. The service advisors, who didn't even bother to acknowledge or greet me when I arrived, left me hanging in the service area for three minutes before one of the three advisors acknowledged my presence with his back turned to me. On top of that, the three service advisors looked like high school kids. No one there had any personality, and they acted like I was doing them a favor to have my vehicle serviced there.

As far as the service goes, that was rather interesting. I have NO doubt that the dealership that I visited is all about upselling. I understand that Acura is a "premium" brand, and most people that have one usually aren't poor. So, I get the trying to upsell to make commission, however, that just drives me absolutely nuts. I am all for paying for the needed services, but I have a hard time just throwing money down the drain at the service advisors expense. Fortunately for me, I am not a sucker, and I know what should and shouldn't be done. Some people, however, aren't so lucky as I witnessed first hand yesterday.

The service advisor (looked like a high school kid) came out to the service area to inform me that my filters were very dirty. I said, wow, that's interesting. My car isn't asking for the filter replacement service, and 2 I literally just changed my cabin air filter 3 weeks ago, and checked my engine air filter which was fine. I then asked him to take me out to the vehicle right now and show me the dirty filters. At that point, I got a deer in the headlight look. He then changed his tune and it became a "precautionary recommendation." Yeah, OK!

I have had MUCH better luck with Honda's service center by me. I will NEVER go back to that Acura dealership. I really am not sure what it is with Acura, but I've had piss-poor service with the two dealerships I've dealt with (buying and servicing). At this point, I am so turned-off to Acura. I actually just received the service managers cell phone number so that I can give him a call after work regarding my service visit yesterday.

As far as your question - honestly, if you can find a good reputable independent shop, I would highly recommend it. I think people feel that their car is in "better hands" at the dealership, but I'm not always so sure about that. I am actually planning on looking and asking around for decent independent shops. Unless my RDX needs warranty service, I don't plan on going back to Acura again.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (02-07-2023)
Old 02-07-2023, 02:17 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
Make sure to bring your own OEM fluids if you go outside Acura/Honda. Is DIY a choice?
The trick with “your air/cabin filter very dirty, do you want us to change it” is a very old scam to make a quick buck. I
once caught them (10 years ago), I replaced my cabin filter 2
weeks prior and they told me its dirty. I complained to service manager and they apologized and said they will make sure this will never happen again.

Last edited by russianDude; 02-07-2023 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:07 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Unless it's warranty work, I would try and find a reputable independent shop or as mentioned above a Honda dealer. My $0.02
Old 02-07-2023, 07:17 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by russianDude
Make sure to bring your own OEM fluids if you go outside Acura/Honda. Is DIY a choice?
The trick with “your air/cabin filter very dirty, do you want us to change it” is a very old scam to make a quick buck. I
weeks prior and they told me its dirty. I complained to service manager and they apologized and said they will make sure this will never happen again.
Yeah, exactly! They wanted $125 for both filters with installation. What a ripoff!

I am waiting to hear back from the service manager. I have no desire to ever go back to that dealership, so other than him being aware of how his service writers are, there really isn't much that he can do for me.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:54 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by swttsx007
Yeah, exactly! They wanted $125 for both filters with installation. What a ripoff!

I am waiting to hear back from the service manager. I have no desire to ever go back to that dealership, so other than him being aware of how his service writers are, there really isn't much that he can do for me.
What are the odds that he calls?
Old 02-07-2023, 09:14 PM
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 139 Posts

The service writers are likely being taught those sales tactics by the Manager.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:25 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
Yes, most likely! This is the reason why I don't really care if I speak to the service manager via phone or not. He's just going to blow smoke up my a$$. I don't want anything from him - I wouldn't take a free oil change, etc. I also sent Acura the email I sent him, along with comments on my service survey. I will never go back to that dealership! I already plan to drive an extra 20 minutes for my next warranty service visit!
Old 02-08-2023, 07:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Yes, most likely! This is the reason why I don't really care if I speak to the service manager via phone or not. He's just going to blow smoke up my a$$. I don't want anything from him - I wouldn't take a free oil change, etc. I also sent Acura the email I sent him, along with comments on my service survey. I will never go back to that dealership! I already plan to drive an extra 20 minutes for my next warranty service visit!

yeah, I only use dealer when I must: warranty or specific maintenance item I can not do myself.
Old 02-08-2023, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by Midwestuser1
The Service Dept. is where most (all??) dealership make their $$ today. For each customer that turns down the stupid expensive maintenance items, there are probably as many or more that agree to have the service done or at least part of it. Service Advisors are in fact sales people and try to upsell whatever they can when you may have only come in for a simple oil change or even warranty work - they are selling services, not the car. This is not an Acura only thing as have seen the same at Honda / Toyota / Lexus and even independent shops. Had an independent shop tell me I needed to replace my spark plugs because my TL-S had over 105K miles on it. Sure, why not change them again, when I had these done at 97K.
I bought a 2020 RDX from friends at the end of their lease and brought it to the local Acura dealer as it was due for an oil change. I think the oil change was roughly $69 (I know, but was going to drive 600 miles home) and while waiting, I got a text from the Dealership / Service Advisor saying that it was due for it's 30K service and it was only going to cost me $1300.....................
Old 02-08-2023, 08:00 AM
Suzuka Master

They can recommend stuff all they want, you can just decline it. What pisses me off is when they lie, like “your filter is dirty” when you personally replaced it few weeks back. That should be unacceptable for authorized dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
ABP_04TL (02-15-2023), NBP04TL4ME (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 08:17 AM

^^^^^ 100% agreed
Old 02-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
I had this happen to me also, I had changed my air/cabin filters about a month prior and the service tech came to me holding one that was dirty and old and said it was from my car and wanted $100+ to replace them. I said wow really, take me to my car and show me the empty filter box then. He started stammering and said uh uh let me doublecheck something and left. He came back and said sorry, that was actually from another car. There was an older couple in the waiting room with me and I told them to watch out for this place and I never went back once I was able (this incident was the icing on the cake, as I had been through a lot with this dealership but had to keep going back because of warranty work).
Old 02-08-2023, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ESHBG
I had this happen to me also, I had changed my air/cabin filters about a month prior and the service tech came to me holding one that was dirty and old and said it was from my car and wanted $100+ to replace them.......
That's pretty ballsy / brazen.
Old 02-08-2023, 09:59 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
I had this happen to me also, I had changed my air/cabin filters about a month prior and the service tech came to me holding one that was dirty and old and said it was from my car and wanted $100+ to replace them. I said wow really, take me to my car and show me the empty filter box then. He started stammering and said uh uh let me doublecheck something and left. He came back and said sorry, that was actually from another car. There was an older couple in the waiting room with me and I told them to watch out for this place and I never went back once I was able (this incident was the icing on the cake, as I had been through a lot with this dealership but had to keep going back because of warranty work).
One time I was "advised" that cabin filter is dirty and has to be replaced. I asked how did they know since my glove box was locked (I did not want them to see what I had there).
ESHBG (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Pro

This experience is almost identical to mine! I don't plan on ever using that crappy dealership again! I am not cheap, and I am willing to spend the money to have things replaced when necessary. However, lying to me about this really pisses me off!
ESHBG (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 10:44 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Clickit02
One time I was "advised" that cabin filter is dirty and has to be replaced. I asked how did they know since my glove box was locked (I did not want them to see what I had there).
That's absolutely HILARIOUS!!!! What did they say when you asked?
Old 02-08-2023, 11:12 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
That's absolutely HILARIOUS!!!! What did they say when you asked?
Without even missing a bit, adviser said technician made assumption based on engine air filter condition. My reply was: Yeah, right. I was born at night but it was not the last night. BTW, that filter I personally changed about 2-3K miles prior.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:03 PM

Question - if they had your fob, wouldn't they be able to unlock the glove box to check the filter?? I understand that it's an extra step and give them pause for thought, but they could have checked the filter, right?
Old 02-08-2023, 12:31 PM
Pro

Without even missing a bit, adviser said technician made assumption based on engine air filter condition. My reply was: Yeah, right. I was born at night but it was not the last night. BTW, that filter I personally changed about 2-3K miles prior.
Just out of curiosity, which Acura dealership did this occur at? I also am from the Chicago burbs area. I'm wondering if it's the same dealership..
chgowsox (03-12-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:35 PM
Pro

I may be in the minority here, but I also think the "B" service (aside from the oil change and whatever number pops-up on the MID) is a COMPLETE waste of money. They charge $200 to clean and lube the brakes. Seriously? I always skip on the "B" part too. I just do an oil change and the number that pops-up.

Although, my dealership charged me $3.00 yesterday for windshield washer fluid (less than a 1/4 of fluid required). So, I guess the outrageous price is expected. I wish I had seen the washer fluid charge though, every other dealership tops off as a complimentary service. Desperate times, I guess!
Old 02-08-2023, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Dealers can be real hit and miss as can private shops so which one you use really depends on what options you have. My dealer (Burrard Acura) is conveniently located for me (right by my work) but more importantly they've never pushed extra work on my car and have been super solid in terms of communication and service. They call me an Uber as needed at no cost to me both to and from the dealer (if I'm not at my office) and it's nice place to hang out when needed so even though they cost about 10-15% more than a private shop I find the extra cost worth it. So shop around and see how you like your options.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:06 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by supafamous
Dealers can be real hit and miss as can private shops so which one you use really depends on what options you have. My dealer (Burrard Acura) is conveniently located for me (right by my work) but more importantly they've never pushed extra work on my car and have been super solid in terms of communication and service. They call me an Uber as needed at no cost to me both to and from the dealer (if I'm not at my office) and it's nice place to hang out when needed so even though they cost about 10-15% more than a private shop I find the extra cost worth it. So shop around and see how you like your options.
Definitely! I've been checking out reviews on two other Acura's further, but not too far. They both look really good, so I will give one of those a try next oil change.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:00 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
I may be in the minority here, but I also think the "B" service (aside from the oil change and whatever number pops-up on the MID) is a COMPLETE waste of money. They charge $200 to clean and lube the brakes. Seriously? I always skip on the "B" part too. I just do an oil change and the number that pops-up.

Although, my dealership charged me $3.00 yesterday for windshield washer fluid (less than a 1/4 of fluid required). So, I guess the outrageous price is expected. I wish I had seen the washer fluid charge though, every other dealership tops off as a complimentary service. Desperate times, I guess!
I was happy my service advisor warned me about the expensive brake clean and lube when I first mentioned the B16 service when I went in for my last service and basically told me I could just save that money. Also in the Chicago area. I have found the dealer I go to has been pretty solid so far, both from the sales and service perspective. Not perfect, but nothing off putting so far. I will have to try that locking the glovebox trick to see if they ever present me with a dirty cabin air filter.
Old 02-09-2023, 09:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by subiefanIL83
I was happy my service advisor warned me about the expensive brake clean and lube when I first mentioned the B16 service when I went in for my last service and basically told me I could just save that money. Also in the Chicago area. I have found the dealer I go to has been pretty solid so far, both from the sales and service perspective. Not perfect, but nothing off putting so far. I will have to try that locking the glovebox trick to see if they ever present me with a dirty cabin air filter.
Which dealership do you use? I am trying to find a "reputable" one. I'm willing to travel if need be.
Old 02-10-2023, 12:02 AM
Advanced

Which dealership do you use? I am trying to find a "reputable" one. I'm willing to travel if need be.
I've been using Mcgrath in Libertyville. If you decide to try, hopefully you'll have a good experience. Your mileage can always vary.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:49 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by subiefanIL83
I've been using Mcgrath in Libertyville. If you decide to try, hopefully you'll have a good experience. Your mileage can always vary.
That is the dealership I am referring to! Honestly, just watch the upselling. Also, if you can get over the high-school service advisors, I guess that works. I am going to go to the Acura in Highland Park next service visit. They have good reviews.
chgowsox (03-12-2023)
Old 02-10-2023, 12:22 PM
Advanced

That is the dealership I am referring to! Honestly, just watch the upselling. Also, if you can get over the high-school service advisors, I guess that works. I am going to go to the Acura in Highland Park next service visit. They have good reviews.
Mileage really does vary when it comes to dealer service, as well as expectations. I always assume there will be an attempted upsell of something and that I will be disappointed with something at some point. It is up to me as an owner to really be educated on what is needed/required for my car regarding service. I'd love to think that all service departments are honest, but they are also in the business to make money for the dealership. Sounds like you are making the best decision for you and I hope everything turns out well at the new place you try.