Considering 2021 RDX, limp mode, loss of power still an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 11:31 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure how much I care about carplay/android auto. My phone is almost always in airplane mode when I'm driving. Good navigation is important however. I still use a garmin (DS 65) in the accord. It's a nice 7" display that's can be connected to the phone if I need traffic data, otherwise it picks up some type of radio traffic. My biggest concern is longevity of the 4 cyl turbo. Lots of reviews say this engine falls flat on its face after ~5500 rpm, long before any redline.

Having test driven 4 or 5 of these now, i'm just not in complete awe of the vehicle. Maybe 70% in. One of the test drives involved a winding road at high way speeds. So long as on the throttle, the sh-awd did its thing and car turned in well. Significant understeer became apparent as soon as the throttle was eased. Not a driving dynamic I'm used to. I think the sh-awd hides the vehicles weight and heft well, so long as it's engaged. This is something I'd have to get used to as I tend to enjoy corners.

Crunching some numbers, I'd be in the hole for about 28,5 after trade in. It's an acceptable car note. The issue is i'm just not feeling it towards this car to justify the transaction. When I got the G I had several criteria, rwd, 300+ hp, manual, and decent handling. The car checked all those boxes really well making it a much easier decision.
Old 07-02-2021, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts
If you are only in at 70% maybe it’s time to move on…to a sedan…
The following users liked this post:
Showkey (07-03-2021)
Old 07-02-2021, 01:52 PM
Intermediate

The stinger has some appeal too. Decent cargo space for a car. Interior a bit tighter. Around here it's all AWD. I'd have to travel to a southern state to find awd.
Old 07-03-2021, 08:00 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Experienced another limp mode yesterday. Highway speeds, raining and lots of spray from others. Scary but managed to pull off the highway. Turned vehicle off and it restarted ok and kept on going. Called my dealer and they played stupid like last time It occurred about 9 months ago as well as telling me they never heard about it. Want me to bring it in to see if they can duplicate it. Fat chance. Client relations suck. It’s a safety issue imho that’s falling on deaf ears.
Old 07-03-2021, 03:20 PM
Intermediate

^^Isn't there a tsb for the 2019?
Old 07-03-2021, 06:23 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by das1996
^^Isn't there a tsb for the 2019?
I thought so too, but the dealers service advisor said no. No outstanding tsb’s or recalls on my vin. The only ones I had done are the fuel pump which was done the first time I had limp mode and the fiber connector one for the infotainment. Neither did not fix either issue.
Old 07-03-2021, 07:14 PM
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts
Service advisor lied to you. My dealer did the TSB for me when it was released, and that was 2 years after I had my limp mode experience.

TSB 20-053 - MIL is Flashing with Loss of Power
Applies To: 2019-20 RDX - ALL - ALL

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-053.PDF

Last edited by DrWoo; 07-03-2021 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

^^Thanks for linking the updated tsb. That is just disgusting that dealers are not on the same page regarding this issue. Looks like 36K+ 2021 rdx units are affected. The one I was looking at the other day had a build date of 6/21, it's vin doesn't fall in the range of that tsb.

Lets hope this is the final fix to this problem.

Really nothing in the service industry surprises me anymore. One of the sales droid's was touting how good their service dept was when I mentioned I do my own maintenance. I told him don't BS me. I used work as a service writer for a shop. I know what goes on. I try to avoid any service shops as much as possible unless its warranty work.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:29 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by DrWoo
Service advisor lied to you. My dealer did the TSB for me when it was released, and that was 2 years after I had my limp mode experience.

TSB 20-053 - MIL is Flashing with Loss of Power
Applies To: 2019-20 RDX - ALL - ALL

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B20-053.PDF
Yes, thanks for posting that tsb. I will go by the dealer next week with the tsb in hand and see what they have to say. I was told earlier though, no error code or duplication of problem = no fix
Old 07-04-2021, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Hanlon's razor: never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Or ignorance.

To me, it is equally likely, if not more likely, that they did not read, absorb, and retain every TSB for every make, model, and year for every car they sell.

I suggest you re-read the TSB, fulfill it’s requirements, and bring it with you. But leave any acrimony behind.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:02 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Yes, thanks for posting that tsb. I will go by the dealer next week with the tsb in hand and see what they have to say. I was told earlier though, no error code or duplication of problem = no fix

Depends on the dealer, you have to push harder and call corporate number to open a case. The reluctance by dealers to perform this TSB could be for one or two reasons:
1. Warranty reimbursement for TSB requires code reading.
2. warranty reimbursement is not worth their time spent.
Old 07-04-2021, 11:11 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Yeah thanks. This is the first time I’m hearing of a TSB for my car. Since I have a lot of driving to do this summer, I’ll have to reach out to my dealer sooner than later. I wonder if, since they’re doing the work anyway, I could ask them to sub in a Graham Rahal intercooler…
Old 07-04-2021, 06:18 PM
Racer

Waetherman, check out the stickies in this forum, there are at least a dozen TSBs for your 2020. But just because there are TSBs, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a problem with your particular car. I’ve had only a few TSBs done on my 2019.

Last edited by DrWoo; 07-04-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Waetherman (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 06:56 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by russianDude
Depends on the dealer, you have to push harder and call corporate number to open a case. The reluctance by dealers to perform this TSB could be for one or two reasons:
1. Warranty reimbursement for TSB requires code reading.
2. warranty reimbursement is not worth their time spent.
My problem is the Limp mode in the rain issue I am having registers no codes and replacing the intercooler is no small task so now what? The service advisor told me that no code or not being able to duplicate the issue is a non starter. I did call Corporate and it was like talking to a mushroom. I did however file a complaint with the NHTSA.

Last edited by tecwerks; 07-05-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:17 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
just because there are TSBs, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a problem with your particular car.
Oh I see - I think I’m confusing TSB with a recall. I’ve only gotten only one notice from Acura and it was irrelevant to me because I haven’t had the issue (infotainment I think) they were fixing.

So with this limp mode thing, I have to wait until it actually happens before I can get it fixed on Acura’s dime? I don’t like that idea much, considering how serious and potentially dangerous it sounds.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:19 AM
Suzuka Master

My problem is the Limp mode in the rain issue I am having registers no codes and replacing the intercooler is no small task so now what? The service advisor told me that no code or not being able to duplicate the issue is a non starter. I did call Corporate and it was like talking to a mushroom. I did however file a complaint with the NHTSA.
ugh. If it was me, I would take a picture of dashboard with lights when it happens again, ask to speak with service manager, and if practical try different dealer.
most (if not all) limp modes happen without any codes stored upon restart, I dont know what Acura is thinking…. Must be trying to save $$$.
Old 07-05-2021, 07:53 AM
Pro

…. Must be trying to save $$$.
Its always about the money.....:-(
Old 07-05-2021, 08:03 AM
Racer

Lead with the NHTSA complaint and speak to the service manager. I told him I had filed a complaint. I was asked if it has happened again since it was 2 years since my incident, I said no because I’m afraid to drive it in rainy conditions and keep my speed low when it rains. I didn’t have any more pushback after that.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:06 AM
Drifting

Lead with the NHTSA complaint and speak to the service manager. I told him I had filed a complaint. I was asked if it has happened again since it was 2 years since my incident, I said no because I’m afraid to drive it in rainy conditions and keep my speed low when it rains. I didn’t have any more pushback after that.
I was in a huge rainstorm in Florida on I4. The radar was a champ, the car felt totally planted, and I said to myself, whatever you do, no abrupt acceleration.

Worked for me, but that is not how I want to drive a car.

Old 07-05-2021, 08:15 AM
Pro

So did the dealer replace the Intercooler per TSB-20-053? If so, any more issues and are you more confident in driving in full on rain?
Old 07-05-2021, 09:10 AM
Suzuka Master

Anyone noticed that revised TSB added language "normal warranty applies"? I can only imagine how much they will charge for it after warranty runs out...
I think Acura found a way not make this a recall as we initially hopped. Perhaps their lawyers argued that number of failures is too small to be enough for a recall.
The intercooler part was updated, there is also updated programming. There is inherent defect that can surface under specific conditions. Yes, its always about the money. Sadly.

Last edited by russianDude; 07-05-2021 at 09:14 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:18 AM
Pro

Anyone noticed that revised TSB added language "normal warranty applies"? I can only imagine how much they will charge for it after warranty runs out...
I think Acura found a way not make this a recall as we initially hopped. Perhaps their lawyers argued that number of failures is too small to be enough for a recall.
The intercooler part was updated, there is also updated programming. There is inherent defect that can surface under specific conditions
I too noticed that. The specific condition is rain. Imho it’s a definite safety issue. Also notice on this tsb no mention of a referenced error code meaning their is none after it happens.

Last edited by tecwerks; 07-05-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:40 AM
Pro

Ok, rainy days ahead. I bet I can duplicate limp mode real soon….

Old 07-05-2021, 10:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Ok, rainy days ahead. I bet I can duplicate limp mode real soon….

take video with all the lights on the dash once you pull over.
tecwerks (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 10:48 AM
Racer

So did the dealer replace the Intercooler per TSB-20-053? If so, any more issues and are you more confident in driving in full on rain?
Yes, replaced under that TSB. I had the work done back in February, and I’ve only driven on the highway in heavy rain a few times, but so far no issues. In my case, my only limp mode experience was 2-1/2 years ago when I accelerated to avoid another driver who was all over the road. I haven’t had a need for quick acceleration in rainy conditions since, and I may be naive, but I do feel more confident in the vehicle since the TSB was done.
tecwerks (07-05-2021)
Old 07-05-2021, 02:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
take video with all the lights on the dash once you pull over.
Or better yet, just mount a phone or camera pointed at the gauge cluster so you can record the whole thing in action.
Old 07-08-2021, 03:40 PM
Pro

Went to the dealer with tsb 20-053 and was quickly brushed off. Would not do the TSB unless the rain limp mode issue could be duplicated or a code appears. What BS. Really a shame. I’m done with these assholes and moving on. I loved my 2002 cl, 2005 tl. Never one hiccup with those and the service department and personnel were top notch. I could even go into the shop area. Those were the days. Pockets of helpful, knowledgeable and friendly service are behind us. Oh, in the beginning they are nice and overly friendly but I guess that’s to compensate for stupid. I will be offing my RDX to some unsuspecting buyer for big money. Let them deal with the rest of the warranty.
The following 2 users liked this post by tecwerks:
JB in AZ (07-08-2021), leomio2.0 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 03:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
Went to the dealer with tsb 20-053 and was quickly brushed off. Would not do the TSB unless the rain limp mode issue could be duplicated or a code appears. What BS. Really a shame. I’m done with these assholes and moving on. I loved my 2002 cl, 2005 tl. Never one hiccup with those and the service department and personnel were top notch. I could even go into the shop area. Those were the days. Pockets of helpful, knowledgeable and friendly service are behind us. Oh, in the beginning they are nice and overly friendly but I guess that’s to compensate for stupid. I will be offing my RDX to some unsuspecting buyer for big money. Let them deal with the rest of the warranty.
Acura dealerships are so used to having cars that are dead reliable that they seem to be stuck in a world where any problem is either user error or imagined. They used to be scrappy, but now they just seem to be cut-rate and content with letting customers walk.
The following 2 users liked this post by fiatlux:
Leaf 68 (07-08-2021), tecwerks (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:47 PM
Intermediate

@tecwerks Sorry for your experience. Hopefully you can get a decent buck for it.

I tried once more to work a deal but things were just not in aligning. 2021 rdx/advance, $44,2 + ttl+fees. Had to twist arms to get 'em to match carmax on trade. Ok.

Go to test drive the car. Filthy as f?ck including bird droppings that have been there for a while. Looks like it hadn't been washed in ages. 24 miles on the odo. We try to go through the car wash..... Twice... Car wash is broken.

I examine car, one of the rear window moldings has a black rubber section that appears shredded. Salesman says we can fix that no problem, just replace the part. I say nothing. Examining the car further (silver color), there's a bunch of black specs/dots all over the doors, hood, and roof. A few came off with considerable effort. No way was their porter guy going to get 'em all off without damaging the paint. I can't imagine these specs getting on the car from being parked in the lot. The lot is open, no trees or immediate roads near by. The car must have been delivered this way. Given the PDI didn't catch the damaged molding, was there even a PDI done???

I test drive the car. It drove relatively ok except for a strange flutter/vibration at highway speeds - didn't feel like a balance issue as it came and went on steady throttle.. This is not something I experienced in other rdx's test driven. This and the above replaying in my head made me weary of the dealer and car. Something didn't feel right. I passed on this car and at this point I think I will be passing on acura altogether. I'm sure it's a fine car, but not really my cup of tea any more. When I got the infiniti, the car was spotless (granted it was just delivered to the dealership). No damage to anything. Just a whole different experience.

Also, they had another car of the same color/trim. This one had a build date of 8 months ago. Window sticker shows this same dealership as the one receiving it. Why is this car still on the lot.....

For $50K I expect the car to be pristine. The inf was 10 gran less when I bought it 10 years ago while the car shopping experience as a whole seemed more upscale. Infiniti is after all an over glorified nissan just like acura is a honda. Maybe I need to lower my standards these days.
tecwerks (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:48 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
I based my purchase decision for the RDX on several things, one was the reliability that I expected of the brand. It was a shame that my first Acura, my first "Premium/Luxury" brand vehicle had many of these issues that have been mentioned here, and I would give my Acura dealer a 65-70% score, They did perform any TSB that I knew of, for issues that I had experienced. The brake squeal was one that I had mentioned in passing, knowing that Acura was replacing rotors and pads, yet I only heard the squeak once, I think. They replaced them. Had the dash rattle that they tried 2 or 3 times to fix, with poor results...

I probably will not look at Acura again in the future. This RDX just seemed like a beta test, with all the numerous updates to previous fixes (TSBs). We don't get much rain, and I never had the limp mode issue while I had my 19 RDX, , but that would have brought on serious thinking...IF my car hadn't been in a severe accident. Very scary thing to happen in bad weather!

I also believe that the tru-touch pad was a poor idea. I much prefer a touch screen, even though I got very good at using it.
tecwerks (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Drifting

My wife loves her Accord. Now, in retirement, we put maybe 5K miles on it a year.

So it is the Acura that goes when I get my Tesla in a year or two.

(I’m waiting on the Model Y from Texas.)
Old 07-08-2021, 05:43 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
My wife loves her Accord. Now, in retirement, we put maybe 5K miles on it a year.

So it is the Acura that goes when I get my Tesla in a year or two.

(I’m waiting on the Model Y from Texas.)
My wife’s 2013 Accord (purchased in 2012) has 40 something miles on it. I change the oil once a year if it needs it or not, and the last time it had less than 2000 miles in the year. It might not make sense to hold onto it, but there is no compelling reason to get rid of it either. Besides, she loves that car and it really is in pristine condition.

‘’My next car may be an EV of dome sort, but that is in the far future.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:01 PM
Intermediate

^^2.4L NA cvt? That's the same thing we have here only 2015. Great on gas mileage, great for around town, handles ok. Boring on long trips, painful back after 100-150 miles. The caveats tolerable given long trips are not too often.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 PM
Drifting

2014, easy on everything, and she loves it. It is paid for. Might last forever.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
^^2.4L NA cvt? That's the same thing we have here only 2015. Great on gas mileage, great for around town, handles ok. Boring on long trips, painful back after 100-150 miles. The caveats tolerable given long trips are not too often.
Yup. She had a 2003 with the v6 prior. I would have gone with another ), but the way she drives it really wasn’t required. We don’t take it on long trips because we have the RDX and a F-150 (which is the most comfortable on long trips), but we do try to bring it on 100 or 200 mile trips every now and then. I have to admit, it has never been to a dealer except for 1 or 2 minor recall items.
Old 07-08-2021, 08:27 PM
Intermediate

^^Our's had all the recalls done - battery sensor replacement (thingy near the negative terminal), a cvt firmware reflash, and one other I can't recall (I think¿?). As far as breakdowns, the rear wheel bearings were done at about 23K miles earlier this spring (27K now). Hondacare covered the bearings. I do all my own maintenance on it. Everything but the cvt fluid has been replaced at least once. Brake fluid is a pain to do. Have to use a tool to suck fluid rather than pressurizing the master cyl reservoir.

We initially did get the 6cyl - see my comment in post #69. But after that experience we determined dad didn't really need all that power for local driving and the 4 made more sense.

I don't think I can throw the rdx into corners like I can the accord, CG much higher.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Hello.

I'm considering the 2021 rdx, but have been reading about this loss of power issue. Is this still a concern in 2021?

Reading way too many owner's comments has left be rather confused to the point of abandoning buying the car at this time. Some of the other owner complains of rattles, infotainment bugs and other issues appear to also exist but are not as significant IMO as the loss of power.
Don’t do it. It’s a real safety issue that Acura hasn’t completely and properly addressed. There’s actually a class action lawsuit regarding this issue.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:36 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by Acurafangrl
Don’t do it. It’s a real safety issue that Acura hasn’t completely and properly addressed. There’s actually a class action lawsuit regarding this issue.
If you read my earlier posts I have experienced the LM issue 2 times in 9 months to fall on deaf ears at Acura. Its a lease that's ending in 2 months. And yes, the LM is a serious safety issue. I finally reached the end of my rope and plastered the dealers FB page with comments. So yesterday I receive a call from the Sales Manager and he noticed my comments. He offered to get me in a new 2021 Aspec at a lower payment if I lease another. This time I was very calm and explained the issues and then declined his offer. Basically I think he was trying to get my low mileage 2019 A-spec since I am sitting at 7k equity. Also he informed me that the Intercooler kit is on order but no ETA yet. My hopes are high that replacing the Intercooler will finally fix the LM issue. The continuing Infotainment issues I don't really like but can live with it for now.

Last edited by tecwerks; 07-10-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-10-2021, 08:42 AM
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
If you read my earlier posts I have experienced the LM issue 2 times in 9 months to fall on deaf ears at Acura. Its a lease that's ending in 2 months. And yes, the LM is a serious safety issue. I finally reached the end of my rope and plastered the dealers FB page with comments. So yesterday I receive a call from the Sales Manager and he noticed my comments. He offered to get me in a new 2021 Aspec at a lower payment if I lease another. This time I was very calm and explained the issues and then declined his offer. Basically I think he was trying to get my low mileage 2019 A-spec for a steal since I can sell it to carmax for a 7k profit minimum. Also he informed me that the Intercooler kit is on order but no ETA yet. My hopes are high that replacing the Intercooler will finally fix the LM issue. The continuing Infotainment issues I don't really like but can live with it for now.
I’m sorry you had to go through that twice. It’s a real shame. At least your lease is ending soon. The intercooler issue is interesting. When I experienced limp mode (it was not raining that day btw), they told me the problem was due to failure of counter shaft speed sensor. Does that mean I can still experience limp mode due to the intercooler issue? They probably won’t honor that TSB and do the replacement for me since they’d have to replicate the issue?

I still have a while to go on my lease, waiting for the whole chip shortage situation to get better before I try to turn my car in earlier and look into another brand (maybe genesis vs Lexus). Good luck to you
tecwerks (07-10-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Intermediate

Just thought I'd update this as to where i'm at.

Made it this " " close to making a deal on a '21 advance, but didn't feel the right vibe during that last test drive - had doubts if an suv was the right vehicle. Turned out it wasn't. While I got a good deal ($4600 below msrp and reasonable trade value), I walked away. Suv didn't have the right handling for what I was looking for. I realized a car would make me happier.

Sadly, there's few in the midsize class that was in my price range and available. A ct5-v was my first choice, but nowhere to be found, or inflated over msrp prices. Someone suggested I look at a hyundai sonata nline or kia k5 gt. Sure the interior materials are much cheaper, but the drivetrain is quite unique.

2.5L turbo - 290hp, 311 lb ft torque, 8spd wet dct trans, 245/40/19 tires. Good legroom in the rear, 16 cu ft trunk. Really good mpg - 24/32.

Locally I couldn't find any k5 gt's, but did test drive several nlines. The car is quite peppy and handled reasonably well. Took a few on/off ramps at speed and even that was impressive. Reviews on this platform complain of excessive wheel spin due to lack of limited slip diff or awd. I can respect that but also don't see it as much of an issue. I don't drive flooring the car from each stop light trying to get the best 0-60 (which btw is in the mid 5's according to a number of reviews). Quarter mile times are in the upper 13's. The wet dct shifts really fast and smoothly. Turbo lag appeared less than in the rdx. There's a ton of tech inside similar to the advance model, even a 360 deg camera with the gt1 trim.

So looks like this is the car I'm seeking out. Local dealers want $3-4K over msrp. IMO no kia/hyundai is worth that. It's barely worth msrp even IMO. So will hold out until later this year or next year. Buying now yields a good (excellent) trade in value but I pay high sticker price, or buy later, lower trade but more competitive new car pricing. A wash in the end? I'm partial to buying later as the car just came out in early 2021, 2022 models are already out with some improvements, so by the time I buy maybe they'll have even more bugs worked out.

Appearance wise I'm after the kia k5 gt. The sonata nline is slightly cheaper but doesn't come with things like leather (fake) seats, fog lights, 360 deg camera, and some others.

The only other mainstream car that's piqued my interest is the upcoming rwd mazda 6 with the inline 6. But details are sparse and true release date is unknown. Also, if they keep the same ergonomics inside as the current 6, cx5, cx9, then it's deal breaker as I don't fit inside any of those comfortably - center console encroaches on right leg/knee when seat properly adjusted, have same problem with a current model year accord.

kia

hyundai

Quick Reply: Considering 2021 RDX, limp mode, loss of power still an issue?