CMBS Braking System-Near Death Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 11:42 AM
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Angry CMBS Braking System-Near Death Experience

Driving on a major freeway with medium traffic averaging 75-80 mph, I decided to pass a slow vehicle in front of me and return to the same lane I was in. The lane to the right was open and safe for this maneuver if I was quick at it. As I went around him my MBS suddenly switched on and left me without power, stranded between 2 lanes of freeway traffic, it was a nightmare. Luckily the traffic in the lanes slowed for me. Since then I always remember to switch-off that “feature”. Has this ever happened to anyone else here?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:49 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,159 Likes on 1,387 Posts
TBH, the benefits probably outweigh the fringe cases.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:56 AM
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
How can the possibility of death, outweigh the benefits?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:32 PM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Bornpoor2
Driving on a major freeway with medium traffic averaging 75-80 mph, I decided to pass a slow vehicle in front of me and return to the same lane I was in. The lane to the right was open and safe for this maneuver if I was quick at it. As I went around him my MBS suddenly switched on and left me without power, stranded between 2 lanes of freeway traffic, it was a nightmare. Luckily the traffic in the lanes slowed for me. Since then I always remember to switch-off that “feature”. Has this ever happened to anyone else here?
Just wondering (not judging) - were you riding pretty close behind the car you were passing? If so, did you apply throttle before making decisive steering input?
Old 01-07-2020, 12:59 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
And did you use your turn signal when shifting lanes? I’m assuming the MBS you refer to us the road departure mitigation system - I don’t know about manual override through steering but I know that a turn signal overrides it.
The following users liked this post:
Marino Moutafis (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 01:45 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
I have had two instances of the car applying the brakes when unexpected. Once, exiting a freeway (65MPH) with one of the wedge-shaped impact absorbers dIviding the exit lane and the freeway and without using the blinker, on go the brakes and stop goes my heart, I hit the gas knowing there was no-one or nothing right in front of me and that seemed to over-ride it. The second time was just on another part of the same freeway on another day, drifted to the right a little (too much?) over the line (70MPH). Rather than getting the lane departure alert, it just started braking...again, the heart. Neither time was a full lockup, but enough to scare the crap out of me. I think half my panic is someone being close enough behind me to rear end the car, the other half...why is this thing braking!!!!
Old 01-07-2020, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Hitting the gas is supposed to override emergency braking.

The thing is, I know that that is what the manual says, but a) does it always work, and b), my wife, who is the other driver, is not a RTFM person, and I doubt that most drivers are. Yet we consumers want that emergency protection. There must be a better way to notify the driver how to override.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
btw, you can get ticket for passing on the right side if cop sees it. Really hate when people do that. A lot of people dont even know this.
The following users liked this post:
Waetherman (01-08-2020)
Old 01-07-2020, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by russianDude
btw, you can get ticket for passing on the right side if cop sees it. Really hate when people do that. A lot of people dont even know this.
Ahh you must be the guy holding up the passing lane everyday of my life?! How ya doin, man?
Old 01-07-2020, 09:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by theredia92
Ahh you must be the guy holding up the passing lane everyday of my life?! How ya doin, man?
no, left lanes are only for passing or when moving faster than other cars. Passing on left is definitely safer when you have a choice. It makes sense. When you are on the 3 lane highway passing car in the middle lane on the left, as you are completing your maneuver trying to get back into middle lane, you dont want someone to quickly go around the same car from right and prevent you from completing your passing. As you are merging to middle lane from left, some parts of your view falls into blind spot. Maybe you will experience this one day and take a moment to think what is safer.

Old 01-07-2020, 10:41 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by Waetherman
And did you use your turn signal when shifting lanes? I’m assuming the MBS you refer to us the road departure mitigation system - I don’t know about manual override through steering but I know that a turn signal overrides it.
That's a good point. I thought the OP was saying his Collision Mitigation Braking System (CMBS) activated. I suppose this could happen, but it is more likely that the Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) activated when it saw the OP moving out of his lane.Not to be confused with Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS).

I find that many people are not aware of the small differences between RDM and LKAS.

LKAS will operate to keep your vehicle centered within the lines on the roadway.

RDM will not keep you centered, but if your car drifts close to the right side of your lane (for example), it will try to steer you back to the left side of the lane. Without driver input this result in a severe ping ponging effect. If your car should actually cross a lane marker, the system will apply the brakes in order to stop you from going further out of your lane, and into a ditch.

So perhaps you do not have a CMBS problem, but rather an RDM system that behaved correctly if you failed to turn on your direction signals.

The lane to the right was open and safe for this maneuver if I was quick at it.
Perhaps you were a little too quick and forgot to signal?
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 AM
Suzuka Master

If you are too “important” to use signals when changing lanes, you should disable some of the safety systems.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:21 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
no, left lanes are only for passing or when moving faster than other cars. Passing on left is definitely safer when you have a choice. It makes sense. When you are on the 3 lane highway passing car in the middle lane on the left, as you are completing your maneuver trying to get back into middle lane, you dont want someone to quickly go around the same car from right and prevent you from completing your passing. As you are merging to middle lane from left, some parts of your view falls into blind spot. Maybe you will experience this one day and take a moment to think what is safer.
If I had a dollar for the number of times I get the middle finger for flashing my lights at the person going 60 in the left lane, I'd be able to pay for a vacation each year. The U.S. desperately needs a drivers ed refresher course.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:45 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Received 202 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Mustachio
The U.S. desperately needs a drivers ed refresher course.
I couldn't agree more. Getting a license in the US is way too easy, and too many don't really know the rules (or don't follow them). I'm with @russianDude ; I don't like people passing on the right, and I don't pass on the right myself unless someone has repeatedly ignored me flashing my lights. But I also don't stay in the left lane unless I'm going faster than the traffic in the right lane. That said, what really burns my toast is when people come up behind me flashing their lights even though I'm passing people.I'll move to the right when I'm done passing to let faster drivers by, but I'm not going to slow myself down to do that.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
How can the possibility of death, outweigh the benefits?

You risk death every single day of your life. Why bother living?

Old 01-08-2020, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

Just simple things, on a 3 lane highway, if you are in the middle lane and want to pass another car in the middle lane, if both left and right lanes are free, you should always use left lane to overtake.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Did the "BRAKE" notification light up in the instrument panel?
Did you have your indicator on when changing lanes?