CMBS behavior

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2018, 11:53 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CMBS behavior

Hi,

I am new to RDX and it’s CMBS system, I am wondering what would be the normal behavior of Acura’s CMBS system. I basically have the CMBS on all the time, but I don’t understand how this system operates and under what condition it kicks in. I sometimes got the orange break warning sign on the multi display, but pretty rare, I would think the system would kick in more often. I am just wondering if the CMBS system in my car behaves normally and I can count on it. Thx!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:05 PM
MTD
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts
What distance do you have it set at? I find that at the shortest distance, it only intervenes if there is an object right in front for example.
Old 08-09-2018, 03:05 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by MTD
What distance do you have it set at? I find that at the shortest distance, it only intervenes if there is an object right in front for example.
I have the distance set at normal. I will try set it to long to see what will happen.
Old 08-09-2018, 05:35 PM
Cruisin'

I set the distance to long and the system did kick in a lot more often.

So the CMBS may not be helpful for local driving when set to normal or short distance since you are already very close to other vehicle when the system gives out warning or starts to apply breaking, maybe it makes sense for highway driving. I set the distance back to normal since I mostly drive local and don’t want to get warning too often.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:47 PM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
You do know that CMBS is like a last minute “I’m going to try and save you from killing yourself” type of system, right? It only kicks in if the system detects that you are going to get into a collision if it doesn’t intervene.

The orange brake warning is the forward collision warning which uses the camera in the windshield. Either of these systems really shouldn’t be activating if you’re driving properly.
The following users liked this post:
mrgold35 (08-10-2018)
Old 08-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by pnoi521
You do know that CMBS is like a last minute “I’m going to try and save you from killing yourself” type of system, right? It only kicks in if the system detects that you are going to get into a collision if it doesn’t intervene.

The orange brake warning is the forward collision warning which uses the camera in the windshield. Either of these systems really shouldn’t be activating if you’re driving properly.
yes I understand the system is for last minute collision prevention, I just want to know how it operates and its limitations.

First, Acura doesn’t advertise that CMBS can fully stop the vehicle and prevent accident, it is driver’s responsibility to stop the car, but I think in reality the CMBS maybe able to fully stop the vehicle, Acura has to use such language to avoid liability. In any case, the drive shouldn’t rely on CMBS to avoid collision, but if the system gives out warning in very short notice, most drivers might not have enough time to react.

Secondly, the condition for the CMBS to kick in and give out warning is actually quite easily met, like the speed difference between your vehicle and the one in front is 3 mph or more with a chance of collision, I think this can happen quite often for local drive, and I do get a lot of warning when set the distance to long on CMBS.
Old 08-10-2018, 11:12 AM
Registered TL Owner

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts
I actually like the CMBS/FCW system in my previous TLX better. It had a head up warning on dash/windshield and had e-tensioners. The e-tensioners would tighten the seat belts when you buckled up or would pull you back into the seat if you were leaning forward a little and took a fast turn or braked suddenly. The e-tensioner would also tug on your shoulder if you still didn’t take action after the audible and visual warnings, then it would kick in an apply brakes if you still didn’t do anything after it tugged on your seat belt.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
I actually had it kick in on the highway once already. There was an accident a few cars in front of me and I was about to slam my breaks when the system kicked it and slammed my breaks for me. I was stopped almost instantaneously. I was so impressed!