CarPlay frustrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 10:35 AM
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CarPlay frustrations

Not sure if I'm experiencing normal behavior - so I thought I'd reach out to this forum to find out. Each time I start my 2021 RDX up, it takes the system anywhere between 20-45 seconds to recognize my iphone 12 Pro is connected. Once connected, it takes another 30 seconds or so to be able to navigate within the UI - e.g., look for a playlist on Spotify. And then when I finally play a song, I get frequent "buzz" sounds throughout the song for about 2-3 minutes. At times, CarPlay won't even connect and I need to turn the car off and unplug my iphone to start over. All of my other cars have CarPlay available immediately with none of these issues.
Old 04-03-2021, 01:34 PM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Apologies for asking a couple of basic, ground-level questions but:
- Is your iPhone 12 plugged into the console department USB port?
- Is your cable an Apple Mi-Fi certified lightning connector for CarPlay?

I also have an iPhone 12 Pro and it does take about 30 seconds to boot up sometimes. I had similar issues a few months ago, and I rebooted my iPhone and that appeared to clean things up. Matter of fact, whenever I have issues with connectivity (which does not happen often) I shut down my phone and boot up again. I actually reboot my iPhone once a week now, and ever since I've had no issues with CarPlay or connectivity. Not sure if this is the answer for your problem, but just my 2 cents.

Old 04-03-2021, 04:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Vince D
Apologies for asking a couple of basic, ground-level questions but:
- Is your iPhone 12 plugged into the console department USB port?
- Is your cable an Apple Mi-Fi certified lightning connector for CarPlay?

I also have an iPhone 12 Pro and it does take about 30 seconds to boot up sometimes. I had similar issues a few months ago, and I rebooted my iPhone and that appeared to clean things up. Matter of fact, whenever I have issues with connectivity (which does not happen often) I shut down my phone and boot up again. I actually reboot my iPhone once a week now, and ever since I've had no issues with CarPlay or connectivity. Not sure if this is the answer for your problem, but just my 2 cents.
yes, it’s plugged into the console USB port. All of my cables are Apple certified for CP. I’ve tried two apple cables and three quality Anker cables. No difference. I, too, reboot at least once a week.

Another issue that I experience at least once a week, is when starting Waze, it’s frozen on a prior location (even thought Maps and Google Maps work fine). That requires me to disconnect and reconnect to USB.
Old 04-03-2021, 11:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For spotify, I do find that sometimes I won't get audio from it despite getting audio from other apps while in carplay. Just my 2 cents... it comes and goes with Spotify software updates.

The delay, yeah it's a pretty big delay but not too different from my Honda Odyssey (maybe it's the Android system that Honda/Acura uses that's slow to boot?) but I don't have the weird delay with controlling volume on startup or this random electronic beep that I do get w/ the RDX.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
carplay

Exactly the same issue here with only one difference - Acura RDX 2020.
only two things to resolve:
1 As mentioned above- reboot the iphone
2. If it’s not helped- reset Acura system.
The problem appeared after last update...
with Waze- kill waze app on the iphone and start is again from the acura carplay screen.

Last edited by Obolonsky; 04-04-2021 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-04-2021, 08:39 AM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by xandr115
For spotify, I do find that sometimes I won't get audio from it despite getting audio from other apps while in carplay. Just my 2 cents... it comes and goes with Spotify software updates.

The delay, yeah it's a pretty big delay but not too different from my Honda Odyssey (maybe it's the Android system that Honda/Acura uses that's slow to boot?) but I don't have the weird delay with controlling volume on startup or this random electronic beep that I do get w/ the RDX.
So are you saying that you DO have the volume control at startup and the occasional buzz/squelch - at least for the first couple minutes - with your RDX?
Old 04-04-2021, 09:42 AM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I’ve had all kinds of problems with our 2020 RDX and CarPlay. None of these problems exist in our 2020 Lexus. I’ve had the system dropout and had to reset the Acura infotainment system numerous times while using wired CarPlay. I wiped and restored both of our iPhones which seemed to help. We now have consistent wired CarPlay 95% of the time but the Acura still occasionally drops out and needs a hard reset.

I successfully connected a CPLAY2air device to the RDX only to have the RDX not recognize it after turning the vehicle off and back on. The Acura software team is asleep at the wheel!

We will never buy another Acura vehicle...
Old 04-04-2021, 10:13 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
It is recommended that you use a usb extender so as to not wear out the port.

I bought this
Amazon Amazon
and it works well.
The following users liked this post:
Vince D (04-04-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 11:04 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by motif88
I’ve had all kinds of problems with our 2020 RDX and CarPlay. None of these problems exist in our 2020 Lexus. I’ve had the system dropout and had to reset the Acura infotainment system numerous times while using wired CarPlay. I wiped and restored both of our iPhones which seemed to help. We now have consistent wired CarPlay 95% of the time but the Acura still occasionally drops out and needs a hard reset.

I successfully connected a CPLAY2air device to the RDX only to have the RDX not recognize it after turning the vehicle off and back on. The Acura software team is asleep at the wheel!

We will never buy another Acura vehicle...

Yeah - it's a head-scratcher reading about issues with our RDX electronics and infotainment system being that nowadays automobiles are marvels of engineering.

My 2020 Advance (so far) is working well with no issues, but down the road in the next year or two I'm aware of what can crop up now, thanks to the forum. I can deal with some, but knowing I've paid $50K for a vehicle packed with the latest electronics, I need everything to work. If it gets to a point to where I need to continually reboot everything, that is a deal-breaker and I will seek a trade-in (but I will still trade for an Acura and probably a lease)

What's interesting is on my newly leased ILX A-Spec, the built-in wireless CarPlay works flawlessly with my iPhone and it doesn't have half of the whiz-bang electronics of my Advance; but...we will see in a year or so.

Old 04-04-2021, 12:52 PM
Drifting

I had had a lot of issues.

Last February (2020), the Acura contact told me to do a full system factory reset, and that I would have to rebuild my settings. I did, and haven’t had a problem since.
Old 04-04-2021, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
I never have CP issues with our 2020 RDX (v 1.5.1 and iPhone 12 Pro Max). But I only use the Apple Music and Podcast app for audio. It does take.30 seconds or so to connect but it never disconnects and it sounds great.
Old 04-04-2021, 04:15 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Not sure how a usb extender is relevant as the damn connection is rarely made?

The MTBF for a USB port should be in the thousands of connections. Regardless, if the connection (wired or wireless) worked 100% of the time the cable would never be removed. You’re solving for problems that are not the issue.

BTW, I use a usb extender cable in my Lexus to the wireless carplay adapter just because where it is physically positioned. That has nothing to do with “wearing out the port” or connectivity. Adding more connection points to any signal path is usually not the answer to poor connectivity...
Old 04-04-2021, 04:57 PM
Drifting

But potential wear on the port is.

So I added a bit of information.

Do I have to quote TFM for you?
Old 04-04-2021, 08:53 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
It is recommended that you use a usb extender so as to not wear out the port.

I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it works well.
How does having a permanent USB-lightning cable wear out the port? The cable never gets removed from the USB port.
tecwerks (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 07:08 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by madd dog
it is recommended that you use a usb extender so as to not wear out the port.

I bought this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/b0...?ie=utf8&psc=1 and it works well.
lmao
Old 04-05-2021, 07:43 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dstevens10
How does having a permanent USB-lightning cable wear out the port? The cable never gets removed from the USB port.
If you use the extension, it does not wear out the port, and you can use phones or usb sticks when desired for both music and updates.

The manual suggests using an extension cord.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:16 AM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Madd Dog
If you use the extension, it does not wear out the port, and you can use phones or usb sticks when desired for both music and updates.

The manual suggests using an extension cord.
Still LMAO. Most of us leave our USB/Lightning cables plugged in 24/7 and when we remove our iPhones we unplug the lightning side and leave the USB side alone, plugged in forever. Why would I want to use USB stick anyway? Kind of redundant.
JB in AZ (04-05-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 08:05 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
Still LMAO. Most of us leave our USB/Lightning cables plugged in 24/7 and when we remove our iPhones we unplug the lightning side and leave the USB side alone, plugged in forever. Why would I want to use USB stick anyway? Kind of redundant.
I swap out my lightning cable and a USB stick full of hi-rez songs all the time. There are a number of folks on this forum (i.e. audiophiles) who prefer to hear high resolution stereo or multichannel songs in all their glory and the only way to do that is over USB since smartphones don't have the capability.

This is what we do now when they removed our CD/DVD-A player in these newer gen cars.
The following 3 users liked this post by ELIN:
Madd Dog (04-06-2021), markm929 (04-06-2021), Vince D (04-06-2021)
Old 04-06-2021, 09:48 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Originally Posted by ELIN
I swap out my lightning cable and a USB stick full of hi-rez songs all the time. There are a number of folks on this forum (i.e. audiophiles) who prefer to hear high resolution stereo or multichannel songs in all their glory and the only way to do that is over USB since smartphones don't have the capability.

This is what we do now when they removed our CD/DVD-A player in these newer gen cars.
Correct. Same here.

If I'm taking a trip and want to hear my music in all it's hi-rez ELS 3D glory, my USB is popping in and out of the console compartment. I do keep a small Anker Lightning cable attached to the Front Panel USB port to charge my phone when my USB is plugged in the console; and then - when my wife and I are in the car, she'll have her iPhone cable plugged into the one of the USB ports in the back of the console to charge. We've got cables flying everywhere!

When I'm cleaning and detailing the inside of my Advance, I pull out all the cables so I can get into the nooks and crannys without damaging the ports and the cables.

My point is - I swap out cables all the time from all ports...

The following 3 users liked this post by Vince D:
ELIN (04-06-2021), Madd Dog (04-06-2021), markm929 (04-06-2021)