Best thing to happen to the RDX - The new 2025 X3!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2024 | 01:04 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
How was the steering? I find BMW steering to lack any kind of feel or feedback. You were driving a car that costs 20-30% more than the RDX so yeah, it should feel better.

BMW's strength is engine, transmission, and tech. In terms of steering, suspension comfort, and seat comfort, they tend to be lacking.

Acura is almost the polar opposite. Their transmission is the worst, engine is OK, and tech is passable. But steering, suspension comfort, and seat comfort is great.
The G45 steering has been retooled but we won't get any data until the car hits customer's hands in a matter of weeks.

"All versions of the 2025 BMW X3 get a new steering system dubbed EPSapa. The belt-driven unit also features a more direct steering ratio. It can handle higher load forces than the old system, allowing more accurate feedback. The SUV boasts a familiar steering wheel lifted from the iX and i7, and the performance models get a flat-bottomed version. Notably, the new EPSapa system allows for automated driving implementations – more on that later, perhaps. Naturally, the car features driving modes that can tighten up the steering and make it even more precise."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/04/14/2...ssis-and-more/
Old 08-07-2024 | 01:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ELIN
The G45 steering has been retooled but we won't get any data until the car hits customer's hands in a matter of weeks.

"All versions of the 2025 BMW X3 get a new steering system dubbed EPSapa. The belt-driven unit also features a more direct steering ratio. It can handle higher load forces than the old system, allowing more accurate feedback. The SUV boasts a familiar steering wheel lifted from the iX and i7, and the performance models get a flat-bottomed version. Notably, the new EPSapa system allows for automated driving implementations – more on that later, perhaps. Naturally, the car features driving modes that can tighten up the steering and make it even more precise."

https://www.bmwblog.com/2024/04/14/2...ssis-and-more/
"Tighten up" and "precise" have never been issues. The only problem has been feedback and they have been flipflopping between saying that "customers prefer the no feedback steering" to "this updated steering will have better feedback", only to pivot back to "customers prefer the no feedback steering" once the model is actually released and no one can feel any improvement in feedback. I've heard that same story on and on since 2012 and at this point it's like BMW crying "wolf wolf". Of course, they will never be able to fix their suspensions either. Their cars are either boat-like or rock hard.

Pre-2012 (for 3 series, you have to go back farther for 5 and 7) their cars handled like they were on rails at all speeds. You didn't have to drive like a maniac to enjoy a different level of driving experience, than say a Toyota--you could feel it even in a parking lot. Now they are no different than a Toyota until they are pushed, and let's be realistic, how many people are going to push an SUV? If all you're looking for is gunning from 0-60, go electric/Tesla and call it a day.

The RDX is way more fun than an X3 for daily driving because of the steering and suspension. The transmission really sucks, though, and that is one thing Acura should focus on fixing.

Last edited by anoop; 08-07-2024 at 01:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
quikj (08-12-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

The RDX is way more fun than an X3 for daily driving because of the steering and suspension. The transmission really sucks, though, and that is one thing Acura should focus on fixing.
I think the transmission and brakes on the RDX really sap all the fun out of the car - the brake pedal is far too soft so it's difficult to modulate through pressure and the transmission programming is just horrid for fun. It's never in the right gear coming off corners and lags on downshifts all the time. I don't really think of the RDX as a "sporty" car, it has sporting intentions (stiff suspension, sharp looks) but the controls are so disjointed that it's a frustrating car to drive swiftly.
The following 2 users liked this post by supafamous:
anoop (08-07-2024), ELIN (08-07-2024)
Old 08-07-2024 | 03:32 PM
Drifting

"Tighten up" and "precise" have never been issues. The only problem has been feedback and they have been flipflopping between saying that "customers prefer the no feedback steering" to "this updated steering will have better feedback", only to pivot back to "customers prefer the no feedback steering" once the model is actually released and no one can feel any improvement in feedback. I've heard that same story on and on since 2012 and at this point it's like BMW crying "wolf wolf". Of course, they will never be able to fix their suspensions either. Their cars are either boat-like or rock hard.

Pre-2012 (for 3 series, you have to go back farther for 5 and 7) their cars handled like they were on rails at all speeds. You didn't have to drive like a maniac to enjoy a different level of driving experience, than say a Toyota--you could feel it even in a parking lot. Now they are no different than a Toyota until they are pushed, and let's be realistic, how many people are going to push an SUV? If all you're looking for is gunning from 0-60, go electric/Tesla and call it a day.

My current xDrive30i has no issues weaving in and out of lanes despite being a 4 cylinder (best 4 cylinder I've ever owned to date!). I couldn't say the same about my departed TLX A-Spec SHAWD. I would imagine driving an RDX A-Spec would have been about the same seeing as how it was only 25 lb heavier than my previous car.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=401857798
Old 08-08-2024 | 07:12 AM
Pro

Acura has made a mistake for not making the same changes to the infotainment system in the RDX as they made in the MDX. This will be a hard pass for me to update to the newest model. I will be shopping elsewhere. Acura, it was fun while it lasted.
Old 08-08-2024 | 07:19 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Originally Posted by Shadow2056
I'd have to see it in person to say it's cheap.
Mini did the same eco interior on the 2025. It is funky but definitely doesn't feel cheap.
GF ended up getting it to replace her previous 2024 X6 to cut the payment and for other reasons...
she loves the Mini and it is mind blowing how many similarities there are between the Mini and BMW.
That said, I would have preferred the interior of previous gen but styling of the new exterior.

Debating phantom sales across brands and whether or not something is good looking is an exercise
in futility. I think the X3 looks cool...X7 is pretty gorgeous...X4 has odd proportions....X6 grew on me as
a spaceship and the X5 has the perfect proportions.
Old 08-08-2024 | 10:00 AM
Burning Brakes

How was the steering? I find BMW steering to lack any kind of feel or feedback. You were driving a car that costs 20-30% more than the RDX so yeah, it should feel better.

BMW's strength is engine, transmission, and tech. In terms of steering, suspension comfort, and seat comfort, they tend to be lacking.

Acura is almost the polar opposite. Their transmission is the worst, engine is OK, and tech is passable. But steering, suspension comfort, and seat comfort is great.
To me the steering and suspension on the X3 M40i was great. More controlled than the RDX. The brakes are next level. However, everyone has different preferences.

I wish Acura would have make a type S RDX, change the dash to digital (similar to the MDX), brembo brakes, better tires, slightly lowered suspension, some specific inside/outside trim and add more HP/torque through a tune. All those parts they currently have - so it would of been an easy change.
Old 08-14-2024 | 04:47 PM
4th Gear

Would love a new RDX this year but the touch pad is a non- starter! Will wait till next year or look at the GV70
Old 08-14-2024 | 04:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by svanhorn
Would love a new RDX this year but the touch pad is a non- starter! Will wait till next year or look at the GV70
There won't be any updates next year.
Old 08-25-2024 | 04:43 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by svanhorn
Sadly, that was one of the main things that pushed me from the RDX to the GV70. I cannot deal with a touchpad being a lefty. The GV70 control knob fits so nicely in my hand so that was what I was really hoping to see in the latest RDX.
Old 08-29-2024 | 04:10 PM
Advanced

I'ts an ugly one just like the CX-70... I'd have to go RDX or GV70.
Old 10-05-2024 | 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

M50 393hp 428tq 27mpg combined
X30 255hp and 295tq 30mpg combined
Good mpg numbers

Last edited by MikeDL; 10-05-2024 at 04:25 PM.