Bad sensor or software update glitch possibly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2021 | 07:24 AM
Pro

Bad sensor or software update glitch possibly?

Hello,

I have a 21' ASpec, and after updating my system software on Saturday, I am getting a periodic "Warning System Detected an Obstacle" message popping up on the dashboard. I never had this issue prior to the system update, so I am wondering if it's a software glitch or a bad sensor?

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time replicating it, as it just pops up while driving when there is nothing around me that it could detect as an obstacle. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what was the fix?

Thanks so much!
Old 12-06-2021 | 07:39 AM
Skeptic

I've had it happen repeatedly in the rain and especially snow. Usually stops happening after stopping and turning the car off.

Or, you might have a wet leaf or other debris stuck over the sensor.
Old 12-06-2021 | 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Doubt its related to software update. Make sure acura logo is clean.
If still happens, take it to the dealer, they might be able to run diagnostics on it and recalibrate
Old 12-06-2021 | 05:33 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by swttsx007
I have a 21' ASpec, and after updating my system software on Saturday, I am getting a periodic "Warning System Detected an Obstacle" message popping up on the dashboard. I never had this issue prior to the system update, so I am wondering if it's a software glitch or a bad sensor?
Originally Posted by russianDude
Doubt its related to software update. Make sure acura logo is clean.
Can you clarify if the warning is from the "park assist" system, which uses the sensors in the bumper, or is it from the Collision Mitigation and Braking System (CMBS) which would make use of the radar transceiver located behind the Acura logo?

If it is the parking assist sensors, does the beeping stop when you turn off the system with the button?. Does the the display indicate which of the 4 front, or 4 back sensors is causing the problem?

I also believe that the system disables itself when driving any faster than walking speed to avoid nuisance alarms from road spray etc. It would be unexpected for the alarm to activate when you are driving at speed.
Old 12-07-2021 | 06:37 AM
Advanced

The front parking sensors are overly sensitive and had to turn them off. Puddles, leaves blowing, other cars even when driving. Water from overnight rains like to freeze in the honeycomb sensor areas. Etc.
Old 12-07-2021 | 07:17 AM
Pro

So, the vehicle was clean at the time of this issue. I did, however, wash it again last night just to make sure. It didn't do it this morning at all, so I'm not sure what it was picking up on my drive to work yesterday morning. If it does it again, I'll take it to Acura.

On a side-note, I am also getting the horrible brake squeal in the mornings now. I didn't hear it at all over the spring/summer months, but now that it's cold out (Midwest), I am getting it for about 5 minutes, then it stops after driving. Guess that will also be an Acura issue to be look at.

Thanks all!
Old 12-07-2021 | 08:05 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I would take it to the dealer - that’s what warranties are for. Take a pic of the warning if you can though to prove the problem exists - depending on the dealer they may not care otherwise.