Apply TSB for 2019’s to my 2020?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 06:26 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Apply TSB for 2019’s to my 2020?

How exclusive are TSBs? While perusing the TSB section, stumbled across:

TSB 21-003 - Rattling or Clicking from the Panoramic Glass Roof

Initially, I thought it was the rear cargo rattle that came back. Added lining between the rear cargo floor and the storage area and the rattling went away for a few months. Then it seemingly came back. After seeing that TSB last night, I had the wifey drive the car while I sat in the back on roads I knew it made noise. Retracted the sunshade and stuck my ear in the area of the fixed glass and it’s 100% coming from the glass area. I’ll be taking it in for the LCA TSB. Will I get pushback from this as it only applies to 2019s? It seems the TSB was just released this year, so I’d assume they didn’t catch this issue until recently so 2020s were likely affected too.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
How exclusive are TSBs? While perusing the TSB section, stumbled across:

TSB 21-003 - Rattling or Clicking from the Panoramic Glass Roof

Initially, I thought it was the rear cargo rattle that came back. Added lining between the rear cargo floor and the storage area and the rattling went away for a few months. Then it seemingly came back. After seeing that TSB last night, I had the wifey drive the car while I sat in the back on roads I knew it made noise. Retracted the sunshade and stuck my ear in the area of the fixed glass and it’s 100% coming from the glass area. I’ll be taking it in for the LCA TSB. Will I get pushback from this as it only applies to 2019s? It seems the TSB was just released this year, so I’d assume they didn’t catch this issue until recently so 2020s were likely affected too.
I think if you called your dealer and brought it up they wouldn't care what year your model was and would be agreeable to applying the fixes.

Also, unrelated, but your wife must be a saint. I can't imagine many wives who would agree to go out at night to drive their husband in the back seat crouching with their ear up to the roof of the car over bumpy back roads. That was a hilarious picture.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (01-19-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 09:20 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
A TSB is usually created when a frequent problem is discovered in a vehicle. A company, Honda in this case, loses money when it's mechanics spend a lot of time, and install unneeded parts, attempting to resolve a problem.

By creating a TSB, the mechanics at a dealership can fix the problem very quickly, without wasting time diagnosing the problem, or installing parts that do not help.

In other words there is nothing secret or mysterious about a TSB. It is simply a documented repair process designed to save the car company time and money.

If the symptoms of your problem match those in the TSB, even if your vehicle is not among the model years listed, then the mechanic would be crazy not to follow the repair procedure laid out in the TSB.

If he is one of those crazy mechanics, and decides to change other parts, then the repair might require several visits, but you are going to get a lot of new parts for free (as long as your warranty is still in effect).

And that is another thing to remember about TSB's. The TSB is just a repair procedure. The repair is only free if the defective part is still under warranty. If the warranty has expired, the mechanic can still follow the TSB procedure, but you will still have to pay for the out of warranty repair.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
The TSB bulletins usually list applicable model years and/or vin numbers. Newer models usually get this corrected at the factory, so TSB is no longer applicable.
Old 01-19-2021, 07:02 AM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Received 381 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by DriverOne
I think if you called your dealer and brought it up they wouldn't care what year your model was and would be agreeable to applying the fixes.

Also, unrelated, but your wife must be a saint. I can't imagine many wives who would agree to go out at night to drive their husband in the back seat crouching with their ear up to the roof of the car over bumpy back roads. That was a hilarious picture.
LOL. She actually gave me a weird look when I laid out the game plan of what we were gonna do. When we started going and I was all over the back seat like a Labrador listening for the noise, I had to shush her multiple times because she was cracking up so much. Yes, thankfully nobody else was on the road in the short drive. =P

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
A TSB is usually created when a frequent problem is discovered in a vehicle. A company, Honda in this case, loses money when it's mechanics spend a lot of time, and install unneeded parts, attempting to resolve a problem.

By creating a TSB, the mechanics at a dealership can fix the problem very quickly, without wasting time diagnosing the problem, or installing parts that do not help.

In other words there is nothing secret or mysterious about a TSB. It is simply a documented repair process designed to save the car company time and money.

If the symptoms of your problem match those in the TSB, even if your vehicle is not among the model years listed, then the mechanic would be crazy not to follow the repair procedure laid out in the TSB.

If he is one of those crazy mechanics, and decides to change other parts, then the repair might require several visits, but you are going to get a lot of new parts for free (as long as your warranty is still in effect).

And that is another thing to remember about TSB's. The TSB is just a repair procedure. The repair is only free if the defective part is still under warranty. If the warranty has expired, the mechanic can still follow the TSB procedure, but you will still have to pay for the out of warranty repair.
True true. I'm just preparing for the worst of possibly going in, them not being able to replicate the problem and when referencing the TSB, them saying it only applies to the 2019 models of the specified VIN#s in that TSB. I hear it while driving all the time and was able to pinpoint it. The wife heard the rear cargo rattle only after I pointed it out. While driving around last night, she claims she couldn't hear anything. Maybe I am a Labrador ...

Originally Posted by russianDude
The TSB bulletins usually list applicable model years and/or vin numbers. Newer models usually get this corrected at the factory, so TSB is no longer applicable.
I thought that as well, but the TSB came out in 2021. I'd suspect they wouldn't have come out with a fix for the 2020 MYs if the TSB wasn't released until this year. Perhaps they got a certain batch of frames with a certain spec for the effected vehicles and figured they'd be the only ones running into the issue. Or maybe I've just gone insane hearing rattles that aren't there. O_o

I'll update with results.

Last edited by leomio85; 01-19-2021 at 07:04 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:23 AM
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio85
LOL. She actually gave me a weird look when I laid out the game plan of what we were gonna do. When we started going and I was all over the back seat like a Labrador listening for the noise, I had to shush her multiple times because she was cracking up so much. Yes, thankfully nobody else was on the road in the short drive. =P
I just pictured you going to her and saying "guess where I'm taking you tonight?" And she's all interested and a long pause, followed by you holding up car keys and saying "...some back roads with pot holes, you're driving."
The following users liked this post:
leomio85 (01-19-2021)