Apple Car Play connection issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 07:17 AM
Drifting

Received 1,259 Likes on 914 Posts
Originally Posted by russianDude
Can you try starting your car and driving without ever pluging in your phone for 5 min or so, while car is running, plug in, see if car play works.
I noticed a pattern, if I connect phone shortly after car is started, it works, but if I do it later it may not always work.
I've had more issues on my TLX after the update as well. I have another suggestion related to your post:

If you are going in reverse quickly after starting up the car, either out of a garage or out of a parking space, you haven't let the system fully boot up. Even though the garage door is open, I try to back out of the garage as quickly as possible because of CO buildup. This normally doesn't allow for proper bootup (which is slooooow!).

I believe the CP works all the time if the system had the proper boot up time. This absolutely means the backup camera shouldn't have been engaged while the system was booting up!
The following users liked this post:
Baconsoup (11-08-2021)
Old 03-03-2021, 07:22 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 704 Likes on 546 Posts
Interesting observation. I do back out of the garage before system fully boots sometimes. I need to see if this pattern of usage has something to do with connecting car play.

Last edited by russianDude; 03-03-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
I've had more issues on my TLX after the update as well. I have another suggestion related to your post:

If you are going in reverse quickly after starting up the car, either out of a garage or out of a parking space, you haven't let the system fully boot up. Even though the garage door is open, I try to back out of the garage as quickly as possible because of CO buildup. This normally doesn't allow for proper bootup (which is slooooow!).

I believe the CP works all the time if the system had the proper boot up time. This absolutely means the backup camera shouldn't have been engaged while the system was booting up!
I realize this discussion is about Apple CarPlay, but I am also having recent connection issues with Android Auto, since 1.5.1. In regards to AA, yes, I do back out of the garage quickly, and 80% (guess) of the time AA starts fine, even while back up camera is displayed. Then during the day, when I am out and about, it also starts fine even if I haven't waited until the system has fully booted. I have also had AA not connect when I do wait until the system has fully booted.

Not trying to rain on your ideas, just adding an observation from another RDX owner, who is getting tired of the RDX infotainment issues. The engineers' lack of fully testing before sending out an update is getting old.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
I realize this discussion is about Apple CarPlay, but I am also having recent connection issues with Android Auto, since 1.5.1. In regards to AA, yes, I do back out of the garage quickly, and 80% (guess) of the time AA starts fine, even while back up camera is displayed. Then during the day, when I am out and about, it also starts fine even if I haven't waited until the system has fully booted. I have also had AA not connect when I do wait until the system has fully booted.

Not trying to rain on your ideas, just adding an observation from another RDX owner, who is getting tired of the RDX infotainment issues. The engineers' lack of fully testing before sending out an update is getting old.
In another thread, it was mentioned that AA may have it's own issue rooted all the way back to Google. So probably not related to CP issues I think.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:20 AM
Suzuka Master

Is it the same issue for android when car does not recognize that phone is connected? This seems so fundamental. Maybe if its related to using rear camera before system boots, if we can find a way to reproduce it, the dealer might provide info to Acura to fix it....
Old 03-03-2021, 09:47 AM
Drifting

In another thread, it was mentioned that AA may have it's own issue rooted all the way back to Google. So probably not related to CP issues I think.
Yes, I did read that, and did the only update that was available to me. Thx. The reason I posted in this thread...there seems to be a common denominator here...the RDX. I don't have the same issues on any other car I have ever used AA on, and the current sporadic NON-connect issues with AA started after the latest RDX update 1.5.1. Wondering if the CP issues also started with 1.5.1. Honestly, I haven't been following CP.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Yes, I did read that, and did the only update that was available to me. Thx. The reason I posted in this thread...there seems to be a common denominator here...the RDX. I don't have the same issues on any other car I have ever used AA on, and the current sporadic NON-connect issues with AA started after the latest RDX update 1.5.1. Wondering if the CP issues also started with 1.5.1. Honestly, I haven't been following CP.
I have a TLX and I have the same wonky CP issues after the latest update.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:03 AM
Suzuka Master

I have a TLX and I have the same wonky CP issues after the latest update.
Is your issue that car would not recognize that car play should be connected?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:04 AM
Drifting

Is your issue that car would not recognize that car play should be connected?
Yes.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes.

So you noticed that CarPlay would not connect if you engaged rear view camera before system fully boots and then you tried to plug in your phone?
Why do we have to do all the testing for Acura
Old 03-06-2021, 07:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I did second factory rest on my infoteinment system, so far its been good. I am afraid to customize any settings. Time will tell if it resolved CarPlay issue.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:47 PM
Suzuka Master

You might be onto something with engaging rear camera before infotainment fully boots. I am now waiting for it to fully boot before backing out from the garage, and it has been connecting fine later on.
ELIN (03-07-2021)
Old 03-08-2021, 06:11 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
You might be onto something with engaging rear camera before infotainment fully boots. I am now waiting for it to fully boot before backing out from the garage, and it has been connecting fine later on.
yep. Treat it like an 8086 running DOS, and you will be (kinda) OK.
Old 03-08-2021, 08:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
yep. Treat it like an 8086 running DOS, and you will be (kinda) OK.
Lol. The older DOS actually worked much better than this junk Java crap written by cheap developers from Bangladesh. They should be focusing on stability, not the graphics gimmics.

I am testing it, the only time I have problems connecting car play if I back-out before system fully boots — there is a good chance when I connect car play later, it will not connect.
I am pretty sure its a new bug they introduced.
If someone wants to try it, see if you backout before system fully boots and than couple minutes later try connecting your phone to use CarPlay.

Alexrx (04-12-2021)
Old 03-13-2021, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Interesting, I was noticing that if I plugged in my phone later... odds were higher that I’d have connection issues. It’s possible I was popping into reverse as well on those circumstances. I don’t notice it as often leaving home since I back up my driveway...

Will keep an eye out on this one. Thanks!
Old 03-13-2021, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by xandr115
Interesting, I was noticing that if I plugged in my phone later... odds were higher that I’d have connection issues. It’s possible I was popping into reverse as well on those circumstances. I don’t notice it as often leaving home since I back up my driveway...

Will keep an eye out on this one. Thanks!

I pretty much confirmed it. If you let your system fully boot before hitting reverse and backing out, the car play connects no problem later on. Its a bug
Old 03-13-2021, 01:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Could this be general USB issue (either enumeration interaction with reverse or general startup issue with reverse)? I notice over 1/2 the time that I have USB flash in driver that it gets stuck on initializing if inserted during reverse/startup. Same type of issue with carplay.
Old 03-14-2021, 05:56 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
I pretty much confirmed it. If you let your system fully boot before hitting reverse and backing out, the car play connects no problem later on. Its a bug
If I said once I have said it 1000 times since I purchased my RDX two and half years ago and still have the same types of issues. The Infotainment system is either processor underpowered (1st choice) BUS issues, maybe both or the software is poorly implemented. The system cannot spit and chew gum at the same time. Having to coddle the process of starting a 50k car just to not have Audio system issues is ridiculous.

I found zero infotainment issues when I tested the system how I normally start and drive in a 2022 MDX for over 2 hours.

Last edited by tecwerks; 03-14-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Madd Dog (03-15-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:17 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Apple car play in an Acura just sucks
and Acuralink is lost on the issue
Very frustrating company to work with
hope Volvo is better
tecwerks (04-10-2021)
Old 04-12-2021, 06:49 PM
Intermediate

A couple years ago I had a hard time connecting my iPhone consistently to a CarPlay enabled stereo. I took a closer look at the lightning port and could see some lint in there. So I got a toothpick and pulled it out. To my surprise there was a lot of lint packed down in there from carrying my phone in my pocket. Afterwards, the phone connected fine every time. I hope that helps.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:40 AM
4th Gear

Apple CarPlay +RDX = constant headache

I have a 2020 RDX and iphone 12. All software is up to date. Cable is authentic Apple and has been replaced (just in case). CarPlay does not connect 25% of the time I use the car. It's extremely frustrating and the only way of resolving it is to turn off the engine, open the door to stop the RDX software and to start up the car again. This is my first Acura and I'm extremely disappointed in the software quality. Screen load is way to slow when you start the car and the CarPlay issue is extremely annoying. Luxury Car? I don't think so...
Old 08-05-2021, 07:05 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
After updating to 1.5.1, I started getting occasional issues of not being able to connect to apple car play. I would connect my phone, and apple car play would be greyed out, as if car does not realize phone is connected. It happens often enough (30% of time). The only way to resolve is to reboot infoteinment or shutdown car so infoteinment is off. I have apple usb cable, same one I used before update. This seems to be new in 1.5.1, as I never had this issue before. I tried factory reset, re-pairing phone, and issue is still there.
I have iphone XS max, with latest ios. Its the same iphone I used before update.
anyone else have this issue?
Had same issue you mention but don't think it's fully software related. I replaced cable with new non-apple cable and rebooted system. Hasn't given me any issues since doing so.

Old 08-05-2021, 09:03 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jgelman
Luxury Car? I don't think so...
You're correct. Acura is a premium brand, not luxury.
Old 08-05-2021, 09:19 AM
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
I have a 2020 RDX and iphone 12. All software is up to date. Cable is authentic Apple and has been replaced (just in case). CarPlay does not connect 25% of the time I use the car. It's extremely frustrating and the only way of resolving it is to turn off the engine, open the door to stop the RDX software and to start up the car again. This is my first Acura and I'm extremely disappointed in the software quality. Screen load is way to slow when you start the car and the CarPlay issue is extremely annoying. Luxury Car? I don't think so...
I have had these issues since Sep 2018. Acura has NEVER acknowledged the issues let alone fox them. It is strange or maybe not so that I have not heard of any Infotainment issues in the 2022 MDX which is basically the same as in the RDX from outward appearances. So my question is, what's different? Hardware?
Old 08-07-2021, 12:23 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Originally Posted by tecwerks
I have had these issues since Sep 2018. Acura has NEVER acknowledged the issues let alone fox them. It is strange or maybe not so that I have not heard of any Infotainment issues in the 2022 MDX which is basically the same as in the RDX from outward appearances. So my question is, what's different? Hardware?
Possibly.

what worked for me was last year, I did a full system reset.

Last edited by Madd Dog; 08-07-2021 at 12:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Apologies if I missed this and not to be patronizing but have you double checked to make sure you have the most up to date software on the Infotainment unit (1.5.1 I believe…)

The reason I ask is that roughly a year ago I had a MYRIAD of CarPlay issues and had my A-Spec 2020 in the dealer multiple times. The 1.5.1 update resolved almost all of these issues and now performs quite solidly.

If you are up to date on your iPhone and car software, I would suggest you completely unlink CarPlay on your phone and on your car. Then reset your cars infotainment unit and do a hard reset (not a software restore just a hard reset) on your iPhone. Then repair the two. If the issues persist hold the top three buttons on the touchpad down to open the developer console and see if there are any obvious error logs you can send to your dealer.

Should you have to do any of this…meh not really. But it’s a path forward that worked for me and I have an extremely low tolerance for technical issues in expensive products. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2021, 08:19 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, this issue is not Apple CarPlay, essentially USB port becomes disabled when rear-view camera is engaged while system boots. Its a bit tricky to reproduce, car needs to sit idle for a while, and then if you start and quickly backup before it boots, there is a good chance USB port will not connect, . It still charges the phone, but any data transfer functionality is dead.
The following 3 users liked this post by russianDude:
Baconsoup (11-08-2021), esquire0399 (11-07-2021), markm929 (11-06-2021)
Old 11-07-2021, 10:33 AM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Yeah, this issue is not Apple CarPlay, essentially USB port becomes disabled when rear-view camera is engaged while system boots. Its a bit tricky to reproduce, car needs to sit idle for a while, and then if you start and quickly backup before it boots, there is a good chance USB port will not connect, . It still charges the phone, but any data transfer functionality is dead.
I suppose this explains why the flash drive is occasionally not recognized also since it uses this USB port also. When this happens, it is not recognized for the duration of the drive until I turn it off and open the car door. I will have to see if this ever happens when not parked in my garage and pull forward without having to back up. I also use a third party wireless CarPlay dongle and it takes awhile to initialize also. As winter approaches in the north, I probably won't notice this as much since I tend to let the car warm up a minute or two before putting it in reverse.
Old 11-07-2021, 11:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gtssenior
I suppose this explains why the flash drive is occasionally not recognized also since it uses this USB port also. When this happens, it is not recognized for the duration of the drive until I turn it off and open the car door. I will have to see if this ever happens when not parked in my garage and pull forward without having to back up. I also use a third party wireless CarPlay dongle and it takes awhile to initialize also. As winter approaches in the north, I probably won't notice this as much since I tend to let the car warm up a minute or two before putting it in reverse.

See if this happens if you hit reverse to engage rear view camera immediately after starting the car. If I wait until it boots, it always works.
Old 11-08-2021, 02:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
This actually makes total sense. When I get in the car, I turn it on, and immediately throw it into reverse. I literally have CarPlay connection issues half of the time.

I've been wondering if me throwing it into reverse before I see the system boot was throwing it off, but I was telling myself that it probably just boots in the background... I'm now realizing the sequence probably gets interrupted when putting in reverse.

My 19 RDX has also been plagued by the crackling speaker issues and I even had that issue where the display gets stuck on the disclaimer screen, and doesn't turn off when powering off the car and opening the door. This infotainment is a mess lmao. And it's really funny because a similar Android-based setup in my 2018 Accord works flawlessly, why is Honda having so many issues with Acura's version of the software?

I just recently had a fix done by the dealer after waiting 3 months for the part to come in. They replaced some harnesses that my advisor suggested will resolve the majority of these issue I'm having. I haven't driven the car much since I got it back from the shop a few days ago, but I'm hoping this solves most of my issues with the infotainment. I had the limp-mode issue, and I got the TSB done a few months back and my car drives better now than it did pre-service while working with the same dealer.

I'll keep using the car the same way I normally do to see if the TSB did anything with my CarPlay woes, but if I'm having the same issues, I'll wait a bit before putting in reverse and report back with my findings.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:50 AM
Suzuka Master

I tried to reproduce it, so I can show to the dealer before they tell me “we cant reproduce”. Not so easy. I suspect system has to be in a deep sleep. If you simply stop the car, open/close door, and even lock/unlock the doors, it always works. I believe car has to be locked for some number of minutes for infoteinment to be in a deep sleep (or whatever it is). I waited 1min and it was not enough. But every morning when I back out of the garage, if I hit reverse immediately after car starts, USB port is not working pretty much every time.
I dont know how we can make Acura fix it, they might not even be aware of this issue.
here is why its annoying… imagine you were in the rush to back out, next thing you are on freeway and want to use Waze or Music, and its dead, not so nice….
Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 AM
Racer

I tried to reproduce it, so I can show to the dealer before they tell me “we cant reproduce”. Not so easy. I suspect system has to be in a deep sleep. If you simply stop the car, open/close door, and even lock/unlock the doors, it always works. I believe car has to be locked for some number of minutes for infoteinment to be in a deep sleep (or whatever it is). I waited 1min and it was not enough. But every morning when I back out of the garage, if I hit reverse immediately after car starts, USB port is not working pretty much every time.
I dont know how we can make Acura fix it, they might not even be aware of this issue.
here is why its annoying… imagine you were in the rush to back out, next thing you are on freeway and want to use Waze or Music, and its dead, not so nice….
I recall a post mentioning that power is removed from the USB port about ten minutes after the car is turned off and the door opened. If that is true, perhaps that is the beginning of the "deep sleep" you theorize. I have a music flash drive with a light on it. I will see if the light goes off after ten minutes or so by looking through the window with the compartment slider open.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:01 AM
Suzuka Master

I recall a post mentioning that power is removed from the USB port about ten minutes after the car is turned off and the door opened. If that is true, perhaps that is the beginning of the "deep sleep" you theorize. I have a music flash drive with a light on it. I will see if the light goes off after ten minutes or so by looking through the window with the compartment slider open.
good to know about 10min, I think we are on the right track. Still trying to determine if these are isolated cases, meaning that there is a problem with some people hardware/software, or everyone has it. Though some people claim their USB always works, so not sure whats going on here…
Old 11-08-2021, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Baconsoup
This actually makes total sense. When I get in the car, I turn it on, and immediately throw it into reverse. I literally have CarPlay connection issues half of the time.

I've been wondering if me throwing it into reverse before I see the system boot was throwing it off, but I was telling myself that it probably just boots in the background... I'm now realizing the sequence probably gets interrupted when putting in reverse.

My 19 RDX has also been plagued by the crackling speaker issues and I even had that issue where the display gets stuck on the disclaimer screen, and doesn't turn off when powering off the car and opening the door. This infotainment is a mess lmao. And it's really funny because a similar Android-based setup in my 2018 Accord works flawlessly, why is Honda having so many issues with Acura's version of the software?

I just recently had a fix done by the dealer after waiting 3 months for the part to come in. They replaced some harnesses that my advisor suggested will resolve the majority of these issue I'm having. I haven't driven the car much since I got it back from the shop a few days ago, but I'm hoping this solves most of my issues with the infotainment. I had the limp-mode issue, and I got the TSB done a few months back and my car drives better now than it did pre-service while working with the same dealer.

I'll keep using the car the same way I normally do to see if the TSB did anything with my CarPlay woes, but if I'm having the same issues, I'll wait a bit before putting in reverse and report back with my findings.
Welp. Driving to breakfast this morning, I did my usual routine of throwing it into reverse before the infotainment boots up, and CarPlay wouldn't work. Had to reboot the infotainment system.

My speaker also made the cracking sound again, so the TSB didn't fix either of those issues ☠️
markm929 (11-08-2021)
Old 11-08-2021, 03:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Baconsoup
Welp. Driving to breakfast this morning, I did my usual routine of throwing it into reverse before the infotainment boots up, and CarPlay wouldn't work. Had to reboot the infotainment system.

My speaker also made the cracking sound again, so the TSB didn't fix either of those issues ☠️
crackling sound? I had tsb done also, no cracking sound, but occasionally hear short high pitch squeals, almost like interference, but not common.
Need to complain to the dealer, they might look into it if enough of us complain about USB not working
Old 11-08-2021, 08:05 PM
Drifting

Though some people claim their USB always works, so not sure whats going on here…
They're probably not backing out of garages or driveways...
Lumify (11-08-2021)
Old 11-14-2021, 03:58 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by PRM-RDX-3G
I've had the same issue with Connectivity after the latest SW update. We're using a short 12" Apple Certified Cable. After rooting infotainment system all is well. Painful when you are driving the car. Did not occur in previous 2 years of ownership.
How do you reboot the infotainment system? Please guide me. My Apple CarPlay stopped working
Old 11-14-2021, 04:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Just saw a quick YouTube video how to reboot the infotainment system. It reset the system and Apple CarPlay started working again. Quick fix
Old 11-14-2021, 05:16 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by R3amir
Just saw a quick YouTube video how to reboot the infotainment system. It reset the system and Apple CarPlay started working again. Quick fix
I have never tried the 3 finger reset/reboot but it sounds useful in restoring normal functions when the system is crippled. If this is a true factory reset, reverting the system back to the state when it was purchased which is what a factory reset means to me, do things like downloaded navigation locations, favorite radio channels, all of the system settings one might have tailored, etc. get wiped out and need to be manually set up again? If so, it might be a good idea to have a list of these settings written down some where so they can be set up again.
Old 11-14-2021, 05:19 PM
Drifting

I have never tried the 3 finger reset/reboot but it sounds useful in restoring normal functions when the system is crippled. If this is a true factory reset, reverting the system back to the state when it was purchased which is what a factory reset means to me, do things like downloaded navigation locations, favorite radio channels, all of the system settings one might have tailored, etc. get wiped out and need to be manually set up again? If so, it might be a good idea to have a list of these settings written down some where so they can be set up again.
I did not loose any settings. And I had to do it many times. It is actually a re-boot, not a reset. Like rebooting a smart phone or computer

Quick Reply: Apple Car Play connection issues