AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G RDX (2019+) (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/)
-   -   Anyone having problems with "crackling" noise with the audio? (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-rdx-2019-454/anyone-having-problems-crackling-noise-audio-995286/)

atomarchio1 08-03-2021 01:37 PM

Anyone having problems with "crackling" noise with the audio?

I have a 2020 RDX and noticed crackling sounds when listing to the radio or taking via Bluetooth. However, the issue is intermittent and I can't figure out why it occurs.

Already to taken to Cleveland dealer, they supposedly fixed the problem but now it's back and they have no idea. Anyone else had this issue?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Vince D 08-03-2021 05:52 PM

I've never had any crackling issues with Sirius Radio on my 2020 Advance (I don't listen to regular radio AM / FM), but I am starting to hear what I call a "zap" sound - reminding me of one of those hanging LED mosquito zappers - when my iPhone is connected to CarPlay. It only happens every now and then but only lasts a few minutes, then it goes away. Apparently this is a chronic issue with many RDX vehicles.

atomarchio1 08-03-2021 09:05 PM

Yes, that's the noise perhaps I could have described it better. And it does go away sometimes but can be quite annoying.

However, I am using a Samsung S10 phone with Bluetooth. How can I resolve?

Baconsoup 08-03-2021 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Vince D (Post 16744514)
I've never had any crackling issues with Sirius Radio on my 2020 Advance (I don't listen to regular radio AM / FM), but I am starting to hear what I call a "zap" sound - reminding me of one of those hanging LED mosquito zappers - when my iPhone is connected to CarPlay. It only happens every now and then but only lasts a few minutes, then it goes away. Apparently this is a chronic issue with many RDX vehicles.

Yup, I have it during Bluetooth Audio playback too. Waiting for a call back from the dealer so I can do the repair when they get the part in. They think a connection/harness is loose.

Baconsoup 08-03-2021 11:16 PM

My loaner 2021 TLX had this issue too btw.

anoop 08-03-2021 11:21 PM

I experienced this but it's not fixed, dealer said they couldn't find anything wrong. It doesn't bother me much because about 99% of the time, I don't use the infotainment.

There's this TSB. Did they apply this?
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B21-009.PDF

LiPlum 08-04-2021 04:52 AM

Oh yes, this has been a frequent problem. There is a crackling or popping sound, sometimes described as a 'stones hitting the windshield ' sort of noise from the speakers. Mine would also disconnect entirely, usually with a reboot of the system and various lengths of time when it would 'go dark'.
Replacement of the fakra connection as described in the tsb is usually the fix, though I've been in multiple times since then. Tension of the wiring on both sides of the connector had to be adjusted - when fakra was replaced that was too tight and caused the same popping and disconnects. Five visits to my service guys between March and July. I am now 2 weeks from the last service and (fingers crossed) it might finally be solved.

atomarchio1 08-04-2021 06:42 AM

After seeing all of these posts, I am no longer feeling so optimistic that this issue can be resolved. I've already taken my 2020 RDX to the Cleveland dealer and they don't seem optimistic that the problem can be solved. They suggested I call Acura Client relations. Any idea on what they could possibly do for us?

anoop 08-04-2021 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by atomarchio1 (Post 16744621)
They suggested I call Acura Client relations. Any idea on what they could possibly do for us?

They can send in their tech to look at the car while it’s at the dealership. In the mean time try and find a way to capture it on video if possible. Intermittent problems are tough. :(

atomarchio1 08-04-2021 07:11 AM

But what would their tech do that the dealership could not do on their own? Just curious as to how that would play out. That's even if we could duplicate the issue at the exact time their tech was present.

anoop 08-04-2021 07:21 AM

Company tech has better access to engineering resources at the company so they might have access to issues which have been investigated and/or resolved but not yet communicated to the dealer.

Vince D 08-04-2021 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Baconsoup (Post 16744596)
My loaner 2021 TLX had this issue too btw.

OK - that's slightly low-key depressing. Thinking about turning in our ILX lease early and upgrading to the 2021 TLX....hmmmmm...

atomarchio1 08-04-2021 06:54 PM

I am going to try and take a video next time this happens. So far Acura has not been able to solve the problem. This will probably be last Acura given the number of times we've had to take the RDX back to the dealer within the past year.

NooYawkuh 08-04-2021 07:54 PM

MOST bus connectors.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...issues-994327/

I have a letter that extends the warranty on the MOST bus to 6 years.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ailure-993654/

atomarchio1 08-04-2021 08:38 PM

wow, this is a very well know issue based your post. So what do I tell the dealer to get them to resolve this?

Baconsoup 08-04-2021 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by atomarchio1 (Post 16744880)
wow, this is a very well know issue based your post. So what do I tell the dealer to get them to resolve this?

I was recording on my Apple Watch and managed to capture the crackling happening, and showed that to the service manager. He authorized the repair after that.

JLdogs 09-07-2021 12:32 PM

I have the same thing. I'm so annoyed I haven't brought it back to the dealership..

atomarchio1 09-07-2021 12:36 PM

My situation has progressed beyond the crackling noise, now the main screen simply does dark once in a while. This is also an intermittent issue, not exactly sure how to diagnose. Dealer said to call Acura Client relations. We've been leaving messages but no return calls yet.

Just thankful this is a lease and I can give the car back after 2 years :) I will never do business again with Acura after this.

dblwishbone 09-07-2021 01:51 PM

Go back to your dealer and reference the MOST-bus specific TSB's listed here https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...letins-978853/

LiPlum 09-07-2021 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Vince D (Post 16744848)
OK - that's slightly low-key depressing. Thinking about turning in our ILX lease early and upgrading to the 2021 TLX....hmmmmm...

Unfortunately they've started using the same crappy connections on the new TLX, and the new MDX.

JLdogs 09-08-2021 10:34 AM

Does anyone know where the MOST-Bus is located? Anyone have pictures? I'd like to try and fix it myself vs going to the dealer... Thank you!

JLdogs 09-08-2021 11:25 AM

Found this: https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10187544-0001.pdf

This is the directions for replacing the harness. It's dated 2/18/21
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/acurazi...9579310780.png
The green and red ones are the issue.

Waetherman 09-08-2021 04:24 PM

I just had my car into the dealer because my FM radio was "unavailable" and there were some other glitches. They specifiically asked if there were pops and I said I thought there were on a few occasions. They looked at the car and said it's 100% the MOST-Bus and that it's covered under the TSB. Currently waiting for the parts to come in before I take it back there.

@JLdogs I might be wrong but when I looked up the TSB it looked really complicated - like having to go under the seats in the back or something. It did not look like it would be worth doing yourself. But maybe I'm thinking of the wrong TSB.

JLdogs 09-09-2021 06:41 AM

It is complicated, but TSB is replacing the "loose" connectors. My guess is if all the speakers seem to be making these sounds then it's probably the connectors coming out of the infotainment unit. My thought is to have them replace just those. I'm going to check with my dealer when I have time.

NooYawkuh 09-09-2021 08:11 AM

I just dropped the car off for service. They're probably going to swap out the entire harness. Could take a couple days.

Doesn't sound like a DIY project. And why would you if it's in warranty?

JLdogs 09-09-2021 08:35 AM

It could be a faulty harness, but it's also possible it's the harness connections that feed out to the speakers. I am going to try and have them only change the two at the front.

NooYawkuh 09-09-2021 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by JLdogs (Post 16754939)
It could be a faulty harness, but it's also possible it's the harness connections that feed out to the speakers. I am going to try and have them only change the two at the front.

Hey, knock yourself out.

The service gal just called me and the harness is on backorder with no release date. Normally, they do the TSB and if that doesn't work, they replace the harness.

fogdoctor 09-22-2021 06:41 AM

I'm at the dealer right now for the cracking issue and the tailgate groan. They have the part to fix the tailgate issue but I think I will have to bring it back for for the cracking/popping noise.

The popping noise is annoying as hell.

LiPlum 09-22-2021 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by fogdoctor (Post 16758868)
I'm at the dealer right now for the cracking issue and the tailgate groan. They have the part to fix the tailgate issue but I think I will have to bring it back for for the cracking/popping noise.

The popping noise is annoying as hell.

yes, it is. At least once the system started shutting down it gave a reprieve from the annoying noise.

The latest solution for me was fixing a connection at the back of the infotainment unit. I'm one week past this (sixth) repair and good so far.

fogdoctor 09-22-2021 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by LiPlum (Post 16759132)
yes, it is. At least once the system started shutting down it gave a reprieve from the annoying noise.

The latest solution for me was fixing a connection at the back of the infotainment unit. I'm one week past this (sixth) repair and good so far.

They seem to have fixed everything. No more groaning from the tailgate. And, more importantly, no more cracking/popping from the sound system. Hopefully it everything stays fixed.

fogdoctor 09-23-2021 12:13 PM

Update: 100 miles since the fixes and all is well. Tailgate has been opened and closed a bunch and the pop/crack is still gone. Just wanted to mention that if you have the crack/pop issue then get in the queue immediately for the replacement connectors because I think they are scarce at this point. I sent my friend to the same dealer and they are out with not firm timeline for the replacement.

NooYawkuh 09-25-2021 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by fogdoctor (Post 16759306)
Update: 100 miles since the fixes and all is well. Tailgate has been opened and closed a bunch and the pop/crack is still gone. Just wanted to mention that if you have the crack/pop issue then get in the queue immediately for the replacement connectors because I think they are scarce at this point. I sent my friend to the same dealer and they are out with not firm timeline for the replacement.

My dealer is planning to replace the entire harness but no release date available. The fact that Acura has extended the warranty on the MOST bus indicates they know they have a problem and most dealer techs don't have what it takes to fix it. Hopefully, new factory built harnesses have some method improvements.

JLdogs 10-18-2021 06:38 AM

popping sounds from radio

I got the dealership to replace the connectors for free last Friday. No popping sounds since..

rwalsh 11-16-2022 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by atomarchio1 (Post 16744417)
I have a 2020 RDX and noticed crackling sounds when listing to the radio or taking via Bluetooth. However, the issue is intermittent and I can't figure out why it occurs.

Already to taken to Cleveland dealer, they supposedly fixed the problem but now it's back and they have no idea. Anyone else had this issue?

Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, I have experienced this multiple times in my 2019 RDX AWD. I have taken it to 2 dealers for a total of 4 times to resolve intermittent noises coming from the dash.
I am pursuing Acura Client relations for a full refund of the purchase price under the terms of the California lemon law. The car is still under warranty.
I do not believe that the dealers have the competence or expertise to fix this problem.
I think it is a systemic defect in the electronics in the dash.

JLdogs 11-16-2022 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by rwalsh (Post 16855252)
Yes, I have experienced this multiple times in my 2019 RDX AWD. I have taken it to 2 dealers for a total of 4 times to resolve intermittent noises coming from the dash.
I am pursuing Acura Client relations for a full refund of the purchase price under the terms of the California lemon law. The car is still under warranty.
I do not believe that the dealers have the competence or expertise to fix this problem.
I think it is a systemic defect in the electronics in the dash.

The problem is with the connectors which need to be replaced. There is a service bulletin on this. Google 10160875 and you will find the ServiceNews article from acura..

rwalsh 12-17-2022 09:45 PM

the connectors were replaced as directed by 2 TSBs. the popping sound continued.
Let me correct my post: it is a 2020 RDX with advanced package.
Clearly, the problem lies elsewhere in the network.
I maintain my previous point: I do not believe that the dealers have the competence, expertise or the parts to fix this problem.

rwalsh 12-17-2022 09:50 PM

Filed a demand for repayment under the California Lemon law

Vehicle: 2020 RDX with advanced package.
2 dealerships have attempt to remediate the intermittent popping, crackling sound.
All current TBS have been applied.
After 4 failed attempts, the customer can demand repayment from American Honda under the terms of the California lemon law as I am now doing.
The problem is unrelated to the infotainment system as it occurs when that system is off and even when the car is not turned on.
It occurs when the door is opened.

JonRichRDX 12-19-2022 11:07 AM

"crackling" noise

I have a 2020 RDX and I am hearing this crackling noise on dash near speaker area. - Radio can be on or off and the cracking noise persists.
Has anyone resolved this issue with certainty.
Any help would be appreciated.

NooYawkuh 12-20-2022 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by JonRichRDX (Post 16861379)
I have a 2020 RDX and I am hearing this crackling noise on dash near speaker area. - Radio can be on or off and the cracking noise persists.
Has anyone resolved this issue with certainty.
Any help would be appreciated.

As I stated above, they should replace the MOST wiring/fiber harnesses completely. I think there are 3 of them. They have to pretty much gut the entire interior (including the dash). But they did a good job. All fixed.

Unfortunately, they still couldn't get rid of the rattle in the dash by the HUD. But at least they didn't introduce any new rattles.

JonRichRDX 12-20-2022 03:44 PM

Thank you for responding. I am taking my car to the dealer nest week. I will update with the outcome.