AcuraLink Notifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2020 | 08:57 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

AcuraLink Notifications

I ponied up for the Remote package of AcuraLink recently specifically so I would be notified if anyone was messing with my car because I had a recent break in, and also was parking in an area where I was worried about getting towed (long story). I haven't had any trouble with the car in the last few weeks, but my wife accidentally set off the alarm this morning and I got no notification on my phone. I did however get an email. AN EMAIL. What, is this 1999? What good is an email notification?

Is this normal? Isn't there usually a notification through the app? Or is this just a bug/symptom of the recent AcuraLink outage?
Old 06-20-2020 | 09:18 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Waetherman
I ponied up for the Remote package of AcuraLink recently specifically so I would be notified if anyone was messing with my car because I had a recent break in, and also was parking in an area where I was worried about getting towed (long story). I haven't had any trouble with the car in the last few weeks, but my wife accidentally set off the alarm this morning and I got no notification on my phone. I did however get an email. AN EMAIL. What, is this 1999? What good is an email notification?

Is this normal? Isn't there usually a notification through the app? Or is this just a bug/symptom of the recent AcuraLink outage?
Their beta test of the fox simile ran into unexpected snags.

Old 06-20-2020 | 11:08 PM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

The app definitely has the capability to send notifications -- I received one on my android 9 phone when all AcuraLink features were restored this past week. Whether or not it's designed to also do this when the alarm is triggered, I don't know. It truly would be pathetic if an email was the only alert sent to owners.

Would I be completely surprised if that turned out to be the case? No.
Old 06-21-2020 | 12:21 AM
2020 RDX, Advance, AWD

Originally Posted by Waetherman
Isn't there usually a notification through the app...
Coming back to this in the role of Captain Obvious, you do have notifications enabled for AcuraLink, correct?
Old 06-21-2020 | 10:18 AM
Pro

Your question made me curious, so I set off the alarm on my RDX to see what would happen, Well, I only received an email. The email arrived in about 60 seconds, but it was just an email, and I normally ignore emails when I am with someone, or especially when I am driving.

So next I checked the Android settings on my phone, and I discovered that notifications for the AcuraLink app were disabled.I enabled notifications and then set the RDX alarm off a 2nd time. This time all I got was an email and no phone notifications.

Just to be sure, I rebooted my phone, and checked to see if the notifications remained enabled after a reboot. They were still enabled so I tested the alarm a 3rd time, and guess what? All I got was an email.

The email does say the following which sounds like you can change your notification preferences by calling AcuraLink. I could not find any options for this on the Acura Owner's Page.

You are receiving this email as you have indicated email as a preferred method of notification from AcuraLink.
Please do not reply to this email as we are not able to respond to messages sent to this address.
To change notification preferences, please call AcuraLink Customer Care at 1-800-289-8585.
Thank you for using AcuraLink.
To view our privacy policy, click here.
® 2018 Honda Canada Inc.

Old 06-21-2020 | 10:46 AM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Originally Posted by RDX-Rick
Your question made me curious, so I set off the alarm on my RDX to see what would happen, Well, I only received an email.
Well thanks for testing for me and confirming that notifications dont work, or at least not all the time/for everyone. I suspect the last part of that email just means that email notification preferences can be changed, but I’ll probably call anyway. It would be silly if changes can only be made by phone.

Originally Posted by DJA123
Coming back to this in the role of Captain Obvious, you do have notifications enabled for AcuraLink, correct?
Yes I double checked all the notifications both in the app and on the phone. It’s an iPhone, fwiw.

​​​​​​​

Old 06-21-2020 | 11:30 AM
Advanced

I logged into the Acura Owner's Site and selected Vehicle Info. Under Vehicle Info there was a link for AcuraLink under More Info. I went to AcuraLink and under My Account there was an Notifications section where I could change my preferences for Notifications, E-Mail and/or Push. That is where you can check your preferences to see if they are correct.
Old 06-21-2020 | 12:12 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by arjaykay
I logged into the Acura Owner's Site and selected Vehicle Info. Under Vehicle Info there was a link for AcuraLink under More Info.
I see the link to AcuraLink under the "Acura Owner's" page, but only on the acura.com web-page. The acura.ca does not have any links to AcuraLink on the owners page. The only link is on the public portion of the site, where they decribe how great it is, and provides a number to call them.

Perhaps the email that the OP originally receive might have different instructions than I received to change the notification settings himself.

It's just another thing that they didn't give us Canadians.
Old 06-21-2020 | 06:22 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

Thanks @arjaykay I’ll check that out.
Old 06-22-2020 | 11:49 AM
Skeptic

On Android, I have AcuraLink listed under "Sleeping" apps. I didn't put it there so it must put itself there by default. The only other app there was Google Maps. I think, if an app is on that list, it will not run in the background and will not send notifications unless and until you launch the app.

How do you trigger the alarm? I mean, without breaking a window?
Old 06-22-2020 | 01:00 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
How do you trigger the alarm? I mean, without breaking a window?
Roll down a window before exiting the car. After the car has locked, reach in and open the door using the internal handle.

Note:leave the key at short distance so the car cannot detect it.
The following users liked this post:
NooYawkuh (06-22-2020)
Old 06-22-2020 | 01:49 PM
2020 RDX White/Espresso

I looked online and I don't see that there are any security options at all. Is this what everyone's account looks like?

Again, I have the Security and Remote packages.
Old 06-22-2020 | 03:33 PM
Advanced

Mine looks just like that. I just have the Security package.