Acura tech denies hearing noise that we heard together

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:40 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acura tech denies hearing noise that we heard together

I'm new here, so not sure where to post this issue. If I should post it somewhere else, please let me know.

I bought a new RDX 2019 two months ago. It makes many noises from various areas of car. The main noise is a vibration noise from the headliner. I took it in yesterday. Drove it with a tech next to me to demonstrate noise. (We'll call the tech Jimmy).

Car didn't make noise for first 10 minutes. So I showed Jimmy that you can duplicate the noise by tapping on the headliner with your hand. (I'd also included this hand-tap info in the bullet-point report that I gave to them when I came in.) So I tapped on it, and he heard the noise. I said, "That's the noise you want to be listening for."

Eventually, while on the way back to the dealership, the vibration noise started to reveal itself on its own. He heard it. He said he heard it. We discussed it as I drove.

By the way, Jimmy seemed like a super nice guy the whole time.

The service manager called me today. He said they could not duplicate the noise. I told him, "We already DID duplicate it." So he says, "All I have is what's on the report. Let me talk to Jimmy and I'll call you back."

He calls me back and says Jimmy told him that when he was driving with me, we could only create the vibration noise by tapping headliner with our hands. And that I tried to create the noise by driving over the road reflectors, but was unsuccessful.

We went back & forth for a bit, with him stonewalling me. At the end I heatedly said "Jimmy is simply lying." More robotic stonewalling from him. He kept repeating, "I can only tell you what Jimmy told me sir."

My question is, is this rare? What should (or can) I do in a situation that a tech is blatantly lying? How freaking weird. The service manager did say they took a look inside headliner, but could find nothing wrong.

Hopefully it's fixed. And the lying part is just a way to avoid "lemon law" return. Or whatever is in their paranoid/protective minds.

This dealership has a bad reputation. So though Jimmy seemed like a great guy, I guess he's just another pretender in a corrupt dealership. I figure if you're an honest employee there, you don't last long.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM
Cruisin'

I'm so dumb. When me and Jimmy walked back into the service manager's office after our drive, Jimmy just said to me and service manager, "He's a good guy, we'll get him taken care of." He said this as he walked away. He never stopped. We never all 3 discussed the drive. Service manager didn't say much to me. He just had me sign a form. I should have discussed / confirmed what we heard during our drive. Man, so much slickness when I look back on it. I'm such an airhead.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Sunday
I'm so dumb. When me and Jimmy walked back into the service manager's office after our drive, Jimmy just said to me and service manager, "He's a good guy, we'll get him taken care of." He said this as he walked away. He never stopped. We never all 3 discussed the drive. Service manager didn't say much to me. He just had me sign a form. I should have discussed / confirmed what we heard during our drive. Man, so much slickness when I look back on it. I'm such an airhead.
Don’t beat yourself up, sounds like the dealer is not a good one, if I were you find a new dealer and don’t give that one your business
Old 08-15-2019, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Get a dash cam. It's sometimes easier to show video proof.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:31 AM
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyaddict
Get a dash cam. It's sometimes easier to show video proof.
Hehe not only video proof, you see if they actually do the service properly or even how they drive/test your car.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:58 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll get a dashcam for sure.

Dereileak. Problem is I live around LA, and the traffic is bad. The other dealership isn't close, and sometimes traffic jammed. But maybe I'll have to do that.

Just some advice that I've learned from this experience so far. After you drive with the tech to let him hear the noise/rattle, and he admits that he hears it. When you come back to the service dept with him, make sure you, the tech, and the service manager go over what the tech heard.

My tech slipped away very quickly and the manager never spoke about the noise. It was all, "ok we'll get ya taken care of." I assumed they were honest. I think I signed some paper. I'd no idea they'd call me the next day and say they couldn't reproduce the noise.

I think it's all a game they play to avoid the 3 unsuccessful attempts at repair, that would trigger the Lemon Law.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:31 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
The worst thing about this might be the fact that, at the factory, the first thing installed in the interior, is probably the headliner. That means if they have to remove it, they might have to strip the whole interior down to the rivets and welds. I base that on the procedure for installing the the remote start module up under the shark fin.

Get rid of one noise, introduce 3 new rattles and squeaks.
Old 08-15-2019, 11:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Care to share which dealer in the LA area so we locals can be aware?
Old 08-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Care to share which dealer in the LA area so we locals can be aware?
It's in the Inland Empire. It's got a bad reputation on Yelp. I've also dealt with their sales department, which displays the same bold corruption as the service dept.

After I get the problems fixed, I'll give the name, perhaps.

I'm new here and not sure if it's ok to mention a dealership by name.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's in the Inland Empire. It's got a bad reputation on Yelp. I've also dealt with their sales department, which displays the same bold corruption as the service dept.

Highly recommend you make the drive to Mission Viejo. Best dealership I've found in So Cal (from Culver City to Oceanside). Have only had good experiences there, and relatively transparent.

Best of luck!
Old 08-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I have had a clicking noise coming from headliner and it was coming from the interior light above the driver side rear passenger. The dealer fixed it that by replacing the assembly.
Then the clicking noise came back a week later, it drove me nuts, but found that it was coming from the front passenger side seat headrest. I then swapped it with the one on the driver side and it is much better now.

Also, if you have a large plastic frame sunglasses in the sunglasses holder, it would most likely to make clicking noise as well.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
I have a clunky rattle in the dash right by the HUD. I hate the idea of tearing the dash apart but I don't think I can live with it and I shouldn't have to. I'll bring it up at my next visit to the dealer.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:33 PM
Drifting

Received 587 Likes on 432 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
I have a clunky rattle in the dash right by the HUD. I hate the idea of tearing the dash apart but I don't think I can live with it and I shouldn't have to. I'll bring it up at my next visit to the dealer.
Maybe the sunglasses you haven't been able to find?

BTW, you are right about the headliner removal being a major undertaking. In the press release at model introduction they discussed how they decided on a bolted-in body stiffening strut in the floor of the cargo area so that the headliner could be removed from the vehicle intact. The implication is that the whole cargo area trim, rear seats, and who-knows-what-else needs to come out to remove/install the headliner. But maybe not quite so much tear down just to partially drop the headliner to peek above it.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:15 PM
Cruisin'

Wanderer, on you last sentence, could you explain it a little more, or make it clearer? Thanks. Appreciate the info you just provided.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 192 Posts
Originally Posted by Wander
Maybe the sunglasses you haven't been able to find?

BTW, you are right about the headliner removal being a major undertaking. In the press release at model introduction they discussed how they decided on a bolted-in body stiffening strut in the floor of the cargo area so that the headliner could be removed from the vehicle intact. The implication is that the whole cargo area trim, rear seats, and who-knows-what-else needs to come out to remove/install the headliner. But maybe not quite so much tear down just to partially drop the headliner to peek above it.
I was looking at that brace today, but it looks to be welded in not bolted in mine
Old 08-18-2019, 03:44 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts

Sure it is. Mine is Apple Tree Honda/Acura in Asheville NC. They suck. If you live in the area and are sheepish and gullible then by all means go see them as you will probably be happy. I am always leery of overly friendly types. They overwhelm you with it, have a nice day. Some people believe any bullshit that some companies and businesses throw at them.