Acura reliability improving

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2024, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Acura reliability improving

Looks like Acura is moving up. At some point they were near the bottom of this list. However, they are still quite bad overall, much worse than Honda.
https://www.consumerreports.org/cars...s-a6159221985/
Old 02-27-2024, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Acura's predicted reliability scored well - actually better than Honda and one of only 5 luxury brands to receive a "good" rating. What separates it from the top luxury brands is the road-test score and average owner satisfaction. If you read their detailed reviews of Acura models, you'll see they're not fans of the TrueTouch interface, so Acura likely loses points for that in these ratings.
The following users liked this post:
PRP5150 (02-29-2024)
Old 02-27-2024, 01:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Looks like if you want good reliability and owner satisfaction the only choices are BMW/Mini and Porsche.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Reliability rating probably doesn't reflect the recent rash of rear window implosions (not to mention it takes a couple of years for it to fail...sometimes within warranty period or just out of it).
Old 02-27-2024, 01:53 PM
Instructor

I also don't think the top 1/3 of all automakers is "quite bad overall." Not as good as Honda/Acura loyalists expect, sure.

Acura's "Overall Score" is 9 points below first place and 27 points above last place.
Old 02-27-2024, 01:54 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
Looks like if you want good reliability and owner satisfaction the only choices are BMW/Mini and Porsche.
I guess I picked a good time to switch since the only 2 years I've had my X3, BMW has been #1!
Old 02-27-2024, 02:01 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ELIN
Reliability rating probably doesn't reflect the recent rash of rear window implosions (not to mention it takes a couple of years for it to fail...sometimes within warranty period or just out of it).
This issue couldn't have completely skirted these ratings considering it was first reported in this forum in 2021 and 3G RDXs have been on the road for over 5 years now. Time will tell how widespread the issue becomes.
Old 02-27-2024, 02:03 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cwatt79
I also don't think the top 1/3 of all automakers is "quite bad overall." Not as good as Honda/Acura loyalists expect, sure.

Acura's "Overall Score" is 9 points below first place and 27 points above last place.
The fact that Acura has only 4 models to test and all 4 were tested certainly helped!
Old 02-27-2024, 02:10 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by cwatt79
This issue couldn't have completely skirted these ratings considering it was first reported in this forum in 2021 and 3G RDXs have been on the road for over 5 years now. Time will tell how widespread the issue becomes.
You're right! I forgot that thread started in '21!
I was very close to being a '21 RDX owner but picked up a TLX instead to get the feel of a sedan again.
cwatt79 (02-27-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 97 Posts
Who cares? Acura will cover it, regardless. It’s not a warranty issue, it’s an acknowledged defect.

Reliability in my mind means the car won’t cost me a fortune to keep running for the next 15 years and there’s no reason to question the RDX in that regard.
amcobra (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 09:36 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jmhumr
Who cares? Acura will cover it, regardless. It’s not a warranty issue, it’s an acknowledged defect.

Reliability in my mind means the car won’t cost me a fortune to keep running for the next 15 years and there’s no reason to question the RDX in that regard.
Tell that to the RDX owners who had this repaired out of pocket before the TSB came out!
Old 02-28-2024, 09:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

what a coincidence that you chose 15 years and this tweet shows an Acura and mentions 15 years.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:29 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
100% BMW is the only car to buy and live in peace I heard BMW does not require oil, brake and battery change anymore! All gets done OTA!

These surveys or stats make me laugh...Anyway, owners and potential buyers of any car brands, please do your homework, don't rush and write a cheque of $50-60K or whatever amount to any brand. It's sad when you read people buy Acura or Audi or Genesis, and then a week later you read complaints about infotainment, space, camera, paint, wheel size, thickness of carpet, fuel consumptions and or the list goes on. it's not difficult to ask for extended test drive, compare and if you can narrow down your choice and spend $200-300 and get a 24hr Turo rental. Drive it and see if the car fits your needs.
RDX10 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
And yet, there are posters here who claim Acura did not cover it, or tried to deny coverage. Are they all liars?

The problem with Honda/Acura is that while it's less common to have problems, when there are problems they are a huge PITA to deal with because they have a tendency to not own up to it.
ELIN (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 12:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts

they dont have to cover anything outside the warranty, I would not count on their goodwill gestures….
The following 2 users liked this post by russianDude:
ELIN (02-28-2024), RDX10 (02-28-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:08 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
And yet, there are posters here who claim Acura did not cover it, or tried to deny coverage. Are they all liars?

The problem with Honda/Acura is that while it's less common to have problems, when there are problems they are a huge PITA to deal with because they have a tendency to not own up to it.
I haven’t seen examples of that since the TSB was released. You may have to fight with corporate on your own if your dealer sucks, but I’m 100% confident you can get Acura to cover it now that they’ve acknowledged the problem.

Also, yes. There are plenty of morons online who are capable of handling the issue poorly with their dealer and getting stuck with the bill.

Last edited by jmhumr; 02-28-2024 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 01:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Who cares? I'm guessing anyone who has to deal with it cares. Window shatters, hatch is a mess, car is unsecured, there's plastic and tape and waiting for parts then a service appointment. Yeah, I bet they care a lot.

Of course there will be the customers who have no idea self-shattering glass is a thing, so they just assume the neighborhood kids or a random vandal broke their window, and they take care of the repair on their own outside of the Acura network. I suspect this is what Acura is hoping for, and I find it rather shameful.

Acura might be saving themselves some cash by not issuing a voluntary recall, but they're damaging the brand by being reactive rather than proactive. Sometimes you gotta suck it up and do the right thing.
The following 7 users liked this post by HotRodW:
amcobra (03-04-2024), anoop (02-28-2024), ELIN (02-28-2024), ESHBG (02-28-2024), hand-filer (03-01-2024), MJ4RDX (02-29-2024), RDX10 (02-28-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-28-2024, 01:59 PM
Drifting

Also, yes. There are plenty of morons online who are capable of handling the issue poorly with their dealer and getting stuck with the bill.
Not what I would have called your fellow RDX owners but hope you have a better day!
Old 02-28-2024, 02:01 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
I haven’t seen examples of that since the TSB was released. You may have to fight with corporate on your own if your dealer sucks, but I’m 100% confident you can get Acura to cover it now that they’ve acknowledged the problem.

You calling others morons who could not convince their dealer to cover broken glass outside the warranty? Ok…
hand-filer (03-01-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts

Unlike recalls, TSB's are no good if you're outside of the warranty. The dealership or Acura corporate (LOL) might fix it for free as a gesture of goodwill, but more often then not they don't.

And for that matter, the TSB only applies to 2019 and some 2020 models. If yours is not covered, you may be SOL even if you're still within the warranty period.

You might be 100% confident that Acura will cover it because they've acknowledged the problem, but plenty of posters here are still getting the run around trying to get it resolved. I guess they must be all morons? Or perhaps the moron is the Acura apologist?

Look at all these morons:
Originally Posted by MikeK88
My wife had just bundled the kids into the car to go to daycare and school. She started out the lane and BANG! Instant hole in the window. I did not know at the time that there were issues with her model. I didn't know about the class action lawsuit. I didn't know about the TSB. But Acura did! Not happy with the response from the dealership, "Sorry but you're 2 months past warranty. Nothing we can do." To say that I'm pissed off would be an understatement! I bought this car for my wife because I loved my MDX, even though it had a TSB on my roof paint but that's another thread LOL

Of to Speedy Autoglass for a new window and an insurance claim. Car wore a diaper for the weekend but it back together today. Speedy Auto were definitely speedy but sloppy! Glass still in door and wiper way off. This whole experience has definitely soured me to the brand that I liked!

Originally Posted by Cresy

Woke up one morning to find this happened overnight while my car was parked in the garage...having a hard time with acura canada to fix
Originally Posted by JABacura
I am going through this right now (I am from Montreal). Acura Canada customer service asked me to get a diagnostic done at the dealer, which is 179.95+ tax. Did you have to do this? Customer service also mentioned that Acura would most probably not cover that cost. I have a 2020 from July 2019 so I’m just out of warranty..
Originally Posted by EMF9
Update to my story. Had safelite replace my glass because they could do it soonest. The glass they inserted is totally distorted. Safelite came out and admitted its all distorted, but the other one they had in stock had the same defects. They weren't able to get good glass and after about 10 unreturned calls to the safelite manager I gave up and submitted an AMEX claim for the price of the repair. They still haven't responded. From the other side I talked to the local Acura dealers service manager. My car was in today, for what I thought was a replacement and getting the glass out of the hatch. Apparently Acura only approved the shop time to remove all the glass from the hatch, but not to replace the glass itself. Sigh.... The claim is apparently submitted to Acura and pending with no ETA or timeline for getting non-defective (either safelite wavy glass defect or acura exploding glass defect) glass installed. It seems to me that removing all of the glass from the hatch should have been done AFTER the glass was replaced since I have a feeling it may shatter trying to get it out of there. At least they did a good job getting the glass out.

Now I am waiting to see if Acura will admit its a problem and replace the window considering they already admitted it was a problem (kind of) when they paid for removing the glass.
Originally Posted by supafamous
My rear glass shattered 2 weeks ago and I'm still trying to get Acura Canada to get back to me about whether they'll cover the repair or not - I'm out a few months out of warranty and they're staying they only cover it if it's under warranty and under 80,000km. I'm at 40,000km so am asking for a review of my case, initially was promised an answer in 3-5 business days and it's now 2 weeks and they're telling me it's going to be another week because of their backlog. Considering they acknowledge the problem is due to their failure and it's clearly pretty frequent I'm not sure why it's even a question of them extending coverage for people.

Owners shouldn't have to fight to get known defects addressed when out of warranty. Acura might not be legally required to do so, but it would be the right thing to do. And for that matter, it doesn't appear that Acura is capable of consistently doing the right thing.

Last edited by fiatlux; 02-28-2024 at 02:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by fiatlux:
ELIN (02-28-2024), hand-filer (03-01-2024), RDX10 (02-28-2024), SilverJ (02-29-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 05:18 PM
Racer

Not what I would have called your fellow RDX owners but hope you have a better day!
Why twist my words? Do you disagree that people can be jerks to service departments and kill their chances of getting any goodwill service?

Last edited by jmhumr; 02-28-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by fiatlux
Unlike recalls, TSB's are no good if you're outside of the warranty. The dealership or Acura corporate (LOL) might fix it for free as a gesture of goodwill, but more often then not they don't.

And for that matter, the TSB only applies to 2019 and some 2020 models. If yours is not covered, you may be SOL even if you're still within the warranty period.

You might be 100% confident that Acura will cover it because they've acknowledged the problem, but plenty of posters here are still getting the run around trying to get it resolved. I guess they must be all morons? Or perhaps the moron is the Acura apologist?

Look at all these morons:

Owners shouldn't have to fight to get known defects addressed when out of warranty. Acura might not be legally required to do so, but it would be the right thing to do. And for that matter, it doesn't appear that Acura is capable of consistently doing the right thing.
Not sure how randomly you picked those examples, but it’s interesting to me that Acura Canada was mentioned almost universally.

And I agree with your sentiment, but it’s 2024. You have to fight for everything these days.

Last edited by jmhumr; 02-28-2024 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-28-2024, 05:54 PM
Drifting

Why twist my words? Do you disagree that people can be jerks to service departments and kill their chances of getting any goodwill service?
I didn’t twist your words and you just doubled down on the innocent owners. Why are they at fault and not Acura? Why is Acura allowed to put them in a situation where they could be called “morons” by you?
hand-filer (03-01-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 06:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
Well there goes the thread. Usual suspects 🙄.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDX10:
Legend2TL (03-03-2024), NBPDC505 (02-29-2024), Tony Pac (03-01-2024)
Old 02-28-2024, 07:08 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They did not cover my exploded moonroof; same glass issue; 2019 RDX

See my title.

Old 02-29-2024, 07:54 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Geohutch
See my title.
Yours was a prime example: you traveled w/a kayak on the RDX's roof (as some are often doing on their decent-sized SUV) and Acura refused to fix your rear windshield identifying the non-OEM roofrack as the "cause".
Very petty by your dealer and you my friend, will not be called a "moron" by me!
Old 02-29-2024, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Having driven Acura's now for over 20 years, I can tell you first hand a lot of dealers (and Acura corporate) are just trying to make a buck off you.
This is not ALL. I know at least one dealership two hours away from me that are awesome and have done good will repairs for me even if I didn't that the car from them.
On the other hand, I had the clutch kit go on my TL that had 37K miles on it (this part NEVER goes out that soon) ...it was within the drivetrain warranty but out of the bumper to bumper warranty.
Acura corporate told me at the time that because I am a long time customer, they would consider a good will adjustment and to bring to dealership. That dealership said it would cost me
$1100.00 to disassemble the trans to determine if it "could" be a good will adjustment. And to boot they said I needed a flywheel which would have cost me another couple grand if I chose them to go forward (which was complete bullshit, I did NOT need a flywheel) Needless to say, I bad mouth that dealership any chance I get.
So to hear people getting a lot of resistance for trying to get a dealership to cover a cost they don't make money on does not surprise me in the least.
Still love my RDX though, which I did NOT buy from that dealership, on principle

Last edited by SilverJ; 02-29-2024 at 12:52 PM.
amcobra (03-04-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:46 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,276 Likes on 2,641 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Well there goes the thread. Usual suspects 🙄.
QFT
RDX10 (03-04-2024)