Acura RDX EV

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 08:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Originally Posted by cwatt79
It's painfully obvious that this is a reworked GM product. Very bland and uninspired design inside and out, especially inside. That interior could belong to a Chevy or a Hyundai. Not impressed! Hopefully they do better with Honda's e:Architecture and more time.
Don't blame GM for that ... they just gave them the platform to build around. Acura phoned this one in. Very bland and uninspired.
The following users liked this post:
pilozm (08-21-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 08:36 PM
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by leomio2.0
Don't blame GM for that ... they just gave them the platform to build around. Acura phoned this one in. Very bland and uninspired.
There was no blame on GM there. The platform was designed for GM vehicles, not Acuras, and it shows. As an American electric SUV it’s good. As an Acura, it abandons its brand identity. Makes me question whether it was worth doing so to get an EV to market a couple years before e:Architecture is ready. Apparently they thought so. Just disappointing because it seems like Acura has found an identity with its current lineup that really works - entry luxury, striking design that sets it apart, great dynamics, and good value. Maybe some customers won’t care, but I’m afraid the ZDX is a step backward
The following 2 users liked this post by cwatt79:
amcobra (08-18-2023), pilozm (08-21-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 09:06 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
To me it doens't look too bad. Interior and exterior look closer to Acura design than any other EV I've seen, though I would have preferred a black pentagon grille for both familiarity and because a body color grill feels too "beaky". And at a glance the interior appears to have all the Acura/Honda driver usability designed in.

Sport+ mode on my Hybrid MDX feels like my RSX, so Acura knows how to get electric SHAWD and electric power steering feeling sporty. Coupled with air suspension and adaptive dampers, the ZDX should have enough room to program in an Acura driving experience. And that should set it apart in 2024.

I presume the base model will qualify for the tax credits and that will be a big leg up on other Asian competition in 2024.

EVs aren't for me yet but I feel this is a pretty solid first attempt for Acura.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:20 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I appreciate that is not a wholesale copy and past of the Lyriq. They at least put some work into giving the cars different looks despite being on the same platform. For those that think this is phoned in, then look at the Toyota bz4x and Subaru Solterra. That was one that I was really disappointed in Subaru for. The only plus they get from me on that is that they didn't use that god awful chime Toyota went with.
Old 08-17-2023, 09:44 PM
Racer

Received 161 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by cwatt79
There was no blame on GM there. The platform was designed for GM vehicles, not Acuras, and it shows. As an American electric SUV it’s good. As an Acura, it abandons its brand identity. Makes me question whether it was worth doing so to get an EV to market a couple years before e:Architecture is ready. Apparently they thought so. Just disappointing because it seems like Acura has found an identity with its current lineup that really works - entry luxury, striking design that sets it apart, great dynamics, and good value. Maybe some customers won’t care, but I’m afraid the ZDX is a step backward
My sentiments exactly. To make matters worse, they sold their soul to join the EV market with the rest of the crowd but gave it an asinine price tag that’ll probably make this a sales bust. They might as well have just taken their time.
The following 2 users liked this post by jmhumr:
amcobra (08-18-2023), cwatt79 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:11 PM
mvl
Pro

I agree that Honda's EV plan is worrisome. Industry journalists have said Honda went all in on EV without a backup plan. The way it seems, Honda is likely to go bankrupt if the US can't improve its charging infrastructure fast enough to undo the current EV sales crash.

Honda's current lineup is pretty timeless, so hopefully Honda has enough flexibility in their factories to extend the ICE lines to weather the storm.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:16 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
That interior screams Honda. Talk about blah.
RDX10 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 07:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
I don't hate it, and I give Acura points for buttons and what appear to be normal door handles. I also give them credit for the RWD option, which many shoppers in this category demand. The styling just doesn't wow me, even if it does look infinitely better than the original ZDX. And the pricing is pretty optimistic. Then again, the ZDX Type S promises to offer performance that no ICE Acura crossover would ever manage. 500 HP, height adjustable air springs, adaptive shocks, 6-piston Brembos and even optional summer performance tires ... should be impressive.

GM has been struggling to ramp up production of the Lyriq. If Lyriq output doesn't improve dramatically, how much effort will GM put toward building the ZDX in volume when Cadillac's own customers are screaming for their cars?
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
pilozm (08-21-2023), RDX10 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 07:51 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Infiniti is dying a slow death. Acura may beat them to it if the EV industry doesn't manage to pivot away from rare-earth metals.
RDX10 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 09:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 277 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
GM has been struggling to ramp up production of the Lyriq. If Lyriq output doesn't improve dramatically, how much effort will GM put toward building the ZDX in volume when Cadillac's own customers are screaming for their cars?
The supply is quite healthy these days, otherwise GM would not dish out the $7.5k lease credit for Lyriq.
Old 08-18-2023, 10:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sonyfever
The supply is quite healthy these days, otherwise GM would not dish out the $7.5k lease credit for Lyriq.
Sure they would ... it's not their money. It's taxpayer money.
The following 4 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (08-18-2023), pilozm (08-21-2023), RDX10 (08-18-2023), TheLevelOne (08-20-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 01:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
The majority of reservation holders are still waiting on theirs, so I'm not sure how supply can be healthy.
pilozm (08-21-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
I don't hate it, and I give Acura points for buttons and what appear to be normal door handles. I also give them credit for the RWD option, which many shoppers in this category demand. The styling just doesn't wow me, even if it does look infinitely better than the original ZDX. And the pricing is pretty optimistic. Then again, the ZDX Type S promises to offer performance that no ICE Acura crossover would ever manage. 500 HP, height adjustable air springs, adaptive shocks, 6-piston Brembos and even optional summer performance tires ... should be impressive.

Agreed! I also give them credit for making it look very normal. No stupid sideways tv in the center console, real buttons and a gauge cluster...etc. I also am in the minority but I actually do really like the exterior styling. It's giving me Audi Allroad vibes and I'm a huge fan of lifted wagons lol.
HotRodW (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 03:08 PM
Safety Car

Received 3,434 Likes on 1,882 Posts
I wonder how support will working in the long term, considering that most of the car is built with GM parts by GM in a GM plant. Will Acura dealerships even be equipped to work on what is basically a one-off model for them, if long term they use their own EV architecture?
Old 08-18-2023, 05:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 337 Likes on 246 Posts
Given what the Ford CEO recently noted after taking his own Lightning Truck on a road trip through Route 66, I’ll wait a few years till the infrastructure is more robust, more electric plants made to increase capacity (otherwise kWH prices will rise super fast). range is much higher (as 80% recommended charging and cold/hot weather eats 20%-40% of range). Regardless of mpg or outside climate, I can always get 280-350 to a tank (400+ miles on a tank freeway driving).

Look at what the uk is experiencing now, electric costs more than Petrol or diesel. Resale values of all EV are dropping faster than a hot potato and demand is falling quickly.

plus, maybe someone can explain to me how leasing a new ev every 3 years is “green”. All the carbons are expelled mining the battery minerals, billing the batteries and then shipping the product to the USA for assembly. Then when you plug it in, coal and natural gas are the dominant sources to produce energy.
The following 2 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
amcobra (08-18-2023), NBPDC505 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 07:44 PM
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Not the first time for Honda contracting out…

The Honda Passport is a line of sport utility vehicles (SUV) from the Japanese automaker Honda. Originally, it was a badge engineered version of the Isuzu Rodeo, a mid-sizeSUV sold between 1993 and 2002.

Aclura brand is going to be diluted by sourcing with GM. The pricing is absolutely absurd
RDX10 (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 07:56 PM
mvl
Pro

This is the federal EV tax credit. Foreign competition found that they could use a loophole: while consumers only get EV credits on US factory models, businesses get the EV credit on US or foreign models, and so the foreign cars are "bought" by the finance company for rental to consumers as a business transaction. So foreign manufacturers all have 7500 lease credits and GM had to match to compete.

Takes away the competitive advantage Acura had by building in Tenessee for the ZDX, and in Ohio for future models.

Last edited by mvl; 08-18-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 08:08 PM
mvl
Pro

Originally Posted by amcobra
The Honda Passport is a line of sport utility vehicles (SUV) from the Japanese automaker Honda. Originally, it was a badge engineered version of the Isuzu Rodeo, a mid-sizeSUV sold between 1993 and 2002.

Aclura brand is going to be diluted by sourcing with GM. The pricing is absolutely absurd
The more optimistic story is the Acura SLX which was a rebadged Isuzu Trooper. It allowed Acura to learn the SUV market, until they swapped out the SLX with the in-house MDX, which became their best selling model of all time.

With Honda's own EV plant coming online in 2026, the optimistic scenario would be for the ZDX to follow in the SLX's footsteps.

ZDX pricing is pretty much the same as the Lyriq, and also eligible for the $7500 credit in purchase or lease. So seems reasonable to me.

Last edited by mvl; 08-18-2023 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mvl
The more optimistic story is the Acura SLX which was a rebadged Isuzu Trooper. It allowed Acura to learn the SUV market, until they swapped out the SLX with the in-house MDX, which became their best selling model of all time.

With Honda's own EV plant coming online in 2026, the optimistic scenario would be for the ZDX to follow in the SLX's footsteps.

ZDX pricing is pretty much the same as the Lyriq, and also eligible for the $7500 credit in purchase or lease. So seems reasonable to me.
$58k-$70k is a heck of a lot of $$$ for a GM EV platform with Honda/Acura stying added to it. $7,500 credit not everyone qualifies for. Given the new tech and hiccups of all EV 1st model mfg - thats a huge risk to take in my book. Then add in that EV's are depreciating much faster than petrol vehicles - total cost of ownership is significantly higher.

estimated 308 miles per charge of the Lyric - thats at 100% charge, and ideal conditions. 80% charge is 240 mile range (which all EV lithium batteries mfg recommend), then hot or cold weather will reduce that to below 200 miles easily.

Believe EV's are a part of the future, however right now there is a lot of leg work to do in the USA to make that transition. City dweller and people who can charge at home daily - thats easier to justify. Though you'll need a level 2 charger at home - depending on the year of your home - you may need a new expensive breaker box to support it.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
$58k-$70k is a heck of a lot of $$$ for a GM EV platform with Honda/Acura stying added to it. $7,500 credit not everyone qualifies for. Given the new tech and hiccups of all EV 1st model mfg - thats a huge risk to take in my book. Then add in that EV's are depreciating much faster than petrol vehicles - total cost of ownership is significantly higher.

estimated 308 miles per charge of the Lyric - thats at 100% charge, and ideal conditions. 80% charge is 240 mile range (which all EV lithium batteries mfg recommend), then hot or cold weather will reduce that to below 200 miles easily.

Believe EV's are a part of the future, however right now there is a lot of leg work to do in the USA to make that transition. City dweller and people who can charge at home daily - thats easier to justify. Though you'll need a level 2 charger at home - depending on the year of your home - you may need a new expensive breaker box to support it.
Considering all the range anxiety I had with my TLX, EV ownership is a distant idea!
The following 2 users liked this post by ELIN:
markm929 (08-19-2023), NBPDC505 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 11:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Motor Trend did a brief comparison of the Lyriq and ZDX. The ZDX's long wheelbase does a nice job hiding its length, which is essentially the same as the MDX's. An electric RDX it is not.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
ELIN (08-20-2023), RDX10 (08-20-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 12:01 PM
Drifting

Motor Trend did a brief comparison of the Lyriq and ZDX. The ZDX's long wheelbase does a nice job hiding its length, which is essentially the same as the MDX's. An electric RDX it is not.
Thanks for the article! Surprising that the 500 HP Lyriq has 19 miles more range than the ZDX Type S (more of Acura's weight issues?). Based on pricing alone, I'd imagine Lyriq sales to initially outpace the ZDX.

It's a shame they didn't go w/Tesla's NACS plug from the get go and must wait until 2025. Not a good selling point if you can't use Tesla's massive network of Superchargers!
HotRodW (08-20-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 10:20 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts

FWIW, EV manufacturers don't charge to 100% on their Li batteries capacity, they limit it to some limit already to preserve battery charging cycles so that 308 mile range already accounts for that. AFAIK, no manufacturer I've read about ever charges their EV products to 100% of the actual lithium batteries capacity, they charge to less to preserve battery charging life. IIRC the vehicle rating must adhere to the what the manufacturer charges the battery to in use, not the actual battery internal capacity. It's a bit confusing to say the least.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
FWIW, EV manufacturers don't charge to 100% on their Li batteries capacity, they limit it to some limit already to preserve battery charging cycles so that 308 mile range already accounts for that. AFAIK, no manufacturer I've read about ever charges their EV products to 100% of the actual lithium batteries capacity, they charge to less to preserve battery charging life. IIRC the vehicle rating must adhere to the what the manufacturer charges the battery to in use, not the actual battery internal capacity. It's a bit confusing to say the least.
We all know they "save capacity" for the idiots who try to run them to zero charge. They have too - as completely large capacity batteries discharged all the way are not healthy for their longevity. From a consumer standpoint, you use the "battery charge level" when driving and charging - everything is based off those metrics. Thus - All MFG of EV still only recommend you charging to 80-85% of their consumer usable capacity (not actual battery capacity). Thence - you will not get anywhere near the "range" they post from the EPA.
pilozm (08-28-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:59 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
This is very true. Ultium battery production was abysmal and it's not getting better fast enough. Folks with Lyriq orders waited over 18 months for their cars and still waiting. But the biggest problem for Acura, is that GM will need Ultium batteries for Blazers, Escalades, Bolts, Lyriqs and several others. So the question becomes will GM prioritize their own brands or will they prioritize Acuras?

HotRodW (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by pilozm
This is very true. Ultium battery production was abysmal and it's not getting better fast enough. Folks with Lyriq orders waited over 18 months for their cars and still waiting. But the biggest problem for Acura, is that GM will need Ultium batteries for Blazers, Escalades, Bolts, Lyriqs and several others. So the question becomes will GM prioritize their own brands or will they prioritize Acuras?
Now we know why the ZDX pricing is so absurd. Definitely will not be a volume seller!
pilozm (08-28-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 01:12 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,231 Likes on 2,613 Posts
We all know they "save capacity" for the idiots who try to run them to zero charge. They have too - as completely large capacity batteries discharged all the way are not healthy for their longevity. From a consumer standpoint, you use the "battery charge level" when driving and charging - everything is based off those metrics. Thus - All MFG of EV still only recommend you charging to 80-85% of their consumer usable capacity (not actual battery capacity). Thence - you will not get anywhere near the "range" they post from the EPA.
Most manufacturers recommend charging to ~80% for everyday usage, but there's no issue going to 100% of their consumer usable capacity for longer trips. AFAIK that's the Tesla guidelines, hence it does have the full range for longer journeys so you get the full range. IIRC, the charging menu's for the Tesla's also enable that battery charge limiting mode and it's selectable as well. Also battery chemistry also matter here as well.
pilozm (08-28-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 06:29 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Legend2TL
Most manufacturers recommend charging to ~80% for everyday usage, but there's no issue going to 100% of their consumer usable capacity for longer trips. AFAIK that's the Tesla guidelines, hence it does have the full range for longer journeys so you get the full range. IIRC, the charging menu's for the Tesla's also enable that battery charge limiting mode and it's selectable as well. Also battery chemistry also matter here as well.
Correct. Lithium batteries with most current chemistry best to charge to 80%. Long trips take planning to pre-charge to 100% and a long time, as 80% -> 100% takes almost as long as 20%-80%. My point was, the price for the tech and very limited range in real life is no where near the current ICE counterpart. Plus, the battery size of the new Acura EV is huge, weighs a lot and takes a long time to change that 102 KW capacity.