Acura CDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 02:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Despite the size difference, an ADX Type S would probably cannibalize RDX sales!
You only lose 5 ft3 of cargo space going HRV size!

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparis...veh2=402022117
It would only cannibalize sales to the same degree the Q3/X1 do to the Q5/X3. Overall size is a huge thing for a lot of buyers and with it the perceived sense of safety. If anything it would only bring new buyers to the brand, perhaps new couples, young families etc. A successful car company offers a variety of sizes to allow people to grow with the brand.

Originally Posted by ELIN
I'm not as concerned. The market for these cars are the same people who think a $70k MDX is equivalent to a $70k X5! There will never be a shortage of folks who believe this!
People in this segment especially don't give a shit.

I would argue though that at 70k the MDX is pretty equivalent to an X5...it's when you start comparing the 90k+ X5 that the disparity becomes huge.

Originally Posted by fiatlux
The previous gen HR-V was a shitbox, but this current gen HR-V has been very well received...except for the anemic engine. But, Acura is going to put the 1.5T into it, so that's not really a concern anymore.

As for the brand fit, it's not like Acura's other offerings really move the needle in terms of performance. The RDX has no Type S model, the TLX Type S falls flat when it comes to "performance", and the MDX Type S isn't really about performance at all. These cars handle well...but that's about it; none of these cars are particularly fast or powerful from a performanace perspective, so I wouldn't say the HRV will work against them more than the rest of the lineup already does. Acura really needs to rethink what it wants to be, because it's certainly not delivering on this aspirational "performance" angle no matter how hard their marketing team tires to make it happen.
Forever Acura's problem. Doing too much of multiple directions and ultimately going nowhere. They had a great opportunity to drop in a 400hp type S model across the board but didn't. The RDX specifically competes in a space with Turbo and supercharged V6's and V8's and they somehow couldn't even just keep the 2.0T but reinforce the drivetrain and tune it to 330hp and call it a type S?

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Yep. Agree. Acura is a luxury, performance division of Honda. Entry level product would be the wrong direction - IMO.
Hope they step up with new models soon, as the all 2025 Toyota Land Cruiser and 4Runner (especially the limited and platinum AWD) will be some good competition).
I disagree. Every brand needs entry level models. It is what pulls in younger people who then stay with the brand as their needs, and the needs of their family change. It's the reason you have the A3, Q1, X1, Evoque, GLA, UX....etc. More models is rarely a bad thing.
Old 04-13-2024, 06:39 AM
Drifting

Received 1,255 Likes on 912 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
I disagree. Every brand needs entry level models. It is what pulls in younger people who then stay with the brand as their needs, and the needs of their family change. It's the reason you have the A3, Q1, X1, Evoque, GLA, UX....etc. More models is rarely a bad thing.
The only thing I'll add to this is that Acura does suffer from a bit of an identity crisis. The entry level Acuras will both presumably run on CVT and won't have SHAWD as an option (anyone know how similar HRV AWD is to SHAWD?). When owners of said entry-level cars (essentially Honda+) are ready to move up, they will be met with:

1) Far worse fuel economy
2) SHAWD as an option
3) Overall heavier cars w/subsequent impact on brakes/rotors (haven't heard such issues from the Integra and time will tell with the ADX)
4) Infotainment that may or may not match what they've been using

I know some luxury makes may have similar identity crisis b/w entry level and higher level cars but at least Audi manages to keep a consistent luxury language even in entry level (i.e. A3 and Q3).
Old 04-13-2024, 07:27 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,531 Likes on 1,193 Posts
I've seen some threads with sh-awd vehicle having around +/- 30% driveline loss depending on front/rear bias % and how much tq vectoring. Doesn't leave a lot of power left over for performance at 200hp when you only have around 140-150 hp to work with. I can see why Acura would use the less power hungry CR-V "slip-n-grip" on demand awd system for vehicles under 200hp.

The exception might be a hybrid powertrain for less driveline power loss? Electric motors can be connected directly to the drive wheels, less mechanical moving parts, max tq at lower rpms, and usually no gears to shift with electric motors. The CDX/ADX with the new CR-V 204hp/247tq hybrid awd powertrain (or the previous gen 190hp/212tq) that gets 40-47 mpg range always on 87 octane at +/-$35,000 price range would be at the top of my list above the 2.0T RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by mrgold35:
ELIN (04-13-2024), Texasrdx21 (04-13-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 02:26 PM
mvl
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 153 Posts
Acura said the 25 ADX will be turbocharged, so that essentially says they aren't planning a hybrid. But they also said it was going to launch in 2024 just 3 months ago, and now they say 2025, so plans can change.

With a civic hybrid already announced for this year and no HRV Hybrid, it created enough space to for the ADX to be a hybrid and sell well in 2024. My guess is that with the financial markets predicting much longer high-interest-rates than they did 3 months ago, and the market share tilting low end with Honda massively outselling Acura in 1Q24, maybe Acura decided to reallocate hybrid parts they had reserved for a 2024 ADX back into more 2024 Civic Hybrids, and push off ADX to 2025 as they await more favorability in premium market demand.
Old 04-13-2024, 02:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgold35
I've seen some threads with sh-awd vehicle having around +/- 30% driveline loss depending on front/rear bias % and how much tq vectoring. Doesn't leave a lot of power left over for performance at 200hp when you only have around 140-150 hp to work with. I can see why Acura would use the less power hungry CR-V "slip-n-grip" on demand awd system for vehicles under 200hp.
Not sure it's THAT bad as the fuel economy numbers between FWD/AWD versions of Acuras would be a pretty dramatic which it isn't - more like 1-2 mpg. I think older versions of SH-AWD were pretty draggy but seems like the mechanical setup of today's version is not particularly unique anymore.

Originally Posted by mrgold35
The exception might be a hybrid powertrain for less driveline power loss? Electric motors can be connected directly to the drive wheels, less mechanical moving parts, max tq at lower rpms, and usually no gears to shift with electric motors. The CDX/ADX with the new CR-V 204hp/247tq hybrid awd powertrain (or the previous gen 190hp/212tq) that gets 40-47 mpg range always on 87 octane at +/-$35,000 price range would be at the top of my list above the 2.0T RDX.
A hybrid ADX with the CR-V Hybrid drivetrain would be a VERY popular car for a lot of folks. If they did that in Canada there'd be a year long wait list for one. Alas, it'd be too small for me - I'm instead looking at the Toyota Crown Signia instead as the wife feels the CR-V Hybrid isn't fancy enough (no pano roof, no ventilated seats)
The following users liked this post:
Techgirl (04-13-2024)