7 months & 9,000 miles in - review

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 07:30 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
7 months & 9,000 miles in - review

I purchased my white diamond/expresso 2019 AWD RDX Tech in August. After 7 months & 9,000 miles, I would absolutely recommend this car and would purchase another one. I came from a 2017 Base AWD RDX. The difference between these two cars is night and day from the technology, to the powertrain, to the interior materials, etc. While I liked my 2017, my 2019 blows it out of the water. I know people have come on here and voiced their concerns and challenges with their RDX, however, I personally disagree with many of the negative comments and opinions. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Is it a great SUV for the money? Definitely. Here are my likes and dislikes:
-Looks (subjective, I know) - exterior & interior
-Availability of expresso leather (again, subjective)
-Engine - Acceleration is amazing. Put it in Sport + mode and you feel like you're driving a sports car. Friends and family can't believe how fast this thing is for an SUV with its standard engine.
-Handling - Sporty for an SUV. Handles corners extremely well and is planted. Much, much better than my '17.
-Panoramic sunroof - Had one previously and missed it in my '17
-Stereo - ELS sounds great
-Comfort/space - front and rear seats are very comfortable and spacious as is the trunk (under floor storage bins are great too)
-Infotainment - lots of customization in my opinion and I actually really like the touchpad. The learning curve is there and, for me, was pretty short. I would say within 4-5 days, I had it down. It works intuitively and easily once you have the motions down.
-Overall, it does everything well. Is it exceptional in every category? Not really, but it does everything well enough that it adds up to a great vehicle.

Now, the dislikes:
-Parking sensors can't be muted. Our other car is a Lexus NX300. When you're close to something, you can temporarily mute the parking sensors. In the RDX, you can't that I've found. When you're at a car wash, drive-thru, etc. they'll beep constantly unless you push the button to shut the entire system off.
-Gas mileage - Noticeable decrease over my 2017. I am pretty disappointed, especially in the winter months where I sometimes don't average 20 mpg on a tank. I have used 89 (considered mid-grade in my area) since purchase. Overall, it is about 15% lower than my 2017. I used to be able to eek out 27/28 on the highway in my '17 but the highest I've ever seen on this one is 24ish.
-Button for the power tailgate is on the right side of tailgate and not the left--makes more sense to be on the driver's (left) side
-Can't change a channel with the steering wheel controls if a message pops up in the display - something insignificant and, at times, extremely annoying. I feel like Acura is still trying to get the display thing down from having the most basic one on my '17 to this super techy one.
-Only 12 XM presets are allowed
-The leather on the driver's seat under where my lower thighs/knees hit is pretty discolored. It is much darker in color than the rest of the seat, seemingly due to wear? I am not that big of a guy that I would think it would wear this much and discolor as it has done.
-Brake squeal - my brakes do squeal occasionally. It is so intermittent, I haven't had the dealer check it out. My 2017 had the same issue, but much worse. At 1,100 miles my rotors were replaced and that alleviated it. My 2019 isn't nearly as bad so I've just lived with it.
-Infotainment - I have not experienced major problems as some others have, but I will say it is a bit slower to start up than I'd like. Sometimes I have backed out of my garage, into the turnaround and gone down my long driveway and onto the road before the radio starts. Nav screen is the same. The first several times I used the nav system, I'd search and click on my destination and it would go to load and just fail. I have done several updates and it now works every time. Not sure if the updates helped, but it is actually usable now. I did get the black screen/no music once back in December. Shut the car off and it still didn't come back on. Car sat for about 2 hours and then everything worked like normal. Haven't experienced it again.

All of my dislikes are pretty minor and just things I've noticed over my trouble-free 7 months. I've had it to the dealer once for it's oil change and tire rotation. Other than that, no issues. Like I said, I would definitely recommend the vehicle and I would purchase another one. I look forward to future model updates to see what Acura does next with the RDX. I generally trade every 2 years, but I could see myself keeping this one much longer because I like it that much.
The following 3 users liked this post by matman1215:
catbert430 (03-24-2019), Madd Dog (03-24-2019), Twaeball (03-25-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice review

As for gas mileage, do you disable the auto-idle engine shut off? If you do, you are costing yourself MPGs

Beyond that, turbo engines by their very nature allow for bigger variations for gas mileage (especially compared to the official MPG).

Turbos improve fuel efficiency over their bigger displacement counterparts for the following reasons:

1) They consume less fuel at idle
2) They are more efficient at lower power loads (like cruising speeds below 60 or 65)
3) They shave weight

Now with the idle shut off factor one is reduced. Still the other two matter. The turbocharger allows that 2.0 engine to produce the power of a 3+ liter engine. If you use it for the occasional quick acceleration you will enjoy the best of both worlds (power and fuel economy). In fact, when the testers run the test course it's with experts on how to drive a vehicle efficiently and they get the best MPG possible. So the more you take advantage of the power and enjoy that quick acceleration the worst your observed MPG. If you use your brakes more than coasting when coming to lights and stop signs your MPG will be less. Finally if you disable the auto-idle engine stop you will see lower MPG
Old 03-24-2019, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
I do keep the auto start/stop feature enabled. It doesn’t bother me like it bothers others. With the RDX, I’ve noticed that as long as the heat isn’t on high, it’ll work unless it’s very cold. I haven’t read the exact parameters in the owner’s manual but it does work for me most of the time.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I purchased my white diamond/expresso 2019 AWD RDX Tech in August. After 7 months & 9,000 miles, I would absolutely recommend this car and would purchase another one. I came from a 2017 Base AWD RDX. The difference between these two cars is night and day from the technology, to the powertrain, to the interior materials, etc. While I liked my 2017, my 2019 blows it out of the water. I know people have come on here and voiced their concerns and challenges with their RDX, however, I personally disagree with many of the negative comments and opinions. Is it perfect? Definitely not. Is it a great SUV for the money? Definitely. Here are my likes and dislikes:
-Looks (subjective, I know) - exterior & interior
-Availability of expresso leather (again, subjective)
-Engine - Acceleration is amazing. Put it in Sport + mode and you feel like you're driving a sports car. Friends and family can't believe how fast this thing is for an SUV with its standard engine.
-Handling - Sporty for an SUV. Handles corners extremely well and is planted. Much, much better than my '17.
-Panoramic sunroof - Had one previously and missed it in my '17
-Stereo - ELS sounds great
-Comfort/space - front and rear seats are very comfortable and spacious as is the trunk (under floor storage bins are great too)
-Infotainment - lots of customization in my opinion and I actually really like the touchpad. The learning curve is there and, for me, was pretty short. I would say within 4-5 days, I had it down. It works intuitively and easily once you have the motions down.
-Overall, it does everything well. Is it exceptional in every category? Not really, but it does everything well enough that it adds up to a great vehicle.

Now, the dislikes:
-Parking sensors can't be muted. Our other car is a Lexus NX300. When you're close to something, you can temporarily mute the parking sensors. In the RDX, you can't that I've found. When you're at a car wash, drive-thru, etc. they'll beep constantly unless you push the button to shut the entire system off.
-Gas mileage - Noticeable decrease over my 2017. I am pretty disappointed, especially in the winter months where I sometimes don't average 20 mpg on a tank. I have used 89 (considered mid-grade in my area) since purchase. Overall, it is about 15% lower than my 2017. I used to be able to eek out 27/28 on the highway in my '17 but the highest I've ever seen on this one is 24ish.
-Button for the power tailgate is on the right side of tailgate and not the left--makes more sense to be on the driver's (left) side
-Can't change a channel with the steering wheel controls if a message pops up in the display - something insignificant and, at times, extremely annoying. I feel like Acura is still trying to get the display thing down from having the most basic one on my '17 to this super techy one.
-Only 12 XM presets are allowed
-The leather on the driver's seat under where my lower thighs/knees hit is pretty discolored. It is much darker in color than the rest of the seat, seemingly due to wear? I am not that big of a guy that I would think it would wear this much and discolor as it has done.
-Brake squeal - my brakes do squeal occasionally. It is so intermittent, I haven't had the dealer check it out. My 2017 had the same issue, but much worse. At 1,100 miles my rotors were replaced and that alleviated it. My 2019 isn't nearly as bad so I've just lived with it.
-Infotainment - I have not experienced major problems as some others have, but I will say it is a bit slower to start up than I'd like. Sometimes I have backed out of my garage, into the turnaround and gone down my long driveway and onto the road before the radio starts. Nav screen is the same. The first several times I used the nav system, I'd search and click on my destination and it would go to load and just fail. I have done several updates and it now works every time. Not sure if the updates helped, but it is actually usable now. I did get the black screen/no music once back in December. Shut the car off and it still didn't come back on. Car sat for about 2 hours and then everything worked like normal. Haven't experienced it again.

All of my dislikes are pretty minor and just things I've noticed over my trouble-free 7 months. I've had it to the dealer once for it's oil change and tire rotation. Other than that, no issues. Like I said, I would definitely recommend the vehicle and I would purchase another one. I look forward to future model updates to see what Acura does next with the RDX. I generally trade every 2 years, but I could see myself keeping this one much longer because I like it that much.
Excellent review. Honestly I love my RDX. A few build/assembly quality issues but nothing major (crossing fingers). I did ship oil sample back to Blackstone this week out of oil dilution concern. We’ll see the results soon. I wish the MPG was better.

The RDX is compact and sporty. Just the way I like it. My wife will probably want something like Lexus RX for her next car. MDX is going to be on our next shopping list in a few years.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:48 AM
DWG
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by matman1215
I do keep the auto start/stop feature enabled. It doesn’t bother me like it bothers others. With the RDX, I’ve noticed that as long as the heat isn’t on high, it’ll work unless it’s very cold. I haven’t read the exact parameters in the owner’s manual but it does work for me most of the time.
We leave auto start/stop enabled as well. I see people on this forum rail against it as if it were evil incarnate, but it doesn't bother us at all.