3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 177 Posts
Originally Posted by acuraada
...koolaids to me means you can't be objective, brand can do no wrong, refuse to be open minded and crucify anyone dares to say anything bad about it.
Yep, that perfectly describes the Subaru forums.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Believe me, we have some wack jobs like that on here too
i think all the forums do.

but it’s very instructive to cross-shop the forums lol. Bimmerfest seems full of questions about glitches and technical issues which tends to vouch for our deep mistrust of long-term BMW reliability!

I actually agree with the Mazda lounge forum about the Motor Trend review. I was in the CX-5 Signature yesterday and the CRV today (I own an older RDX but looking around). The CX-5 looked so much more elegant than the CRV but the CRV wins hands down as a family hauler.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by cheffip

i think all the forums do.

but it’s very instructive to cross-shop the forums lol. Bimmerfest seems full of questions about glitches and technical issues which tends to vouch for our deep mistrust of long-term BMW reliability!

I actually agree with the Mazda lounge forum about the Motor Trend review. I was in the CX-5 Signature yesterday and the CRV today (I own an older RDX but looking around). The CX-5 looked so much more elegant than the CRV but the CRV wins hands down as a family hauler.
That is true, it's a very good idea to go onto a forum of a prospective vehicle and just get a general idea with the caveat that they might not give a full picture.

I personally like the CRV a lot more than the CX-5. I don't know I'm just not fond of the long hood and short body and tiny taillights. The CRV OTOH LOOKS GOOD for the first time in its' existence. But the 1.5T oil issues and the CVT are hard for me to swallow. However if my wife or GF wanted it and it didn't have the 1.5T issues, I'd be on board!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:24 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts
The CRV OTOH LOOKS GOOD for the first time in its' existence. But the 1.5T oil issues and the CVT are hard for me to swallow.
Have you seen the new Honda Passport?

Old 01-12-2019, 11:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
If we are talking about CRV, did RAV4 make your list? The new design is so much better looking now, he white body and black top looks stunning. You also have a range of models to choose from, all with different looks. It's a good family hauler but not as luxurious as CX-5.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Sounds
Have you seen the new Honda Passport?
Yes and I think it looks really good. I'm a fan of the current Honda design language. I am however very hesitant when it comes to the Passport because of that ZF9 transmission. If you take a look around the forum there are various people mentioning not being able to live with their vehicles because of that transmission. I understand that the newer products are supposed to have better software tuning, but regardless of the software, the hardware - those dog clutches in particular - is still the same.

Now do I think the Honds 10AT is much better....I have yet to drive the 10AT yet and from what I've read on here and various reviews, it seems that the 10AT is still a little clunky too but possibly more livable.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:19 PM
Racer

I am however very hesitant when it comes to the Passport because of that ZF9 transmission. If you take a look around the forum there are various people mentioning not being able to live with their vehicles because of that transmission. I understand that the newer products are supposed to have better software tuning, but regardless of the software, the hardware - those dog clutches in particular - is still the same.
Yep, understood. I also heard that it has been improved, both software-side and hardware-side, but ????

Old 01-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Yep, understood. I also heard that it has been improved, both software-side and hardware-side, but ????
So when people were having entire transmissions replaced in 2015 and 2016 on the TLX they reportedly changed a couple of components but people with 2016 and 2017 MDX's were still having transmissions replaced and the hardware that was replaced was not enough to change the clunky shifting behavior.

From what I understand, only us car people really notice the strange shifting behaviour. So if you're just looking for an around town cruiser then it should be ok. One other thing I failed to mention is that it still uses a timing belt....I don't know about you but I was done talking about timing belts in the mid 2000's.

I will mention one other thing. The Passport at least has a useable 5000 pound towing capacity whereas the RDX has a laughable 1500 pounds. Bear in mind things like the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 have 4500 pounds. I understand that rear wheel drive based vehicles tend to have better tow capacity but 3000 pounds less? I'm wondering where the weakest link is.
Old 01-12-2019, 04:53 PM
Racer

The Passport at least has a useable 5000 pound towing capacity whereas the RDX has a laughable 1500 pounds. Bear in mind things like the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 have 4500 pounds. I understand that rear wheel drive based vehicles tend to have better tow capacity but 3000 pounds less? I'm wondering where the weakest link is.
And the Passport Elite level comes with AWD, standard. From what I understand it's the same (or at least 99% the same) as the SH-AWD on the RDX, it just has a different name.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:15 PM
Suzuka Master

And the Passport Elite level comes with AWD, standard. From what I understand it's the same (or at least 99% the same) as the SH-AWD on the RDX, it just has a different name.
Yup exactly, it is SH-AWD with a different name. Though I doubt the Passport is at all a sporty vehicle and the AWD is probably just for better traction not so much traction and handling.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Racer

Though I doubt the Passport is at all a sporty vehicle and the AWD is probably just for better traction not so much traction and handling.
Tis true.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That is true, it's a very good idea to go onto a forum of a prospective vehicle and just get a general idea with the caveat that they might not give a full picture.

I personally like the CRV a lot more than the CX-5. I don't know I'm just not fond of the long hood and short body and tiny taillights. The CRV OTOH LOOKS GOOD for the first time in its' existence. But the 1.5T oil issues and the CVT are hard for me to swallow. However if my wife or GF wanted it and it didn't have the 1.5T issues, I'd be on board!
I really need to test drive the CX5 and see for myself. That Signature trim has a lot of premium features (e.g. HUD, power folding mirrors, 360 cameras, LED lighting, etc.) that I really like. I just feel like their infotainment is a big "meh".
Old 01-12-2019, 07:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by knhellesky
I really need to test drive the CX5 and see for myself. That Signature trim has a lot of premium features (e.g. HUD, power folding mirrors, 360 cameras, LED lighting, etc.) that I really like. I just feel like their infotainment is a big "meh".
Yeah it's definitely worth a test drive and honestly it's incredibly premium for the segment and price point. I watched a review today on it actually and the infotainment was incredibly slow. Like way too slow. But I mean otherwise it's a great all around package. Something else to mention is that the interior is fairly tight, so make sure to take that into consideration and see if it's big enough for you.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:43 PM
Racer

Isn't the cargo space really small on the cx-5?
Old 01-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Advanced

Yes! I'm pretty sure it's below average compared to the CRV and RAV4, but am almost positive that it's about the same as the RDX
Old 01-12-2019, 07:57 PM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
If a large cargo space is important to you, the CX-5 should probably not be on your list. If refinement and performance are, it should be.

I agree, infotainment startup in the morning is slow. Hopefully, it will be addressed in an update.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by knhellesky
but am almost positive that it's about the same as the RDX
Hmm... I thought it was smaller. I might need to take a second look.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Hmm... I thought it was smaller. I might need to take a second look.
Someone posted a comparison pictures few pages up. From my point of few, few inches on the left room, raised center rear floor and no under carriage. Overall it feels a little smaller than RDX but big difference from RAV4 and CRV
Old 01-12-2019, 11:18 PM
Advanced

Yeah it's definitely worth a test drive and honestly it's incredibly premium for the segment and price point. I watched a review today on it actually and the infotainment was incredibly slow. Like way too slow. But I mean otherwise it's a great all around package. Something else to mention is that the interior is fairly tight, so make sure to take that into consideration and see if it's big enough for you.
I think that's what most of the folks are complaining about...and the that the 360 camera resolution is not good. Honestly....I'll take a below average 360 than none at all at this point.

Originally Posted by JustMe...
If a large cargo space is important to you, the CX-5 should probably not be on your list. If refinement and performance are, it should be.

I agree, infotainment startup in the morning is slow. Hopefully, it will be addressed in an update.
Yeah...cargo space is not a concern for me, but I'm pretty sure is a deal-breaker for others. I'm not hauling kids anymore so I'm not too worried about space.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:46 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Dimensions are very similar to my Gen 1 RDX...which makes it attractive to me since I don’t need extra space or length.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 314 Likes on 200 Posts
Pics of the trunk of both cars with a stroller in the back: https://imgur.com/gallery/mh6Ximx?

Measured capacity is about the same - 30 cubic feet each excluding the RDX's underfloor storage but the shape is different. The RDX has a longer trunk so you get a few more inches front to back.

The CR-V's trunk is MASSIVE - pretty much the biggest trunk you can get in either the compact or mid-size SUV space. It has the biggest trunk for any 2 row SUV that isn't over 200 inches long.
Old 01-13-2019, 11:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by supafamous
The CR-V's trunk is MASSIVE - pretty much the biggest trunk you can get in either the compact or mid-size SUV space. It has the biggest trunk for any 2 row SUV that isn't over 200 inches long.
Check out the 2-row 2019 Honda Passport.

Last edited by Sounds; 01-13-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Check out the 2-row 2019 Honda Passport.

Oh yes, that’s the new champ at 41 cubes versus the CRV’s 37. Amazing that the Passport is 10 inches longer but only has 4 cubes more.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM
Racer

Amazing that the Passport is 10 inches longer but only has 4 cubes more.
Extra legroom ??
Old 01-13-2019, 12:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 305 Likes on 195 Posts
The Edge's cargo capacity is rated at 39.2. Of course, the Edge is considerably larger than the CRV, which is a marvel of packaging.

Last edited by HotRodW; 01-13-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2019, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Oh yes, that’s the new champ at 41 cubes versus the CRV’s 37. Amazing that the Passport is 10 inches longer but only has 4 cubes more.
Yeah these 2 row mid-size crossovers like the Murano, Edge, Santa fe Sport...etc tend to vastly prioritize rear seat leg room over cargo space.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:16 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Yeah these 2 row mid-size crossovers like the Murano, Edge, Santa fe Sport...etc tend to vastly prioritize rear seat leg room over cargo space.
I believe some of those models have sliding 2nd row seats.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Pics of the trunk of both cars with a stroller in the back: https://imgur.com/gallery/mh6Ximx?

Measured capacity is about the same - 30 cubic feet each excluding the RDX's underfloor storage but the shape is different. The RDX has a longer trunk so you get a few more inches front to back.
Supa, have you made up your mind? I drove both cars back to back today again and also took along a friend in the passenger seats.

Despite the tremdous value and craftsmanship, I think the RDX is overall a better car. Coming from a GLK, the Mazda felt like a step down in terms of "luxury" interior. RDX on the other hand felt more on par and better.

The handling of the RDX I'd more precise and handling is alot better. I find myself adjusting more with CX-5 and if it had variable steering, it certainly requires tuning.

The RDX is also more spacious in the back seats. The middle seat flat flooring makes a huge difference. The pano roof also makes a difference in cabin spacial feel.

If the price is not an issue between the two and assuming RDX reliability holds up, it is a better call overall.

PS, speaking of craftsmanship, the two RDX on the showroom had some serious flaws, one with misaligned hatch door where one side shifts up higher than the other. The Aspec model also had disconnected rrubber lining on the hatch. Besure to really do your due diligence when taking delivery.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by acuraada
Supa, have you made up your mind? I drove both cars back to back today again and also took along a friend in the passenger seats.

Despite the tremdous value and craftsmanship, I think the RDX is overall a better car. Coming from a GLK, the Mazda felt like a step down in terms of "luxury" interior. RDX on the other hand felt more on par and better.

The handling of the RDX I'd more precise and handling is alot better. I find myself adjusting more with CX-5 and if it had variable steering, it certainly requires tuning.

The RDX is also more spacious in the back seats. The middle seat flat flooring makes a huge difference. The pano roof also makes a difference in cabin spacial feel.

If the price is not an issue between the two and assuming RDX reliability holds up, it is a better call overall.

PS, speaking of craftsmanship, the two RDX on the showroom had some serious flaws, one with misaligned hatch door where one side shifts up higher than the other. The Aspec model also had disconnected rrubber lining on the hatch. Besure to really do your due diligence when taking delivery.
We're gonna go with the RDX, the extra room, the pano sunroof and better handling won us over. The RDX is definitely the better overall car (as I would expect for the price) but the CX-5 held up really well - I'd happily recommend it to anyone in the market for a compact SUV.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Burning Brakes

We're gonna go with the RDX, the extra room, the pano sunroof and better handling won us over. The RDX is definitely the better overall car (as I would expect for the price) but the CX-5 held up really well - I'd happily recommend it to anyone in the market for a compact SUV.
yep, same here, no problem recommending the CX-5 at all especially if you want to keep it under $40k. Now on to the colors!
Old 09-14-2019, 07:19 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Just wondering if there are any updates regarding RDX and CX5 comparisons as I am shopping these two and others. I took short drives in both and REALLY wanted to like the Mazda more for the cost savings. But as great as it was, I just couldn’t seem to get comfortable in the seats. I’m holding off to see if the CX5 gets any seat updates for 2020.

I found the RDX very comfortable. But when crunching numbers the Mazda wins. While I’m waiting for 2020 info on the CX5, I’m trying to convince myself to spend the extra money on the RDX.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Cuzz
Just wondering if there are any updates regarding RDX and CX5 comparisons as I am shopping these two and others. I took short drives in both and REALLY wanted to like the Mazda more for the cost savings. But as great as it was, I just couldn’t seem to get comfortable in the seats. I’m holding off to see if the CX5 gets any seat updates for 2020.

I found the RDX very comfortable. But when crunching numbers the Mazda wins. While I’m waiting for 2020 info on the CX5, I’m trying to convince myself to spend the extra money on the RDX.
Comfort > saving a few bucks.

The 2020 CX-5 will not get any seat updates, since this is not a redesign year. I assume you are comparing against the Signature model CX-5, which has the upgraded Nappa leather option.

Seats are very personal and it's super important to be comfortable. I've read about a few people on the Mazda forum that have seat comfort issues, but that can be the case for a lot of vehicles. Especially, those with fewer adjustments like the Mazda. That said, my wife drives our CX-5 Sig more than me and we are very differently shaped. Neither of us have any issue with the seats.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:13 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 61 Posts

I would ask the dealers for extended test drives in both cars - several hours or even keep overnight. Some dealers are amenable to such arrangements.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:37 AM
Burning Brakes

Do you do long drives?

I would gladly pay extra for comfort. I could care less that Mazda has fewer hp and slower but comfort is important to me.

You need to ask yourself what's more of a priority? But if you are breaking the banks and area going to stress over the extra dollars, then no seat comfort is worth over financial stress.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:42 AM
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 114 Posts

I felt the same exact way. I ended with the RDX. I test drove the CX-5 Signature and hated how small and cramped the seats were, and could not get into a comfortable position. While test driving, I also experienced nausea in the CX-5 and no idea why. I also wanted to like the Mazda more as it was cheaper. The same day I test drove the RDX on a whim and fell in love with it. To me, it only cost me $4k more than the CX-5 signature for the RDX SH-AWD Advance model, as the dealer had a loaner it was selling in stock and was offering me 60 months, 1.9% financing through Acura Financial.

I found the CX-5 to be too small in almost all aspects. The front seats, the rear seats, and even the trunk! The screen was also too small and looked outdated.

Last edited by mathnerd88; 09-14-2019 at 09:45 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mathnerd88:
Comfy (09-23-2019), hockeyaddict (09-14-2019)
Old 09-14-2019, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JustMe...
Comfort > saving a few bucks.

The 2020 CX-5 will not get any seat updates, since this is not a redesign year. I assume you are comparing against the Signature model CX-5, which has the upgraded Nappa leather option.

Seats are very personal and it's super important to be comfortable. I've read about a few people on the Mazda forum that have seat comfort issues, but that can be the case for a lot of vehicles. Especially, those with fewer adjustments like the Mazda. That said, my wife drives our CX-5 Sig more than me and we are very differently shaped. Neither of us have any issue with the seats.
I also couldn't get comfortable with the seats on the CX-5 and it was one of the reasons I got the RDX as well. The extra space was something that was important for us to have.

Originally Posted by samiam_68
I would ask the dealers for extended test drives in both cars - several hours or even keep overnight. Some dealers are amenable to such arrangements.
I was able to do this - took a RDX out for 3 hours and then a CX-5 for an overnight right after. If they know you're serious they usually are fine with this.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:07 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
I was looking at the Mada CX-5 touring and CPO 2017 RDX. Since my budget was like 28k originally. The Mazda was an automatic no after I found out the screen was 7 inch, and makes the car look like it's from early 2000s. I decided 10 inch monitor screen was a minimum, and that help me persuade getting a new RDX. Also, I recently got raises after a career change. My family said I was going to amount to failure by pursuing my dreams. I was leaning towards a Lexus also to make a statement on my financial status. But, the RDX was too cool looking to even think about other vehicles in the same price range. I feel Lexus got too comfortable on their name recognition and is resting too much on their laurels for the NX300. I think if the Mazda had a 10 inch monitor I would have gotten the Touring model due to practicality.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:47 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX2O2O
I was looking at the Mada CX-5 touring and CPO 2017 RDX. Since my budget was like 28k originally. The Mazda was an automatic no after I found out the screen was 7 inch, and makes the car look like it's from early 2000s. I decided 10 inch monitor screen was a minimum, and that help me persuade getting a new RDX. Also, I recently got raises after a career change. My family said I was going to amount to failure by pursuing my dreams. I was leaning towards a Lexus also to make a statement on my financial status. But, the RDX was too cool looking to even think about other vehicles in the same price range. I feel Lexus got too comfortable on their name recognition and is resting too much on their laurels for the NX300. I think if the Mazda had a 10 inch monitor I would have gotten the Touring model due to practicality.
Sorry to hear about your NON supportive family.

Glad to hear about your successes!
Old 09-14-2019, 06:44 PM
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few things to think about. RDX still does not have android auto. There is an ongoing issue with limp mode that has no clear cause or fix. Finally, when you're slowing down and then want to hit the gas, the transmission kind of gets confused and won't do anything for 1-2 seconds; I suspect bad programming or too many gears.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
A word of advice from an older guy: screw what other people think about the car you drive. Drive the car that suits you and meets your needs. Who cares what strangers think, or what judgmental relatives think. I have owned and driven a stripped down Dodge Colt to a BMW 535, and I did it to suit the needs, desires, and budget of the day.
The following 3 users liked this post by Madd Dog:
Comfy (09-23-2019), RDX2O2O (09-15-2019), tntrac (09-18-2019)

Quick Reply: 3G RDX vs Mazda CX-5 Turbo