3G RDX Canadian Mtnc Minder for Brake Service -- Anyone Seen This Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2019, 09:11 AM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3G RDX Canadian Mtnc Minder for Brake Service -- Anyone Seen This Yet?

Brought my car into Acura this morning for the 24,000km "O16" service and was told by the Service Mgr that I should do a Brake Service too (approx $200). I declined. The brakes are working fine and as best I know the cold weather squeal issue is not fixed with a brake service. Two questions

1) Has anyone seen the Mtnc Minder "A9" or "O9" message and after how many kilometers did this occur?
2) For regular city driving how frequently should one do a brake service? I'm thinking every 40,000km assuming the breaks are working fine with the goal being preventative mtnc

Old 10-11-2019, 09:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
I haven't seen it on my RDX yet (too new) but I get this on my TSX every 3rd service or so. I've only had it done once outside of the normal brake pad replacement (where it makes sense to service the brakes). The brake service is basically the disassembly, cleaning, and lubricating of the brake callipers and pins. I find Honda/Acura are a bit too aggressive/cautious with this service IMO and I've never had a problem with my reduced rate of service (I've had it done roughly every 40-48K).
Old 10-11-2019, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
PRM-RDX-3G

the 016 doesn't have anything to do with the braking system. where did they get that from? the 0 is oil change 1 rotate tires and 6 is rear diff fluid change. i hate when dealers try and push something that doesn't need done or looked at.
The following users liked this post:
thoiboi (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 10:54 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Was it a "brake service" or a time based fluid flush? IIRC, the fluid flush is due every two years regardless of miles.

Degraded brake fluid has few symptoms until it gets real bad.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
A brake service is required whenever dust or rust buildup on the brakes resulting in squealing, seized calipers, etc ... even though the pads and disks are fine.

My IS350 used to have dusty brakes and the rear calipers froze. Lexus's answer was to replace the rear calipers. Instead a local mechanic did a brake service and all was good. Many manufacturers recommend doing this for proactive maintenance ... and I agree. It's just the frequency that's up for debate. My dealer tried to jam it in early ... at 25,000km. Will be interested to see when the Canadian Mtnc Minder says to do it.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:44 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by PRM-RDX-3G
A brake service is required whenever dust or rust buildup on the brakes resulting in squealing, seized calipers, etc ... even though the pads and disks are fine.

My IS350 used to have dusty brakes and the rear calipers froze. Lexus's answer was to replace the rear calipers. Instead a local mechanic did a brake service and all was good. Many manufacturers recommend doing this for proactive maintenance ... and I agree. It's just the frequency that's up for debate. My dealer tried to jam it in early ... at 25,000km. Will be interested to see when the Canadian Mtnc Minder says to do it.
I've never heard of a brake service to remove dust or rust buildup.

The only maintenance required for brakes is new pads/rotors and brake fluid, Any rust (after a car wash for example) will go away after you drive it a mile or so and I can't see any "dust buildup" that requires someone to do anything. There is no "preventive maintenance" aside from brake fluid.

I'd like to know what the "9" service includes.
Old 10-11-2019, 02:47 PM
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
Originally Posted by PRM-RDX-3G
Brought my car into Acura this morning for the 24,000km "O16" service and was told by the Service Mgr that I should do a Brake Service too (approx $200). I declined. The brakes are working fine and as best I know the cold weather squeal issue is not fixed with a brake service.
As another member mentioned, code O16 does not indicate the need for a brake service,

Brake servicing does not require the replacement of any parts and costs a negligible amount in material. It usually involves removing the two brake guide pins, lifting up the caliper, then cleaning an lubricating the surfaces that the pads slide on. This only takes about 10 minutes per wheel after the wheels have already been removed. Since I am able to do this myself, I do it once a year when I am putting my summer wheels/tires back on in the spring.

Although the O16 does not indicate a service is required, the average driver puts on 20,000 km per year. After a year of driving on salt covered roads, corrosion can occur, resulting in sticking pads and calipers which can degrade braking. Because of this, I do suggest an annual servicing if you live in an area where salt is used on the road.

Another thing to remember is that brake servicing never has to be done to maintain your warranty. If you choose to never get your brakes serviced until they make noise, or fail to stop you, it will not void your warranty. Because brakes are not covered by warranty , you can service them yourself, or go to an independent garage were the work will cost half as much as the dealership. NOTE: A defective caliper would be covered under the warranty, but that is beyond the traditional "brake service". If you or the independent mechanic determines you need a new caliper, then simply return to the dealership.