2023 RDX Experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 04:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2023 RDX Experience

Hello friends. I recently leased a 2023 RDX Acura aspec advance sh-awd. I own a 2005 TSX with almost 280K miles. Thought it was finally time for something new. I was eyeing the TLX (non Type S) but was a bit concerned with the size and lack of 360 cam on the aspec. The RDX is a great vehicle. I have about 350 miles on it so far. One thing I'm not too happy about is the gas mileage. It sucks with a capital S. lol. Otherwise, it drives great, and it feels really fast, but I have been used to driving the 200hp TSX for ages. I can only imagine how fast it would be with a KTuner stage 2 or 3. I haven't pushed it really hard yet.

One other thing that kind of bothered me at first is when driving on uneven roads, it seems like the vehicle bounces from side to side way more than I think it should as though the suspension is not stiff enough. Felt like I'm driving off road. Not sure if that is the nature of a SUV/CUV versus a sedan or if I'm overly sensitive or critical since it is a new car. This made me immediately feel some buyer's remorse and made me think I should have gone TLX. I admit I have never driven a TLX before so I can't judge the difference. The tire pressure on my RDX is about 39 to 40 PSI. There are some really good updates to the 2022+ model versus the prior years, but one thing that is a little disappointing is the lack of an individual/customized drive mode. It would have been nice to have sport suspension with normal drive mode engine. Otherwise, HUD is great, cabin is solid and quiet, sound is awesome, wireless android auto works flawlessly, feels fast, handles well. I'm used to the true touch pad. It's not that bad at all, but my understanding is this version of the infotainment system is faster than the one in the pre-2022 RDX and even the 6th gen TLX.

The following users liked this post:
pilozm (07-29-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:54 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by Cc516x
One other thing that kind of bothered me at first is when driving on uneven roads, it seems like the vehicle bounces from side to side way more than I think it should as though the suspension is not stiff enough. Felt like I'm driving off road. Not sure if that is the nature of a SUV/CUV versus a sedan or if I'm overly sensitive or critical since it is a new car. This made me immediately feel some buyer's remorse and made me think I should have gone TLX. I admit I have never driven a TLX before so I can't judge the difference. The tire pressure on my RDX is about 39 to 40 PSI. There are some really good updates to the 2022+ model versus the prior years, but one thing that is a little disappointing is the lack of an individual/customized drive mode. It would have been nice to have sport suspension with normal drive mode engine. Otherwise, HUD is great, cabin is solid and quiet, sound is awesome, wireless android auto works flawlessly, feels fast, handles well. I'm used to the true touch pad. It's not that bad at all, but my understanding is this version of the infotainment system is faster than the one in the pre-2022 RDX and even the 6th gen TLX.
I'd lower the tire pressures for sure - down to 35-37psi (I run 35psi) but I think the feeling you're experiencing is caused by the RDX having too much roll stiffness - it's not how the car responds to the initial movement but how bounces back and I think (my amateur opinion) it's due to too much left to right stiffness. I find the ride quality of the RDX to be really poor - too much roll stiffness, poor damping and spring matches. Along with a transmission that shifts too slowly I find it too difficult to hustle the car - it's entirely unnatural with no flow at all.
Old 07-24-2023, 05:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
I'd lower the tire pressures for sure - down to 35-37psi (I run 35psi) but I think the feeling you're experiencing is caused by the RDX having too much roll stiffness - it's not how the car responds to the initial movement but how bounces back and I think (my amateur opinion) it's due to too much left to right stiffness. I find the ride quality of the RDX to be really poor - too much roll stiffness, poor damping and spring matches. Along with a transmission that shifts too slowly I find it too difficult to hustle the car - it's entirely unnatural with no flow at all.
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. What model year of the RDX do you have? Does it have the adaptive dampers?

Old 07-25-2023, 07:28 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 910 Likes on 693 Posts
With respect to the harsh ride, are you sure they removed the shipping blocks on the springs?
Old 07-25-2023, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Hello friends. I recently leased a 2023 RDX Acura aspec advance sh-awd. I own a 2005 TSX with almost 280K miles. Thought it was finally time for something new. I was eyeing the TLX (non Type S) but was a bit concerned with the size and lack of 360 cam on the aspec. The RDX is a great vehicle. I have about 350 miles on it so far. One thing I'm not too happy about is the gas mileage. It sucks with a capital S. lol. Otherwise, it drives great, and it feels really fast, but I have been used to driving the 200hp TSX for ages. I can only imagine how fast it would be with a KTuner stage 2 or 3. I haven't pushed it really hard yet.

TSX and a RDX are very different. You'll get use to the SUV ride, just takes a while. Definitely not a sports car ride or handling. I came from a Genesis and Mini coupe JCW - moving to the RDX felt like a mini bus. BUT, the SHawd is a monster in the snow (even with stock tires).

Gas mileage in the beginning was terrible for my 2021 Aspec SHawd - best I got was 25mpg on the highway and lowest was 14mpg in the snow and subzero temps. City driving the RDX is where it's not efficient. However, once I passed 17K and she broke in a bit - best highway mpg was 27.5 mpg - on a very hot and rolling terrain 600 miles in one day on regular gas.
Tony Pac (07-25-2023)
Old 07-25-2023, 11:36 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by supafamous
I think the RDX rides great. I have a Tech with the 19s vs the 20s on the A-Spec. I find the ride firm, but never harsh or uncomfortable. I say this coming from a 2019 Subaru Legacy that had a supremely smooth ride. The other vehicle in the household is a 2015 Volvo XC60 thats a tab bit firmer without the handling benefits and isolation. You can really feel the hits in that one.
Old 07-26-2023, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 405 Likes on 286 Posts
Besides the tire pressure and roll stiffness supafamous mentioned, the poor ride quality is partially on the Goodyear tires. I switched my A-spec to Pirelli, and the ride quality becomes more acceptable. The car still rocks too much when only one side sees bump, though.

Gas mileage, you can improve hwy mpg by staying below low 70mph, and also actively manage the ACC. The ACC tends to call up turbo at slight uphill, so I would back off the speed setting to the point of not seeing the turbo meter red dot glowing. For city, try accelerating the car to a decent pace quickly, and let it coast is the best for mpg without being a moving roadblock.

Old 07-26-2023, 01:20 AM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts
'23 A-SPEC Advance owner here and I can attest that the gas mileage is less than ideal in the city, but hwy mpg is significantly better. I haven't passed 10k miles yet, but have noticed better fuel economy over time.

It's interesting that you noted a rough ride. In Comfort, I find the ride to be quite...comfortable. I think the adaptive dampers make a significant difference for those of us on 20" rims and stock tires.

22RDX95243 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-27-2023, 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 318 Likes on 202 Posts
Interesting. Thanks for the reply. What model year of the RDX do you have? Does it have the adaptive dampers?
2019 A-Spec so no adaptive dampers. I think the spring rates are too low and the dampers too stiff as a result to compensate - the spring rates being too low also mean they need more sway bar but that makes the car too stiff left to right leading to a "Bucky board" ride - it feels like it's rocking side to side a lot. There's way too much porpoising front to back as well - the car doesn't like to settle down causes the springs are too soft so there's lots of bouncing. With adaptive dampers the comfort settings helps with this since the dampers are not as stiff as the regular car.
Old 07-27-2023, 01:40 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey there! Thanks for sharing your experience. I have a 22 RDX Aspec Advance, SH-AWD and compared to the Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk I had, the Acura feels more planted. This may come down to the OEM tires and wheels more than anything though. Granted, I'm no expert and haven't done too much driving, other than on road with the RDX, but I'm curious how tires and wheels would effect the experience.

Mike.
Old 07-28-2023, 10:26 AM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
I swapped my tires out to Michelin CC2’s when I bought my 2022 ASpec/Advance. Those OEM Goodyears are not amazing.
22RDX95243 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by ross7777
I swapped my tires out to Michelin CC2’s when I bought my 2022 ASpec/Advance. Those OEM Goodyears are not amazing.
What is your hwy mpg with those, some have said they reduce mpg by 2-3 mpg due to the aggressive trend.
Old 07-28-2023, 04:43 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
What is your hwy mpg with those, some have said they reduce mpg by 2-3 mpg due to the aggressive trend.
I don't do a lot of highway driving but in mixed driving I am getting 22mpg.

The few road trips I've done I got around 26.
22RDX95243 (07-28-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 05:09 PM
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Your MPG mirrors mine. On the highways I was getting about 25 mpg with 22 around town. Keep in mind the highway driving was >70 mph most of the time.
Old 08-10-2023, 11:15 AM
Advanced

Received 59 Likes on 25 Posts
First full tank mpg report: 23.3 with 60/40 highway to city/town mix
One nice thing was my trip computer was exactly the same as my hand calculation at the pump. My former car (Murano) was Always 2-3 mpg on the aspirational side when using the computer 😝
22RDX95243 (08-10-2023)
Old 08-11-2023, 07:08 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
I'm used to the true touch pad. It's not that bad at all, but my understanding is this version of the infotainment system is faster than the one in the pre-2022 RDX and even the 6th gen TLX.
Please don't call it 6G TLX. Anyone who's been with Acura for at least 7 years knows there's only been two generations of the car known as TLX. Some misguided person on AZ decided to rename it to 6G claiming it is a direct descendant of the TL. The TL and 1st gen TLX were very much based on the Accord whereas the '21+ TLX was not (at least not until the Accord decides to have rear-wheel drive proportions like the current TLX). Besides, if the TLX truly was in its 6th generation, it should probably be a much better car.

I think you'll be ok w/your RDX. You'll have only slightly worse fuel econ and your car will be easier to park (especially since you have 360 camera). I don't know how old you are but your back might also thank you as well. I also don't miss banging my head on the TLX's interior ceiling after buckling my younger kids in. Your car has enough clearance that its bottom won't scrape the ground like the TLX will on some sloped driveways. The RDX is much more practical and the only thing really going for the TLX (besides having a Type S) is pure vanity.

Last edited by ELIN; 08-11-2023 at 07:17 AM.
Old 08-11-2023, 07:39 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 1,618 Likes on 975 Posts
Originally Posted by ELIN
Please don't call it 6G TLX. Anyone who's been with Acura for at least 7 years knows there's only been two generations of the car known as TLX. Some misguided person on AZ decided to rename it to 6G claiming it is a direct descendant of the TL. The TL and 1st gen TLX were very much based on the Accord whereas the '21+ TLX was not (at least not until the Accord decides to have rear-wheel drive proportions like the current TLX). Besides, if the TLX truly was in its 6th generation, it should probably be a much better car.

I think you'll be ok w/your RDX. You'll have only slightly worse fuel econ and your car will be easier to park (especially since you have 360 camera). I don't know how old you are but your back might also thank you as well. I also don't miss banging my head on the TLX's interior ceiling after buckling my younger kids in. Your car has enough clearance that its bottom won't scrape the ground like the TLX will on some sloped driveways. The RDX is much more practical and the only thing really going for the TLX (besides having a Type S) is pure vanity.
Elin, please define better for us My dad has 3rd gen TL and I have 4th Gen. I love my car but the 21+ TLX is much better car compared to those ones. The 3rd Gen was a very nice car and still very heavy front wheel.

I think Acura built an amazing car this time. No car is perfect but after driving the TLX and TLX TYPE S in several occasions, I can tell you it's an amazing product. again , watch Savagegeese reviews about the TLX and TLX TYPE S as you liked to refer to them. You will see what they say. Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2023, 08:01 AM
Drifting

Received 1,272 Likes on 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Tony Pac
Elin, please define better for us My dad has 3rd gen TL and I have 4th Gen. I love my car but the 21+ TLX is much better car compared to those ones. The 3rd Gen was a very nice car and still very heavy front wheel.

I think Acura built an amazing car this time. No car is perfect but after driving the TLX and TLX TYPE S in several occasions, I can tell you it's an amazing product. again , watch Savagegeese reviews about the TLX and TLX TYPE S as you liked to refer to them. You will see what they say. Enjoy!
There's a completely separate thread that states the throttle response of the '23 TLX is much better than the '21. No doubt improvements have also been made on the speed of the infotainment but I'm not sure about stability. Acura took a big risk coming up with their own infotainment apart from Honda (the one on my '18 MDX was as stable as can be).

As you have said sometimes, YTubers aren't the best judge. We are the ones actually paying our money and living with these cars!
Old 08-11-2023, 06:58 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Put it in Sport mode and you will notice a huge difference.