2022 sunroof defective.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 07:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2022 sunroof defective.

2022 RDX A Spec Advanced with 2300 miles. Started hearing wind noise at the front of the sunroof. Upon investigation, the weatherstripping is coming off the front of the glass sunroof. Acura advises that the part is on back order and it’s unclear when it will arrive. My new vehicle is locked in the garage of the Acura dealership until further notice.

I have since learned that this problem is widespread. The entire glass sunroof must be replaced. The weatherstripping cannot be repaired.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:13 PM
Pro

Received 192 Likes on 139 Posts
Bummer, sorry to hear that. So far my 22 has not had any sunroof problems. Hope u get it fixed soon.
The following users liked this post:
Bulletproof (07-13-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 07:06 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulletproof
2022 RDX A Spec Advanced with 2300 miles. Started hearing wind noise at the front of the sunroof. Upon investigation, the weatherstripping is coming off the front of the glass sunroof. Acura advises that the part is on back order and it’s unclear when it will arrive. My new vehicle is locked in the garage of the Acura dealership until further notice.

I have since learned that this problem is widespread. The entire glass sunroof must be replaced. The weatherstripping cannot be repaired.
That is a bummer. My 21 Aspec SHAWD has had zero issues in her first 11k miles.

Why is your Acura "locked in the garage of the dealership till further notice"? It's not a mechanical or safety issue.

Where did you hear it is a "widespread" issue?
Old 07-14-2022, 08:07 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
My '22 is at the dealer for them to diagnose a noise in the roof DIRECTLY behind the sunroof (Where the roller mechanism is for the shade). I told them on the highway at 73mph (I use Cruise a lot) the entire roof rattles. On my way to the dealer it was doing it, they have had it four days and they cant duplicate it. I am going there today to drive it with them and if it doesn't happen I will take it home and most likely get rid of it.

All the speakers in the car were crackling which the dealer heard but cant reproduce it. They told me that issue was resolved with new Fakra connectors in the dash harness. So no luck on that one.

I get 20mpg in "normal" mixed driving, (Keep in mind I use Cruise control a lot) so I am less than thrilled to begin with. The car is not all its hyped to be.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jeffola:
ESHBG (07-14-2022), TheDatanator (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeffola
My '22 is at the dealer for them to diagnose a noise in the roof DIRECTLY behind the sunroof (Where the roller mechanism is for the shade). I told them on the highway at 73mph (I use Cruise a lot) the entire roof rattles. On my way to the dealer it was doing it, they have had it four days and they cant duplicate it. I am going there today to drive it with them and if it doesn't happen I will take it home and most likely get rid of it.

All the speakers in the car were crackling which the dealer heard but cant reproduce it. They told me that issue was resolved with new Fakra connectors in the dash harness. So no luck on that one.

I get 20mpg in "normal" mixed driving, (Keep in mind I use Cruise control a lot) so I am less than thrilled to begin with. The car is not all its hyped to be.
Wow - frustrating to say the least on a brand new Acura. Been there with the dealers in the past where they can't replicate a issue, till you get there and drive it with the lead tech. Every vehicle has issues, you just got to find the one you can deal with them and not let the issues or short comings drive you crazy, The little things I can deal with, especially having two previous vehicles that broke all the time and left me stranded (to be towed to the dealer).

Avg 20 mpg in mixed driving, well mine is 17 mpg with mostly city and 23-25 mpg with the cruise on 72 for pure hwy. Seen a few posts of people on this forum saying they avg 26-27 mpg, not sure how - I'd have to get out and push for 1/2 the distance to get those lofty numbers. The RDX is a thirsty one, especially with SHawd.
Old 07-14-2022, 09:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 417 Posts
Try lubricating the sunroof rails. Something like this:

I did something similar using 3-in-One Silicone lubricant (something liquid, not a paste lubricant) I picked up at Lowe's and it rectified 99% of my sunroof woes. I'll get a pop every so often, but I haven't lubricated it a long time (those would probably go away upon re-lubrication), but my sunroof used to click, pop, rattle and squeak consistently over bumps and even undulations in the road. It would drive me up a f-ing wall. I did the same procedure as above, but added further lubrication to the rear seal (it's harder pushing the nozzle past the seal, but doable) and between the two panes of glass (between the stationary and movable section). I found the biggest source of noise was actually the center section where the two panes meet.

I also removed the windguard, which was a major source of rattles over bumps, but the squeaks, pops and clicks are from the frame. I used to follow the guy (Porsche told him to cease making videos) in the above video and that's what gave me the idea to try lubricating it. What a godsend.

Last edited by leomio2.0; 07-14-2022 at 09:16 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:03 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Texasrdx21
Wow - frustrating to say the least on a brand new Acura. Been there with the dealers in the past where they can't replicate a issue, till you get there and drive it with the lead tech. Every vehicle has issues, you just got to find the one you can deal with them and not let the issues or short comings drive you crazy, The little things I can deal with, especially having two previous vehicles that broke all the time and left me stranded (to be towed to the dealer).

Avg 20 mpg in mixed driving, well mine is 17 mpg with mostly city and 23-25 mpg with the cruise on 72 for pure hwy. Seen a few posts of people on this forum saying they avg 26-27 mpg, not sure how - I'd have to get out and push for 1/2 the distance to get those lofty numbers. The RDX is a thirsty one, especially with SHawd.
Just got back from the dealer, we took a drive and the Service manager heard it plain as day. He felt something in his feet, and feels its the driveshaft (Car has SH-AWD) creating a resonance that get the roof to vibrate like this. So I am not crazy but he said he would take the roof apart and look now that he knows where its rattling.

On the subject of the crackling speakers, hasn't done it since I dropped it off to the first dealer (They did hear it and confirmed as much) but it didn't happen again and they said its not anything that Acura will pay to find. So, we have two problems confirmed by the dealers, and one is being tracked down, the other is just being left alone. Unless Honda gives me an extended warranty, this '22 RDX A-Spec Advance is going to be traded or sold. I wont keep it with potential electrical issues.

Old 07-14-2022, 11:27 AM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts

First, they replaced the MOST bus connectors on mine. It got better but not ALL better. Then, they replaced both harnesses. Had to gut the interior and remove the dash. Took two days. All better now (so far).

There's a warranty extension out to 6 years on the MOST bus. But you should have the new and improved harnesses in your '22, so I don't know.
https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...ailure-993654/
Old 07-14-2022, 11:34 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NooYawkuh
First, they replaced the MOST bus connectors on mine. It got better but not ALL better. Then, they replaced both harnesses. Had to gut the interior and remove the dash. Took two days. All better now (so far).

There's a warranty extension out to 6 years on the MOST bus. But you should have the new and improved harnesses in your '22, so I don't know.
Dealer told me the same, the updated parts are used to build the '22's soooo..... why would it be happening? Acura has no idea, and its the VERY SAME issue.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:13 PM
Cruisin'

That is a bummer. My 21 Aspec SHAWD has had zero issues in her first 11k miles.

Why is your Acura "locked in the garage of the dealership till further notice"? It's not a mechanical or safety issue.

Where did you hear it is a "widespread" issue?
the dealership tested it and it leaked. I kept it in a garage and didn’t drive it in the rain very much.
Old 07-14-2022, 01:29 PM
Burning Brakes

the dealership tested it and it leaked. I kept it in a garage and didn’t drive it in the rain very much.
Yikes! Hopefully they get it fixed for you. Personally I wish the "sunroof" was a option, as I never use it at all, Just a big heat sink and potential issues.
The following 3 users liked this post by Texasrdx21:
Bulletproof (07-14-2022), EFR (07-14-2022), leomio2.0 (07-14-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 02:42 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Yikes! Hopefully they get it fixed for you. Personally I wish the "sunroof" was a option, as I never use it at all, Just a big heat sink and potential issues.
Agree...I wonder what the utilization of sunroofs is overall?...not that there is any particular way of getting data like that, but I never use it either. Coming up on 4 years and maybe opened it once, twice? As an 'option' would be best, for some anyway.
Old 07-14-2022, 02:53 PM
Burning Brakes

100%

If possible, I'll never own another vehicle with a panoramic sunroof ever again.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:07 AM
Cruisin'

This is the exact same problem on a 22 MDX.Looks like Acura got som defective sunroofs.
Old 07-15-2022, 07:10 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

this is the exact same problem on a 22 MDX.
https://youtu.be/DJvRYpdX7Yc
Unreal, how can they not address problems that are common to their models? I know the folks on this forum are here for support, and we see their worst ownership moments, but its pretty scary to get so many replies to so many threads with many issues.

Old 07-15-2022, 08:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Unreal, how can they not address problems that are common to their models? I know the folks on this forum are here for support, and we see their worst ownership moments, but its pretty scary to get so many replies to so many threads with many issues.
Wow. Why does the entire sunroof need to be replaced? Can't the seal just be reattached to the roof? Must have been a inferior batch of sunroofs where the adhesive came undone in the front. That can't be so difficult to engineer a better seal that can attach to the original sunroof - without having to take the entire headliner out, replace the complete roof. Or, are they only going to replace the front glass roof panel? Surely there has to be a simple, effective and easy solution.

Engineering wise, appears the front of the sunroof seal is getting squeezed and pressure put on it when the glass roof is opened and closed, as it has to pivot to pop up. This, one would focus on making the attachment of that frontal area of the seal on the glass roof much stronger.

Seems like Acura, it's engineers and suppliers could come uo with a simple solution to rectify this issue. I see it as no different that a door, tailgate or other seal issue.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 07-15-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 549 Likes on 355 Posts
One of my biggest gripes with Acura is that you see similar issues going on for many years. Brakes, sunroof...all issues with my '09 TSX and here we are how many years later and people are still having issues with these parts.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:43 AM
Burning Brakes

Just looked at my 2021 RDX sunroof, the seal on the glass roof is a very rigid one, then a very soft thick seal around the sunroof base/track that’s like a door seal - appears to be removable if it breaks.

Appears from the MDX video Acura moved to a different sunroof supplier - as that video showed a soft seal attached to the glass roof.

See photo of mine. Big thick seal on the base, hard fixed seal on the glass panel. What looks like leaves, is actually the headliner cut to form to the curve of the inside of the sunroof try where the shade goes pver.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 07-15-2022 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 02:09 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts

did you put the headunit in diagnosis mode and check for the audio errors
Old 07-15-2022, 02:11 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by NooYawkuh

buddy whos a honda tech has replaced alot of the fakra harnesses and he has had a few come back even with the new ones

what HAS fixed them is loosening the oem ties right where they connect, it’s so tight from the factory on some models that they are pinched(and causes the crackling audio)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:16 AM
Automotive Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Type X
I didnt, but the dealer did (so they said) and they said no faults. Happened 3 or 4 times, last time was when I brought it into the dealer. So they heard it but it didnt happen again so they did nothing.

Acura corp recommended I take it to another dealer. its been there 8 days, I was there on Thursday of last week because they couldn't reproduce the roof noise. So we went for a ride and there it was....... The service manager looked at me like I was crazy, He initially thought it was the luggage shade, so we stopped and he removed it. Noise was still present. Spoke to them friday evening and they had taken the headliner out and found no smoking guns. Should have it buttoned up today and back to me, he said he HOPES that it will resolve the issues. They tightened up every bolt and fastener they can find. 15 days out of service so far.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:07 PM
Skeptic

Received 427 Likes on 283 Posts
This is actually my first car with any kind of sunroof. I never really felt I needed one. But I always heard that once you have it, you can't live without it.

I can live without it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NooYawkuh:
ESHBG (07-19-2022), GW208 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the exact same problem with my 2022 RDX purchased in Feb. Took around 4 weeks to get in the new glass at the dealer.

Old 07-18-2022, 06:59 PM
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
… it seems wrong that owners have to be savvy with diagnostic mode on a routine basis. Same with the issues that require a battery disconnect as the recommended ‘fix’. The bugs - both software and otherwise - in this car are unreal.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:45 PM
Automotive Enthusiast

Not hijacking this thread, but I got my car back from the dealer this evening, rattles like heck.

Video link here
Old 07-18-2022, 07:58 PM
iWhine S/C 6MT TL

Received 2,563 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Not hijacking this thread, but I got my car back from the dealer this evening, rattles like heck.

Video link here https://youtube.com/shorts/pY7-ZCqlxrc

If your headliner was removed, it's likely related to the noise. Take it back, it's still under warranty.
The following users liked this post:
leomio2.0 (07-25-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 08:05 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Video link here https://youtube.com/shorts/pY7-ZCqlxrc
It must be me, of course. I hear the wind, but that's it.
Old 07-24-2022, 08:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by estroll
I have the exact same problem with my 2022 RDX purchased in Feb. Took around 4 weeks to get in the new glass at the dealer.
I’m on week 3 in the shop and they have no idea when the backordered glass will arrive. No happy right now.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 04WDPSeDaN
If your headliner was removed, it's likely related to the noise. Take it back, it's still under warranty.
I'm thinking this. Acura uses plastic "velcro" that locks into one another to attach the headliner. They may be broken or not fully seated. I would go around the headliner and give everything a nice push upwards and listen for any positive clicks. This was the case for buzzing right above my head on my headliner that had never been touched or removed. Eventually, I pulled it down and put some adhesive on the "nubs" and it solved my issue.

Due to the fact that it was worked on by the dealer, I'd 100% bring it back to them and have them rectify it before trying to fix it yourself.

Originally Posted by EFR
It must be me, of course. I hear the wind, but that's it.
If you turn your speakers up, you can hear the low frequency buzzing/rattling
Old 07-26-2022, 07:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Dang, if my RDX had that many issues - I'd reduce my stress by trading it in for something else. Before the used car market turns.

Had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 Quad-drive which from day 3 was the biggest lemon I ever owned. Was at the dealer almost weekly, once the warranty ended - everything started to break quicker. Best feeling was when I traded it in for a Audi - which never had one issue and dealing with the dealer was only for maintenance.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:58 AM
Cruisin'

Dang, if my RDX had that many issues - I'd reduce my stress by trading it in for something else. Before the used car market turns.

Had a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited V8 Quad-drive which from day 3 was the biggest lemon I ever owned. Was at the dealer almost weekly, once the warranty ended - everything started to break quicker. Best feeling was when I traded it in for a Audi - which never had one issue and dealing with the dealer was only for maintenance.
the clock is running on Acura. Week 3 and still no word. We have a Lemon Law here. It wouldn’t be the first vehicle I made a dealer buy back.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

the clock is running on Acura. Week 3 and still no word. We have a Lemon Law here. It wouldn’t be the first vehicle I made a dealer buy back.
Guess you username "Bulletproof" doesn't apply to your RDX.

That is just wrong. 3 weeks with the car at the dealer, hopefully you have a loaner. I'd be outraged after week one.

I was in a similar position, as the crank sensor of my Jeep broke on day 3, towed to the dealership which at that time the part was on back order. Finally got them take one out of a brand new vehicle on the lot and get mine running - as they offered no loaner and the Jeep would not start.

Sadly, Acura is in a tough position - every dealer I pass by their parking lots are empty with only a couple new cars. This business model can be sustained for much longer, and has a direct impact on parts for warranty, maintenance and collision repairs.

Last edited by Texasrdx21; 07-26-2022 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-26-2022, 11:29 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Guess you username "Bulletproof" doesn't apply to your RDX.

That is just wrong. 3 weeks with the car at the dealer, hopefully you have a loaner. I'd be outraged after week one.

I was in a similar position, as the crank sensor of my Jeep broke on day 3, towed to the dealership which at that time the part was on back order. Finally got them take one out of a brand new vehicle on the lot and get mine running - as they offered no loaner and the Jeep would not start.

Sadly, Acura is in a tough position - every dealer I pass by their parking lots are empty with only a couple new cars. This business model can be sustained for much longer, and has a direct impact on parts for warranty, maintenance and collision repairs.

We are no longer able to get a loaner (claim inventory), they don't have one of those van/driver deals where they pick up and drop people off, and are now using Lyft/Uber. I would imagine this is getting expensive...our last ride home was almost $70. I don't know how the economics plays against loaners and vans though.
Old 07-31-2022, 10:07 AM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by EFR
We are no longer able to get a loaner (claim inventory), they don't have one of those van/driver deals where they pick up and drop people off, and are now using Lyft/Uber. I would imagine this is getting expensive...our last ride home was almost $70. I don't know how the economics plays against loaners and vans though.
this is a horror story. Are they gonna compensate you with no loaner?
Old 07-31-2022, 11:30 AM
EFR
Burning Brakes

No, they are paying for that Lyft ride every time (I have to tip), but I'll bet just us alone are up to about $500 or $600 in round trip rides (we don't live all that close) and the trips are building up. Multiply us times everyone else needing a ride and...gotta be expensive. But this no loaner thing kinda sucks. Just a side note, my wife has mostly taking it to the dealer, where it is now and will be stationed for another week or so waiting for parts that are on back order or something. I did the car drop-off duty last time and I would have sworn the dealership was closed...talk about no cars, wow. That lot was empty. I have no empathy for charging above MSRP, but after seeing this, that attitude may be cracking a little. I don't know why I thought inventories were getting at least a tiny bit better.
Old 08-03-2022, 02:27 AM
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
Just looked at my 2021 RDX sunroof, the seal on the glass roof is a very rigid one, then a very soft thick seal around the sunroof base/track that’s like a door seal - appears to be removable if it breaks.

Appears from the MDX video Acura moved to a different sunroof supplier - as that video showed a soft seal attached to the glass roof.

See photo of mine. Big thick seal on the base, hard fixed seal on the glass panel. What looks like leaves, is actually the headliner cut to form to the curve of the inside of the sunroof try where the shade goes pver.
My wife's 2022 ( Feb 2022 build date) also has what appears to be a "hard fixed seal on the glass panel" as you say about your 2021, but I think that the sagging seal in estroll's photo is actually the same.

I found this interesting request for information from AHMC to Acura Service Managers, dated January of 2022: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...06460-0001.pdf

-Gary
Old 08-05-2022, 09:20 AM
Cruisin'

I was just told by Acura of Baton Rouge that the part is on back order till October at the earliest. I was also informed rather rudely that they are taking back my loaner and I will have to get a rental car. I am going to have to lawyer up. Do not buy a 22 Acura RDX until this know sunroof problem is resolved.

This is my first Acura and their service is egregious.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:08 AM
Burning Brakes

I was just told by Acura of Baton Rouge that the part is on back order till October at the earliest. I was also informed rather rudely that they are taking back my loaner and I will have to get a rental car. I am going to have to lawyer up. Do not buy a 22 Acura RDX until this know sunroof problem is resolved.

This is my first Acura and their service is egregious.
Oh, my. So you can't get the RDX back from the dealer till they get the replacement part in October? That's nuts - regardless if you have a loan on it or not. Of course they want their loaner back, as they probably want to sell it soon with the least amount of mile on it. Unacceptable to me. - there has to be other options.

Can't they glue that seal back to the glass roof and close it (disabling it from opening), so you can use it till the replacement roof comes in?
Old 08-05-2022, 10:16 AM
Cruisin'

Oh, my. So you can't get the RDX back from the dealer till they get the replacement part in October? That's nuts - regardless if you have a loan on it or not. Of course they want their loaner back, as they probably want to sell it soon with the least amount of mile on it. Unacceptable to me. - there has to be other options.

Can't they glue that seal back to the glass roof and close it (disabling it from opening), so you can use it till the replacement roof comes in?
Acura of Baton Rouge said they tested it and it leaks now. I’m disabled and they have only called me one time in a month to update me. I was told when I called a week ago the the part would be shipped by Acura today. When I asked today as to what has changed, the service female got extremely defensive. And told me they have many cars in the service department under similar circumstances. I really don’t care to hear that, not my problem.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:24 AM
Safety Car

Received 3,441 Likes on 1,888 Posts
Acura of Baton Rouge said they tested it and it leaks now. I’m disabled and they have only called me one time in a month to update me. I was told when I called a week ago the the part would be shipped by Acura today. When I asked today as to what has changed, the service female got extremely defensive. And told me they have many cars in the service department under similar circumstances. I really don’t care to hear that, not my problem.
Experiences like this I think is why Acura is merely a stepping stone to other luxury brands that do right by their customers. If they need the loaner back the least they can do is put you in a rental.

Quick Reply: 2022 sunroof defective.