2021 RDX tailgate opening and closing operation

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 08:52 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2021 RDX tailgate opening and closing operation

I noticed that the tailgate sometimes opens very smoothly and closes quietly. Other times it opens with a slightly louder than normal moaning sound and it closes with a hard clunk sound.
I've some threads where it could be weather related? Or can also be associated with a misalignment of the door itself.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:26 AM
RDX ILX TSX

Received 151 Likes on 86 Posts
Have not experienced this with my tailgate on my 2020 Advance after 13,000 miles. My only rant concerns the hands-free access function. Carrying two bags of groceries and attempting to open the tailgate by using the forward - back motion works sporadically. It must be comical to bystanders watching my wife and I holding bags while on one foot performing the one-legged dance with the tailgate not responding. We'll do the front-back, side-by-side, round and round leg routine with usually no response.

Now - we just use the tailgate button instead of looking like idiots who don't know how to operate their vehicle. ...and yes the keyless access remote is in a pocket.
The following users liked this post:
amcobra (05-27-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 09:31 AM
9th Gear

That is comical.
Mine doesn't have the hand free option but sometimes I wish I had it.
Old 05-24-2021, 09:38 AM
9th Gear

That is comical.
Mine doesn't have the hand free option but sometimes I wish I had it.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:54 AM
Pro

Received 223 Likes on 137 Posts
My 2019 RDX was a moaner and groaner whenever the weather was warm. It wasn’t very bothersome to me and I never reported it to the dealer.
I bought the 2021 RDX in late November and it never made any noise until this week.. The daily highs have been in the mis 80s and now it’s groaning at the top of its travel.
I‘ve come to consider it normal.

I also found that the hands-free tailgate was virtually useless and was kicking up a storm to get it to work intermittently. Then one day, I was walking behind the car in the garage and the tailgate kept opening repeatedly. I was totally annoyed but, it made me realize that I was trying too hard. Now, I just gently swipe my foot under the bumper at ground level and it works very well.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:50 PM
Drifting

Received 803 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Vince D
Have not experienced this with my tailgate on my 2020 Advance after 13,000 miles. My only rant concerns the hands-free access function. Carrying two bags of groceries and attempting to open the tailgate by using the forward - back motion works sporadically. It must be comical to bystanders watching my wife and I holding bags while on one foot performing the one-legged dance with the tailgate not responding. We'll do the front-back, side-by-side, round and round leg routine with usually no response.

Now - we just use the tailgate button instead of looking like idiots who don't know how to operate their vehicle. ...and yes the keyless access remote is in a pocket.
It takes a slight kicking motion under the middle of the bumper like a gentle kick of a football. (Forward and back) I have had several cars with this function, and once you figure out out, it is great. My Corsair has it as well. Cars with the hitch may need the kicking action to be a bit on the side of the hitch.

I recommend you practicing at home so it becomes easy.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Snoopy33
I noticed that the tailgate sometimes opens very smoothly and closes quietly. Other times it opens with a slightly louder than normal moaning sound and it closes with a hard clunk sound.
I've some threads where it could be weather related? Or can also be associated with a misalignment of the door itself.
I had a similar issue with my 2019 at around 5k miles. It was an intermittent problem where it would squeak/moan when opening/closing. I reported it to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty. Per my service records, it looks like it involved replacing the spring assembly and clip on the right side (the sound was coming from the right).

Last edited by anoop; 05-24-2021 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 12:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

My personal take is that less tech is always better, especially when it comes to cars because automakers don't really have tech in their DNA. The last piece of truly useful tech that was put in cars (after ABS) was the backup camera. Almost everything else is part nuisance and one has to decide whether to live with the nuisance or ignore the feature altogether.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by anoop
My personal take is that less tech is always better, especially when it comes to cars because automakers don't really have tech in their DNA. The last piece of truly useful tech that was put in cars (after ABS) was the backup camera. Almost everything else is part nuisance and one has to decide whether to live with the nuisance or ignore the feature altogether.
Hmmm... I am significantly older than you, and I embrace the tech in cars. Each person is different. (I was going to say " to each his own" but that sounded harsher than I intended)
amcobra (05-27-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 01:17 PM
9th Gear

I had a similar issue with my 2019 at around 5k miles. It was an intermittent problem where it would squeak/moan when opening/closing. I reported it to the dealer and it was fixed under warranty. Per my service records, it looks like it involved replacing the spring assembly and clip on the right side (the sound was coming from the right).
Thank you for the info.
I'll bring it up on my first oil change and hopefully capture both scenarios on video for further proof.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JB in AZ
Hmmm... I am significantly older than you, and I embrace the tech in cars. Each person is different. (I was going to say " to each his own" but that sounded harsher than I intended)
Has nothing to do with age for me. I've always been a bit of a technophobe. When I bought BMWs (3 of them, first one in early 30's) they were always stripped down. Even in my 20's I was very slow to accept and use online banking. The irony is that I work in tech.

So back to cars -- automakers and their suppliers are far behind when it comes to state of the art tech (hence they are now starting to partner with the likes of google and amazon to run the entire infotainment for them). Also, because they have to integrate pieces of a solution from multiple suppliers and they don't have tech in their DNA, chances of getting it right are low. Normally it would take years for tech to mature and be introduced in mid/low end cars, but now that cycle has accelerated which means a lot of half-baked tech makes its way to the consumer. Sure, I appreciate having adaptive cruise control on long drives in light traffic (good part), but I find it unusable in heavy traffic because it's very jerky (nuisance part). I have similar comments about things like lane departure, carplay, etc.

For me, the priority with cars right now is a comfortable seat and a comfortable ride. 90+% of the time I drive in silence with no nav/music and the only tech features enabled are the rear backup camera, parking sensors (even that doesn't work well for the RDX because there are no sensors on the side of the rear bumper), and front collision mitigation.

Last edited by anoop; 05-24-2021 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:56 PM
RDX ILX TSX

It takes a slight kicking motion under the middle of the bumper like a gentle kick of a football. (Forward and back) I have had several cars with this function, and once you figure out out, it is great. My Corsair has it as well. Cars with the hitch may need the kicking action to be a bit on the side of the hitch.

I recommend you practicing at home so it becomes easy.
So here's the kicker, JB. (Pun intended)

The slight kicking football motion forward and back worked perfectly every time when it was new. Life was good. We looked at other drivers struggling with their keys while opening their tailgate; dropping groceries or whatever. We walked up, forward kicked and they look at us like we were performing miracles when the tailgate opened pronto. Then - after a few months it became a little more pesky to our current situation where my wife and I now appear to be creating a tik-tok dance video.

Life is still good. Love the RDX.
The following 2 users liked this post by Vince D:
amcobra (05-27-2021), JB in AZ (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 02:22 PM
Drifting

So here's the kicker, JB. (Pun intended)

The slight kicking football motion forward and back worked perfectly every time when it was new. Life was good. We looked at other drivers struggling with their keys while opening their tailgate; dropping groceries or whatever. We walked up, forward kicked and they look at us like we were performing miracles when the tailgate opened pronto. Then - after a few months it became a little more pesky to our current situation where my wife and I now appear to be creating a tik-tok dance video.

Life is still good. Love the RDX.
Good one! "kicker" ..

I have no idea how the sensor works but, just thinking out loud... I wonder if it gets dirty? And can be cleaned? Mine never get less sensitive, and we rarely get any rain, etc.
Old 05-24-2021, 02:33 PM
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 83 Posts
I'm gonna need to tell my dealership this. They been half-assing me on fixing my tailgate moaning issue. First time just lubing it. Second time changing the seal and now a 3rd attempt is needed to correct this.

OP I share your frustration. Let me know what they do for you.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:12 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
No hands-free op on the A-Spec. I don't care for the kicking thing, either,. Heck, my wife's Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy only requires the person with the key in their pocket to walk up to the back of the vehicle, stand there for two seconds, and the hatch opens by itself. Friggin' awesome.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trek
No hands-free op on the A-Spec. I don't care for the kicking thing, either,. Heck, my wife's Hyundai Palisade Calligraphy only requires the person with the key in their pocket to walk up to the back of the vehicle, stand there for two seconds, and the hatch opens by itself. Friggin' awesome.
And no hands free when closing it, right? Acura's way is batter. When you have you hands full after taking something out of the hatch, how do you then close it? We had a Hyundai (briefly) with that feature. It would open by it self when we were in a parking lot. I would get out of the driver's side of the car, start walking past the rear to meet my wife as she got out, and the tailgate would open. NO THANKS!

I thought the PMC had the Advance features? Which would include the hands free tailgate.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-24-2021 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-24-2021, 03:22 PM
Drifting

deleted Posted in error

Old 05-24-2021, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'm always reminded of this when I see tech at work for consumers.

Old 05-24-2021, 07:46 PM
RDX ILX TSX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwahG1s4dqI

amcobra (05-27-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 08:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

^ This one comes to mind when I think of the way the financial system functions.
amcobra (05-27-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts
And no hands free when closing it, right? Acura's way is batter. When you have you hands full after taking something out of the hatch, how do you then close it? We had a Hyundai (briefly) with that feature. It would open by it self when we were in a parking lot. I would get out of the driver's side of the car, start walking past the rear to meet my wife as she got out, and the tailgate would open. NO THANKS!

I thought the PMC had the Advance features? Which would include the hands free tailgate.
Not included in the PMC because of the A-Spec rear diffuser. I think it blocks it. I haven't heard of an A-Spec with the hands free. Have you?
Old 05-25-2021, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trek
Not included in the PMC because of the A-Spec rear diffuser. I think it blocks it. I haven't heard of an A-Spec with the hands free. Have you?
No I have not, Just had heard that the PMC had all the Advance features, I was wrong, I guess. Isn't the first time! Won't be the last.
I love my hands free tailgates, it is now a purchase requirement for me.

Last edited by JB in AZ; 05-25-2021 at 07:28 PM.