2019 RDX infotainment screen remains on after pressing Engine start/stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 11:14 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 RDX infotainment screen remains on after pressing Engine start/stop

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but the infotainment screen remains on after I press the Engine start/stop button. The screen shuts off only when I open the driver side door. Is there a way to shut off everything before I open the drive side door? Sometimes, I just want to sit in the car but wants to turn off everything to avoid battery drain.

This is what I'm doing right now:
1. Brake is pressed and I press P (Park).
2. I take my foot off the brake.
3. I then press the Engine start/stop button (and infotainment screen remains turned on).
4. Infotainment screen turns off only when I open the driver side door.

Thanks!
Old 08-16-2019, 11:30 AM
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
For such an uncommon scenario just open and close the door...
The following users liked this post:
Texasrdx21 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-16-2019, 12:48 PM
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 127 Posts
It does this because it puts the car in accessory mode. Just open and close the door. Easy breezy and quick.
The following users liked this post:
Texasrdx21 (08-21-2024)
Old 08-16-2019, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by lunarmoon123
Hello,

I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but the infotainment screen remains on after I press the Engine start/stop button. The screen shuts off only when I open the driver side door. Is there a way to shut off everything before I open the drive side door? Sometimes, I just want to sit in the car but wants to turn off everything to avoid battery drain.

This is what I'm doing right now:
1. Brake is pressed and I press P (Park).
2. I take my foot off the brake.
3. I then press the Engine start/stop button (and infotainment screen remains turned on).
4. Infotainment screen turns off only when I open the driver side door.

Thanks!
Don't pay attention to the power on/off symbol in the infotainment button (useless knob), for some unknown reason to all of us Acura moved the action from that knob to the drivers door, to turn off the radio just open and close the drivers door and enjoy the silence of the radio being off... that's only if you don't hear the AC Expansion valve whistling after a few seconds...
Old 08-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts
Turn the radio off with the button before shutting the engine off if the next time you start the car up you don't want the radio to come on automatically. I woke up a child unneccesarily after putting him in his car seat for the trip home after a long day by not doing that. I have just gotten in the habit of always turning the radio off with the steering wheel button before turning the car off.
Old 08-18-2024, 02:42 AM
3rd Gear

Posting here for the next guy who doesn’t want to open their door to turn off the infotainment. Just found this out today, if you hit the lock button when the car is “OFF”, then the screen shuts down and audio stops. I couldn’t find this info anywhere and it was driving me nuts so hope it helps.

I tried it a second time to verify I wasn’t crazy but when the doors were already locked and I tried hitting lock, it didn’t work. I unlocked and re-locked the doors and it worked again. Admittedly I hit it pretty quickly after switching to off so could have been a timing issue or could’ve been because they were already locked. Either way, worst case is an unlock and relock.
Old 08-19-2024, 12:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Info system replacements

My info system had to be replaced in 20 or 21. Just had issues again (flashing off every 30 seconds for a full days drive). Acura is replacing under warranty and told me that Acura is using an updated info system component to make replacements now (different than my original replacement ). Luckily mine was a certified so my warranty lasts through this month. Why Acura isnt replacing under a recall is another issue. Unacceptable issue on a lemon year based on consumer reports, etc. Apple play continues to constantly not connect and I have to re-boot to connect. So frustrating.
Old 08-19-2024, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts
I sometimes wonder if the concern about battery drain is justified. When I was shopping for my 2022 RDX and the sales person was showing me features he insisted on starting the car and allowing the engine to idle, citing concerns about battery drain. When I returned with my wife, he again basically said the same thing. The demo was about 10 to 15 minutes long.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:06 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by John from PA
I sometimes wonder if the concern about battery drain is justified. When I was shopping for my 2022 RDX and the sales person was showing me features he insisted on starting the car and allowing the engine to idle, citing concerns about battery drain. When I returned with my wife, he again basically said the same thing. The demo was about 10 to 15 minutes long.
I wouldn’t be concerned with the car not starting after a few minutes of use, unless those few minutes turn into more than an hour or two with music playing. The car has auto stop/start and relies on the battery constantly with it draining and charging all on its own. If the battery was on such a low charge then the stop/start would disable itself.

The more realistic concern is putting more cycles on the battery. The more you use it, the shorter its life, just like a phone. Even then, unless you’re regularly sitting in the car, it shouldn’t drastically change the life.

For me, it just gives me an uneasy feeling in the back of my mind, worrying if today is the day my battery decides to bite the bullet when I say sitting a little too long. It’s not a simple 90s car with a radio. This thing is booting up a computer and powering a large, bright screen, then just sitting there for no reason. It’s also annoying that it hisses (not sure if it’s a small fan for the head unit or the speakers are receiving power and don’t have the best noise floor) audibly when sitting there quietly.

Last of all, if I’m going to nap in my car, my car should be allowed to nap as well. For a “premium” car, it just doesn’t feel very premium when you can’t control what it does, or need to open and close the door like a crazy person 🤣

I’ll restate the solution since it’s buried now. Just hit the door lock button on the driver’s door to turn off the infotainment unit.
Old 08-21-2024, 08:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnzilla
I wouldn’t be concerned with the car not starting after a few minutes of use, unless those few minutes turn into more than an hour or two with music playing. The car has auto stop/start and relies on the battery constantly with it draining and charging all on its own. If the battery was on such a low charge then the stop/start would disable itself.

The more realistic concern is putting more cycles on the battery. The more you use it, the shorter its life, just like a phone. Even then, unless you’re regularly sitting in the car, it shouldn’t drastically change the life.

For me, it just gives me an uneasy feeling in the back of my mind, worrying if today is the day my battery decides to bite the bullet when I say sitting a little too long. It’s not a simple 90s car with a radio. This thing is booting up a computer and powering a large, bright screen, then just sitting there for no reason. It’s also annoying that it hisses (not sure if it’s a small fan for the head unit or the speakers are receiving power and don’t have the best noise floor) audibly when sitting there quietly.

Last of all, if I’m going to nap in my car, my car should be allowed to nap as well. For a “premium” car, it just doesn’t feel very premium when you can’t control what it does, or need to open and close the door like a crazy person 🤣

I’ll restate the solution since it’s buried now. Just hit the door lock button on the driver’s door to turn off the infotainment unit.
Your points about the power needs of the vehicle and battery drain are well taken but one also has to consider that these vehicles with their auto idle start/stop have a larger than normal battery that should be able to handle 30 minutes of drain from various devices. Having said that there are many factors that could affect that statement. For instance someone that does a significant amount of stop and go driving may rarely reach a “full” state of charge in their battery.

By the way, hitting the lock button on my 2022 RDX doesn’t seem to do anything. If the doors are already locked, not so much as a click.
Old 08-21-2024, 01:14 PM
3rd Gear

Your points about the power needs of the vehicle and battery drain are well taken but one also has to consider that these vehicles with their auto idle start/stop have a larger than normal battery that should be able to handle 30 minutes of drain from various devices. Having said that there are many factors that could affect that statement. For instance someone that does a significant amount of stop and go driving may rarely reach a “full” state of charge in their battery.

By the way, hitting the lock button on my 2022 RDX doesn’t seem to do anything. If the doors are already locked, not so much as a click.
This is after the engine was running then turned off? Did you try unlocking and then locking?
Old 08-21-2024, 05:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by johnzilla
This is after the engine was running then turned off? Did you try unlocking and then locking?
Yes, engine was off but I only hit the lock function, not unlock and then relock. I'll test that tomorrow.
Old 08-24-2024, 07:20 PM
Racer

Yes, engine was off but I only hit the lock function, not unlock and then relock. I'll test that tomorrow.
OK, after shutting off the engine, then hitting the door unlock followed by lock the screen shut off. But to be truthful, I seldom need this result, so not worth the bother. I generally prefer to shut the. Engine off and then listen to some form of audio.