2019 Acura RDX will be the first Acura to have a full REDESIGN!!! Proto pics page 12

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 03:47 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
She did say it was about two months away from being officially launched. Take that for what it's worth.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
So I stuck my hand in the window and touched it.

told her I had to do it. She didn't care, but was just doing her job. Chatted a bit, and off I went
BoJack is doing the lord's work here, folks.
Old 04-22-2018, 03:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 147 Likes on 112 Posts
Talking

Saw the 2019 RDX at the local auto show... it was fenced off, and you weren't allowed to sit in it, the same as all other shows... but.. the drivers side window was half down... I looked at the dash, specifically above the gauge cluster and surrounding it, and thought "oh fuck, that looks like super cheap, hard, shitty plastic".

So I stuck my hand in the window and touched it.

And it was soft. And nice. And completely opposite of what I thought it was. I actually liked it after touching it.

I then was yelled at by the chick standing next to the RDX, saying I'm not allowed to do that fuck you! Kick me out of your shitty $15 auto show

told her I had to do it. She didn't care, but was just doing her job. Chatted a bit, and off I went
Did you just admit to molesting a RDX in public showroom?!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:35 PM
Team Owner

Looking at that dyno curve, there seems to be something seriously restricted (on purpose) with the turbo setup, once it hits 4500 rpm. That's too soon in the power band for torque to start dipping- especially that drastically. Horsepower tapers at exactly 4500 rpm also. Acura likely did this on purpose to limit the amount of power the RDX puts down. I'm sure hondata will find a way around it in no time, if it's ECU/tune related. Hopefully there's no mechanical component related to the restriction.

Last edited by TacoBello; 04-22-2018 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:46 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,201 Posts
The 1st Gen RDX did the same by reducing the PSI around the same time the i-Vtec kicked in. Hondata increased PSI lower, longer, and at a higher rpm compared to the OEM mapping. Because of Hondata+ETS intercooler, I really didn't have a need to go much past 4500-5000 rpms in normal driving because of so much tq down low with my 08 RDX.
Old 04-30-2018, 02:31 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking at that dyno curve, there seems to be something seriously restricted (on purpose) with the turbo setup, once it hits 4500 rpm. That's too soon in the power band for torque to start dipping- especially that drastically. Horsepower tapers at exactly 4500 rpm also. Acura likely did this on purpose to limit the amount of power the RDX puts down. I'm sure hondata will find a way around it in no time, if it's ECU/tune related. Hopefully there's no mechanical component related to the restriction.
Looks like a de-tuned Civic Type R.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:44 PM
Hello World

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm wondering what happens at 4500 RPM...

It's normal that HP tapers at the same time because HP = Torque x RPM / Some number.
If Torque was be perfectly constant HP would increase linearly with RPM. That's the case between 1500 and 4500 RPM.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:07 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ultramart

It's normal that HP tapers at the same time because HP = Torque x RPM / Some number.
If Torque was be perfectly constant HP would increase linearly with RPM. That's the case between 1500 and 4500 RPM.
I'm no expert on it, but this link explains it pretty well. Basically, torque can be controlled by limiting the turbo boost (in a turbo obviously) and mapping the ECU.

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/...f=66&t=1690000
Old 05-01-2018, 03:26 PM
Team Owner

You are correct about the horsepower calculation, however, HP generally continues to climb because the torque value doesn't drop as fast as the RPM climb. Speaking of Honda/Acura engines only, that's why we have VTEC. This allows HP to climb almost to redline, even though torque starts to drop at around 5250rpm.

Torque always starts to taper off after 5250rpm. As for HP, not so much. Especially since the 2.0T still relies on VTEC. There's something else happening with that engine, though I suspect it is simply tune related, unless the engine has some kind of mechanical component that kicks in at 4500rpm and limits the amount of air being drawn into the engine (mechanical flap, or something rather). Seeing as how much power can be pulled from the Accord 2.0T with just a tune, I suspect the RDX is much the same. Just ECU limited. Otherwise that RDX would be making 300hp/ftlbs, out performing the bigger MDX and RLX- not something car companies generally allow (where a base smaller vehicle outperforms a base larger vehicle).
Old 05-01-2018, 03:36 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

You are correct about the horsepower calculation, however, HP generally continues to climb because the torque value doesn't drop as fast as the RPM climb. Speaking of Honda/Acura engines only, that's why we have VTEC. This allows HP to climb almost to redline, even though torque starts to drop at around 5250rpm.

Torque always starts to taper off after 5250rpm. As for HP, not so much. Especially since the 2.0T still relies on VTEC. There's something else happening with that engine, though I suspect it is simply tune related, unless the engine has some kind of mechanical component that kicks in at 4500rpm and limits the amount of air being drawn into the engine (mechanical flap, or something rather). Seeing as how much power can be pulled from the Accord 2.0T with just a tune, I suspect the RDX is much the same. Just ECU limited. Otherwise that RDX would be making 300hp/ftlbs, out performing the bigger MDX and RLX- not something car companies generally allow (where a base smaller vehicle outperforms a base larger vehicle).
For us laymen, are you saying that you think the 2019 RDX turbo engine can be tuned/modded to produce more HP and Torque? Or did I completely put words in your mouth? LOL
Old 05-01-2018, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

As far as I can tell, you can squeeze a ton of power out of any turbo/supercharged vehicle.

The easiest and cheapest method is for a company like Hondata to make a chip for the car. It won't take into account any power modifications you make (such as adding an exhaust or intake), but, for a completely stock car, you can open up a good amount of power by just chipping the ecu.

I can only suspect the RDX for now, but, assume it will be much like the Accord 2.0T. I believe Hondata has a stage 1 and stage 2 tune for that engine. And it makes crazy gains for minimal dollar investment, compared to a non-turbo application.

Car makers purposely limit turbo engine output. Companies like Hondata, remove the limits.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Interesting...thanks for the explanation. I assume doing something like that might however, void warranty?
Old 05-01-2018, 04:09 PM
Team Owner

Yes. For sure it will. If Honda/Acura can detect it, or cares to detect it. For example, as I've heard (not sure if true)- if you take a VW turbo product in, as soon as the mechanic connects to the ecu, an indication of some kind comes up letting the mechanic know the ecu is tampered with and apparently links back to VW/Audi HQ, and you're screwed from getting warranty. From what I understand, in a Honda, the mechanic has to check if this is the case, manually. Most don't bother. Again... From what I've heard.

Here's the thing though- the warranty you lose is only related to what was changed. This means if you put a tune on your car, your brake and suspension warranty won't be void. Only your engine warranty is.

You can simply wait until your warranty expires and then tune your ecu, or you can run the risk of losing your engine warranty... Honestly... Once that engine is in the market for 2 years and we don't see major issues with them, I personally would go for the tune. These 2.0Ts will become readily available, meaning you can get a lightly used engine from an auto wrecker for fairly cheap. Swap it. It's one for one meaning you take one bolt out, you replace that same bolt on the replacement engine. You undo one harness, you connect the same one again. Plug and play. Fix it. Keep on motoring.

Oh, and I believe Hondata claims that one of their tunes (likely stage 1) is safer for the engine than Honda's own conservative tune. Interesting.

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-01-2018 at 04:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SK1124 (05-01-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 04:26 PM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by SK1124
Interesting...thanks for the explanation. I assume doing something like that might however, void warranty?
A lot of 1st Gen 2.3L turbo folks did all types of engine mods to push the power +300 hp/tq range for both. I just did Hondata reflash+ETS intercooler+heatshield gasket for about 120,000 miles with zero issues with the mods and the rest of the powertrain (+150,000 miles now). Acura will only void your warranty if they can prove the aftermarket part directly caused the mechanical issue. Any mods that helps the 2.0T to spool faster and more mid-range punch is the way to go. Extra hp/tq above 5000 rpms is nice; but, the instant tq in lower rpm band is where I have the most fun with my turbo RDX.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrgold35
A lot of 1st Gen 2.3L turbo folks did all types of engine mods to push the power +300 hp/tq range for both. I just did Hondata reflash+ETS intercooler+heatshield gasket for about 120,000 miles with zero issues with the mods and the rest of the powertrain (+150,000 miles now). Acura will only void your warranty if they can prove the aftermarket part directly caused the mechanical issue. Any mods that helps the 2.0T to spool faster and more mid-range punch is the way to go. Extra hp/tq above 5000 rpms is nice; but, the instant tq in lower rpm band is where I have the most fun with my turbo RDX.
I agree with everything you said, besides the bolded text. Acura doesn't have to prove an aftermarket tune caused your engine to fail. Acura simply has to prove the tune was changed from factory, to void your engine warranty. You can argue with Acura all you want with regards to whether a tune was at fault or not- by the end of the day, you likely won't win and even so, their decision is final, not yours.

This goes for any mod- all they have to see is something was changed from oem parts/specifications. They notice different (lowering) springs on your car? Consider your suspension warranty void. It's that simple. They don't want to be caught in scenarios where they have to investigate, etc. Something has changed, they can see it changed, they void the warranty on that part.

If anything, I'd say the scenario is opposite. You'd have to prove your part didn't cause the failure of something. And that can be incredibly difficult.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:45 PM
Hello World

Torque always starts to taper off after 5250rpm. As for HP, not so much.

Sorry but it's not true. In other words it's false. :-)

Torque can start to decrease at any RPM, can decrease and increase at higher RPM, etc.
HP and Torque curves always cross at 5252 RPM. This may give the impression that torque drops at this RPM.

At 5252 RPM, Torque is always equal to HP, because HP = Torque x RPM / 5252.

When RPM = 5252, HP = Torque x 5252 / 5252 = Torque x 1

Torque and HP are more closely linked than we might think.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:53 PM
Team Owner

Show me a couple stock engines that show torque climbing past 5252rpm. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Also:
Power continues to increase even though Torque decreases because the RATE of increase in RPM is GREATER than the RATE of decrease of Torque. And it starts decreasing after a certain point because the air flow cannot overcome the restriction of the valves, stem, etc. before it enters the combustion chamber.
Also:
Torque and HP are closely related because HP is a calculation based on Torque. You can't measure horsepower. You can calculate it, though. Torque is a force that can be measured, however.

Last edited by TacoBello; 05-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Drifting

Received 1,026 Likes on 716 Posts
Sorry but it's not true. In other words it's false. :-)

Torque can start to decrease at any RPM, can decrease and increase at higher RPM, etc.
HP and Torque curves always cross at 5252 RPM. This may give the impression that torque drops at this RPM.

At 5252 RPM, Torque is always equal to HP, because HP = Torque x RPM / 5252.

When RPM = 5252, HP = Torque x 5252 / 5252 = Torque x 1

Torque and HP are more closely linked than we might think.
Using the definition of what hosepower is, and using math to explain it, well, that's just not fair.

Why does everyone talk about horsepower anyway? Why not just regular power?

Last edited by Madd Dog; 05-01-2018 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:22 PM
Hello World

Show me a couple stock engines that show torque climbing past 5252rpm. Go ahead. I'll wait.
OMG! Oh you're right! I googled for an hour and ALL engines have their torque starting to drop at 5252 RPM! How is that possible!?! LOL
Old 05-01-2018, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 325 Likes on 203 Posts
Warning: you will likely lose interest about 30 seconds in ...

Last edited by HotRodW; 05-01-2018 at 05:35 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by HotRodW:
Carbon2008RDX (05-02-2018), RDX10 (05-03-2018)
Old 05-01-2018, 06:55 PM
Hello World

You mean like this one?

Or like this one?

Old 05-01-2018, 07:18 PM
mrgold35

I agree with everything you said, besides the bolded text. Acura doesn't have to prove an aftermarket tune caused your engine to fail. Acura simply has to prove the tune was changed from factory, to void your engine warranty. You can argue with Acura all you want with regards to whether a tune was at fault or not- by the end of the day, you likely won't win and even so, their decision is final, not yours.

This goes for any mod- all they have to see is something was changed from oem parts/specifications. They notice different (lowering) springs on your car? Consider your suspension warranty void. It's that simple. They don't want to be caught in scenarios where they have to investigate, etc. Something has changed, they can see it changed, they void the warranty on that part.

If anything, I'd say the scenario is opposite. You'd have to prove your part didn't cause the failure of something. And that can be incredibly difficult.
I don't think Acura would know you have a reflash tune unless you tell them. I did my Hondata reflash at around 35K and had my i-Vtec switchover solenoid fail around 60K. I don't know if the reflash caused the issue or just one of those normal things that happen to break on a 2nd model year Acura. Acura fixed the issue under the powertrain warranty. Of course I didn't say anything about my reflash.

My 08 RDX 5AT seems to have zero issues with my 290-295lbs of reflashed TQ. Doesn't sound like the 19 RDX 10T is rated for TQ above 275lbs if folks do a tune?
Old 05-01-2018, 10:49 PM
Team Owner

When they connect to the OBD port, something gets flagged, somewhere in their system. That's all I know. They can tell.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:29 AM
mrgold35

When they connect to the OBD port, something gets flagged, somewhere in their system. That's all I know. They can tell.
I guess my dealership doesn't care about the reflash. I do all my fluid change services every 5,000 miles and powertrain repair issues at the dealership since 2010 with RDX. I don't know if they connect to the port every single time; but, they always fixed warranty related issues. I have OEM and aftermarket mods on all three vehicles (engine, suspension, brakes, rims, lights, hitch, aero kit). I might just be lucky to have a good dealership in NM.

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-02-2018 at 05:32 AM.
Old 05-02-2018, 08:11 AM
Hello World

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Using the definition of what hosepower is, and using math to explain it, well, that's just not fair.
Just LOL

Originally Posted by Madd Dog
Why does everyone talk about horsepower anyway? Why not just regular power?
Exactly! And to complicate matters, it depends which horse is used in the calculation!!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Also:

Also:
Torque and HP are closely related because HP is a calculation based on Torque. You can't measure horsepower. You can calculate it, though. Torque is a force that can be measured, however.
So why do we talk HP when we are really talking torque and rpm's?
Old 05-02-2018, 05:45 PM
Team Owner

Good question. Really, they are measuring two different characteristics of the engine. If we only looked at torque for example, Honda engines would look anemic and useless- especially the 4 bangers. But... what the torque curve doesn't show is the high horsepower those 4 bangers are able to churn out, but it doesn't come until high in the rpm band. I'm really not sure how to answer your question- I'd say the level of torque tells you how the engine behaves in low rpm scenarios, where the horsepower tells you how it behaves in high rpm scenarios. That's far from being true in all applications, but it's the best I can come up with
Old 05-02-2018, 06:28 PM
Drifting

Because everyday people (think they) understand HP, rather than torque.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Because everyday people (think they) understand HP, rather than torque. HP=Torque*math.

Nobody likes math. Even 90% of the people who can actually do it.
Old 05-02-2018, 06:42 PM
Carbon Bronze Pearl 2008

Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by HotRodW
Warning: you will likely lose interest about 30 seconds in ...

https://youtu.be/lt7iUBE3_AE
Thanks for this informative video. Was a nice refresher. I knew this stuff years ago but had forgotten it.
HotRodW (05-02-2018)
Old 05-02-2018, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carbon2008RDX
Thanks for this informative video. Was a nice refresher. I knew this stuff years ago but had forgotten it.
Very cool video.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:35 AM
Hello World

Originally Posted by 19RDX
So why do we talk HP when we are really talking torque and rpm's?
Good question indeed. All numbers are important, torque, power and RPM. I don't like low torque engines with their power at high revs, like a Civic Sir for example. I don't care if the Sir can output 250 hp at 8000 RPM (random numbers). It's not fun for everyday driving.

Numbers and dyno charts gives a good idea about how the engine will perform but at the end there is nothing like driving it. And not just a few miles with the salesperson.
Old 05-03-2018, 02:55 PM
Advanced

As far as size goes, the RDX is 186.9-inches long, and 65.7-inches high. That makes it 2.5-inches longer than the outgoing model and 0.7-inches taller. Its wheelbase has been extended from 105.7 inches to 108.3 inches – just enough to improve handling and offer a little more space inside. Width has yet to be announced, but the outgoing model measured 73.7 inches so it wouldn’t be out of the question for the 2019 RDX to sit at 74.5-inches wide.
Comparing the size of the 2019 RDX and the 2018 MDX:

The MDX is 77.7 inches wide, so 74.5 on the RDX would make it only 3.2 inches narrower.

The height of 65.7 inches is only 1.7 inches lower than the MDX's 67.4.

The biggest difference in size is the length: RDX at 186.9 inches and MDX at 196.2 - a difference of 9.3 inches.

In other words, if you don't need the 3rd row seating there's not much reason IMO to choose a MDX over the RDX.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/acura/...-ar177004.html
Old 05-03-2018, 03:30 PM
Team Owner

For now. The next MDX will likely be larger, also.
19RDX (05-03-2018)
Old 05-03-2018, 03:43 PM
Advanced

For now. The next MDX will likely be larger, also.
True. Is that expected to the 2021 model in two years?
Old 05-04-2018, 01:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 245 Likes on 214 Posts
The 5252 rpm mark is simply a mathematical equation between horsepower and torque. It has nothing to do with how engines are built or tuned. Plenty of engines make peak torque north of 5252 rpm - but it's becoming much less common on today's tiny-turbo economy-driven motors. Take a look back a decade or two and look at the enthusiast engines out of Japan and you'll see plenty of examples.

Honda S2000 2.0 makes peak torque at 7500 rpm
Honda S2000 2.2 makes peak torque at 6800 rpm
Honda Civic Si 2.0 makes peak torque at 6200 rpm
Toyota Celica GTS 1.8 makes peak torque at 6800 rpm

More modern examples include:

Today's Porsche GT3 RS torque peaks at 6000 rpm
Previous generation Audi 4.2l V8 (n/a) makes peak torque at 6000 rpm

Basically, if you have a naturally aspirated engine making 100+ hp/liter, it's probably making peak torque north of 5252 rpm. There are a few exceptions (BMW E92).

Point being, many high-strung n/a engines are tuned to make high RPM power, but at the expense low RPM torque. Fun on a track, boring on a street. Most of today's engines actually resemble the over-sized engines of yore, with huge, immediate torque that quickly vanishes north of 5000 rpm or so. This is mitigated by transmissions with more than twice as many gears as 20 years ago though, so it's not quite as obvious that the engine is running out of steam so quickly. Want the new RDX to make peak torque up high? Simple...swap out cams for a high-rpm profile, slap on a big-ass turbo, and make huge power at 8000 or so rpm. But...it'll be gutless until 4-5k.
Old 05-05-2018, 07:01 PM
Advanced

Here's the Chinese-only 2016 CDX, which Acura said they had no plans at the time to release in the U.S.

https://www.carscoops.com/2016/04/ac...rent-plans-to/
Old 05-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
When I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago picking up my 2018 Acura RDX - Technology the salesman was telling me that the 2019 RDX - Technology, like the 2016 - 2018 base (Premium) model, will have vinyl seating surfaces. To get leather seating surfaces you will have to purchase the Advanced (American) / Elite (Canadian) model. My guess is that Acura is doing this in its attempt to keep the 2019 model within the pricing range of the 2018 models. This is pretty much in line with similar models of Mercedes Benz and BMW.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:58 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 444 Likes on 303 Posts
Smile U.S. Tech Model...leather...YES!

Originally Posted by FreddyBeach
When I was at the dealership a couple of weeks ago picking up my 2018 Acura RDX - Technology the salesman was telling me that the 2019 RDX - Technology, like the 2016 - 2018 base (Premium) model, will have vinyl seating surfaces. To get leather seating surfaces you will have to purchase the Advanced (American) / Elite (Canadian) model. My guess is that Acura is doing this in its attempt to keep the 2019 model within the pricing range of the 2018 models. This is pretty much in line with similar models of Mercedes Benz and BMW.
If you are talking in Canada....don't know. BUT, the U.S. Tech Model will have real leather. This is quoted directly from a just received internal Acura document that I was given access to.
The ELS sound system will NOT be the 3 D system. But, will have 12 speakers and still and ELS system. The 3 D 16 speaker system will only be on the A-Spec and Advance.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just did a quick search and found this Acura training site. 2019 RDX ? Acura Launch Training
Seems like the dealerships will have training courses to see how it stands up to the competition.