2019 -> 2023 Tech -- what has changed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 07:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 419 Likes on 317 Posts
2019 -> 2023 Tech -- what has changed?

I'm considering updating to the new RDX because I don't like owning cars out of warranty. Even with an extended warranty I think many of the electronics are not covered. I looked at many other cars and the closest I came to liking something else was the ID.4 and the NX hybrid but they both have enough flaws that I think unless gas prices rise out of control, I may be better off with an RDX. It also looks like the dealer is finally willing to sell without mark up.

From what I can tell, a few improvements may be expected --
- Slightly quieter drive
- A washer for the rear camera (current car rear camera is unusable in rain)
- Added safety features (pedestrian detection, slow traffic assist)

Is there anything else that I'm missing from this list? If you made the change from a 2019 to a 2022 or 2023 Tech, can you share your experience? Is there anything that you like less about the new car as compared to the old one? I haven't noticed any red flags from the loaners I've been getting.

Just because of familiarity, I think I want to go with it.
Old 03-14-2023, 11:05 PM
Pro

Received 238 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by anoop
I'm considering updating to the new RDX because I don't like owning cars out of warranty. Even with an extended warranty I think many of the electronics are not covered. I looked at many other cars and the closest I came to liking something else was the ID.4 and the NX hybrid but they both have enough flaws that I think unless gas prices rise out of control, I may be better off with an RDX. It also looks like the dealer is finally willing to sell without mark up.

From what I can tell, a few improvements may be expected --
- Slightly quieter drive
- A washer for the rear camera (current car rear camera is unusable in rain)
- Added safety features (pedestrian detection, slow traffic assist)

Is there anything else that I'm missing from this list? If you made the change from a 2019 to a 2022 or 2023 Tech, can you share your experience? Is there anything that you like less about the new car as compared to the old one? I haven't noticed any red flags from the loaners I've been getting.

Just because of familiarity, I think I want to go with it.
I believe the drive modes were tweaked. There is also a digital speedometer added to the center screen. Wireless CarPlay/AA.
The following users liked this post:
anoop (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ross7777
I believe the drive modes were tweaked. There is also a digital speedometer added to the center screen. Wireless CarPlay/AA.
There’s also the charger but hard to reach and didn’t work for me in the loaner. But they are also not that important for me.
Old 03-15-2023, 04:40 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
I won both a 2020 RDX Tech and Lexus NX350h… While I like the RDX, the software and interface sucks compared to the NX. Not sure what NX flaws you are referring to. This is my last Acura and I’ve had 5.
Choose what you like, drive what you like…
The following 2 users liked this post by motif88:
anoop (03-15-2023), ESHBG (03-21-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 04:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by motif88
I won both a 2020 RDX Tech and Lexus NX350h… While I like the RDX, the software and interface sucks compared to the NX. Not sure what NX flaws you are referring to. This is my last Acura and I’ve had 5.
Choose what you like, drive what you like…
Run flat with no spare (20” on luxury so bad for mpg and comfort) — this is really a big negative for me and they didn’t put these on the RX.

Don’t like the lack of physical buttons, everything through the big screen (I’m a bit of a technophobe). Also felt instrument cluster is busy.

Had only a short drive in one but one reviewer on YouTube complained of unsettled suspension when comparing to the RAV4.

I didn’t like the smell in the Lexus cars. I don’t know if this is because of the treatment that the dealer applies but they said they do it to all cars.

The electronic door openers feel a bit gimmicky.

I didn’t like the plastic interior of lower trims and luxury trim is pricey and comes with a lot of things I don’t care for (e.g. heads up display).

Overall this car would be close to $60k out the door. Dealer actually was asking $5k markup but after I said not interested he said he would work with me.

By comparison, shopping for the RDX is simple and it feels familiar.

I was willing to forego a lot but the smell was just too bad for me and the dealer said that Is just how they come. (He has told me a lot of incorrect things but the only way would be to go see another dealer and I’m just exhausted with the wait).

Last edited by anoop; 03-15-2023 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-15-2023, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

@motif88 BTW I do appreciate your input since you own both.

With the NX I also didn’t like the way the trunk cover is done and also the plastic black wheel arches (not an issue if you go F-sport, but I wanted Luxury).

What I really liked about the NX was the seat comfort (again needed to get Luxury to get leather and 4-way lumbar) and the mpg.

Last edited by anoop; 03-15-2023 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-16-2023, 07:38 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
Lot's of good choices out there. We have started looking, and drove the '23 RX, overall I just didn't really like it all that much. It seemed louder inside than I expected and there was really nothing that grabbed me. The Jeep GC was a surprise (hybrid). In the end Jeeps reliability reputation probably ended that one, but it was nice to drive. The GV70 was nice and is about an inch shorter than the RDX, as was the Telluride/Palisade....but that is getting on the big side of course, so you have that to consider. I would really like to see the new '23 GLC and Corsair, but neither has been released yet. I hate to say the infotainment touch pad rules RDX out, but after 4 1/2 years I have just never warmed up to it, vs touch screen. But there were a lot of smaller changes on the '23 that I am sure made it an overall better car than the '19. With the '23 RDX being it's 5th year...might a totally new one be right around the corner? Acuras announcement that all electric cars from them will be online ordering only I thought was an interesting decision, however after dealing with salespeople over the last few weeks ....makes me glad they are doing it. The car buying process was never a pleasure, but it seems it has just gotten a lot worse. Maybe it's the big chains that own so many car dealerships now....bait, switch, lie, deceive,
The following 2 users liked this post by EFR:
anoop (03-17-2023), ESHBG (03-21-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 06:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
Lot's of good choices out there. We have started looking, and drove the '23 RX, overall I just didn't really like it all that much. It seemed louder inside than I expected and there was really nothing that grabbed me. The Jeep GC was a surprise (hybrid). In the end Jeeps reliability reputation probably ended that one, but it was nice to drive. The GV70 was nice and is about an inch shorter than the RDX, as was the Telluride/Palisade....but that is getting on the big side of course, so you have that to consider. I would really like to see the new '23 GLC and Corsair, but neither has been released yet. I hate to say the infotainment touch pad rules RDX out, but after 4 1/2 years I have just never warmed up to it, vs touch screen. But there were a lot of smaller changes on the '23 that I am sure made it an overall better car than the '19. With the '23 RDX being it's 5th year...might a totally new one be right around the corner? Acuras announcement that all electric cars from them will be online ordering only I thought was an interesting decision, however after dealing with salespeople over the last few weeks ....makes me glad they are doing it. The car buying process was never a pleasure, but it seems it has just gotten a lot worse. Maybe it's the big chains that own so many car dealerships now....bait, switch, lie, deceive,
Local Acura dealer is pretty low pressure but not very flexible on price.

Was never a fan of the touchpad but at the same time I prefer physical controls for many basic things like HVAC, heated seats, etc. and so not a fan of “one big touchscreen” designs either. I like the refreshed Lexus UX which is a good balance. They should have done that with the NX and RX as well.

So what are you doing now? Waiting for the GLC?
Old 03-17-2023, 06:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

@motif88 Stopped by the Lexus dealer after the Acura test drive and agree the NX feels more solid and luxurious than the RDX. Didn’t test drive one though. Now I keep second guessing myself but the path of least resistance points to the RDX since NX will involve a wait again.
Old 03-17-2023, 07:34 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by anoop
Local Acura dealer is pretty low pressure but not very flexible on price.

Was never a fan of the touchpad but at the same time I prefer physical controls for many basic things like HVAC, heated seats, etc. and so not a fan of “one big touchscreen” designs either. I like the refreshed Lexus UX which is a good balance. They should have done that with the NX and RX as well.

So what are you doing now? Waiting for the GLC?
The question of the day....what are we doing now? We drove a GLC when we bought the RDX in 2019...I liked it but my wife was against it solely because she didn't "want to be one of those people"...'one of those people' being someone who owns a Mercedes. The fact that we had owned 3 BMW's prior was of no matter. But anyway, the new '23 GLC still not being released yet and no info anywhere as to when it might be is hard to understand and even more so is the '23 Corsair which was nothing but a mid-cycle refresh. But I agree with you on the physical controls...it's frequently just much easier, or faster, to have a button handy than trying to go through screens to get the basic things done. It was of the things on the new '23 Corsair that Lincoln changed--- the heater/AC controls were moved from buttons, to the new larger screen controls. That wouldn't make it a 'no', but I wish they had not done that. Of course, when you have not even put the car out yet...as we soon move in to April, I guess it really doesn't matter. Even just today, after trying to work through the Costco auto buying thing on the Genesis GV70, and there is only one Genesis dealer in the Las Vegas area (or all of Nevada for that matter) we tried to get an 'out-the-door price' and received just a bizarre email full of bullshit that didn't remotely resemble the phone conversation I had with the appointed salesperson days earlier....and no, wouldn't give a total price. So...."not flexible on price" would be a welcome change vs dealers that advertise but won't divulge the load of crap they have added, what it includes, what the price of those add ons even is, and so on. When we bought the RDX (and we lived in Reno) I reached out to 3 dealers or so, got a price (they were all full MSRP) in writing, including tax and the made-up dealer prep. A Vegas dealer had what we wanted - white A-Spec/black interior, we put 5K on deposit via credit card, drove down and picked it up days later giving them a check for the balance. Now---it's just a head spinner the games that these people are trying to put you through. Essentially I think they just want to get you in that cubicle and feel they will magically have all the control on the sale/the price/the terms---and you will be too stupid to resist. God I miss the old days! None of this would be that important, and sorry for going on and on...but with our daughter half-way to delivering her first baby, I just want her to have a dependable, safe car, thus the RDX. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.....
ESHBG (03-21-2023)
Old 03-17-2023, 08:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by EFR
The question of the day....what are we doing now? We drove a GLC when we bought the RDX in 2019...I liked it but my wife was against it solely because she didn't "want to be one of those people"...'one of those people' being someone who owns a Mercedes. The fact that we had owned 3 BMW's prior was of no matter. But anyway, the new '23 GLC still not being released yet and no info anywhere as to when it might be is hard to understand and even more so is the '23 Corsair which was nothing but a mid-cycle refresh. But I agree with you on the physical controls...it's frequently just much easier, or faster, to have a button handy than trying to go through screens to get the basic things done. It was of the things on the new '23 Corsair that Lincoln changed--- the heater/AC controls were moved from buttons, to the new larger screen controls. That wouldn't make it a 'no', but I wish they had not done that. Of course, when you have not even put the car out yet...as we soon move in to April, I guess it really doesn't matter. Even just today, after trying to work through the Costco auto buying thing on the Genesis GV70, and there is only one Genesis dealer in the Las Vegas area (or all of Nevada for that matter) we tried to get an 'out-the-door price' and received just a bizarre email full of bullshit that didn't remotely resemble the phone conversation I had with the appointed salesperson days earlier....and no, wouldn't give a total price. So...."not flexible on price" would be a welcome change vs dealers that advertise but won't divulge the load of crap they have added, what it includes, what the price of those add ons even is, and so on. When we bought the RDX (and we lived in Reno) I reached out to 3 dealers or so, got a price (they were all full MSRP) in writing, including tax and the made-up dealer prep. A Vegas dealer had what we wanted - white A-Spec/black interior, we put 5K on deposit via credit card, drove down and picked it up days later giving them a check for the balance. Now---it's just a head spinner the games that these people are trying to put you through. Essentially I think they just want to get you in that cubicle and feel they will magically have all the control on the sale/the price/the terms---and you will be too stupid to resist. God I miss the old days! None of this would be that important, and sorry for going on and on...but with our daughter half-way to delivering her first baby, I just want her to have a dependable, safe car, thus the RDX. Maybe I'm just getting old and cranky.....
GLC is one of those that has gone full touch screen I think.

It’s almost like you have to live with some flaws (expensive, reliability, maintenance, ride comfort, run flat tires, features, etc.). If you can live with the RDX’s, it is the value leader (both price and maintenance) and a simple shopping experience (no need to hunt for a car with specific options, just pick your color and trim level).

Last edited by anoop; 03-17-2023 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-17-2023, 08:49 PM
Jmar

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I also cross shopped the Lexus NX. The lack of a spare tire, even as a purchased add-on, was the deal breaker for me.
anoop (03-18-2023)
Old 03-18-2023, 12:33 AM
Three Wheelin'

@EFR Acura seems to be on 6 year cycles most of the models so 3rd gen would probably remain for MY2024.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:09 PM
Advanced

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Well, that's your call. I love my NX 350h Luxury vs my RDX AWD Tech. I'm not a technophobe and love the large screen versus the half assed 2/3rd'd screen Acura interface. Smell...are u kidding me?
Electronic doors are a safety feature, the cams and radar prevent the doors from opening if there is an obstacle.
I'm happy every time I get in to my NX while the RDX is just OK.
Back to my original statement...drive what you like.

Old 03-20-2023, 11:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

The damage is done.

I bought the RDX on Saturday. Had a ton of buyers remorse Sunday because it felt a bit unsettled in the ride. Feeling better about it today as I took it in and had them look at the balancing and 3 of the tires were off.

Will wait a year or so and reevaluate. NX is at MY2024 and they have already made subtle changes. Hopefully in the redesign they get rid of run flats and offer a spare.

Last edited by anoop; 03-20-2023 at 11:28 PM.
ESHBG (03-21-2023)
Old 03-20-2023, 11:59 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 75 Posts
Congrats on your new car.👍
I'm glad your dealer was able to identify and correct the problem you were feeling. There is nothing worse than buyers remorse with a brand new car.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:53 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Well congrats. I'm envious of how quick that went. Me, on the other hand....the '23 is everything I wish the '19 was, with all the changes they made last year.