1.5 year, 15K mile, review of my 2019 RDX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 10:59 AM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 1.5 year, 15K mile, review of my 2019 RDX

I own a 2019 Acura RDX Gunmetal Metallic, that is fully loaded. AWD, Advance + tech packages.

I will start out by saying that I like the car a lot- it is one of the better ones I have driven to date. If I had to purchase again, I would likely choose this car.

The only serious cons:

1. the gas tank is too small. I work 4 days per week, commute half hour each way. so essentially 4-4.5 hours of driving per week. This takes gas tank from full to almost entirely empty and requires refill. Have like 5 miles range left at the end of the week. The range for this car is just too small. I went on a 1000 mile road trip and lost count of how many times I had to refill (drove non-stop until destination). I drive until it says 0 range left usually. I use 91 grade fuel.
2. Windshield cracked several thousand miles ago. Too thin and prone to failure. I saw many others reported the same.

The pros:

-This car has great acceleration and handling. At time of purchase better than Audi and Benz. I enjoy this every time I drive this car.
-State of the art AWD system. I believe this might be the most sophisticated AWD on the market. I am not aware of any system that is better than the SH-AWD.
-Sound system is phenomenal
-Physical buttons for critical infotainment functions
-Honda reliability
-Leather and wood trim feels good
-Very comfortable seats, with plenty of adjustment options
-Plenty of space, including great trunk with extra storage under the carpet.
-hump on floor near back seats is small and barely noticeable.
-traditional automatic so no worry about CVT failure and $7.5k replacement down the line. Also one of the smoothest automatics I have ever driven. This is why I did not buy a Subaru.
-Heads up display is probably one of the best safety features I have seen to date. Eyes never off the road.
-Good quality high beams, and headlights in general.
-panoramic moonroof.
-heated steering wheel
-heated/cooled seats.

Wish list for next iteration:

-There should be a setting to remember driver controls depending on the key fob used (Driver 1 or 2). What I mean is: auto engine on/off feature -off, Hold break on stop- ON, etc). Would be nice not to have to switch these every time I sit in the vehicle.
-visibility from inside the car is good, but I think Subaru for me is gold standard in this regard. Could definitely improve visibility all around the car, including rear window. Aesthetics be damned.
-The interior is too cluttered and complicated. I wish they made it simple and minimalist (to a degree). I like subaru's interior layouts - just the practical stuff, no fuss. I wish there was a luxury brand of Subaru.
-Rear-view camera could be higher quality.
-wish that entire infotainment screen could mirror google maps rather than just left side.
-Piano black or any other material that is a dust or fingerprint magnet, does not belong in the interior of any car, from any manufacturer, from now until the end of time.
-Bring back sofa type seat to the front row? One can dream.

I dont understand the infotainment criticisms. Guess it had glitches initially? Seems like a non-issue, and I have never had any problems with it.

Just thought Id give an opinion as long term reviews are more difficult to come by, in case someone is sitting on the fence.

The following users liked this post:
amcobra (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 12:22 PM
Advanced

Received 64 Likes on 33 Posts
I would add a couple of items to the wish list:
  • More voice commands.
    Currently, if I want to zoom in or out on the Navigation screen, I have to place my finger on the touchpad, take my eyes off the road so I can see if I have managed to place my finger in the correct position to highlight the + or - buttons on the screen and click the button, hoping my finger didn't shift a bit off the button. My previous car was a 2011 Accord Coupe EX-L with Navigation and I would simply hit the voice command button and say, "Zoom in", "Zoom out" or "Display 1/2 mile".
    Other voice commands that would be useful (and were on my 2011): "Rear defrost on", "Temperature 72", "Climate control automatic", "Climate control recirculate", "Temperature sync on".
    All of these allow me to keep my eyes on the road, click the voice command button and speak the command I need. Much safer.
  • Make Remote Start on the key fob standard on the Advance model at the least, if not all the models. Our 2018 Accord Touring 2.0 has it. Why wouldn't the Acura models include it? Yes, I know I can sign up for the appropriate option with Acura Link, but why should I have to pay for that feature? The other option is to spend a significant sum to have the dealer install the remote start "accessory". Again, why?
Totally agree on the fuel tank size and the rear camera. Like you, I would also like to see a preference for setting the Auto Idle Stop.

Other than those things, absolutely love the car.

Ron
Old 04-23-2021, 01:40 PM
EFR
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts
LightRider...agree completely on the gas tank size. It's not something I would even think about when buying a car, but was surprised how few gallons (comparatively) went in the first time I filled up. It either needs better MPG or a bigger tank---range is a little disappointing. And visibility. I suppose most smaller SUV's like this have that same kind of little window on the back sides. My wife depends totally on mirrors when changing lanes, but I'm a head-turner by habit, and when I turn to look out the passenger back side...there is pretty much nothing as it is such a tine window....for the sake of 'style' I suppose. And agree about the piano black...it's a dust magnet.
I have never gotten fully used to the touchpad...but if there was a choice, I would prefer a touch screen. Overall enjoy the car, but my biggest beef would be how poorly Acura seems to have handled the infotainment issues. I was really interested in the new TLX, but with Acuras handling of the infotainment system, that is off my list. I just saw an add for the new TLX where Acura is offering something like a 60 month 0% interest deal. Of course 'cars' have fallen out of favor with most buyers these days, but for a car model that is this new, that surprised me. I assume that may mean sales have been kind of poor. I know I have not seen one on the road yet.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I was happy to see the fuel tank increased by a gallon over my 2018. Extra 20 or so miles will help. Not perfect, but its a start. I tend to drive about the same as you LightRider except it is 5 days per day. So yeah, I feel like I am always filling up my RDX but I kind of expect that with an SUV.