Yakima Skybox 21 on an 2019 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 10:12 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yakima Skybox 21 on an 2019 MDX

Hello everyone,

I currently have a 2010 MDX Tech and a Yakima system that grips on the factory rails. I attached a few pictures of my current setup to show you where the crossbars are attached to the rail. For me it was the perfect setup because I only use the box once or twice a y
ear and remove the crossbars when I don't need them.

I'm about to buy a 2019 MDX, but I read in a lot of threads that the "new" flush rails are problematic for many. I know now that my gripping mount is not going to work with the flush factory rails :frown2:. If the factory rails are to be used, then I see that the Yakima (PAD 19) or Thule (KIT3132) systems have to be bolted on the side of the rails. It's not possible to adjust the position of the crossbars along the rails.

Has anyone successfully installed a Yakima Skybox 21 on an MDX 2014+?

Here is a PDF from Yakima:
"Cargo Box Fit Information"
http://yakweb-assets.s3.amazonaws.co...hClearance.pdf

The minimum clearance is 57", which is exactly what I measured on my 2010 MDX with the crossbars installed as shown in the pictures. Does anybody know what the clearance is with the factory crossbars on 2019 MDX?

The Yakima site isn't really helping. When I say that I have factory crossbars, it says that the "SkyBox 21 doesn't fit the vehicule" . But when I select their StreamLine Sytem, it says " Fits your 2019 Acura MDX 5dr safely, but be sure to confirm hatch clearance.". How can it fit "more" when the crossbars are bolted on the same location as the factory ones?

I think that, whether I was going for the factory crossbars or the Yakima PAD 19 route, I'd like to remove them when not in use. Is it a simple job of removing a few screws and putting back plastic covers?

The other option would be to have different rails, but I don't see any option on the net. I saw a few posts with awesome custom rail systems, but I won't go that route of DIY. Are there aftermarket rails that I could install to reuse my Yakima clamping system, or at
least be able adjust the crossbars position along the rails?

Carl
Old 05-16-2019, 11:51 AM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I still have my 11 MDX with factory roof rails+OEM crossbars for my Yakima Rocket 14 cargo box (about a 1 1/2 feet shorter than the SkyBox 21). It was so easy to adjust the crossbar and the Yakima skids under the box to fit my 11 MDX perfectly with the rear hatch fully open. I just purchased an 19 MDX with factory roof rails and fixed crossbars. I haven't tried placing and adjusting my Yakima box on my 19 MDX yet; but, it said it should fit on the website (might be rear hatch clearance issues).

I saw Yakima had the StreamLine System for flush siderails (no space between roof and rails). They had 3 options for aftermarket crossbars (JetStream, CoreBar, & RoundBar) in various lengths of around 50" to 80". I might need to do a test fitting of my Yakima box before I need it next month. Might have to upgrade to the Yakima SteamLine System if the factory crossbars don't work.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by mrgold35
I still have my 11 MDX with factory roof rails+OEM crossbars for my Yakima Rocket 14 cargo box (about a 1 1/2 feet shorter than the SkyBox 21). It was so easy to adjust the crossbar and the Yakima skids under the box to fit my 11 MDX perfectly with the rear hatch fully open. I just purchased an 19 MDX with factory roof rails and fixed crossbars. I haven't tried placing and adjusting my Yakima box on my 19 MDX yet; but, it said it should fit on the website (might be rear hatch clearance issues).

I saw Yakima had the StreamLine System for flush siderails (no space between roof and rails). They had 3 options for aftermarket crossbars (JetStream, CoreBar, & RoundBar) in various lengths of around 50" to 80". I might need to do a test fitting of my Yakima box before I need it next month. Might have to upgrade to the Yakima SteamLine System if the factory crossbars don't work.
If Yakima says it will fit and you have 1 1/2 feet to spare compared to my SkyBox 21, I'm pretty sure your Rocket 14 will fit fine. Thanks for the info and if you try your box or measure the clearance between the front bar and the opened hatch, please let me know.

Thanks again

Carl
Old 05-17-2019, 10:09 AM
mrgold35

Originally Posted by La_Maudite
If Yakima says it will fit and you have 1 1/2 feet to spare compared to my SkyBox 21, I'm pretty sure your Rocket 14 will fit fine. Thanks for the info and if you try your box or measure the clearance between the front bar and the opened hatch, please let me know.

Thanks again

Carl
I will measure when I get home the length in the center of the front crossbar to touching the rear hatch fully open.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:33 PM
mrgold35

It is 45.5 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 1st crossbar.

It is 17.5 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 2nd row crossbar.

It is 28.5 inches between the center between each crossbars.

I need to measure those points against my 11 MDX when the wife gets home to see if I need to adjust my RocketBox to fit.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:36 AM
mrgold35

It is 45.5 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 1st crossbar.

It is 17.5 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 2nd row crossbar.

It is 28.5 inches between the center between each crossbars.

I need to measure those points against my 11 MDX when the wife gets home to see if I need to adjust my RocketBox to fit.
Measured my 11 MDX with factory rails+crossbars:

It is 55 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 1st crossbar.

It is 25 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 2nd row crossbar.

It is 29.5 inches between the center between each crossbars.

I still have the option to adjust the front crossbar on my 11 MDX around 2 inches forward and 10-11 inches rearward. I'm thinking I will have to adjust the skids under my RocketBox rearward and might have some bounce on the road with box because of having more overhang towards the front.

Not sure why Acura decided to go with fixed crossbars with the 3rd Gen MDX?

Last edited by mrgold35; 05-18-2019 at 07:39 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 AM
3rd Gear

Measured my 11 MDX with factory rails+crossbars:

It is 55 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 1st crossbar.

It is 25 inches from the open rear hatch to the center of 2nd row crossbar.

It is 29.5 inches between the center between each crossbars.

I still have the option to adjust the front crossbar on my 11 MDX around 2 inches forward and 10-11 inches rearward. I'm thinking I will have to adjust the skids under my RocketBox rearward and might have some bounce on the road with box because of having more overhang towards the front.

Not sure why Acura decided to go with fixed crossbars with the 3rd Gen MDX?
Looks like I'll have to buy a new box even if I'm going from a MDX to a MDX.....

Thanks mrgold35 for the measurements! Cheers!