When is 4G MDX coming?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 11:04 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When is 4G MDX coming?

I really like what Acura has done with the RDX 2019, I have seen all the youtube videos and the interior looks so fresh and modern. I am sure MDX will get the same redesign when the 4G is released, is it going to be a 2010 coming out in 2019?
I am not sure if I will get the RDX or the MDX or something else, they are definitely in my list of cars when I am shopping. Those of you that own the MDX, why do you think the SH-AWD is better than what the Germans offer. If the German cars were priced the same would you have still picked the MDX.
Has anyone here gone to back to German cars x5, q7 etc. only to come back to MDX and glad you did, why?

I have not owned an Acura before, but the value they provide always attracts me to the brand. I don't like that some basic safety features are not standard with German cars and with al options fully loaded, an Acura will still be $7-10K cheaper than a similar equipped German car.
I had a 3 series and while it drove great and you could feel connected to the road, I did not find it comfortable for everyday drive, it was fun, but not comfortable and for me the fun wears out after the initial excitement, no to mention how cheap it felt on the inside for the price I paid. I also am a badge snob, but this time around I want to not be swayed by the badge, but by comfort, luxury and features and a little bit of fun if I can get it.

Is the MDX fun to drive at all?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:20 AM
Azine Jabroni

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,386 Posts
2021?
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Received 2,334 Likes on 1,962 Posts
The only thing Acura has going for them RIGHT now is the MDX.

It's a solid SUV. But, I would not consider because A) Too small for my needs. B) Too pricey for my needs.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:52 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
Depends if Acura sticks with the same refresh model years with the 1st Gen (6 model years, early 2000 as 2001 model) or 2nd Gen MDXs (7 model years)? It might be the same 7 model years; but, it could be a 2021 model with an really early intro in the spring/summer of 2020?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
The MDX is selling really well and it’s only been 4.5 years of this generation so far. They have done numerous changes to it each year (more than I have ever seen Acura do with a model). 2015 updated the technology, 2016 added a 9 speed and new AWD system, 2017 new look and tweaked the interior and added a new hybrid model, 2018 they added a new paint color (typical) but also added a whole new infotainment system with a new screen type and also added apple car play and android auto (very atypical). I would not be surprised to see an MDX A-Spec for the 2019 model year either. This indicates that Acura is going to go all the way and wait until 2021 for the full redesign model to come out.

Also for your question on SH-AWD, are you asking if the system is comparable to what you can get on the Germans in terms of quality and performance?
Old 01-29-2018, 01:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
Good luck in finding information. I can't get anyone to give a straight answer, or any answer for that matter, on when the 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid will appear. I was told in August last year it would be winter/late year. Well we are already past late year. Technically we still have several weeks of winter left. Still waiting.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:26 PM
10th Gear

I was also talking about the SH-AWD, if it is comparable or better than the Germans.
Also, how good is the Acura watch plus, I know right now the tesla has the best semi-autonomous system, but is the Acura watch any good, compared to either the tesla or the German competitors.
Old 01-29-2018, 04:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hulk369
I was also talking about the SH-AWD, if it is comparable or better than the Germans.
Also, how good is the Acura watch plus, I know right now the tesla has the best semi-autonomous system, but is the Acura watch any good, compared to either the tesla or the German competitors.
I have a lot of experience with X-drive, quattro, and 4XMotion (quattro with locking diffs and low range). As well I owned 2 vehicles with SH-AWD. From a technical point of view, the German systems tend to be more full time than SH-AWD (i.e 50:50 torque split or 60:40 rear:front) whereas SH-AWD is generally running in 90% front wheel drive and 10% rear wheel drive but SH-AWD can send upto 70% to the rear under certain conditions. But the big difference here is that those german standard AWD systems cannot torque vector in the real way (i.e they can’t send power sideways across an axle like SH-AWD does, instead they use brakes to stop one spinning wheel to force the power to go to the other side due to the open differentials). To get systems that can send power sideways with real torque vectoring like SH-AWD can, you have to step up to more higher end trims or spend a few extra thousand.

Now from my own personal experience. The German systems tend to send too much power to the rear in snowy and icy conditions if you are not careful with the throttle and this results in the rear wnting to go sideways. SH-AWD on the other hand is much more controlled in icy and snowy conditions and I was extremely impressed at how capable and stable it felt. In terms of dry summer handling, I couldn’t feel a huge difference between the German systems and SH-AWD but that’s because both systems send a lot of rearward torque during cornering leading to a much more solid feeling. In terms of off roading, I never took my SH-AWD equipped cars offroad but I have taken some of the Germans and due to having a more solid differential based AWD system in the germans vs multi-plate clutches in the SH-AWD, I feel that the other systems could handle continuous offroading much better without over heating and disengaging.

I’m going to attach a video of SH-AWD vs other AWD systems and you’ll see how capable of a system it is. Hands down my favourite system so far.

And

For the second video skip to about 4 minutes and you’ll see they test SH-AWD against numerous other systems and it destroys them. You’ll also see what I mean about German systems sending too much power to the rear in icy conditions causing the vehicles to go sideways.

Last edited by RDX10; 01-29-2018 at 04:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by RDX10:
getakey (01-30-2018), hulk369 (01-30-2018), Kbdixon (01-30-2018), moose66 (01-29-2018)
Old 01-29-2018, 07:32 PM
10th Gear

I fully agree with RDX10 I have had a bit of experience as well and I find this car to be the best I have driven in the situations you would face. Let’s be honest driving thru 3feet of fresh powder is not it’s forte, but accessing your Home on an uphill driveway no problem. The system is very intuitive moving power seamlessly, it is easily the best most confidence inspiring I’ve driven. No buttons to push or differentials to lock just point it and go.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:36 PM
10th Gear

Oh also I did use a ‘17 for a day that had the Acura watch system, i’m Not a fan of that type of device so I can’t really give much of an opinion I find most of them to be far to intrusive.
Old 01-30-2018, 01:00 PM
10th Gear

Thank you for those video, I have actually seen one of these video on youtube before, but I always question if it truly is a test as each car manufacturer does these test and shows how good their systems are? Also, how can we tell if the driver is not putting his best effort on the competitors vehicles vs. his own brand.It would be nice to see some real owners do these test, which I understand would be very hard to do as they wont either have access to these extreme courses or cars from multiple brands.Besides, the AWD system, how was your experience with BMW and Audi brand and ownership.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by hulk369
Thank you for those video, I have actually seen one of these video on youtube before, but I always question if it truly is a test as each car manufacturer does these test and shows how good their systems are? Also, how can we tell if the driver is not putting his best effort on the competitors vehicles vs. his own brand.It would be nice to see some real owners do these test, which I understand would be very hard to do as they wont either have access to these extreme courses or cars from multiple brands.Besides, the AWD system, how was your experience with BMW and Audi brand and ownership.
You are correct, I never trust these videos made by the manufacturers because it’s easy to fake it and make it look like you are trying with the other brands but really not trying. I.e turning traction control on/off on one car and not the others can cause an effect, not to mention tires as well. But these videos do match my actual experience so although I do take them with a grain of salt, I still think they are accurate.

In terms of ownership experience, I will NEVER EVER EVER EVER buy or own a BMW again. The most unreliable steaming piles of trash I ever owned. They also have some of the stupidest service needs I have ever seen for example when I needed to change the battery, it was $350 for the gigantic battery AND you have to reprogram the battery which is an extra cost. I have never seen that in my entire life. And yes you read that right, you have to have the dealer program the battery to your car!!

In terms of Audi, I will be blunt and admit I am a Volkswagen auto group fanboy so I love the products, ownership experience was MUCH MUCH better but maintenance costs can be expensive. I needed to repair the driveshaft on my Touareg (platform mate of Q7) and the dealer wanted $2200, my independent mechanic only charged me $500 all in. However in my experience and opinion Audi’s are easier and cheaper to repair than BMW’s, they tend to have little annoying problems that generally won’t leave you stranded vs major catastrophic problems in the BMW’s that will. But both can leave you stranded whereas I really don’t feel that recent Acuras will.

Though keep in mind any German car costs a lot to repair. I absolutely love the reliabiliy and low maintenance costs of Acura products, for example my MDX blower motor (the one for the interior heater) started making a clicking sound so I went and bougt it from the dealer for $120, to keep that in perspecive when the blower motor got ruined on the Audi it was $750 at the dealer. So that’s why I love Acura products and am not looking at anything German. However one thing I have to give the germans is that they are by far the most quality built vehicles. Rich materials generally line all surfaces whereas more recent acuras have nice materials up top and crappy materials down low.

Last edited by RDX10; 01-30-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:29 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Just keep in mind that the current SH-AWD is NOT the same exact system as shown in that video above.. the new one is more of a shared platform with the VTM-4 based AWD system with additional features. I'm not sure anyone has really re-done that test with the new SH-AWD yet.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neoshi
Just keep in mind that the current SH-AWD is NOT the same exact system as shown in that video above.. the new one is more of a shared platform with the VTM-4 based AWD system with additional features. I'm not sure anyone has really re-done that test with the new SH-AWD yet.
I was going to mention this as well, the 2016+ MDX has the second generation SH-AWD system as well. Though it really doesn’t act any differently than the old system (i.e it still sends power the same way the old system does), it’s supposed to be just a lot faster or something like that. I can attest to that because I was given a 2016 MDX to drive around for a few days and I immediately noticed that the system was extremely quick to responsd, almost proactively torque vectoring and I was really quite impressed with it. I’d imagine the results would be the same except it would be MUCH quicker doing it. Truly is a world class AWD system and there is a reason so many manufacturers copied the idea only more recently.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:55 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We currently have a '16 MDX SH-AWD and a '17 Q7 3.0T Quattro. I like the MDX and highly recommend it at it's price point. But, the Audi gets the nod from me because it's advantages to me outweighs its price.

Advantage Q7:
1. Ride. It's amazingly quiet and smooth.
2. Handling. Better than the BMW 5 series and MB E series we've owned. Curves are FUN again, can be driven hard and stays stable and well planted. It's easy to forget you're in an SUV.
3. Transmission. Silky smooth, barely noticeable.
4. Comfort. Great seats, roomy even for my 6'4" frame and the serene cabin makes for a truly luxury experience.
5. Options. Audi offers a lot of individual options for each trim level allowing easy personalization.
6. Towing. Q7 tows 7,700 lbs. Has automatic tow mode when you hook up trailer. Transmission and engine stay smooth and quiet when towing.
7. Second row seats. Very roomy, lots of backward adjustment available.

Advantage MDX:
1. Price. Similarly equipped would have cost $10K less than my Audi.
2. Storage. MDX has abundant and easily accessed storage. Audi skimps on storage and it's hard to access. No sun glass holder on Audi.
3. Controls. Maybe I'm just used to the MDX since I've driven it more, but it's controls seem easier to navigate. But, both systems need lots of improvement.
4. 3rd row seat. Audi is slightly more comfortable according to my grand kids, but they're complicated to access.
5. Friendliness. A very subjective thing, but the MDX just seems to be like an old friend you're comfortable being with.
6. Safety features. They're standard on MDX, expensive option on Q7.

Ties;
1. AWD. I've found both to be good in snow and long stretches of slippery mud. Both pull my boat out of slippery ramps with ease. Also, I can tell no difference on dry roads.
2. Styling. I find both to be relatively plain.

What will I buy next? IF the MDX improves the transmission and adds a little non hybrid power, I'll definitely consider again. IF the Q7 resale value is good, I'll definitely consider again. Otherwise, I'll be considering other SUV's. Change in the auto industry is so rapid now, who knows what choices we'll have in a few years. I sincerely hope Acura keeps up, but based on their sedans, I'm not sure.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:33 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by gm4511
We currently have a '16 MDX SH-AWD and a '17 Q7 3.0T Quattro. I like the MDX and highly recommend it at it's price point. But, the Audi gets the nod from me because it's advantages to me outweighs its price.

Advantage Q7:
1. Ride. It's amazingly quiet and smooth.
2. Handling. Better than the BMW 5 series and MB E series we've owned. Curves are FUN again, can be driven hard and stays stable and well planted. It's easy to forget you're in an SUV.
3. Transmission. Silky smooth, barely noticeable.
4. Comfort. Great seats, roomy even for my 6'4" frame and the serene cabin makes for a truly luxury experience.
5. Options. Audi offers a lot of individual options for each trim level allowing easy personalization.
6. Towing. Q7 tows 7,700 lbs. Has automatic tow mode when you hook up trailer. Transmission and engine stay smooth and quiet when towing.
7. Second row seats. Very roomy, lots of backward adjustment available.

Advantage MDX:
1. Price. Similarly equipped would have cost $10K less than my Audi.
2. Storage. MDX has abundant and easily accessed storage. Audi skimps on storage and it's hard to access. No sun glass holder on Audi.
3. Controls. Maybe I'm just used to the MDX since I've driven it more, but it's controls seem easier to navigate. But, both systems need lots of improvement.
4. 3rd row seat. Audi is slightly more comfortable according to my grand kids, but they're complicated to access.
5. Friendliness. A very subjective thing, but the MDX just seems to be like an old friend you're comfortable being with.
6. Safety features. They're standard on MDX, expensive option on Q7.

Ties;
1. AWD. I've found both to be good in snow and long stretches of slippery mud. Both pull my boat out of slippery ramps with ease. Also, I can tell no difference on dry roads.
2. Styling. I find both to be relatively plain.

What will I buy next? IF the MDX improves the transmission and adds a little non hybrid power, I'll definitely consider again. IF the Q7 resale value is good, I'll definitely consider again. Otherwise, I'll be considering other SUV's. Change in the auto industry is so rapid now, who knows what choices we'll have in a few years. I sincerely hope Acura keeps up, but based on their sedans, I'm not sure.
This is very helpful, since you own both the cars that we are considering too, I don't like the MDX interior as it looks outdated to me. Is the Q7 worth $10,000 more? is the MDX fun to drive compared to the Q7?
When going on a test drive, how do I tell how good the Acura SH-AWD is? is there a way to test it?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 207 Posts
. . . . . . . . . . I sincerely hope Acura keeps up, but based on their sedans, I'm not sure.
Very nice assessment here. With regard to your last comment, the MDX is Acura's bread and butter. They have to keep that on or above par with the competition, while they play catch up with the non-hybrid sedans.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:07 PM
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10

I was going to mention this as well, the 2016+ MDX has the second generation SH-AWD system as well. Though it really doesn’t act any differently than the old system (i.e it still sends power the same way the old system does), it’s supposed to be just a lot faster or something like that. I can attest to that because I was given a 2016 MDX to drive around for a few days and I immediately noticed that the system was extremely quick to responsd, almost proactively torque vectoring and I was really quite impressed with it. I’d imagine the results would be the same except it would be MUCH quicker doing it. Truly is a world class AWD system and there is a reason so many manufacturers copied the idea only more recently.
You might find this interesting (if you haven't already seen it):
Old 01-31-2018, 12:11 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by moose66
Very nice assessment here. With regard to your last comment, the MDX is Acura's bread and butter. They have to keep that on or above par with the competition, while they play catch up with the non-hybrid sedans.
Well said. I plan to continue driving the Q7 after the MDX lease is up. My wife wants another BMW 5 series. I'm hoping Acura makes major changes in the TLX line but as of today, my wife won't even consider.

s the Q7 worth $10,000 more? is the MDX fun to drive compared to the Q7?
When going on a test drive, how do I tell how good the Acura SH-AWD is? is there a way to test it?[
Both the SH-AWD and the new Quattro have been out long enough to find plenty of reviews. With a little research, you'll find both work well and do the job. I don't know of any test you can do. Nor have I ever experienced any unique performance aspects in either in my driving. They both work well and provide good traction in any condition.

As to fun from spirited driving, my pick is the Q7. The MDX is pleasant and friendly but just doesn't handle or accelerate as well to meet my definition of fun.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:13 PM
10th Gear

Sorry, failed to answer is it worth $10K more. No one can answer that except the buyer. Drive em both and decide.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by neoshi
You might find this interesting (if you haven't already seen it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ryxvcZltEw
Very interesting, it seems to really be struggling and not quite sending enough power to the rear. It almost looks like the SH-AWD system is unwilling to send power to the one rear wheel with grip. I would have liked to see the SH-AWD screen in real time along with the video, it would have answered my questions. Thanks for sharing.

Well said. I plan to continue driving the Q7 after the MDX lease is up. My wife wants another BMW 5 series. I'm hoping Acura makes major changes in the TLX line but as of today, my wife won't even consider.

Both the SH-AWD and the new Quattro have been out long enough to find plenty of reviews. With a little research, you'll find both work well and do the job. I don't know of any test you can do. Nor have I ever experienced any unique performance aspects in either in my driving. They both work well and provide good traction in any condition.

As to fun from spirited driving, my pick is the Q7. The MDX is pleasant and friendly but just doesn't handle or accelerate as well to meet my definition of fun.
I don’t find your last sentence surprising at all, the MDX is great for a 7 passenger vehicle but it’s not particularly nimble and the Germans simply can’t be beat when it comes to handling and connectedness to the road. I also agree with you that SH-AWD and Quattro and fairly even in terms of performance. I personally do think the Q7 is worth the extra 10K (Much higher quality interior, MUCH MUCH better drivetrain, way better looking, tech that is not from 2004, way more features available, and a bit better handling). From what I understand Audi reliability has increased 10 fold vs the mid to late 2000’s and Acura has dropped since the mid to late 2000’s. If I could afford the Q7, I would go for it, but if not the MDX is still a very good option.