What other cars have you considered?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 11:27 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
What other cars have you considered?

So I currently own a 2011 MDX Advance. I am now in the market for a replacement car for the simple reason that I like white cars and my MDX is not white.

So I am looking at BMW X5, Audi Q7, and Acura MDX SH-AWD w Advance and Entertainment.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation of having to pick between these three vehicles or any similar ones?

Here is where I currently stand:

X5 - drove it and like it. 3.5 model w X-line and premium package. The way I configured it it was about $73k. Car drove great and had great power. Exterior styling is right on par w what I like. However, I wasn't the least bit impressed w the entertainment system. They also said if I ever put in a remote starter I would void the warranty. They don't support remote starters, not even factory option. Next, the 3rd row is utterly useless. Lastly, the nav unit always stays up and looks weird to me. I got them down to about $69k but to me it wasn't worth it.

Audi Q7 - similarly configured to an MDX Advance. I would be going for the prestige model w S-Line package and 21" rims. The Q7 bigger and more spacious than X5. I haven't driven it yet but intend to soon. Styling wise it's a bit aged but I still like it. I am still waiting on price but I expect to be at about $64k

Acura MDX - went to the dealer yesterday to check it out. I didn't fall in love with it like I hoped I would. I was not impressed w the advance rims either. The ones on my 2011 are much nicer. Plus the car felt so low to the ground compared to my 2011. Oh, and I hate that it doesn't have exhaust pipes. That said, if I go this route I would go 2015 Advance w running boards and fogs plus a bunch of other goodies. The price for just the car is $52,500 based on my last and best negotiation. The reason I am still considering the MDX is because my wife still likes it and is leaning towards the Acura over the Audi. I have always been a fan of Honda and Acura and I'm sure if I get this MDX I will learn to love it.

So all that said, I think it's between Audi and Acura at this point. I 'll post up w final decision but would like to know what you folks out there think. Thanks.

W
Old 09-04-2014, 08:47 AM
AcuraEnthusiast

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I test drove the Infiniti QX 60 and Toyota Highlander and decided on the MDX due to a few reasons:

1. Best looking 3RD row SUV in my opinion.
2. Brand Loyalty. I've owned Acuras/Hondas since 1996. They are easy to work on and haven't given me much issues.
3. For the features and add-ons I put on the vehicle, it's top notch in terms of entertainment and looks.
4. Cost of maintenance is much lower than other luxury brands.
5. Resale value is pretty good on Acuras.

If the Rims are a big issue for you, you can get a set of 20" - 22" Vossens and they look very good on Acura vehicles. It will still run cheaper than the AUDI or BMW. Good luck.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 AM
Honda OG

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I've considered:
BMW X3/4/5
Toyota 4-Runner

Coming from a BMW, I knew the quality of handling of the BMW would be pretty high up there. However, given the options that I wanted (M-Sport Package) and just minor options, the price shot through the roof-- to the point where it was unreasonable (IMO).
Also, knowing first hand the upkeep/maintenance costs have the added "German Tax", I had to pass.

The 4-Runner has a lot of value for the money, but then it seems rather boring overall.

The MDX was the clear winner due to the pricing and what is included (basically everything I wanted). Honda/Acura have long been front-runners in resale/reliability and that was also a main concern.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 AM
2G TLX-S

Received 1,133 Likes on 813 Posts
Q7, but it is too expensive, slow, and dated.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:05 PM
Racer

I spoke to a dealer today and the Q7 configured to my liking would need to be ordered and it would be a 3 month wait. I'm not really in a rush but I also don't want to take delivery in the winter when I can't even detail it because it's 30 degrees out. They also came back at $68k which I thought was high for a an outgoing model.

So far looks like MDX is the front runner. It seems to make the most sense from a reliability and maintenance perspective. Also can't beat the value. I do know first hand how reliable they are. I have never had an issue with mine. I put gas in it , change oil every 7500 miles and that's about it.

I like the Ron Jon Inspyre IIs so if I get the MDX I will most likely get a set for nice months and throw on a set of winter tires on the advance rims for the winter months.

Thanks for the input all. I will update once I have a new car.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just traded my 2011 advance on a leftover 14 advance. Other than a few minor things, I don't miss my 11. The ride is so much quieter and smoother on he 14. I was looking at the Jeep GC Overland but the space in the mdx, for the family, won out. My wife drives a 13 MDX tech and it is tough to drive that after driving my 14.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM
Honda OG

Originally Posted by ntwillie1
I spoke to a dealer today and the Q7 configured to my liking would need to be ordered and it would be a 3 month wait. I'm not really in a rush but I also don't want to take delivery in the winter when I can't even detail it because it's 30 degrees out. They also came back at $68k which I thought was high for a an outgoing model.

So far looks like MDX is the front runner. It seems to make the most sense from a reliability and maintenance perspective. Also can't beat the value. I do know first hand how reliable they are. I have never had an issue with mine. I put gas in it , change oil every 7500 miles and that's about it.

I like the Ron Jon Inspyre IIs so if I get the MDX I will most likely get a set for nice months and throw on a set of winter tires on the advance rims for the winter months.

Thanks for the input all. I will update once I have a new car.
Worth noting, German cars are going to cost you when you're out of warranty. I know first hand (BMW) and friends that have owned Audi's will attest to this (they are the most likely to have issues).

I once asked a friend who worked as a tech at an Audi dealer to get me a discount on a new A4. He said just lease an Audi because it'll be a nightmare after the warranty period.

Like I've said earlier, I've considered the BMW X3/4/5, but ultimately, for the money, the MDX is a whole lot of value.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
right now my wife and I are looking at an MDX, an Audi Allroad and an RDX. I am poo-poohing the RDX because to me the Honda shows through too much and I have heard bad stuff about the Nav. we can get a '15 RDX for $46 plus tax which is a bargain compared to what Audi sells for the same money. we will test drive the allroad, but I am pushing for the RDX as the reliability can't be beat.
Old 09-05-2014, 09:46 PM
Honda OG

I considered the RDX also, but the pricing difference between the RDX and the MDX made no sense (I priced out RDX to be about 41K, I got my MDX for 45K). Getting a lot more space for that little difference in price.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Racer

Well, I went ahead and made a decision today. I went with an.........MDX .

I went to the dealer today and test drove one and was really happy with the feel and performance of the car. I could really feel the difference between Comfort/Normal/Sport modes and the car had good acceleration and was quite.

When I originally purchased my 2011 Advance it was the only way to get blind spot monitoring, 19" rims, and the active dynamic suspension. Today I test drove a Tech and was surprised to learn that blind spot monitoring was now standard, as was lane departure alerting, IDC and 19" rims. I have to say, the car is really really nicely equipped. Anyway, I test drove A Black on Black Tech with rear entertainment and I was really tempted to go with not only a tech but also black on black and the fact that it was $7k less didn't hurt either. The two reasons my daily driver will never be a black car are;
1. Its too much work keeping it clean. And I am obsessive about my cars being clean.
2. Door dings show a lot more than on light colors.

Anyway, back on topic. I ended up going with my original choice which was White Diamond Pearl with Eucalyptus interior. I went with the Advanced because it has the bigger screen, and I didn't want to give up the ventilated seats which I don't really use anyway but I like knowing I have them. The Advanced also had the lane departure warning in addition to the lane keep assistant, parking sensors and the roof rails which I do use because I have bikes I need to transport and a Thule Roof Box.

Things that really helped seal the deal in the order of importance to me are:
1. It uses regular gas. This was a pleasant surprise.
2. I got $26,500 for my trade in which has just a tick over 52k miles.
3. Got the car for $52,500. Most dealers wanted somewhere in the range of $53,800
4. Dealer experience. This is the second car I purchase from them. They are
respectful and pretty straight forward and I also like their service department. I was
in and out in 2 hours and that's only because I was out test driving the car with my
wife and kid for 45 min. I took it up to the mountains, down some local streets,
up and down the highway, etc..
5. Got them to throw in the 1st and 2nd row all weather mats and the wheel locks. I
know, almost everyone gets them, but hey, every little bit you get helps.

I was initially set on getting a German car, either BMW or Audi, but after comparing all three and driving two of the three I can honestly say that from a value perspective the other vehicles just don't compare to the MDX. I still don't like the Rims the Advance comes with but I will get some Ron Jons to fix that.

lastly, I added the fog lights, running boards, heated steering wheel, and illuminated door sills. I payed for all of those up front as I didn't want them bundled into my payments. I will separately be buying the cross bars, rear bumper appliqué, and splash guards and installing those myself. Still undecided what I'm going to do about the hitch as I need it for my Thule bike rack.

Well, that's all, that's my buying experience. Thanks to everyone who provided input and shared their experiences. I'll update this post with a pic of the car once it comes in which is several weeks out.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 09-05-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-05-2014, 10:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by NelsonLee
Worth noting, German cars are going to cost you when you're out of warranty. I know first hand (BMW) and friends that have owned Audi's will attest to this (they are the most likely to have issues).

I once asked a friend who worked as a tech at an Audi dealer to get me a discount on a new A4. He said just lease an Audi because it'll be a nightmare after the warranty period.

Like I've said earlier, I've considered the BMW X3/4/5, but ultimately, for the money, the MDX is a whole lot of value.
Amen to that.
The following users liked this post:
NelsonLee (09-08-2014)
Old 09-06-2014, 01:07 AM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

This is exactly why the MDX is selling like hotcakes.
Old 09-06-2014, 08:54 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
another point is that the MDX engine is a six cylinder. I know that there's a lot of technology out there, but I have a little hesitancy throwing $50k at a four cylinder like and Audi Q5.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:30 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I went ahead and made a decision today. I went with an.........MDX .

I went to the dealer today and test drove one and was really happy with the feel and performance of the car. I could really feel the difference between Comfort/Normal/Sport modes and the car had good acceleration and was quite.

When I originally purchased my 2011 Advance it was the only way to get blind spot monitoring, 19" rims, and the active dynamic suspension. Today I test drove a Tech and was surprised to learn that blind spot monitoring was now standard, as was lane departure alerting, IDC and 19" rims. I have to say, the car is really really nicely equipped. Anyway, I test drove A Black on Black Tech with rear entertainment and I was really tempted to go with not only a tech but also black on black and the fact that it was $7k less didn't hurt either. The two reasons my daily driver will never be a black car are;
1. Its too much work keeping it clean. And I am obsessive about my cars being clean.
2. Door dings show a lot more than on light colors.

Anyway, back on topic. I ended up going with my original choice which was White Diamond Pearl with Eucalyptus interior. I went with the Advanced because it has the bigger screen, and I didn't want to give up the ventilated seats which I don't really use anyway but I like knowing I have them. The Advanced also had the lane departure warning in addition to the lane keep assistant, parking sensors and the roof rails which I do use because I have bikes I need to transport and a Thule Roof Box.

Things that really helped seal the deal in the order of importance to me are:
1. It uses regular gas. This was a pleasant surprise.
2. I got $26,500 for my trade in which has just a tick over 52k miles.
3. Got the car for $52,500. Most dealers wanted somewhere in the range of $53,800
4. Dealer experience. This is the second car I purchase from them. They are
respectful and pretty straight forward and I also like their service department. I was
in and out in 2 hours and that's only because I was out test driving the car with my
wife and kid for 45 min. I took it up to the mountains, down some local streets,
up and down the highway, etc..
5. Got them to throw in the 1st and 2nd row all weather mats and the wheel locks. I
know, almost everyone gets them, but hey, every little bit you get helps.

I was initially set on getting a German car, either BMW or Audi, but after comparing all three and driving two of the three I can honestly say that from a value perspective the other vehicles just don't compare to the MDX. I still don't like the Rims the Advance comes with but I will get some Ron Jons to fix that.

lastly, I added the fog lights, running boards, heated steering wheel, and illuminated door sills. I payed for all of those up front as I didn't want them bundled into my payments. I will separately be buying the cross bars, rear bumper appliqué, and splash guards and installing those myself. Still undecided what I'm going to do about the hitch as I need it for my Thule bike rack.

Well, that's all, that's my buying experience. Thanks to everyone who provided input and shared their experiences. I'll update this post with a pic of the car once it comes in which is several weeks out.
the red bolded letters is not correct right?
Old 09-08-2014, 07:39 AM
Racer

Nvasquez, that's what my sales guy told me. Come to think of it I never went back and researched it. My current 2011 advance uses premium only so I thought that was odd but didn't debate it. I will research and confirm if true or false. That would suck if it doesn't as I was excited about it.
Old 09-08-2014, 07:42 AM
Racer

I just went on acura's website. Says some models do, some models don't require premium gas. Consult your dealer. - Not the answer I was looking for. I will have to read the manual to see what it states. Unfortunately I don't have the manual yet as I haven't picked up the car. If someone else can confirm I would appreciate it. My gut feeling now is that this one will require premium 91 octane.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Intermediate

I just went on acura's website. Says some models do, some models don't require premium gas. Consult your dealer. - Not the answer I was looking for. I will have to read the manual to see what it states. Unfortunately I don't have the manual yet as I haven't picked up the car. If someone else can confirm I would appreciate it. My gut feeling now is that this one will require premium 91 octane.
don't worry i was not trying to be mean, it is just that the acura line up only uses 91 octane, but overall you got a nice car. congrats.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Honda OG

Originally Posted by nvasquez269
don't worry i was not trying to be mean, it is just that the acura line up only uses 91 octane, but overall you got a nice car. congrats.
I almost always go with 93/94. At about 19.5 gallons, the extra $4-5 (91 vs 93) is worth the piece of mind.
Old 09-22-2014, 12:54 PM
Racer

Has anyone considered the MB ML350 4matic?
Old 09-22-2014, 02:06 PM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
We are in the market for a replacement car for my wife. She likes the MB ML350 but it's pricey and a MMC is expected in Mid-2015.

Anyways, we tend to keep our vehicles for more then 5 years so Acura reliability and value is our choice.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Like many other cars made today, the MDX can retard timing on the engine if it detects even the slightest bit of engine knock. This means it can run on either type of gas. When you fill up your gas in the car you will see that it says on the gas cap (or the door, I forget which): Premium fuel recommended. That means it is not required, so you could use regular gas if you want. However one of the drawbacks of retarding the timing is that horsepower will drop and gas mileage will drop too. You can test it out but generally you will find that the drop in mpg is not worth the savings on regular gas.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Racer

Going w Acura

Originally Posted by CybrRdr
We are in the market for a replacement car for my wife. She likes the MB ML350 but it's pricey and a MMC is expected in Mid-2015.

Anyways, we tend to keep our vehicles for more then 5 years so Acura reliability and value is our choice.
I agree about the Acura reliability. Since my car hasn't been delivered yet I figured I would talk to an MB dealer in my area today regarding an ML 350. I had an Mb before and the dealership was great. This time not so much. They didn't want to negotiate much and basically said that if I buy the Acura I am getting what I pay for. I had some choice words for him after that comment. I hate how the German car sales folks are so arrogant and think their cars are the end all and ultimate pinnacle of the car world.

I'm going to stick w Acura for this next car. I just hope I don't experience the issues I have been reading about on this forum. That's really the only concern Imhave w buying another MDX. My current one is rock solid.
Old 09-23-2014, 03:18 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I have a 2012 ML350 4Matic and very shortly, maybe by the end of the week we will be moving back to either Acura or Lexus. We had two MDX’s a 2005 and 2008 that were great before moving to MB (wife wanted the ML).

We also considered the Q7 and QX60 but narrowed it down to either another MDX SH-AWD Tech or an RX350 F-Sport.

Since this will be my wife's vehicle she makes the final decision and for someone who never liked the regular RX in the past the F-Sport has changed her mind. We have driven both and while they are close I tend to feel she wants the RX F-Sport.

Anyway, we had a 2011 ML350 that was hands down the worst vehicle we ever owned. Interior rattles, creaks, problems with the Command system, trans, steering and electrical. It was so bad that after approx 15 months of discussions with MBUSA and 18 to 19 service visits MB agreed to buy it back and put us into a 2012 ML350, MB calls it a substitution of collateral.

While the 2012 is light years ahead of the 2011 ML IMO it still leaves a lot to be desired in terms of features and quality. The trans still hesitates way more than I think it should and there are a lot of interior creaks that are just unacceptable. I have driven 2013 ML350 loaners that also creak on the inside so I know its not just ours.

And if you’re considering the dollar value you can’t beat the MDX compared to the ML. Sure you could option an ML350 to equip it like an Advance but it will cost you a heck of a lot more. I mean at the price (not MSRP) you could get an Advance for you won’t even get HID lights in the ML.

And if you buy the ML don’t forget the maintenance plan (not extended warranty) which depending on which one you choose, 36, 48 or 60 months could run anywhere from $1,000 to $2,500. So needless to say, IMO I don’t think the ML is worth the money.

Good luck with your decision and if you decide on the ML I have two words for you.

LEASE IT.

Last edited by JT4; 09-23-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2014, 04:42 PM
Racer

JT4, thanks for your advice. I most likely will end up in a new 2015 MDX.
Old 09-24-2014, 10:45 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
JT4, thanks for your advice. I most likely will end up in a new 2015 MDX.
You're welcome.. Good Luck with the MDX
Old 09-24-2014, 11:43 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Toyota Highlander
Toyota 4Runner
Lexus GX 460
Lexus RX 350

I didn't even bother to look at the German due to reliable issues.

Went with the MDX because just like some of the members here were saying "the best 7 passengers vehicle out there at the moment". I'm a loyal Lexus fan, I just wished they had better 7 passengers SUV. the LX is king but too expensive.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:54 PM
Racer

one of the biggest reasons I was looking at the German SUVs was because of style. I really like the way the X5 looks, and I like the way the ML looks with the AMG package (not the actual AMG ML). I think the MDX is a bit conservative looking. Who knows, maybe I'm hitting a mid-life crisis, lol.

I plan on getting some Ron Jon Inspyre II wheels for the MDX. Its supposed to arrive at my dealer in the next 2 weeks. My only concern with putting after market wheels on the car is that the brakes might look too small. Either way, I'd rather have a nice looking reliable car more than a really good looking car that isn't reliable.
Old 09-24-2014, 02:24 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
So I currently own a 2011 MDX Advance. I am now in the market for a replacement car for the simple reason that I like white cars and my MDX is not white.

So I am looking at BMW X5, Audi Q7, and Acura MDX SH-AWD w Advance and Entertainment.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation of having to pick between these three vehicles or any similar ones?

Here is where I currently stand:

X5 - drove it and like it. 3.5 model w X-line and premium package. The way I configured it it was about $73k. Car drove great and had great power. Exterior styling is right on par w what I like. However, I wasn't the least bit impressed w the entertainment system. They also said if I ever put in a remote starter I would void the warranty. They don't support remote starters, not even factory option. Next, the 3rd row is utterly useless. Lastly, the nav unit always stays up and looks weird to me. I got them down to about $69k but to me it wasn't worth it.

Audi Q7 - similarly configured to an MDX Advance. I would be going for the prestige model w S-Line package and 21" rims. The Q7 bigger and more spacious than X5. I haven't driven it yet but intend to soon. Styling wise it's a bit aged but I still like it. I am still waiting on price but I expect to be at about $64k

Acura MDX - went to the dealer yesterday to check it out. I didn't fall in love with it like I hoped I would. I was not impressed w the advance rims either. The ones on my 2011 are much nicer. Plus the car felt so low to the ground compared to my 2011. Oh, and I hate that it doesn't have exhaust pipes. That said, if I go this route I would go 2015 Advance w running boards and fogs plus a bunch of other goodies. The price for just the car is $52,500 based on my last and best negotiation. The reason I am still considering the MDX is because my wife still likes it and is leaning towards the Acura over the Audi. I have always been a fan of Honda and Acura and I'm sure if I get this MDX I will learn to love it.

So all that said, I think it's between Audi and Acura at this point. I 'll post up w final decision but would like to know what you folks out there think. Thanks.

W
I think you are looking at the usual crowd we all looked into, I think the MDX trumps them all by doing everything very well without being extraordinary in any particular area. It gets a Bplus in every category while the others get A in one particular category they get D in others. When you factor in value it becomes a no contest proposition. Driving, the only 3 row SUV thats anywhere as good to drive as the MDX is the Bimmer (the Bimmer is barely a 3 row SUV and as an option for a midget family). FE Acura wins. Space Acura is number 2 after the larger Q. Acceleration, Among base engines Acura is right up there with the competition. Safety, Acura is #1 in standard goodies (advanced model). Audio Again Acura is right up there. Luxury, this is probably where Acura gets a B minus, but its nice enough. Then there is price, if you price any of the competition at similar equipment levels the MDX is 5-10K less. So there you get it, not only does it win the decathlon its cheaper too!
Now if Acura could do the same thing for any of its sedans........
Old 12-07-2014, 09:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus would have been my choice as well if not for the FUGLY GX series...that is beyond ugliness, and can't have it in V6 trim. The interior, however, owns the MDX hands down.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:33 PM
2G TLX-S

^^^^^

bmw x5 ?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
I had a GL350 on order. After many months of waiting for a build slot, I drove an X and cancelled the MB. I found the X handled much more car-like, had better performance and had some options not available on the GL (i.e. Active lane keeping using steering rather than braking.)

The fact the X was $30G cheaper was a bonus

Also considered the X5 (too small), QX60 (didn't like the CVT and poor reviews.) GM Acadia (too truck like, no adaptive cruise)

Last edited by CalmSeasQuest; 12-07-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:28 PM
10th Gear

I looked at the following cars before purchasing my 15 MDX SH-AWD Tech Package.

1. VW Touareg TDi R-Line
2. Audi Q7 TDi
3. Toyota 4-runner TRD
4. Infiniti QX60

The Toyota and Infiniti were both nice cars but not what I was looking for. The 4-runner was too much like a truck and the Infiniti was too much like a minivan.

The Audi Q7 was very nice but it was dated feeling and really big when driving it.

The Touareg R-Line was the toss up. The car typically retails for $60k but the dealers were taking off almost $12k off MSRP on them. The main draw back was not having a 3rd row. I was actually convinced on buying it but my wife made me go to the Acura dealership to test drive one before buying the VW. I am glad she did because the MDX really seems to be a nicer vehicle, less money, more reliable, and about the same gas mileage running regular unleaded. I honestly dont think there is another 3rd row luxury SUV that compares to the MDX.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
RX 350 F-Sport...but ride was too harsh and too much road noise (no wind noise tho).
Old 12-31-2014, 10:41 AM
3rd Gear

Can anyone compare RX350 with MDX? I can't test drive RX because there's no Lexus dealership within 3 hours drive in my area.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM
AKYPA Owner

Originally Posted by Chopinsky
Can anyone compare RX350 with MDX? I can't test drive RX because there's no Lexus dealership within 3 hours drive in my area.
not sure if it would be fair comparison since rx is 2 row and mdx is 3 row vehicle
i would think rx should be compared to rdx and mdx with gx series
my 2 cents

on topic, we were considering QX60, personally really liked the interrior, 2nd row to me is more comfortable, more recline adj, allow to fold with infant car seat attached, overall felt bit more lux, but way underpowered engine, CVT, fuel economy is subpar, poor handling to my taste, were the deal breakers. Plus dont see too many on the street, and dealers in my area seem to have lots of them in stock, seems like dont sell as good as over comparable 3 row SUVs.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:06 PM
9th Gear

Has anyone researched Land Rover's new Discovery Sport? Looks like it's prices comparable to MDX, a little smaller but really nice interior.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:54 PM
2G TLX-S

Land Rover is famous for it's poor reliability vehicles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Edward'TLS:
integroid (01-07-2015), ntwillie1 (01-10-2015)
Old 01-07-2015, 01:39 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We considered the following vehicles.

Acura MDX
Acura RDX
Volvo XC60
Infiniti QX60
Nissan Pathfinder
Subaru Forester
Subaru Outback
Toyota Highlander
Honda Pilot
Honda Odyssey
Old 01-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Advanced

Sorry, missed one. Also looked at the Mercedes GLK and the Mercedes ML.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:57 PM
2015 MDX SH-AWD TECH

Traded our 2013 Acura RDX AWD w TECH. Wanted more space.

Considered
Infiniti QX60. Low HP, CVT, so so MPG.
Toyota Highlander Limited. Low dealer availability. No Limited for test drive.
Lexus RX350. No flat floor in cargo area (same as our RDX)
Honda Pilot Touring. No excitement. Bland styling. Dated Technology.
Porsche Macan S. Lot of WOW factor. Too new for inventory. 4 to 6 mo wait.
Acura MDX SH-AWD TECH. Had features we wanted.

Last edited by RDX FAN; 01-07-2015 at 03:59 PM.

Quick Reply: What other cars have you considered?